Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
How many Yaz albums does Ernest Cline have in that thing?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arm_Fruit
Jul 1, 2013
I enjoyed the book for the story. :colbert: It was a classic hero arc! The second life/world of warcraft element was interesting and engaging. Yes it was heavy-handed and could have been written by anyone with access to Wikipedia. But I liked it.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

The world was interesting, but the main character was an obnoxious nerd, the romantic arc was a messy cringe, and the references were shallow and irrelevant to the plot.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Cloks posted:

How many Yaz albums does Ernest Cline have in that thing?!

That isn't heavy enough for him. He's into super heavy stuff like Rush and Scorpions.

Naylenas posted:

The world was interesting, but the main character was an obnoxious nerd, the romantic arc was a messy cringe, and the references were shallow and irrelevant to the plot.

I'm sure the film version will strip out 99% of the book, and just keep the "Clues to a treasure is hidden in a video game" aspect.

http://idontevenownatelevision.com/ready-player-one-w-mike-sacco
http://idontevenownatelevision.com/armada

The absolute worst is his treatment of women. I swear, he's never had an actual conversation with a woman for more than 10 minutes.

So, do you think All that and Gargantua 2 will be released on its own, or will we have to wait for season 6 dvd release?

Delaio
Jul 14, 2012

Venture brothers merch is on sale at entertainment earth

I've never been one for any kind of plastic figurine, but now I own the whole venture family plus a couple. I really wish the alchemist was just a Spock doll with a bald spot though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Your link got messed up

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/hitlist.asp?theme=Venture+Bros%2E

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Ha ha, yeah I'll pay $3 each for those (barely acceptable) 4" figures on clearance. And the stupidly priced convention exclusives.

When I saw them at retail years ago, they were $15 each.

Thanks for the link.

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005
If anyone's jonesing for some Dr Venture rants I recommend checking out 'Difficult People' on Hulu.

Unfortunately James Urbaniak isn't in it much but he's still been able to yell a few times. If you close your eyes it's like a teaser for season 6!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Knucklebear posted:

If anyone's jonesing for some Dr Venture rants I recommend checking out 'Difficult People' on Hulu.

Unfortunately James Urbaniak isn't in it much but he's still been able to yell a few times. If you close your eyes it's like a teaser for season 6!

Once I realized who he was, I enjoyed his scenes much more. All I can hear is Rusty.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Man, I hate how mediocre most Venture merch is. I love that they go out of their way to make it retro, but I don't want an action figure of some main character because I'm not 14. Give me a retro-style diecast X-1 or Brock's car or the Flying Cocoon, or a tin robot HELPeR, or a repro of Billy's Rusty Venture lunchbox and thermos, or a pullstring IGNORE ME doll, or a Venture Industries Panam-style bag.

I'll bleed money for any of those.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 19, 2015

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I don't like most of the Venture merch either, but hey, $5 + shipping for a Brock figure to put on my desk? Sure, I'll do that.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
My problem is they don't make any Venture figures that I'd like to own or fit in with my other collections. The Mego stuff while kitchy not many people in the demographic for buying Venture merch are into it. The 3 inch stuff has bad sculpts, isn't retro enough looking to fit into the Star Wars retro look.

They should give Diamond or DCD a crack at the license and make some nice 6-7 inch figures. I'd like something that looks like it jumped off panel, like the Brock statue.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

They should just give Funko the license so they can make ReAction figures of the entire cast.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
The Funko ReAction stuff isn't flying off the shelves either.

I feel bad for that company since the Pop Vinyls are the only thing keeping them afloat and when that fad crashes they are going to be hit hard. They are making lots of cool stuff with cool licenses but the products always seem to be lack luster. Like their Rocketeer which is so disappointing I can't buy it even with me wanting a Rocketeer figure since 1991.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Silhouette posted:

They should just give Funko the license so they can make ReAction figures of the entire cast.

Cast? Oh man. I'd love a James Urbaniak dressed as Dr. Venture figure, like in the Season 1 DVD special feature.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Yes, all five members of the cast.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.

tarlibone posted:

To be fair, the only reason I know this is the fact that I'm an insane lunatic about geography and maps, so as soon as I saw this years ago, I looked up the fakest label on that map--Imhambane--to see if it was in Africa or if it existed at all. And of course, I have a map that shows the provinces of Mozambique, because what man my age (30s-40s) living in Illinois doesn't need one of those on a daily basis, and there it was.

In fact, I spent quite a bit of time proving that the map image in O.R.B. was fake by enhancing it as much as I could and looking for town names and roads. Nope. Totally made up.

