Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

It counts every single dude your army kills. If it were commander only the Imperial Guard would get like, 0 loving wargear during the campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

So, if Tau stay in their suits for too long, they go berserk? That's awesome!

HerraS posted:

It counts every single dude your army kills. If it were commander only the Imperial Guard would get like, 0 loving wargear during the campaign.

Fair enough, and what about 3-to-1 ratio? That thing sounds the most confusing

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Once again, the number of individual dudes your army kills vs. the number of individual dudes your enemy's army kills. Really loving hard as the Guard unless you're willing to sit behind turrets and sandbags or wait until your army consists of nothing but tanks!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Your army kills at least 3 enemies for every 1 soldiers you lose. It has a slightly more complex trigger in the sense that it won't activate on the first few turns and on pathetically easy missions, but it's pretty much what it says on the tin.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

dasmause posted:

So, if Tau stay in their suits for too long, they go berserk? That's awesome!

Well not berserk, more xenophobic, paranoid and distrustful of the leadership of the glorious Ethereals.
In other words, insane.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

Basically, a Tau that remains in the air-filtered environment of a battlesuit for too long begins to exhibit the kind of behaviours the Tau used to have before the Ethereals showed up. And I mean 'showed up'; way back in their past, a bunch of Tau were slaughtering each other with the kind of enthusiasm a Khornate might call 'somewhat excessive' when an Ethereal, the first of his kind, came up and started talking about how working together would be so much fun. The warring Tau immediately putt down their weapons, had tea, and started talking about how this Greater Good thing was awesome and that everyone should try it.

In other words, all the Tau but the Celestial Caste and the inhabitants of the Farsight Enclaves are being constantly mind-controlled by the Ethereals witht the use of what's possibly pheromones. If they remain isolated for a sufficiently long time, the control breaks.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

The Lone Badger posted:

Artifact of Khorne? We need that. For... reasons.

Take Pavonis so you can then airdrop into the Eres Badlands.

I second this. Blood for the blood greater good, skulls for the skull greater good.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Iretep posted:

Eldar and Dark Eldar make new things if they need to. They just dont need to advance much anymore since they are already firing mini black holes and anti matter at people. Necrons can probably still advance too but they are also at a similar level of technology to the Eldar. Humans can also advance but not at the similar level they could during the dark age of technology. They used AIs to make new technology that was almost magic but now AIs are banned so they can only make technology thats mostly just a bit more advanced than what humans have now. Like civilian population still produces gun powder based weapons on some planets. Of course laser guns are probably preferred but those are military grade stuff so not easy to come by for everyone.

At least in the case of the Imperium innovation is generally frowned upon by the Adeptus Mechanicus because clearly we'll never make anything as great as the stuff that came before, they prefer to find ancient blueprints than designing new ones. Eldar and Dark Eldar are really advanced, but only the Dark Eldar really do science and the science they do tends to be of the "IT'S ALIVE, IT'S ALIVE" type whereas the Eldar tend to pursue more artistic pursuits when not fighting, more importantly the Eldar think they've achieved the pinnacle of their technology and so don't really try to make new stuff. The Necrons are actually the most scientifically advanced race because they've reached the point where their science is only distinguishable from warp powers because there is near to no chance the Necron technology failing and it failing just means it doesn't work instead of creating horrifying portals to hell.

The two races who advance the fastest and most consistently technologically are the Tau, because they don't think they have the best technology and are perfectly willing to try new things to further their society and bring forth the greatest good, and funnily enough the Tyranids because they constantly evolve new biotechnology to improve their forms to increase their ability to devour everything. Honestly chaos come a far third in developing new technology because the Dark Mechanicus left primarily because the Adeptus Mechanicus said they weren't allowed to develop new things or experiment with xenos/heretical weaponry and now that they can they're going overboard with it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Blood for the blood good? That seems like a typo that could have far-reaching consequences.

Rogue Norwegian
Apr 6, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Well not berserk, more xenophobic, paranoid and distrustful of the leadership of the glorious Ethereals.
In other words, insane.

I've always read it as "Not slavishly obedient to the ethereals anymore. And that's terrible."

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Lord_Magmar posted:

At least in the case of the Imperium innovation is generally frowned upon by the Adeptus Mechanicus because clearly we'll never make anything as great as the stuff that came before, they prefer to find ancient blueprints than designing new ones.

Though they do occasionally 'find' ancient blueprints if there's some innovation they really, really want.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

anilEhilated posted:

Blood for the blood good? That seems like a typo that could have far-reaching consequences.

If this is the same O'Kais as the one from Fire Warrior, then it's not really a typo, is it? :unsmigghh:

The Lone Badger posted:

Though they do occasionally 'find' ancient blueprints if there's some innovation they really, really want.

Well that, and in your attempt to be creattive/innovate, you could create a Logos Daemonis- basically, a symbol pleasing to the Warp. Also remember that the Imperium focuses on production instead of effectiveness- what's the use of creating a lasgun that's 2x as good if it costs 3x the resources? Sure, 9 out of 10 Guardsmen will die trying to take an objective, but as long as it's taken, then that's all that matters.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

CommissarMega posted:

Well that, and in your attempt to be creattive/innovate, you could create a Logos Daemonis- basically, a symbol pleasing to the Warp.

