Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
No, but the canceled flights yesterday are still causing rebooking havoc today and it's been a massive pain in the rear end.

e: was supposed to be home 26 hours ago and I'm still in an airport

Wingnut Ninja fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
If anyone's interested, a cow-orker had some pretty good pictures of the damage from that storm that hit CHD a little while back:

Pictures here.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I've always wondered what an entire airport's worth of shattered dreams looked like.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

overdesigned posted:

I've always wondered what an entire airport's worth of shattered dreams looked like.

How about a major air show's worth?

(Sun 'n Fun tornado from a few years back)

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
My favorite "tornado vs airport" pictures are from the Christmas Day tornado that hit embry riddle a few years ago:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
How do I add big white text to a picture that says "Embry ROFL"

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
Is it just me or do dead airplanes and dead birds look similar, with having their feet sticking up?

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
please update o/p, the world has another ATP with a E170/190 type. :cool:

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

The Slaughter posted:

please update o/p, the world has another ATP with a E170/190 type. :cool:

Badass. Congrats man

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Is anyone at allinterested in building an aviation website/forum? Gear it towards pilots that arent doctors and dentists? I realize there are a few out there, and it's a really small population to pick from. I just think it could be done better.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
How do you prove someone's not a doctor? A common sense test? :rimshot:

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Tide posted:

Is anyone at allinterested in building an aviation website/forum? Gear it towards pilots that arent doctors and dentists? I realize there are a few out there, and it's a really small population to pick from. I just think it could be done better.

Holy crap, I'd never heard that stereotype and as I read it I realized how true to life it is....half the pilots I meet are doctors or dentists...

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Jealous Cow posted:

How do you prove someone's not a doctor? A common sense test? :rimshot:

No Bonanza owners allowed.

And no I would rather gouge my own eyes out with the claw end of a hammer than start an internet community for anything.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

MrChips posted:

When I get my first full time professor job (again) I am buying a bonanza immediately.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

MrChips posted:

Don't forget about Cirrus.

quote:

And no I would rather gouge my own eyes out with the claw end of a hammer than start an internet community for anything.

Where's your sense of adventure? Here's the chance to do it right with control of who stays or goes

:suicide: , probably

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

MrChips posted:

More like Malibus and Cirrus' these days. Dentists under canopy.

... and Eclipses. Jet-powered Gynecologists.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Tide posted:

Have you picked a color yet?

Is there an important distinction between doctors & dentists and other pilots that warrants having a different forum?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Tide posted:

Forums are pretty much dead thanks to Facebook. Just make a group on there and join the party of all ready too many pilot groups.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ausgezeichnet posted:

... and Eclipses. Jet-powered Gynecologists.

More like jet-powered speed bumps in the sky.

:v: "We'd like to request flight level three-five-zero."
:what: "Say planned mach at flight level three-five-zero?"
:v: "Uhhhhmmmm, Mach point six three."
:what: "...Maintain flight level two-niner-zero, I'll have higher when it's available." (IT WILL NEVER BE AVAILABLE YOU SLOW poo poo GO BACK TO YOUR BONANZA)

This is not to say that if given the keys to one, I wouldn't go fly it loving EVERYWHERE. They're just annoying to work.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

Tide posted:

Backcountry pilot I suspect isn't majority d/d . Euroga also has a more business centric membership.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
Had my first anomaly in the Arrow today. 10 minutes after takeoff we were leveled off at 2000' when the Gear Unsafe light came on. We trouble shot a bit, played with power settings, airspeeds, pitch attitude, but it persisted. We turned back and it extinguished itself. A few minutes later it came back on. On final we dropped the gear, got all 3 greens, did a low pass and tower indicated gear looked down and locked. Flew a pattern and landed without incident. Any Arrow experts in here know why the gear light would come on randomly like that?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

My guess is it's the same reason why that happens in literally every other aircraft ever; a bad or out of range microswitch.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I've done a lot of micro switch work when I was working as an a&p. Not guaranteeing you it's a switch but man those things are pretty rinky dink.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Arrow? Fly it into the ground. No more problems.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Rolo posted:

I've done a lot of micro switch work when I was working as an a&p. Not guaranteeing you it's a switch but man those things are pretty rinky dink.

Any decent mechanic should be able to chase the problem down, but often, a guy who specializes in your manufacturer, and works on a lot of your model might be worth going to. Rigging and adjusting gear switches is as much art as science.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products
Why aren't there any turbo-prop only discount airlines in the US? Would they not cost less per hour to fly, especially regional hops where the difference in speed and distance covered in smaller?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Public Charters has rebranded themselves about six times since I started flying with them. They fly Austin to Dallas for about $95 incl fees, and other flights with their main hub out of Victoria, TX about halfway down the coast between Houston and Corpus Christi. They fly the BAe Jetstream 30/31 exclusively I think, and fly direct in to DFW.

https://res.publiccharters.com/

This was taken at Austin-Bergstrom on Dec 26th, their morning flight to DFW + train ride to downtown gets me to the office about 10:30am after a holiday without needing to burn up a vacation day :dance:

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 23, 2015

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hummer Driving human being posted:

Why aren't there any turbo-prop only discount airlines in the US? Would they not cost less per hour to fly, especially regional hops where the difference in speed and distance covered in smaller?

