Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nerobro posted:

Then lots of people shouldn't be flying.

Well, the F-15 does have that nice gun cross marker at the top of the hud and a flight path marker so if you can't figure out alpha and beta from that then yes you shouldn't be flying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
This news story has a few more details regarding the mid air collision in southern California last week

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/aug/17/plane-crash-brown-field-update/

Both aircraft were talking to the tower.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

:swoon:

All Nippon Airways will be flying these into YVR. So rad.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

I don't like the way it looks painted across the whole plane. I think it would look better if the plane was painted up like it had been in a turbolaser battle with the engines painted like an R2 unit under each wing.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Advent Horizon posted:

I don't like the way it looks painted across the whole plane. I think it would look better if the plane was painted up like it had been in a turbolaser battle with the engines painted like an R2 unit under each wing.

That would certainly be better, but this is still great. :)

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

Advent Horizon posted:

I believe the engines are only allowed to be flat white or flat black

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Why would this be the case?

Bugsmasher
May 3, 2004

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

I believe the engines are only allowed to be flat white or flat black

Air Canada's 787's have their toothpaste blue colour on the engines too.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Bugsmasher posted:

Air Canada's 787's have their toothpaste blue colour on the engines too.

Southwest uses their colors on the engines, too. I think everyone does?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

787 engines are special. According to airliners.net

quote:

The engines cannot be painted because the laminar nacelle's flow characteristics are crucial. Boeing has stressed a lot that the engine MUST be a single, neutral color, as any decals or paint color differences will cause ridges that will affect flow significantly, despite the boundary layer.

The reason they can't be dark is, I believe, due to CFRP's heat characteristics. Many composites do poorly under temperature effects.

I wonder how much engineering time went into RR figuring out where to put their decal.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
British Airways' 787 engines are dark blue.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

StandardVC10 posted:

British Airways' 787 engines are dark blue.

hmmmm

quote:

But Boeing says it is evaluating customer requests to paint the nacelles on a "case by case basis".

"We need to evaluate each custom colour request because different colours may require different thicknesses to achieve the desired appearance," the airframer says.

"We need to ensure that the thickness required does not exceed the design tolerance."

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

787 engines are special. According to airliners.net

I wonder how much engineering time went into RR figuring out where to put their decal.

surely that bit about airflow just affects fuel economy and airlines can choose to sacrifice that?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

surely that bit about airflow just affects fuel economy and airlines can choose to sacrifice that?

It almost certainly also effects the flow over the fan cowl chevrons, which are for noise reduction, which the manufacturer probably isn't willing to sacrifice.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Well heat causing delamination of the composites would be a slightly larger problem.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Mr. Showtime posted:

The F-35 has one absolute motherfucker of an engine (at mil power it's pushing just as hard as the F-16's F100-PW-229). The A and C carry like 20,000 pounds of fuel internally or something crazy like that to reduce the need for drop tanks. I'd believe it.
:drat: 43000lbf wet? Why is there not a big twin-engine fighter with two of those? It'd be what the West thought the MiG-25 was. It's obviously not a ridiculous design tailored to the one situation like the RR Pegasus.

vessbot posted:

Nebakenezzer: "That crazy fighter with the wasp major engine"
There were several, actually. I was reading about the R-4360 for unrelated reasons, and it was prototyped in the Corsair (Goodyear F2G, successful on the race circuit) and P-47 (Republic XP-72), in addition to various recon and attack birds, many of which for some reason had F- designations (like Hughes' XF-11, which looked like a gangly P-38).

Those, and the Gee Bee being not incorrectly described as "an R-1340 with wings and a tail" makes me wonder: what single-engine planes have the most power/thrust? Absolute and power:weight both, if you're feeling frisky, for all the categories in the previous quiz (piston, turboprop, jet, maybe even motorjet). Don't bother spoilering your answers, I'm too lazy to curate it as a contest.

As a corollary, what is the most overengined plane with any number of engines, based on max thrust and minimum weight for, say, an airshow demo? Probably one of the big cargo haulers or a long-range airliner.