This is true. Your circuit diagram accidentally spells out the true name of Shena-tatham, He Who Devours From Within, and now your new line of air conditioners come with factory-installed demons.
(The are are lot of things out there in the warp, so accidentally stumbling across one of them is more likely than you think)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

The Lone Badger posted:

This is true. Your circuit diagram accidentally spells out the true name of Shena-tatham, He Who Devours From Within, and now your new line of air conditioners come with factory-installed demons.
(The are are lot of things out there in the warp, so accidentally stumbling across one of them is more likely than you think)

But they cool the office off so efficiently!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

The Lone Badger posted:

Charles Stross's The Laundry Chronicles is totally a WH40K origin tie-in.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

The Lone Badger posted:

I've heard of this. I just wonder why the Tau never seem to experience TechDaemon invasions if every new circuit can accidentally summon monsters. Their decreased warp sensitivity shouldn't matter if it's the technology that is doing the summoning, no?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They might lose a couple of research labs and factories to "unexplained industrial accidents", but they don't have the quadrillions of people needed for one-in-a-trillion probabilities to become a serious hazard.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Theantero posted:

I've heard of this. I just wonder why the Tau never seem to experience TechDaemon invasions if every new circuit can accidentally summon monsters. Their decreased warp sensitivity shouldn't matter if it's the technology that is doing the summoning, no?

Actually yes, because the summoning is less about the actual shape of the stuff and more about the feeling/emotions of the people viewing it, I've mentioned it before but the Tau thinks chaos and demons are just a sort of shared madness the unenlightened of the galaxy share, said unenlightened being every one not in the tau empire. The Warp above all is a realm of souls and emotions, so those with powerful souls like eldar and psykers do more damage when fueled by powerful emotions, and those with barely any souls like the Tau rarely ever do damage. Basically the TechDaemon invasions happen because the Mechanicus think they should happen not because of the actual designs.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
And even if the Tau thought they would, Tau souls are just too weak to have any impact on the warp. To a demon, Tau souls are glasses of sugar water, human souls are a bowl of rice and veggies with a soft drink, and Eldar souls are a three course meal with the proper wines for each course.

Also, the Tau don't have to worry about demons taking over their machines- their AIs will be a problem soon enough...

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

Also, the Tau don't have to worry about demons taking over their machines- their AIs will be a problem soon enough...

Coming 2017, the Tau Empire is split up into two factions: the Tau Survivors, a society where the Kroot are in control and the Tau try to survive the Kroot way; and the Greater Good, an AI controlled army of death machines, courtesy of the formerly mentioned grey-skinned meat-bags.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Lord_Magmar posted:

Basically the TechDaemon invasions happen because the Mechanicus think they should happen not because of the actual designs.

This is also how Ork technology works, right? Painting a rocket red makes a bigger explosion not because of the paint but because the Orkz are convinced it works that way.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's just shameful that an AI hasn't gone full von Neumann/Berserker and eradicated everything already.

Shameful robots. Lazy.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I dont think the Tau AIs are properly advanced to go full AM levels of madness yet.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 20, 2015

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

TopherCStone posted:

This is also how Ork technology works, right? Painting a rocket red makes a bigger explosion not because of the paint but because the Orkz are convinced it works that way.

Naw ya stupid git, the red unz are da unz dat go fasta!

goatface posted:

It's just shameful that an AI hasn't gone full von Neumann/Berserker and eradicated everything already.

Shameful robots. Lazy.

Humanity already went through the Terminator apocalypse and shitstomped the robots, they're not stupid enough to try that again.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

TopherCStone posted:

Orkz project a sympathetic psychic field that is amplified by proximity to other orkz. More boyz means more Waaagh!, and their kit gets appropriately more choppy/shooty/etc. even without modifications. I think some boyz might even have shootas that just keep firing even after they run out of ammo because the ork shooting it is loving into that dakka and doesn't wanna stop firing (or maybe he just forgot he needed to reload).

Some boyz are born with an interest not just in Waaagh!, but in ways to facilitate Waaagh!. A subset of this type of ork is a Mek. Meks intuitively know how to build stuff, but whatever they build is also enhanced by the orkz' psychic abilities. This is why you get stuff like Red = Fast, Purple = Sneaky, etc. They're rules that weirdboyz like Meks understand as laws of nature, therefore all orkz accept them as fact and they are all true when applied to orkz.

ps imagine this post was spoken in a normal tone and volume except Waaagh! was screamed as loudly and brutally as possible

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 20, 2015

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
To be fair, purple is a great color for stealth. I mean, has anyone ever seen a purple Ork?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Terminators are dumb. I want space probes the size of deathstars that disassemble planets to make more of themselves.

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.

goatface posted:

Shameful robots. Lazy.

Well you've just described the Dark Age of Technology, the apotheosis of humanity's understanding of machines. Basically, Skynet wakes up, tries to take over the world (instead of Terminators, we have Men of Iron) until the good Emperor stopped anonymously guiding humanity and revealed himself as the godlike being that he was.

