Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Nintendo Kid posted:

70 foot max is bullshit. no height limits. that's for clowns.

height limits should be minimums

like 250ft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
if someone wants to prevent tall buildings being in their area, let them buy up all the property themselves

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

fishmech for president

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

fishmech for president

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

fishmech for president

lol, it's the year 2015 any high rises in san francisco would be entirely luxury housing, except the minimum regulatory requirement for affordable units, aimed at oligarchs from around the world and intended to be mostly empty at all times

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

UberJew posted:

lol, it's the year 2015 any high rises in san francisco would be entirely luxury housing, except the minimum regulatory requirement for affordable units, aimed at oligarchs from around the world and intended to be mostly empty at all times

and that'd still be more normal people housing available than there is gonna be otherwise

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

UberJew posted:

so all the rich people move into the new luxury housing, freeing up all the units they're currently occupying.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Pinterest Mom posted:

so all the rich people move into the new luxury housing, freeing up all the units they're currently occupying.

just like vancouver!

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Smythe posted:

like this: keys keys keys, keys on van nuys

trigger warning you rear end in a top hat

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
k0ice

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Pinterest Mom posted:

concentrating them for convenient mass executions via defenestration

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
the SF 15% for affordable housing thing has a little tiny bit of a loophole that maybe you guys can find a flaw with, take a look and see if you can find it.

developers who don't want to build the 15% for affordable housing can pay the city a flat fee per unit and that goes in to the cities general fund.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Beast of Bourbon posted:

the SF 15% for affordable housing thing has a little tiny bit of a loophole that maybe you guys can find a flaw with, take a look and see if you can find it.

developers who don't want to build the 15% for affordable housing can pay the city a flat fee per unit and that goes in to the cities general fund.

i'd rather see them bump up the construction date for rent control

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Beast of Bourbon posted:

Good job, sf

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

paging fishmech

some guy in D&D is arguing that we can't complain about working conditions at Amazon because people in China have it worse and Amazon people make gently caress you money so they don't get to complain or unionize

JumpinJackFlash
Nov 15, 2001
man gently caress D&D

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

also that who cares about software company working conditions anyway because everyone who works at Amazon is a sperglord fresh out of college with no life anyway

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Luigi Thirty posted:

paging fishmech

some guy in D&D is arguing that we can't complain about working conditions at Amazon because people in China have it worse and Amazon people make gently caress you money so they don't get to complain or unionize

Ah yes all those warehouse workers making gently caress you money

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

no. we can only care about them, not people in corporate for they have autism and money

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

those people don't work for amazon

(neither do the sweatshop workers but hey)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

trigger warning you rear end in a top hat

ima come clean i dont ahve tv and dont listen to comercial radio so i aint heard the keyes on van nuys ad for a long time but i did just now on yt and it was epic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iqvEBmIyRg&hd=1

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

computer parts posted:

more importantly it also prevents anything but a single family house from being built

i recently bought into a part of unincorporated san mateo county which now requires a 1 acre minimum lot size per new home.

multi-family? lol get out

Shifty Pony posted:

i wonder what percentage of the 1950s shitboxes in CA have un-permitted work done on them. around here it is drat near 100%.

yeah a lot of people dont bother getting permits for anything, especially in sf. its led to a lot of really unsafe poo poo.

santa cruz county started a leniency program recently (which contrasts nicely with their zero-new-construction policy) but the other counties are all fuuuck yoouuuu

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

here's one near me that just had an open house w/ a listing for $1.4mil

in an earthquake that crawlspace will fail in seconds but im sure the flipper standard granite countertops will soften the blow

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yeah these seismic code requirements are clearly just suggestions and not checked or enforced in any way for new construction

the inspector for aforementioned san mateo county property mentioned that the straps for the hot water tanks had been done improperly, but that only maybe 5% of places had them done correctly despite it being a legal requirement

400 pounds of hot water and natural gas/propane flying around is great in an earthquake im sure

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

also i finally told off an uber recruiter who wouldnt stop sending unsolicited emails today

quote:

Hi Recruiter,

I'm not interested in contributing to Uber for the forseeable future as I have a fundamental disagreement with the company's principles. If Uber's stance in regards to treating its employees as discardable human garbage ever changes, then feel free to contact me. I hope you understand.

