Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

The real coolest feature that stopped working in 3.0 was search + letter on a keyboard would jump you between preset apps. But the recent apps works well enough now.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Apple/HTC/Samsung must have made really good hardware keyboards to drain blackberry's userbase that thoroughly.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 20, 2018

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I think that's pretty accurate. Throw in the fact that keyboards, especially ones with slider mechanisms, take up a lot of room that would otherwise go to battery and in these times where a 5" screen is the norm, you need all the battery you can get. Remember the last good keyboard phone, the G2, had a 3.7" screen.

Like you said though they're just way more expensive to make, far harder to localize, and more prone to break for a feature most people don't want at all. Nice that someone is catering to the niche now, though, as I don't think anyone thinks that there just aren't enough featureless monoliths out there.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

If they make a Blackberry Classic-esque phone running stock Android I'll buy it so fast heads will loving spin.

I might give the Venice a try, but I am extremely skeptical of its durability, and strongly suspect that the first tumble it'll take (case or not) that loving keyboard is going to break.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone installed M Preview 3 on their N5? I know, it's a preview, not for general use, bla bla, sure. Have been running Preview 1 & 2 since they came out with zero issues and the UI improvements are worthwhile over Lollipop. Mostly just wondering if SMS is totally broken as the patchnotes indicate.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

IuniusBrutus posted:

If they make a Blackberry Classic-esque phone running stock Android I'll buy it so fast heads will loving spin.

I might give the Venice a try, but I am extremely skeptical of its durability, and strongly suspect that the first tumble it'll take (case or not) that loving keyboard is going to break.

I still say that despite its problems and small screen my old blackberry pearl was the best phone I've ever owned. I would love something similar now.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Daily Forecast posted:

I still haven't gotten the "you got it" email from Motorola and I've had my Moto G for like three weeks now.

Is it weird that one of my favorite things about this phone is that it looks like an iPhone without being one
The website still says my Moto X 2013 is being assembled. And no, it's not weird. The iPhone is a great design and Motorola's phones look good in a similar but not ripped off way.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Tunga posted:

Has anyone installed M Preview 3 on their N5? I know, it's a preview, not for general use, bla bla, sure. Have been running Preview 1 & 2 since they came out with zero issues and the UI improvements are worthwhile over Lollipop. Mostly just wondering if SMS is totally broken as the patchnotes indicate.

I had 1 and 2, but the NJ Transit app doesn't work on them. I use it for my monthly train pass, so it not working is a big problem.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Tunga posted:

Installed this morning, haven't had a chance to use it any, yet.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

FAUXTON posted:

Apple/HTC/Samsung must have made really good hardware keyboards to drain blackberry's userbase that thoroughly.
Blackberry's userbase drained because having actual apps is the most important thing. Which is why, as others said, they should have swallowed their pride and just gone Android.

@evleaks posted some gifs:

https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/634148059052658688

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Tunga posted:

Sending an sms from hangouts, it says it's sent, but then once you go back it's disappeared from the conversation. As far as I can tell it gets sent fine though

Same with receiving, you'll get the preview pop up, but then there's no sign of it on the conversation screen

Both last sent and received still show on the conversation list, under their user name though

Stuff like pushbullet, sms backup + etc cant seem to see them either

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/08/new-data-uncovers-the-surprising-predictability-of-android-lock-patterns/

Pretty interesting article detailing why the Android pattern unlock isn't as secure as people think due to users making the patterns too easy and leaving the "Make pattern visible" option on.

If you use a 8 or 9 point pattern, that has overlaps, and turn off the "Make pattern visible" option, things would be a lot harder to guess.

I like how, unlike most articles and studies, the guy basically broke it down scientifically and didn't really blame the software feature but the humans using it. He studied both males and females to see which patterns were used the most. Apparently, males use more complex patterns than females do and most everyone starts in the top-left corner.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006
I'm having the widest thing happening with my Nexus 6. Three times in the past three days (do once per day) audio has started playing from my phone while it's locked and either sitting on my desk or in my pocket. The first two times it sounded like some kind of DIY YouTube video but it just happened again about five minutes ago and it was some song that I didn't recognize.

I tried killing all the apps that were open using the app switcher thing and it still kept playing. The past two days it happened the only way I found to stop the audio was to play something else and then pause whatever I started playing, but today the song ended before I got a chance to do that since I was trying to kill apps to see I could figure out what the hell is doing this.

