Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

Here's a solution to the shower problem:

Make the shower part of the yard, use yard time liberally such as first thing in the morning and before/after meals, etc. My yards also have all the required amenities to make prisoners happy and this way a lot of them can fulfill their needs quickly.

It's kind of cheesing it but hey it works very well.

Or an hour or two of freetime after everyone wakes up.

My prisons do pretty well with a good amount of freetime throughout the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
So have they made dogs more lethal in the past few patches? I've lost 40 angry prisoners in the past two days to dogs that don't stop attacking when the prisoner goes unconscious, even when the handler is fine.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Met posted:

Or an hour or two of freetime after everyone wakes up.

My prisons do pretty well with a good amount of freetime throughout the day.

The key difference between freetime and scheduled activities is prisoner control. Freetime lets them just handle their needs on their own time which means that you'll be less likely to see a bunch of prisoners with critically low needs being shoved into the same room at the same time. On the other hand, because they can wander all over the prison during free time, it means you'll need to make entirely separate facilities for your PC prisoners and (possibly) supermax as well. With scheduled activities like yard or shower time, you can have your PC prisoners make use of the canteens because all the other prisoners will be forced to go to a particular room. Having a more structured regime also lets you be a little more efficient with your deployment - you can have a couple of dogs that get assigned to the yard or such during yard time and easily sniff out anyone there, rather than needing a bunch of dogs all over the prison all the time.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anyone think the Death Row Appeal system is a bit too lax? I've had about 10 Death Row inmates come through and all but one turned into Max Sec. (Speaking of which, make sure you get the mod that removes the Gang member tag from death row inmates so they can go to Parole.)

That's a lot of convictions being overturned. Who the gently caress is the judge in this city? A robot that throws darts? Roger Goodell?

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

PantsFreeZone posted:

Anyone think the Death Row Appeal system is a bit too lax? I've had about 10 Death Row inmates come through and all but one turned into Max Sec. (Speaking of which, make sure you get the mod that removes the Gang member tag from death row inmates so they can go to Parole.)

That's a lot of convictions being overturned. Who the gently caress is the judge in this city? A robot that throws darts? Roger Goodell?

I think the Brits who made the game are a little uncomfortable with the whole execution idea. The clemency rate is ridiculous. If they were being realistic though it would be like 0.2% or something. If they were being realistic though, prisoners would have to spend 15-25 years on death row before execution so a little creative license might not be such a bad thing. They probably don't want you turning your prison into a state sanctioned murder mill which is also why the rate of death row prisoners is so low.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Well, there's a difference between clemency and having your sentence commuted. Clemency comes from high government officials and is, yes, very rare. Sentence commuting in the game, however, is pretty normal from what I've seen for Western countries that still have capitol punishment. Most guys end up getting their sentence commuted to life, but that happens more often than not even in Texas nowadays because capitol punishment is so onerous for the state to adjudicate. It literally costs less to keep someone in prison for life than it does to execute them in America because there are so many legal challenges, the expert medical help is so expensive, and the drug cocktail is such a pain in the rear end to get right. So most people who are sentenced to death will later have their sentences commuted quietly by some appeal circuit judge after the public has stopped paying attention, because the department would prefer to use that money for other things.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
So when a CI tells me about contraband hidden in a cell, is there anything I can actually do with that information? The cell is empty at the time, so I don't know whose it is, so I can't order a cell search. Does contraband I've been told about get automatically found on the next shakedown at least? It's driving me nuts that my CIs are going "yeah there's three cell phones in there" and I can't take action about it.

Also wiping out cell phones is goddamn impossible, I've got all the other contraband at least well in control but these fuckers are swimming in phones.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.
Click on the bed, then "Search Cell". Should come right up.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Just make sure to wait until you've dismissed the CI to do it. They'll get loads of suspicion otherwise.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

CapnAndy posted:

So when a CI tells me about contraband hidden in a cell, is there anything I can actually do with that information? The cell is empty at the time, so I don't know whose it is, so I can't order a cell search. Does contraband I've been told about get automatically found on the next shakedown at least? It's driving me nuts that my CIs are going "yeah there's three cell phones in there" and I can't take action about it.