Now I'm picturing one of those wacky (French?) designs where the cockpit is in the prop spinner/inlet spike, with a GE90-115B. Would it be possible to have something fighter-sized with a GE90 and 1.6:1 t:w?

Edit: also, the motorjet is peak aeronautical insanity, using a piston engine to drive the compressor of a jet engine (and also maybe a prop).

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 20, 2015

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Delivery McGee posted:

Those, and the Gee Bee being not incorrectly described as "an R-1340 with wings and a tail" makes me wonder: what single-engine planes have the most power/thrust?

X-15 at just over 2:1 fully fueled :v:

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

Delivery McGee posted:

Edit: also, the motorjet is peak aeronautical insanity, using a piston engine to drive the compressor of a jet engine (and also maybe a prop).

There's the Grob Strato 2C as well which used parts of a Pratt and Whitney PW127 turbine to feed a piston engine.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

hobbesmaster posted:

X-15 at just over 2:1 fully fueled :v:

I probably should have specified "air-breathing."

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Delivery McGee posted:

It still breathes air. They just liquefy it first, and only carry the bit that actually supports combustion. :v:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Delivery McGee posted:

Fine.

X-43A :v:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

Delivery McGee posted:

:drat: 43000lbf wet? Why is there not a big twin-engine fighter with two of those? It'd be what the West thought the MiG-25 was. It's obviously not a ridiculous design tailored to the one situation like the RR Pegasus.
That's basically the F119. The F135 has a bunch of design compromises for cost, weight and the need to drive a lift fan in the F-35B (like the loss of supercruise).

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
The F-35 can supercruise at mach 1.2. And the F135 has considerably more thrust than the F119.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Tires are catchin' fire :stare:

When this happens, is it a major maintenance hassle?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Justice.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nebakenezzer posted:

Generally, yes:

It really depends on the circumstance, though. An aircraft with all its static wicks present and properly bonded, struck in the air, might get away with no damage at all, or just some paint damage. Other times, not so much. The Delta 737 definitely looks like it went to ground through the gear, so probably some damage. A good strike like that tends to pop breakers before it fries anything, but stuff still gets burned up occasionally. It's really luck of the draw.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
please trigger warning any pictures of ASA CRJs

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
So the Bugatti 100p replica FLEW!

https://www.facebook.com/TheBugatti100pProject?fref=nf

Goddamn that plane is a sexy beast! History has been made, it just took 76 years or so.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

It's almost like I could swear we have seen it before. Maybe even in this very thread.

Yeah, it's pretty :cool:

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
drat. Well they uploaded a video today which is pretty cool on their Facebook page. Two straight-8s sound so good.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Vitamin J posted:

drat. Well they uploaded a video today which is pretty cool on their Facebook page. Two straight-8s sound so good.

They're not using Bugatti engines in the replica; rather, they're using a couple of turbocharged Hayabusa engines. The Bugatti engines are simply unattainable at any reasonable (or unreasonable, for that matter) price.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

MrChips posted:

They're not using Bugatti engines in the replica; rather, they're using a couple of turbocharged Hayabusa engines. The Bugatti engines are simply unattainable at any reasonable (or unreasonable, for that matter) price.
Ah well poo poo I totally missed that somehow, I thought they were manufacturing the engines new for the plane. I thought it looked a little underpowered on the takeoff at 80% engine power.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Looking forward

and aft.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Mortabis posted:

Even (especially?) today I doubt there's a profitable market in SSTs. There just aren't enough people willing to pay that much more to get where they're going a few hours faster, and we have things like videoconferencing (:barf:) now that we didn't then which takes a chunk out of the business market.

I totally agree, but I would bet that Etihad or Emirates would go for a few.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Why does it strike there and not the tail Vert Stab?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lightning does what it wants.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

joat mon posted:

Looking forward

and aft.

Where are the turbos?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

joat mon posted:

Looking forward

and aft.

Hmm, turns out it might not be turbocharged after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

God says "Don't take off right now".

Nebakenezzer posted:

Even if the plane isn't damaged, I imagine the maintenance crew doesn't enjoy cleaning all the poop off the passenger seats in that area of the airplane. :v: