Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Crazy Ted posted:

He was having an inordinate amount of fun playing with the kids' exhibits at the science museum I was visiting. And yes that is an MLP button right in the middle of his fedora, and scarf tied around his neck, and a shirt tied around his waist. Lets just assume he has a digital watch to complete the look.

Don't doxxx AAC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
This belongs here:

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
So salty

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Probably the same dude who wrote the Australian FA's response to losing to the USA in the Women's World Cup.

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!
Is Smalling the best defender in the league?

quote:

I really wouldn't swap him with anyone. He's an absolute beast. His reputation with neutrals is poor but he really is drat good.

Right now I think he's the best. He's way better than Kompany. John Terry perhaps with his experience may edge it but I think by the end of the season Smalling will surpass him.

quote:

If you were to say that Messi is running at the defence and there's 40 yards to goal I'm not sure there's any defender in the world I'd rather have against him than Smalling, except maybe Thiago Silva.

etc

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

pik_d posted:

This belongs here:

Best part of the article though:

Azpilicueta then looped a cross on to the top of Hart's net. On the other side of the pitch, Mangala resorted to WWE-style tactics to stop the ever-dangerous Diego Costa getting free down the right.

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:
Yep, that's also the way I'd do things. Which is part of why I want Rodgers gone. City never hired a douchey manager, Mancini and Pellegrini both have maintained their dignity. City is my second favorite team these days.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

quote:

We're just over halfway through August, let alone close to the end of the month. There are 36 games still left to play, 273 days until the 2015/16 Premier League champions are crowned.

There's so much to play for, but right now we can already write off Chelsea's chances of retaining their title.

It's not because there's a five-point gap already between them and City. It's not because Chelsea are not good enough, either.

It's because Chelsea aren't ready to defend their title. And when they will be, it'll be too late.

We saw it at the Etihad Stadium on Sunday.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

I hate ESPN so much god drat

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

What the gently caress is this? Jesus christ

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
loving americans

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
My thoughts are that against team that have deep-lying defense, the front three have to be rapidly interchanging. Mkhitaryan had a brilliant game (#10), playing the #11 role, along with Reus and Aubameyang.

I believe other teams have a similar #10 type player playing in the #11 spot that could help us break down d's that lie-back notably Messi/Barca and Robben/Bayren.

My thinking is that we'll have more spots for midfielders to interchange with each others, but also that we could get more of them on the pitch at the same time (Ramsey and Santi/Wilshere!). Against teams that sit back it's important to have players that can pass and move quirky (neither Giroud or Theo's strengths) and therefore would select Alexis and Oxlade-Chamberlin as a front two along with Ramsey…Behind them we could have a Kagawa type player in Cazorla and a more attacking Güdongan (Özil), and Coq. We would have to drop Özil further back, but he never scores. But could play behind Ramsey, Alexis and Ox. We'd need way more production out of Ramsey and Chambo, but I think we could see it. Might be a thing for another season, it could really open up tighter defenses, like it did against a team like Gladbach.

Finally for teams that play a higher line we could use two (maybe) of Theo, Giroud or Welbeck.

Just a thought.

Edit: I can't write for poo poo, and I live in America and don't have a football brain.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Best media production values in the world

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If ever there was a Look Inside you should click on Amazon, it's this one:

The Wit and Wisdom of Brendan Rodgers: Unplugged and unauthorised

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

wrong thread

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

lmao

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtfchBUM5_c

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Wep Cum explain yourself.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/21476/9956715/how-football-manager-is-helping-sky-sports-analyse-the-worlds-top-footballers

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

"Speed" isn't an attribute, idiots!

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Shrapnig posted:

Wep Cum explain yourself.

you would never understand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1QEwIeS998

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Finally, ALL of you so called "experts" who keep bringing up Sunderland,,,,,,………..DON’T ! IT just exposes how little you actually know about this game, and how much you COVET the Premier League (secretly), and just how much more you view that league as 50yrs. ahead of MLS! All of the comments say the same thing about Jozy…….."well, if you take out AZ, he did poorly everywhere else". But you can’t "take out" AZ ! You all think that WINNING A LEAGUE CUP in ANY LEAGUE, isn’t worth a hoot, because of his time at Sunderland and Hull, where he was berated, shafted, insulted by bigots and racists at Sunderland and Hull…..the coach Di Canio who brought him in, didn’t even get to coach him at that "dumpster fire" of a club, which BTW, wouldn’t make the playoffs in MLS, imo .

But go on drinking that Sky Sports Eurosnob kool-aid. I would ask for anyone who even watched his games at Sunderland, didn’t you think it strange how the older Scottish commentator on NBCET would nearly, every other time, say, "It has to be better from Altidore" in every game he called ? While at the same time, he almost NEVER called out the poor play of the rest of the team with frequency…………Don’t be like the "eurosnob" football armchair no-wit-alls, whom all they know is "spend-spend-spend". That league is becoming a real boring joke, where no one but the top 4-5 even have a 1/billion chance of winning the league, so they can’t be all that smart, can they, to allow that to happen!

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

Finally, ALL of you so called "experts" who keep bringing up Sunderland,,,,,,………..DON’T ! IT just exposes how little you actually know about this game, and how much you COVET the Premier League (secretly), and just how much more you view that league as 50yrs. ahead of MLS! All of the comments say the same thing about Jozy…….."well, if you take out AZ, he did poorly everywhere else". But you can’t "take out" AZ ! You all think that WINNING A LEAGUE CUP in ANY LEAGUE, isn’t worth a hoot, because of his time at Sunderland and Hull, where he was berated, shafted, insulted by bigots and racists at Sunderland and Hull…..the coach Di Canio who brought him in, didn’t even get to coach him at that "dumpster fire" of a club, which BTW, wouldn’t make the playoffs in MLS, imo .