Also wiping out cell phones is goddamn impossible, I've got all the other contraband at least well in control but these fuckers are swimming in phones.

I don't even bother with most contraband unless its tools which can lead to escapes. Also you can click on any item in the cell to search the cell. But yeah, don't do it while the CI is still at security.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

A Pale Horse posted:

They probably don't want you turning your prison into a state sanctioned murder mill which is also why the rate of death row prisoners is so low.

But my prisons wind up being state sanctioned murder mills. And I don't even need an execution chamber to make it so. The prisoners do it for free. :v:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The key difference between freetime and scheduled activities is prisoner control. Freetime lets them just handle their needs on their own time which means that you'll be less likely to see a bunch of prisoners with critically low needs being shoved into the same room at the same time. On the other hand, because they can wander all over the prison during free time, it means you'll need to make entirely separate facilities for your PC prisoners and (possibly) supermax as well. With scheduled activities like yard or shower time, you can have your PC prisoners make use of the canteens because all the other prisoners will be forced to go to a particular room. Having a more structured regime also lets you be a little more efficient with your deployment - you can have a couple of dogs that get assigned to the yard or such during yard time and easily sniff out anyone there, rather than needing a bunch of dogs all over the prison all the time.

My prisons are mixed and I don't make extensive use of snitches. I haven't played with Gangs though.

I'm not exactly sure what snitches do for me. It's not important for me to know the attributes of individual prisoners. I just keep everyone happy and design things to not be exploitable by the prisoners as best as I can.

Inevitablelongshot
Mar 26, 2010

Met posted:

My prisons are mixed and I don't make extensive use of snitches. I haven't played with Gangs though.

I'm not exactly sure what snitches do for me. It's not important for me to know the attributes of individual prisoners. I just keep everyone happy and design things to not be exploitable by the prisoners as best as I can.

Some prisoners will come into the prison with "Ex-Law Enforcement" or "Snitch" characteristics. These guys will get shanked by the other prisoners, usually at the first opportunity (especially if you have and max sec guys that come into contact with them). In my experience, the only way to keep them alive long term is to have a small separate wing for them. I guess maybe if your prison is very segregated and they only come into contact with min security prisoners, they may survive but it wouldn't work for me (I like to throw the occasional less psychotic gang members in min sec to help keep the gangs spread out and under control)

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Inevitablelongshot posted:

Some prisoners will come into the prison with "Ex-Law Enforcement" or "Snitch" characteristics. These guys will get shanked by the other prisoners, usually at the first opportunity (especially if you have and max sec guys that come into contact with them). In my experience, the only way to keep them alive long term is to have a small separate wing for them. I guess maybe if your prison is very segregated and they only come into contact with min security prisoners, they may survive but it wouldn't work for me (I like to throw the occasional less psychotic gang members in min sec to help keep the gangs spread out and under control)

There is also the 'cop killer' trait which you'll want to lock up in a luxury cell or something so that they don't kick-off and get beaten to death by a guard.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I find snitches are useful for trying to rid my prison of needles - they're the only drug that can't be detected by sniffer dogs so they tend to get around a lot unless you do a regular shakedown every few nights, and prisoners just love to steal them from the infirmary during rehab treatment.

I wish there was some sort of "checkpoint" object that you could place that would automatically flag anyone passing through it for a search, rather than having to rely on metal detectors or dogs which will only trigger on certain things.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I just search the cellblocks when they're in the yard.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

ShootaBoy posted:

Just make sure to wait until you've dismissed the CI to do it. They'll get loads of suspicion otherwise.