Best,

Progressive JPEG

and the crowd stood up and clapped

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Aug 20, 2015

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
that recruiter.... was Albert Einstein

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
who, upon seeing your email, immediately quit, and then showed off his sweet new zelda tattoo

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Progressive JPEG posted:

also i finally told off an uber recruiter who wouldnt stop sending unsolicited emails today

and the crowd stood up and clapped

i just got a new uber devotee recently, after they interviewed and rejected me twice in the last few months. i wish i had to moral high ground to properly tell him off.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

https://medium.com/airbnb-superhosting/airbnb-why-did-you-terminate-my-account-an-open-letter-to-airbnb-9631213f8a1b

The meeting was basically them telling me they are just as shocked as I am and that they have no clue of what’s going on. We talked about the situation, the whole time my mind is swirling. They offered to buy me dinner, I got an ice tea, I couldn’t eat. After about 30 minutes, I decided to leave. They said they would continue to try and get to the bottom of this. We hugged, said our goodbyes and parted ways, me feeling like I have lost a good friend in addition to my AirBNB hosting job. I just felt sick and no further along than before.

lmao

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

triple sulk posted:

https://medium.com/airbnb-superhosting/airbnb-why-did-you-terminate-my-account-an-open-letter-to-airbnb-9631213f8a1b

The meeting was basically them telling me they are just as shocked as I am and that they have no clue of what’s going on. We talked about the situation, the whole time my mind is swirling. They offered to buy me dinner, I got an ice tea, I couldn’t eat. After about 30 minutes, I decided to leave. They said they would continue to try and get to the bottom of this. We hugged, said our goodbyes and parted ways, me feeling like I have lost a good friend in addition to my AirBNB hosting job. I just felt sick and no further along than before.

lmao

But without AirBNB whose going to pay him for running an illegal hotel for sex tourists?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
independent contracting is a much better deal if you ignore the lack of benefits, time off, and and income taxes that we shift to the employee rather than the employer

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Dave Ashton

Founder, SnapCar
Follow
The Case Against Full-Time Employees
Aug 19, 2015

24,457 views272 Likes86 Comments

Share on LinkedInShare on FacebookShare on Twitter

"It is not enough that I should succeed. Everyone else must fail."
~ Genghis Khan
~ François de La Rochefoucauld
~ Gore Vidal
~ Larry Ellison

"Gig economy" jobs - the latest term for the employment of independent contractors - are invoking a lot of discussion these days. Companies like Lyft, TaskRabbit, Upwork and many others are frequently criticized for providing services delivered by independent (or even unlicensed) contractors. Some journalists are raising terrifying claims about how the sky is falling because "full-time employment is dying and soon we'll all be obsolete". It's as if by 2020 we'll be out on the street, penniless and begging a parasol-carrying bourgeois couple to let us run them across town in a rickshaw so we can earn a few tuppence for tonight's pudding. A lot of people are buying into the fearmongering. They shouldn't.

The debate seems - at least in part - to be impacting employment models of companies that probably should be using a lot of independent contractors: Shyp recently made the risky - and costly - decision to hire its delivery workers as full time employees; it feels like AirBnB - whose owner-hosts certainly don't pay employment taxes - is being sued in every city it operates; Sprig and Blue Apron must face the dilemma of do we hire full time people or do we pay contractors piecemeal?; Gravity Payments finds itself in an odd situation after guaranteeing great minimum salaries for all its full-time employees, a choice that appears to be costing it more than just money; and Zirtual shut down at least in part because it hired full-time employees...and hopes to relaunch using independent contractors.

Hotels hate AirBnB. Taxis hate SnapCar. Trains hate BlaBlaCar. Restaurants hate Sprig. Cleaning services hate TaskRabbit. This hate and debate - about an employment model that disrupts or destroys entrenched businesses - is increasingly focused on the use of independent contractors.

I'm caught in the middle. As a consumer but also founder of a company that has created or contributed to the development of several thousand independent contractor jobs in Paris over the last couple of years, I want to explain here why "gig economy jobs" will continue to comprise an outsized percentage of global jobs growth in the coming years.

Many jobs - particularly highly-skilled or managerial ones - will always be better served by full-time employees than by independent contractors. And there's no question full-time jobs will remain the preferred employment method for a majority of employers and workers alike. Every company needs dedicated resources that focus all their work energy on a single set of responsibilities. You can't run and grow a company if you don't have dedicated workers, and by definition independent contractors are free to work for anyone they wish.

But at the most basic level gig economy jobs are exploding because there weren't enough of them in the first place. In the past, the complexity/impossibility of resource pooling made it too hard for most companies to use independent contractors on any large scale, even though many could really have benefited from doing so. So consumers paid more than we should have for products and services provided by people who were full-time employees, but who didn't really need to be to serve us appropriately. The traditional model has cost you money your whole life.