But go on drinking that Sky Sports Eurosnob kool-aid. I would ask for anyone who even watched his games at Sunderland, didn’t you think it strange how the older Scottish commentator on NBCET would nearly, every other time, say, "It has to be better from Altidore" in every game he called ? While at the same time, he almost NEVER called out the poor play of the rest of the team with frequency…………Don’t be like the "eurosnob" football armchair no-wit-alls, whom all they know is "spend-spend-spend". That league is becoming a real boring joke, where no one but the top 4-5 even have a 1/billion chance of winning the league, so they can’t be all that smart, can they, to allow that to happen!

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
He starts out quite insane but his conclusion is spot on. I don't know what to believe.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

drat son where'd you find this

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

Good I miss the Jozy thread.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

Sky Sports Eurosnob

What's the max username length again ?

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Destroy My Sweater posted:

drat son where'd you find this

http://www.wakingthered.com/2015/8/18/9169879/calling-out-jozy-altidore-might-be-ill-advised-greg-vanney-statements-toronto-fc

Big Joze is not impressing and the natives are getting restless

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ggt4j9zYwI8

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Giovinco is playing in MLS? lol

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

As for Gilberto, he always looked like he was working hard on the pitch. But he scored 7 goals last year in 1955 minutes (0.32 per 90). Altidore has 7 in 1222 (0.52 per 90, which is 1.6x higher). Considering Jozy’s salary is roughly 4x, how many goals would he need to have by now for you to regard him as equivalent value for money?

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

Parity warning posted:

As for Gilberto, he always looked like he was working hard on the pitch. But he scored 7 goals last year in 1955 minutes (0.32 per 90). Altidore has 7 in 1222 (0.52 per 90, which is 1.6x higher). Considering Jozy’s salary is roughly 4x, how many goals would he need to have by now for you to regard him as equivalent value for money?

We can easily slant those numbers in favor of Gilberto. You could remove Altidore’s 2 PK goals (Gilberto didn’t take any PKs), and you could also add in Gilberto’s 5 assists (Altidore has 0). So with those numbers Gilberto was in on 12 goals to Altidore’s 5. Let’s call it Points per 90. Altidore’s would be 0.37 and Gilberto’s would be 0.55. Heck, Moore’s from last season would be 0.46, and shockingly this season is 0.77 (who knew he had 3 assists!).

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

quote:

And while we're at it

If the sport of athletics is still unaware of what is lost when public trust evaporates, it only needs to look at the case of Jefferson Montero.

Yes, the winger for Swansea City. And, no, he has nothing to do with athletics. But stay with this. Montero arrived at Swansea on July 24, 2014 in a £5million transfer from Monarcas Morelia of Mexico. His first season was not the best. He was involved in 33 games, but made only 15 Premier League starts and scored one goal, against Stoke in May. Nobody expected greatness from Montero coming into this campaign. And then he returned like Roberto Rivelino.

Montero destroyed Branislav Ivanovic in the first game of the season, giving the Serb possibly the first chasing of his career. On Saturday, he panicked Daryl Janmaat of Newcastle so greatly that the full back was sent off before half-time, having committed two yellow-card offences 70 yards from his goal. Massadio Haidara came on and got the same treatment. Montero then made Swansea’s second.

So what relevance has this to athletics? Well, if Montero was a runner and showed such an unexpected and dramatic improvement, nobody would think it was straight. As he is a footballer, it is accepted that a laid-back Ecuadorean winger who speaks little English may take a season to adapt to the Premier League and will only show his true ability a year down the line.

Football has its faults, but we trust what we see. That is what athletics has lost and it is a long road back from here.

Martin Samuel tries and fails to not accuse Montero of doping.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3202733/Bring-Alan-Pardew-help-Gareth-Southgate-run-England-21s.html

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
And? More journalists ahould be like that. The sport is a loving farce when it comes to doping

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

African AIDS cum posted:

And? More journalists ahould be like that. The sport is a loving farce when it comes to doping

Montero hasn't done anything this season that he didn't do last. It's insulting to imply Montero wasn't doping before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronniegardocki
Apr 14, 2012

by Lowtax

First, we need to define where the midfield is. This is how I defined it, between 38 and 79 yards away from the goal in my advanced soccer graphics representation program. This was just my decision based on what looked right and there are probably other ways of defining it that might be more correct.

Next we want to determine what stats to use to determine whether a team is dominating the midfield. Number of completions for and against shows possession but we need more, completion percentage is nice but rewards simple, short passes back and forth just inside the area equally with incisive balls through the middle. In the end, I came up with 4 factors to measure a team’s midfield control.

The first three are simple. One: completions per game. Two: the share of passes that are going backwards, mainly for context. Three: how far the average pass travels.

The fourth is a little more complicated. It is basically adjusted completion % on forward passes. To measure which teams were actually best as moving the ball through the midfield, I created a rough model for how an average team passes. It takes into account how far from goal the origin of the pass is and how much closer to goal the ball goes. I did this separately for La Liga, the Bundesliga, and the EPL. For example, in the EPL a pass that originates 63 yards from goal and is targeted at a player 4 yards closer to goal (59 yards from goal)*, is expected to be completed 86% of the time. If a passer is 40 yards from goal and tries to play a ball 26 yards closer to goal (in the box 14 yards from goal) it is expected to be completed 20% of the time. Obviously there are big changes depending on pressure and number of options available: a striker playing a ball forward will have a lower % than a midfielder or a defender simply due to how the team is laid out. This is ok, especially at the team level, as we are simply using this to measure which teams are actually passing well and which teams might be inflating their completion percentage through short passes far from goal. We add up each passes expected completion percentage then compare how many passes were actually completed to see if a team is above or below what you would expect.