The Maplook map in ORB is a map of Idaho, Montana, Utah, Nevada, Colorado and Wyoming with the names changed slightly and the interstates re-numbered. You can recognize the grey lines as state boundaries and major cities are correctly placed with names changed. I'm working off a low quality freeze so some letters are blurry but the jist of it is:

Poisek (Boise), Grin Falls (Twin Falls) and Ahabo Falls (Idaho Falls) are correctly placed for Hoaho to be Idaho. Adeva is Nevada. Gutoh Is Utah with Orlen (Ogden) and Cake City (Salt Lake City). El Dorado is Colorado, they didn't even bother renaming Junction. Hycyonga is Wyoming (I can't make out what they've named Jasper) and Hantania is Montana.

It is however far too zoomed out for White to being seeing driving directions down to a mile. Nothing is really marked as the actual location, there are several numbered spots in Colorado and Montana.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Djarum posted:

The Funko ReAction stuff isn't flying off the shelves either.

I feel bad for that company since the Pop Vinyls are the only thing keeping them afloat and when that fad crashes they are going to be hit hard. They are making lots of cool stuff with cool licenses but the products always seem to be lack luster. Like their Rocketeer which is so disappointing I can't buy it even with me wanting a Rocketeer figure since 1991.

If the ReAction figures weren't $10, and were at least halfway decently made, I'd have a giant pile of them.

But as it is, they're super easy to walk past in the store.

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

In panel. Feb 7 season 6 starts

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The years between seasons is a bit of a bummer. Too many shows are doing it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Delzuma posted:

Which panel is this?

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Met posted:

Venture bros. was doing it before it was cool

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Met posted:

Yeah, but at least Venture Brothers is keeping a steady "one episode a week" schedule when it airs new seasons. Shows that have breaks between bits of the season and one episode every three weeks are the actual worst!

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

Pope Guilty posted:

Which panel is this?

Let's All Smoking!! The Venture Panel at DragonCon

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Delzuma posted:

Best birthday gift I could ask for.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

X_Toad posted:

Yeah, but at least Venture Brothers is keeping a steady "one episode a week" schedule when it airs new seasons. Shows that have breaks between bits of the season and one episode every three weeks are the actual worst!

Venture Bros did the break thing before though

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I think it was Season 4 right? They did one half and the other half the later year. But still that was once. Not like they do more often compared to other shows.

Gravity Falls I'm looking at you.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Delzuma posted:

Let's All Smoking!! The Venture Panel at DragonCon

No!! What he has done to his beautiful hair?? :(

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

Venture Bros did the break thing before though
I thought that was considered to be almost false marketing by the fans, though? Like, they called it the second part of season 4 but really they should have called it season 5?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

X_Toad posted:

I thought that was considered to be almost false marketing by the fans, though? Like, they called it the second part of season 4 but really they should have called it season 5?

Usually the split season thing is done for contract reasons. Like when the Sopranos did it, HBO wanted more of their hit show, but they'd had a super bitch of a time negotiating more seasons with the actors, so everyone agreed to one long "season" broken into two parts.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

fspades posted:

No!! What he has done to his beautiful hair?? :(

Metamorphosed into Warhol

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Last year's DragonCon panel Doc said that with 2 guys writing and editing the show it takes time, but it is well worth it. They don't want the show to become stale due to being rushed. That being said, they hope to push out season 7 faster than usual after this season. The previews were awesome and really looking forward to it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I was at an ice cream place yesterday wearing my OSI shirt and when I asked what flavors they still had, he said vanilla, chocolate, and Apple Mummy.

Haha! Apple Mummy!

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

Last year's DragonCon panel Doc said that with 2 guys writing and editing the show it takes time, but it is well worth it. They don't want the show to become stale due to being rushed. That being said, they hope to push out season 7 faster than usual after this season. The previews were awesome and really looking forward to it.
Previews of what? Season 7? Season 6? If the later, is there any way to see those previews?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Last year's DragonCon panel Doc said that with 2 guys writing and editing the show it takes time, but it is well worth it.

This is pretty much all they ever say, but that's okay because they're right.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

That being said, they hope to push out season 7 faster than usual after this season.

So we can expect it by 2020 then.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Entropic posted:

So we can expect it by 2020 then.

The show is amazing, so I'm willing to tolerate 13 years for 6 seasons.

I mean, I'm actually kind of stunned that Cartoon Network has held on to it for so long.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Red posted:

The show is amazing, so I'm willing to tolerate 13 years for 6 seasons.

I mean, I'm actually kind of stunned that Cartoon Network has held on to it for so long.

Let's be honest; nobody watches this show. It's pretty much the best animated show ever for people who get its humor, but good luck convincing other people to try it.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

fspades posted:

Let's be honest; nobody watches this show. It's pretty much the best animated show ever for people who get its humor, but good luck convincing other people to try it.

It has to make Cartoon Network money in order to stay on the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Pretty sure people do. Doesn't Adult swim occasionally show the view ratings on shows?

They wouldn't keep VB on air if it didn't.