We know now that you don't need to pay for a full time driver to get a quality ride on demand; or stay in a dedicated hotel to find a great place to sleep; or hire a full-time maid to have your house/apartment cleaned; or have a full-time chef to get a quality meal prepared and delivered straight to you. These kinds of services, which in many cases were previously price-inaccessible to all but the wealthy, are now consumed by a much larger set of people around the world because the resources that supply those services can be federated across a broader demand market.

It's mostly thanks to technology. Geolocalization has enabled what is truly a revolution: the virtually costless pooling of supply-side resources. It's the pooling that foments greater supply and incites demand from a broad audience, enabling independent contractors to earn a living in ways they previously could not. That, along with the demand you provide for their services, is what is attracting them to gig economy jobs.

But gig job growth isn't just often great for the worker, it's also great for employers (though not so good for governments. Perhaps more on that some other time).

Which means that sometimes hiring full-time workers is a terrible idea.

In most countries there is a significant cost difference for an employer to use full-time employees versus independent workers. The figures may shock you. Here's a real, typical example from France:

Yes...It frequently costs significantly more to hire a full-time employee than it costs to hire an independent contractor to do exactly the same job. In the United States the cost difference may not be as stark as in Europe but it is still significant.

And yet in many cases an independent contractor takes home more money at the end of the month than if he was employed full-time. Because payroll and income taxes are generally lower for independent contractors than for full-time employees (laws vary from country to country) and because if a contractor works more he usually makes more. And he's free to work more (or less).

But beyond salaries and taxes there are other significant advantages to employing - and being - an independent contractor: the worker works when and for whom he wishes. And he can work for more than one company at a time. So if he makes 1800€ a month from SnapCar he might also make that amount from a competitor, like Uber. This motivates SnapCar - or Uber - to pay the driver as well as possible in an effort to win his loyalty.

There is more. The independent worker can have additional, separate jobs on the side. He takes vacations/holidays when he wants. And perhaps the most important element: the barriers to entry for contractor jobs are often not particularly high. So less experienced people and/or those lacking a strong financial footing can often still find work right away. This is a hugely valuable opportunity for many. It's not for everyone but it helps many.

There are drawbacks: Job security is lower than in a full-time job - at least theoretically - and human beings tend to value job security. An independent contractor also has no guaranteed daily/monthly income. It's possible he could work a ten hour day and make nothing, although this essentially never happens. He's not paid for taking vacations. If his performance is poor or demand dries up he can find himself unable to earn a living. He must buy his own health insurance or perhaps supplemental health insurance (in France all basic health care is paid by the government, funded by payroll taxes. Hence payroll taxes in France are 3-4x higher than in the United States).

He also doesn't get to hang out with his colleagues by the water cooler and be paid for sitting around on his computer watching World of Warcraft videos. He doesn't get to go to any obligatory work meetings. He doesn't attend company training sessions.

Wait, are those drawbacks...?

Because the worker isn't earning when he's not working, he tends to be motivated to work. Hard. So independent contractors can often be more driven than salaried employees: their primary motivation is to do a job sufficiently well today so they'll make even more tomorrow. And via customer-based rating systems the service providers - SnapCar, TaskRabbit, AirBnB, etc - automatically know who the best independent contractors are, and are motivated to keep them.

In France, where it can cost a year's salary to remove an unmotivated salaried employee, a motivated independent worker is a beautiful thing. Imagine you have a full-time employee who starts refusing to come to work because he knows if he's fired the law requires he be paid six months of salary (or more). With an independent worker this issue doesn't exist. If he's highly-rated by customers he stays and can make a good living. If he's poorly-rated he'll probably have a harder time finding work.

This freedom to work or not, to employ or not, to consume or not, creates a liquidity in the labor market that is healthy and generally good for employers, employees and consumers alike.

Thanks to the costless supply-side resource pooling revolution, independent workers now cost less without necessarily making less, so the services they provide can be consumed less expensively. We all end up taking more SnapCar rides, getting more dry cleaning deliveries from TaskRabbit, more personal assistant services from Zirtual (until it died because they hired full-time employees), and you take more BlaBlaCar.

You wouldn't consume those services if you didn't want to: you're free to choose. If you believe the fearmongering then it's probably best for you to use hotels and not Airbnb, full-time limousine companies instead of SnapCar (or taxis), and hire a permanent engineer with five weeks' vacation to build that app you've been telling your friends about.