The weird thing is, the two DIY-sounding things are definitely things I've never watched and the song was one that I didn't recognize at all. And I don't even have any music stored on my phone.

So what the hell could be causing this? Apart from this really weird thing, the phone seems to be acting normal.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/08/new-data-uncovers-the-surprising-predictability-of-android-lock-patterns/

Pretty interesting article detailing why the Android pattern unlock isn't as secure as people think due to users making the patterns too easy and leaving the "Make pattern visible" option on.
I found the original video for this talk, in case anyone is interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57qGDAfMPEc

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Sorry if this is the wrong place, but I need advice. I purchased a note 3 n900a from Swappa and this morning I noticed a horizontal "band" on the screen that is darker than the rest of the screen. It starts about 1/4" from the top and extends 3" down. Might be the same size as one of the widgets on the home screen? I only noticed it on a white background but now that my eyes are trained it's visible with any solid color on the screen. It stays put if I rotate the phone.

Is this normal or should I be asking for a refund? The photos in the listing were of the multicolored lock screen so it wasn't visible and it wasn't mentioned in the text. I'm not even sure how to succinctly describe the problem and I have no idea if it's fixable.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

antiga posted:

Sorry if this is the wrong place, but I need advice. I purchased a note 3 n900a from Swappa and this morning I noticed a horizontal "band" on the screen that is darker than the rest of the screen. It starts about 1/4" from the top and extends 3" down. Might be the same size as one of the widgets on the home screen? I only noticed it on a white background but now that my eyes are trained it's visible with any solid color on the screen. It stays put if I rotate the phone.

Is this normal or should I be asking for a refund? The photos in the listing were of the multicolored lock screen so it wasn't visible and it wasn't mentioned in the text. I'm not even sure how to succinctly describe the problem and I have no idea if it's fixable.

It's most likely screen burn-in, which happens to AMOLED displays like the Note 3 has.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

antiga posted:

Sounds a lot like burn-in. I'd return it.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Skarsnik posted:

Sending an sms from hangouts, it says it's sent, but then once you go back it's disappeared from the conversation. As far as I can tell it gets sent fine though

Same with receiving, you'll get the preview pop up, but then there's no sign of it on the conversation screen

Both last sent and received still show on the conversation list, under their user name though

Stuff like pushbullet, sms backup + etc cant seem to see them either
Looks like Google pushed new builds and I notice that the SMS issue is no longer mentioned in the known issues section. If you decide to try the new build I'd be interested to know if it fixes it.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I'm on MPA44l, the new one

However I did only fastboot flash the system.img, as apparently that's all that changed

I wonder if it's an issue similar to the contacts db bug if you upgraded from 1 to 2. It had a new schema but no code to upgrade it

No time for a clean flash today though

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

My N6 is complaining that, since LastPass has accessibility rights, it won't secure my lockscreen. Does LastPass hurt security that much if it's allowed ti autofill?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

This is a dumb question

All of my music is tied up in iTunes/Apple formats. Can Android devices play iTunes music?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

My N6 is complaining that, since LastPass has accessibility rights, it won't secure my lockscreen. Does LastPass hurt security that much if it's allowed ti autofill?

I use a secure lockscreen and LastPass. There must be something else to it.

DOOP posted:

This is a dumb question

All of my music is tied up in iTunes/Apple formats. Can Android devices play iTunes music?

Yes. The easiest way is to sync your iTunes library to Google Music and use that. There's an app that you can use to automatically add new iTunes music to Google Music once your entire library is synced.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

DOOP posted:

This is a dumb question

IIRC iTunes lets you convert to and download in non-DRM-encumbered form, so you could download all your music using iTunes, upload to Google Music, and be good to go.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

ruby idiot railed posted:

IIRC iTunes lets you convert to and download in non-DRM-encumbered form, so you could download all your music using iTunes, upload to Google Music, and be good to go.

As long as you purchased your music after they dropped all the crazy DRM stuff. Old music still has DRM, and as far as I know, can't be uploaded to Google Music without extra work. Like burning and ripping a CD or something.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

This is what mine says if I let LastPass have accessibility rights.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Mogomra posted:

As long as you purchased your music after they dropped all the crazy DRM stuff. Old music still has DRM, and as far as I know, can't be uploaded to Google Music without extra work. Like burning and ripping a CD or something.

When did Apple change the DRM?Because I probably have some old music then.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

The difference is that the N6 has mandatory device encryption.