More or less anything below gun, keys or pickaxe are not worth it, in my experience. And pickaxe only because it is a clear sign that this motherfucker tries to dig himself out and should be locked somewhere deep within the building.

Everything else just shores up at some point because of fight, metal detector, dog or rolling block searches during the nighttime.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
A checkpoint object would be really cool. Also the ability for mandatory searches of anything coming in, like the reception room but for goods.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

The Cheshire Cat posted:

unless you do a regular shakedown every few nights

And why wouldn't you. Shakedown all night, every night.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Obfuscation posted:

And why wouldn't you. Shakedown all night, every night.

I rotate shakedowns. I'll shake a dorm down on average every third night and I haven't had an escape since the first few days of my prison with that strategy.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Inevitablelongshot posted:

Some prisoners will come into the prison with "Ex-Law Enforcement" or "Snitch" characteristics. These guys will get shanked by the other prisoners, usually at the first opportunity (especially if you have and max sec guys that come into contact with them).
I really wish snitches and ex-LEO were more obvious and not buried behind two menus and a CI. If I don't manually inspect my intake every day they get stabbed before I can notice them; it's a loving hassle.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 19, 2015

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Picked this up over the weekend. Stayed up way too late last night trying to fail. I figured just making a massive holding cell stuffed it with beds, some toilets with showers on top, armed guards, and some dogs, then selecting ALL would cause a riot within hours, but several days passed with just the occasional murder during shakedowns (offsetting the min/normal schedules by 12 hours and putting murderers in solitary confinement forever might have helped stabilize the situation). Eventually I realized I would have to do more to fail, and set the regime to ALL YARD ALL THE TIME, and sure enough a riot started that killed caused 100 deaths. Still didn't fail the next day though (set everybody to freetime and there weren't 5 deaths), so I ended up just sacking all the guards and setting the regime to ALL YARD again (and making some holes in the wall), which eventually caused an uncontrolled riot. Still couldn't get the actual loss, as the train of hearses were backed up with no guards to load them, preventing the soldiers from pulling up.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

CapnAndy posted:

I really wish snitches and ex-LEO were more obvious and not buried behind two menus and a CI. If I don't manually inspect my intake every day they get stabbed before I can notice them; it's a loving hassle.

With a good coverage CI snitches and ex-LEO will have a big red target over them (even if they've already been moved to PC), so you'll know who in your prison is marked for death by the inmates.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
This game does desperately need more graphs and lists and stuff to sperg on. The menu is rather clunky as it is and it's insanely hard to find a specific prisoner/staff member.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
The game could also REALLY do with some hot keys.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Splode posted:

And saveable clone templates. Across saves/prisons I mean

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Splode posted:

Oh sweet Jesus, yes. Trying to build a basic office with the three required pieces of furniture should only take 9-12 key strokes and three mouse clicks, not the 18-20 key presses + 10 or so mouse clicks.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Would be nice too to skip the formality of doing all that research again

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

This game does desperately need more graphs and lists and stuff to sperg on. The menu is rather clunky as it is and it's insanely hard to find a specific prisoner/staff member.

I would just appreciate a prisoner "roster" where you could sort by things like name, or sentence, or last offence.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Last offence would be pretty useless, considering all prisoners commit crimes. Why would a min sec steal poo poo if his sentence expires the very next day, for example?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

The Cheshire Cat posted:

With a good coverage CI snitches and ex-LEO will have a big red target over them (even if they've already been moved to PC), so you'll know who in your prison is marked for death by the inmates.
Well yeah, that's exactly what I meant about being buried behind two menus and a CI. If I don't do that literally every day, my first indication that there's someone who needs protecting in my prison is when they get stabbed to death.