But that's not what consumers are doing, which probably means that consumption of services from independent contractors makes their lives better. And since the independent contractors are equally free to offer their services or not - and here they are, offering them on an unprecedented scale - it probably makes for a better life for many of them, too. As soon as it stops working for you, you'll stop buying. As soon as it doesn't work for your driver, he'll stop supplying. So be nice to him. He'll be nice to you, and you'll get where you need to go.

Because we all just want to get somewhere. Are you getting there?

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

ayn rand hand job posted:

Dave Ashton

Founder, SnapCar
Follow
The Case Against Full-Time Employees
Aug 19, 2015

24,457 views272 Likes86 Comments

Share on LinkedInShare on FacebookShare on Twitter

"It is not enough that I should succeed. Everyone else must fail."
~ Genghis Khan
~ François de La Rochefoucauld
~ Gore Vidal
~ Larry Ellison

In most countries there is a significant cost difference for an employer to use full-time employees versus independent workers. The figures may shock you. Here's a real, typical example from France:

Yes...It frequently costs significantly more to hire a full-time employee than it costs to hire an independent contractor to do exactly the same job. In the United States the cost difference may not be as stark as in Europe but it is still significant.

I've cut it down to the only thing any of these companies care about. I believe the creed is usually written: "More money for us, gently caress you."

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

A Columbia Pike resident was charged more than fifteen hundred dollras for what she says was a short Uber ride to a friend’s place in Shirlington.

Jenny Partington says she was trying to call an Uber ride Friday night, but the app told her she couldn’t because she was “still on a trip.” The last time she had taken an Uber was the previous Saturday, Aug. 8, when she visited her friend. Partington canceled the trip, then was shocked when a four-figure bill arrived via email.

Partington was charged $1,537.13 for the ride — which was debited from her checking account because she pays for rides via Paypal.

“I figured this was obviously some kind of system error, either with the driver or with the software and that it would get reversed by Uber immediately,” she told ARLnow.com this morning. “I’ve tried to reach out to Uber via email about eight times and have heard nothing. And when I try and log in to Uber it now says my account has been disabled.”

“Clearly I’m super frustrated, especially as I’m closing on a house on Thursday and need that money for my down payment!” Partington continued.

ARLnow.com reached out to Uber to ask about the charge. Within an hour, Partington said she received the refund she had been seeking.

“I understand mistakes happen but the total lack of response after four days is unacceptable,” she said after being notified of the refund. An Uber spokesman declined to comment on the incident, citing the company’s privacy policy.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Uber drivers in San Francisco and Los Angeles have included a convicted murderer, sex offenders and other criminals, according to an amended complaint filed Tuesday by the District Attorney’s Office against the ride-hail company.

District Attorney George Gascon announced the charges Wednesday, eight months after an initial complaint from Los Angeles’ and The City’s district attorneys said that Uber has been misleading the public with false information about its background checks of drivers.

“We learned of systemic failures in Uber’s background checks,” Gascon said, noting that Uber has at times boasted its checks as industry leading. “They have drivers who are convicted sex offenders, identity thieves, burglars, kidnappers and a convicted murderer.”

In total, the complaint includes a list of 22 drivers convicted of various misdemeanors and felonies.

In one instance, a driver convicted of sexually abusing a minor under the age of 14 is said to have given 5,697 rides to Uber passengers, including unaccompanied children. Uber’s background check in February 2014 failed to uncover the driver’s status as a registered sex offender, and that person drove for the company until May of this year, according to the complaint.

In another, a driver convicted of second-degree murder circumvented a background check revealing the conviction by using an alias, according to the complaint. The driver had spent 26 years in prison, was released in 2008 and drove for Uber from November 2014 until May 2015.

“This is only really scratching the surface,” Gascon said, adding that Uber users cannot make informed decisions without complete and truthful information from the company.

The alleged shortcoming in Uber’s background checks stem from the company not scanning the fingerprints of drivers, according to the complaint. Uber’s method does not check aliases and only identifies a person’s convictions from the last seven years.

“If someone was convicted of kidnapping eight years ago and they were just paroled last week,” Gascon said, “the Uber background check process will not identify the person as a convicted kidnapper.”

The complaint also alleges that Uber would fail to identify some 30,000 registered sex offenders through its current background checks, which only access a publicly available registry.

Assistant District Attorney Nancy Tung, who is investigating the First Amendment complaint, said a fingerprint, biometric-based background check would be a more expansive method than Uber’s.