ThermoPhysical posted:

This is what mine says if I let LastPass have accessibility rights.
How I read this is that it will still enable the lockscreen, it just won't use the password as part of the decryption key for your device data. Have you tried just using it anyway? Or is your issue that you care a lot about encryption?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Tunga posted:

The difference is that the N6 has mandatory device encryption.

How I read this is that it will still enable the lockscreen, it just won't use the password as part of the decryption key for your device data. Have you tried just using it anyway? Or is your issue that you care a lot about encryption?

I've tried using it anyway and I don't see much different I guess? I do care about the encryption though. :v: I live in a lovely part of town and whatever helps me keep personal info from prying eyes, the better. If I have to just use the app and constantly do the Copy Notifications, I suppose that'd not be too bad.

I never actually saw that come up on my N4 or N7 so yeah, I'm assuming it's new to the 6 and 9.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

DOOP posted:

I believe if you look at your library in iTunes, you're music will be labeled as having/not having DRM somehow.

I haven't touched iTunes in forever, so I'm not exactly an expert, but I remember being kinda pissed when I had to gently caress around to get my music.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

ThermoPhysical posted:

I never actually saw that come up on my N4 or N7 so yeah, I'm assuming it's new to the 6 and 9.

I get the same warning on my turbo (my device is not encrypted).

As mentioned, I think it just prevents the pin from being used as part of the encryption key.

Sinjang
May 29, 2013
Sudden Nexus 6 problems here - only since I've installed the Stagefright OTA but I don't know if that's the cause.

A few times a day, my screen will turn off randomly while I'm using the phone, and after I wake it up it will happen again 1-2 times in quick succession, sometimes just going to lock screen instead of switching off the screen. I haven't done any mods or anything weird to the phone, it's been perfect so far. Anyone else seen anything like this?

Sinjang fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 20, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DOOP posted:

2009. Here's a tutorial on how to check and get DRM-free version.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Sinjang posted:

Sudden Nexus 6 problems here - only since I've installed the Stagefright OTA but I don't know if that's the cause.

A few times a day, my screen will turn off randomly while I'm using the phone, and after I wake it up it will happen again 1-2 times in quick succession, sometimes just going to lock screen instead of switching off the screen. I haven't done any mods or anything weird to the phone, it's been perfect so far. Anyone else seen anything like this?

While using it in a call? The proximity sensor on the N6 is really really sensitive, and a screen protector will trip it, and make it think it's covered. My N6 at first would immediately go black when I got on a phone call, and I eventually found a google groups post with that issue. They keep tweaking the sensitivity settings in different updates, so it works and then doesn't as you update.

Sinjang
May 29, 2013

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

While using it in a call? The proximity sensor on the N6 is really really sensitive, and a screen protector will trip it, and make it think it's covered. My N6 at first would immediately go black when I got on a phone call, and I eventually found a google groups post with that issue. They keep tweaking the sensitivity settings in different updates, so it works and then doesn't as you update.

Not in a call, and no screen protector, just during normal use. It's ok for hours at a stretch and then goes dodgy without warning. I might factory reset.

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004
I'm new to Android, so this may or may not be a stupid question.

Have had the S6 for a few months now, and use power-amp as my main music player.

I'm streaming music in my truck via Bluetooth, and place / take a phone call, then get out of the truck while still on the phone. When the phone call ends, my music starts up again over the phone speakers. It can be rather embarrassing depending on the crappy music I have playing at the time.

I have "Pause on Headset Disconnect" checked in power amp settings. Any ideas?

Somtimes it's a quick 2 seconds of audio then it terminates. But often times it just keeps playing into I manually stop it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ThermoPhysical posted:

If you use a 8 or 9 point pattern, that has overlaps, and turn off the "Make pattern visible" option, things would be a lot harder to guess.

I like how, unlike most articles and studies, the guy basically broke it down scientifically and didn't really blame the software feature but the humans using it. He studied both males and females to see which patterns were used the most. Apparently, males use more complex patterns than females do and most everyone starts in the top-left corner.

Interesting indeed. Mine is 7 points with one overlap (8 points if the overlap counts), trace turned on but I start in the upper right and avoid the upper left because my hands are too small for this lolhugefone Nexus 6. Non symmetrical pattern.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 20, 2015

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I only skimmed the article but does it mention the greasy finger trail you often see as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Mock the keyboard all you want, at least the know the headphone port goes on the bottom.