Also my PC boys are driving me up the loving wall. I made them their own canteen. I made them their own yard. Those places are protected. What do they do? Bumblefuck around and end up in the main yard so that anyone who's not currently working a job can come up and have a go after all. I REALIZE IT'S A SHARED ZONE BUT STAY IN YOUR PLACES, IDIOTS

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

CapnAndy posted:

Well yeah, that's exactly what I meant about being buried behind two menus and a CI. If I don't do that literally every day, my first indication that there's someone who needs protecting in my prison is when they get stabbed to death.

Also my PC boys are driving me up the loving wall. I made them their own canteen. I made them their own yard. Those places are protected. What do they do? Bumblefuck around and end up in the main yard so that anyone who's not currently working a job can come up and have a go after all. I REALIZE IT'S A SHARED ZONE BUT STAY IN YOUR PLACES, IDIOTS

Airlock the PC wing with Staff Only zones maybe?

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
Yeah, airlock the areas and don't use freetime.

Prisoners will go to the nearest available yard, in terms of physical distance not pathing distance.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Airlocking isn't really feasible, it's a small prison that's just sorta grown around the original holding cell. The PCers are sharing a block with Death Row and I'd need to block off a regular cell block and one of the main walkways. It's something to think about when I sell and rebuild at Medium.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

dogstile posted:

Last offence would be pretty useless, considering all prisoners commit crimes. Why would a min sec steal poo poo if his sentence expires the very next day, for example?

I was just thinking in a "wow, this guy's murdered 3 people since he's been in, maybe he should be supermax" kind of way. Once I get over 200 or so I start missing these things.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
There needs to be some sort of notification system that provides reports on what has happened in your prison. Kind of like Dungeon Keeper or Evil Genius. Something that will say "X was involved in a fight" "X has been released" "X, Y, Z have been found with contrabrand" or something along those lines. At the moment I feel a major disconnect between running the prison and actually understanding what happens in there. Everything is too convoluted if you didn't witness it happen. I.E finding out who has been in a fight is a case of either looking at the dead body and the persons sent to solitary.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Does anyone know if we are getting 2 or 3 more updates with the official release in October?

I hope they give us a few more rooms/production chains and not just bug bashes. I'd like the ability to set up an internet room and a jobs program.

Also, the use of armed guards needs to be adjusted. They are almost pointless. I hire 2 for the grant, 1 extra and then only deploy them at the very last road gate on the N and S entrances. Using them anywhere else causes suppression spirals.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

PantsFreeZone posted:

Also, the use of armed guards needs to be adjusted. They are almost pointless. I hire 2 for the grant, 1 extra and then only deploy them at the very last road gate on the N and S entrances. Using them anywhere else causes suppression spirals.
I mean, you're not wrong, especially once you roll out tazers to everyone else, but I think you're supposed to just sit them in the Armory way the gently caress away from civilized people and manually roll 'em out if there's a riot?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Armed Guards are useful at the entrance to major cell block areas where prisoners shouldn't be on a regular basis (such as in front of the min-sec or the max-sec entrance or something), to grab an easy point or two of Punishment/Security without affecting the day-to-day, and are also useful in parole rooms, to keep people from kicking off if their parole gets denied. This is true regardless of your prison's ethos. They are also universally useful for patrolling cell blocks populated by a bunch of gang members (aka, the supermax/death row wing) because those guys never work or attend reform programs - eternal suppression is really the best thing you can ask for.

Beyond that, they're undoubtedly more useful in prisons that are geared toward being about punishment hellholes, but is it really a surprise that jackbooted, barrel chested, shotgun toting thugs aren't terribly useful in situations where people are trying to work and learn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?
You have to watch out about having armed guards around super max legendary prisoners, those fuckers can and will TAKE the shotguns right out of the guards hands and precede to blast away until they are tazered or killed. I've lost over 10 guards to one supermax prisoner who keeps taking batons or guns and getting a kill or two before he is subdued via tazer or shotgun blast, but he is extremely tough so he is never hurt too bad to die. The dickhole kicks off for no reason and just lures those guards into his 3x3 cell of doom.

• Locked thread