“A fingerprint is a unique identifier that allows you to link criminal history even if the person has used a different alias, a different social security number, a different spelling of their name or a different date of birth,” she said. “So a fingerprint, really what it does is link everything together.”

She said that Live Scan, the California Department of Justice’s system for searching criminal histories, is the gold standard for law enforcement.

But in a statement from Uber on Wednesday, a company spokesperson said it disagrees “that the Live Scan process used by taxi companies is an inherently better system for screening drivers than our background checks.”

“The reality is that neither is 100 percent foolproof,” the statement reads. “We discovered [that] last year when putting hundreds of people through our checks who identified themselves as taxi drivers. That process uncovered convictions for DUI, rape, attempted murder, child abuse and violence.”

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

There have been many questions surrounding UberX and insurance, and one driver is learning the hard way that you have to be careful when using the service.

Tawfiqul Alam was driving a passenger in early June when he got into an accident on Queen St. A police report says that another vehicle drove through a red light on Woodbine Ave, crashing into Alam's vehicle. Both he and the passenger were taken to hospital. Alam's car is a write-off.

That's when his insurance trouble started.

Alam's personal insurance company has since denied the claim, saying that he failed to disclose that he was using his vehicle for UberX and that his policy is now void.

Personal injury lawyer Isaac Zisckind, who is representing Alam, says they notified Uber about the accident, but more than two months later the company has still not stepped in to cover anything. The company wrote that it will be in touch after Zisckind informed them that he is prepared to pursue a claim on his client's behalf.

"While I can't share specifics on a particular incident, I can tell you that all uberX rides are insured with liability coverage," Uber spokesperson Susie Heath tells NEWSTALK 1010. "Our insurer reviews these claims and we are committed to helping drivers understand the resolution process."

Uber says it has commercial insurance for its drivers, but there are concerns over potential gaps.

"Every ride on the uberX platform in Canada is backed by $5,000,000 of contingent auto liability insurance covering bodily injury and property damage."

The company insists that you can "rest assured knowing that ridesharing partners are well covered by commercial auto insurance in addition to any insurance coverage maintained by the driver."

But Uber does not release any details about when the policy kicks in, having said that their policy is proprietary.

It also sounds like the company's insurance would not kick in automatically when an accident occurs, but is there as a backup measure.

"Should the driver partner's insurance provider deny a claim, Uber's will provide coverage through our policy," Heath has said in the past.

Now that Alam's personal insurance company has denied the claim, Zisckind is urging Uber to step in, or face a lawsuit.

"They're just saying we'll get back to you," he says.

Zisckind adds that Alam is in financial distress as he has lost his vehicle, his only source of income as an UberX driver.

"I'm in a miserable situation now," Alam says.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

tl;dr for the last 3 posts - remember when uber said it fixed a ton of issues that happened a year or two ago? yeah, they didn't

apparently the uber partner contract in canada says the uber insurance doesn't kick in unless you have professional livery insurance (lol). not for you, any damage you cause, your passengers, or your car

rapists/murderers/kidnappers are still getting into the system with ease and driving for years

uber's system still has a chance to overbill you and it's hard to fix without getting the press to talk to uber for you

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

It's only going to get worse once investors get tired and want to start seeing an operating profit

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Smythe posted:

ima come clean i dont ahve tv and dont listen to comercial radio so i aint heard the keyes on van nuys ad for a long time but i did just now on yt and it was epic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iqvEBmIyRg&hd=1

When I hear about Van Nuys I always think about this movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3MOXwdkJp8

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

You mean like parkmerced, the worst place to live in san francisco?
false gently caress cars forever

don't really like to pull the "been here longer than you" card but I remember both the central freeway and the embaracadero freeway and they were the worst and that area that's now a nice park with burning man sculptures and artisan bread pudding in hayes valley was a disgusting hellscape

limit 40 feet max to say 5% of the city total and let the nimbys fight each other over it, raise the rest to 70 feet, subway tunnel down geary to the beach

make it 100 feet with the ability to get it waived entirely and then raise taxes on any buildings under 6 stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

like to pay taxes. With them, I buy civilization.
Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.

that's why we pay taxes, that's why companies hire employees, that's why only paying people for the literal second that they're probably working is awful

instead of making a system that's ruthlessly efficient, churns people out and leaves them desperate on the street, we pay a little more than is absolutely necessary and get civilization and society and not just the cheapest product possible

some folks would rather see everything fall apart so they can save 15% on their taxi ride

• Locked thread