In the grim darkness of the far future, "AI" stands for Abominable Intelligence.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Actually the Emprah had nothing to do with the Men of Iron losing, one of the rare cases of humanity managing poo poo on it's own.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

HerraS posted:

Actually the Emprah had nothing to do with the Men of Iron losing, one of the rare cases of humanity managing poo poo on it's own.

Well, obviously. After all, the humans actually beat the Men of Iron.

Big E's plans tend to result in disaster, rather than victory.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Humanity was managing a whole lot in the dark age of technology without the emprah considering that was the main age where they expanded and made up new technology.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

TopherCStone posted:

Kind... of? The orks' WAAAGH field won't let them make something out of nothing- you can't give an ork a stick with a bit of paper stuck on that says 'SHOOTA' and expect him to take down a Guardsman, for example. It's just that the field makes things work much better for Orks. An Ork shoota can be used by human hands, but it would fall apart after just a few shots, while an Ork can keep going and going. And no, they can't make ammunition out of thin air, but they can, for example, use a variety of different calibered bullets in a shoota 'cos dat's what a shoota shoots, yeah?

Iretep posted:

Humanity was managing a whole lot in the dark age of technology without the emprah considering that was the main age where they expanded and made up new technology.

Honestly, if the Eldar hadn't hosed up and spawned Slaanesh, I think the Big E would've continued staying in the background and nudging things here and there. It was only after everything went to poo poo that he decided to put on his big boy pants and try to fix everything himself.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

CommissarMega posted:

Honestly, if the Eldar hadn't hosed up and spawned Slaanesh, I think the Big E would've continued staying in the background and nudging things here and there. It was only after everything went to poo poo that he decided to put on his big boy pants and try to fix everything himself.

Which ended so well. The other joke of the Imperium is how much it pines for the Great Man who will Fix Everything when basically every single one of those kinds of people in their history failed and made everything worse.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Night10194 posted:

Which ended so well. The other joke of the Imperium is how much it pines for the Great Man who will Fix Everything when basically every single one of those kinds of people in their history failed and made everything worse.

Except for the ones that were cool and that they killed for being too cool. If a recall they once got a general that was so great people more or less thought him the best thing since the Emperor. So the inqusiton had him killed because no one should be that good or something like that.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Except for the ones that were cool and that they killed for being too cool. If a recall they once got a general that was so great people more or less thought him the best thing since the Emperor. So the inqusiton had him killed because no one should be that good or something like that.

Lord Solar Macharius.

He was Space Alexander the Space Great, they don't even try to hide it. Also, he killed the gently caress out of an advanced colony for defying him that probably contained a full STC and certainly contained secrets to interialess travel without the Warp, which would've saved all of humanity. Nice work, Alexander.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The Imperium is not the entirety of (non-chaos) humanity, though it does a good job of murdering all evidence of it. I mean, the lore isn't exactly subtle about the Imperium seeking out and destroying everyone and everything not-Imperium, including places that figured out how to defend themselves from the big nasties of the universe without going :godwinning:.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

my dad posted:

The Imperium is not the entirety of (non-chaos) humanity, though it does a good job of murdering all evidence of it. I mean, the lore isn't exactly subtle about the Imperium seeking out and destroying everyone and everything not-Imperium, including places that figured out how to defend themselves from the big nasties of the universe without going :godwinning:.

Basically, this. The Imperium does everything it can to convince people this is as good as it gets and everything needs to be this lovely, while systematically destroying any alternative it can. It didn't manage to destroy the Tau because they might be a regional power but effectively, so is nearly any Imperial force thanks to their own logistical troubles, and it can't destroy Chaos, which makes Chaos an unfortunately prevalent 'alternative'. Chaos also has the incredible honor of being one of the only options open for a human to join that is actually worse than the Imperium.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 20, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Night10194 posted:

Big E's plans tend to result in disaster, rather than victory.

Someone please photoshop the emperor and co onto a "New Day" gif.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Night10194 posted:

Basically, this. The Imperium does everything it can to convince people this is as good as it gets and everything needs to be this lovely, while systematically destroying any alternative it can. It didn't manage to destroy the Tau because they might be a regional power but effectively, so is nearly any Imperial force thanks to their own logistical troubles, and it can't destroy Chaos, which makes Chaos an unfortunately prevalent 'alternative'. Chaos also has the incredible honor of being one of the only options open for a human to join that is actually worse than the Imperium.

Wow, thats some Tau propaganda if I ever heard any. Only reason Tau are still there is the fleet that was set to exterminate them got pulled to go fight the Tyranid hive fleets. They haven't had time to muster another mega fleet to finally get rid of the blue midgets. The Tau at this moment can't fight the imperiums space fleets at all. They can only keep doing hit and run tactics against he imperial guard and hope they run out of canon fodder. Sadly that wont be the case if the imperium ever stops being threatened by bigger dangers than the Tau.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Sebastian Thor was a legitimately Good and Cool person who legitimately made things Better and Cooler for everyone.

• Locked thread