I see you haven't heard of Great Lakes.

Unless you're thinking about running Allegiant or Southwest like routes on turboprops. In those cases the major money makers are transcontinental. There faster speeds and higher passenger capacity makes the the 737/A320 much more attractive. In places where puddle jumpers are economical there are already airlines filling that niche. Think Alaska or the Pacific Northwest (a lot of those are even piston driven!)

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Hummer Driving human being posted:

There are two airlines in the US (Piedmont and Horizon) that have done fairly well using fleets of turboprops, and both of them have route structures in areas where the legs are short enough to work well with turboprops.

In addition to those two airlines, there are also some companies that use smaller airplanes like Beech 1900's, Saab 340's, and Cessna Caravans (Great Lakes, SeaPort and PenAir come to mind), but they're generally limited to essential air service routes, and at least in the lower 48, they generally struggle to be profitable and have trouble attracting and keeping pilots.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
So this is making the rounds on Facebook....

https://soundcloud.com/atc-atc/booty-call

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

xaarman posted:

So this is making the rounds on Facebook....

https://soundcloud.com/atc-atc/booty-call

:perfect:

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

The Slaughter is on his first day of IOE in the E170.

I heard he kept his hat on the whole flight.

Edit: You should beg him for the photo of him in his hat and jacket. :)
You can block out your face Slaughter.

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 25, 2015

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Ah that's awesome! Congrats you crazy animal!

post that pic.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

After all that bitching and moaning he finally made it to the regionals! Congrats!

Now bend over here comes scheduling

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Never trust a pilot who wears a hat when he flies.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
Try not to get confused with the submarine/yacht captains out there, Slaughter

Animal posted:

After all that bitching and moaning he finally made it to the regionals! Congrats!

Now bend over here comes scheduling

Hence no better name than "Screw Support"...

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
So is pilot pay still garbage? I heard a while ago from that it was a better idea to work in retail or even fast food, or that you needed one of those jobs to supplement your pay if you worked for a major airline. Is this still the situation? Apologies if this has been posted about recently, if anyone could link me to a post about it that would be appreciated.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Mercury_Storm posted:

So is pilot pay still garbage? I heard a while ago from that it was a better idea to work in retail or even fast food, or that you needed one of those jobs to supplement your pay if you worked for a major airline. Is this still the situation? Apologies if this has been posted about recently, if anyone could link me to a post about it that would be appreciated.

It hasn't been discussed in detail recently.

Airline Pilot Central is a good place to start when looking at income for different airlines. It is updated frequently and has other information about the companies such as reserve rules, overtime rates, days off, etc

A first year FO at Compass (for example) makes $25/h @ their 75 hours min guarantee (if you fly more then 75 hours a month you make more but their base line is 75 hours of pay (some are more some are less than 75)) comes to about $22,500 then goes $33,300, $35,100, $36,900 years 2,3,4.

Mesa goes $20,064, $26,448, $29,184, $31,008.
PSA goes $21,600, $31,500, $34,200, $35,100.

This assumes you stay an FO. The upgrade at PSA, for example, is <2 year (they require 1000 hours in seat before upgrade which you could have in as little as 13-15 months). If you assume upgrade after 2 years then PSA's pay goes $21,600, $31,500, $61,200, $63,900. While this sounds pretty good, remember that a hiccup can severely ruin this plan. Bankruptcy, mergers, fleet reductions, fleet reallocations, stagnation, terrorism, accidents, etc all directly affect your ability to progress. Some ComAir pilots were FOs for >8 years before they closed.

Personally, I was a regional FO for 7.5 years before jumping ship to corporate/private aviation. At the end of my 7.5 years, I saw a merger that put junior pilots above me during a shrinking fleet, a bankruptcy that cut and capped my pay (I was making $35,100/y when I left), and I was moving away from an upgrade. It was demoralizing. I flew with some great people, got a lot of great experience, and was able to travel more than I would have making $20-30k/y at any other job (assuming you could get a seat and still afford a hotel/rental car on the other end).

I was "lucky" enough to "only" have about $50k in debt when I started flying commercially, some have much more ($120k+), some much less. There is a lot of time and money investment required to make it even to these entry level jobs. I know some guys who still love working for the airlines and will never leave, others, like myself, have left. I know people who left flying completely while still paying on their $80k aviation loan. I chose to stay in aviation because its my passion, I now work for a company that respects me and its refreshing.

All this said, YMMV, the industry is getting ready to see a mass exodus at the top and stagnation may not be a problem for airlines ever again. Majors are hiring again creating movement in the regionals. Regionals are offering bonuses and working on new contracts to attract the limited pool of qualified pilots. It is a an interesting time indeed.

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Aug 25, 2015

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I didn't crash, got 2 landings in, and the flight attendants said they were impressed given that IOE landings were pretty terrible and they had to ask both times who landed it. Woot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Any landing you can walk away from...

e: The wife is getting the pilot bug in a bad way. Weather here is finally being a bit more cooperative, still hotter than the damned sun. But we're flying more and more, so she may start her ppl soon-ish.

Tide fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 25, 2015

• Locked thread