Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The Final Fantasy thread should be a safe place for discussing anything with buds also interested in Final Fantasy, but I draw the line at adamantorttoise reform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Whoever did the voice direction for Type-0 is a bad person. They even managed to make Cristina Vee and Matthew Mercer sound bad, something I thought was impossible by human ears.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Not sure what's going on in this thread, but I ended up getting the Sun Sigil after about ninety minutes in total (not one sitting). I might have got it when I played the game ten+ years ago, but I couldn't remember much of it. I took some advice from a Youtube LP that I found really helpful.

As terrible as the minigame and the 0:0 requirement is, the feeling of finally getting it was a good one. If my stance on video games is for them to eat some time up, it's a great bonus to occasionally have a moment like that added into the bargain.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
did anyone else pick up FF7 on iOS? got it last night, it seems to run pretty nice actually

e. vvv yeah, i just mean controls-wise and poo poo. i thought it would play weird on an iphone vvv

Lovechop fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Aug 20, 2015

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Lovechop posted:

did anyone else pick up FF7 on iOS? got it last night, it seems to run pretty nice actually

Well it's from 1999 so it should. Hell I bet FFX Vita version can run on phones at this point.

I haven't got it just because I stopped playing really long RPGs on my phone (Finished all of FFT and FF5 on it though)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Baal posted:

They even managed to make Cristina Vee and Matthew Mercer sound bad,

Not that I've ever agreed with the sentiment but isn't Vee usually met with intense disdain for her voice acting? I've never really heard much in the way of compliments for her.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Aurain posted:

Not that I've ever agreed with the sentiment but isn't Vee usually met with intense disdain for her voice acting? I've never really heard much in the way of compliments for her.
she's been good in everything ive heard her in. she has a legitimately 'cute' voice without being ear scratching. also she voices like half the cast of blazblue and manages to make them sound distinct.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, CV isn't a bad, uh, CV, but she's just everywhere, and she uses the same voice for like 90% of what she does.

Not that that's unique to her of course. At least she switches it up now and again.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I honestly didn't have a clue who she was until I looked her up on Wiki. She hasn't been in any of the more recent games I've played except Mugen Souls Z. She was okay there I guess, played kind of a minor party member. She definitely didn't sound cute though but she also wasn't voicing a cute character.

She was in Time and Eternity though, which was being discussed in the RPG thread. I was thoroughly shocked to read on T&E's Wiki page that Stephanie Sheh voices a kind and innocent schoolgirl .Not typecast at all, is she. Granted, I only know her from Bleach and Haruhi so maybe she is a rowdy tough girl in every other role.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Aug 20, 2015

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mugi Souls Z

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Not sure what's going on in this thread, but I ended up getting the Sun Sigil after about ninety minutes in total (not one sitting). I might have got it when I played the game ten+ years ago, but I couldn't remember much of it. I took some advice from a Youtube LP that I found really helpful.

As terrible as the minigame and the 0:0 requirement is, the feeling of finally getting it was a good one. If my stance on video games is for them to eat some time up, it's a great bonus to occasionally have a moment like that added into the bargain.

My first time getting it back when the game came out took me 2 hours and while tedious I did not think the experience was too awful. Since then it takes me anywhere between 30-60 min which is much more tolerable and dare say even enjoyable.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

From my Steam feed:

I half-regret, half-love the fact I didn't preorder this thing.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Yeah, CV isn't a bad, uh, CV, but she's just everywhere, and she uses the same voice for like 90% of what she does.

Not that that's unique to her of course. At least she switches it up now and again.

Usually VAs using the same voice isn't really their fault, they just get known for one thing and then everyone wants them to do that one thing over and over again.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Most people that complain about VA's don't know how the VA industry works.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Lovechop posted:

e. vvv yeah, i just mean controls-wise and poo poo. i thought it would play weird on an iphone vvv

I've been loving trying! For something as simple as a tablet, the iPad sure finds a lot of ways to gently caress itself up.

* sees 50.6 GB of "Other" storage that can't be removed *

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Tae posted:

Most people that complain about VA's don't know how the VA industry works.

can you explain it bc I tend to think VAs in video games are almost always universally terrible while in movies they are pretty good.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

TommyGun85 posted:

can you explain it bc I tend to think VAs in video games are almost always universally terrible while in movies they are pretty good.

I have no idea what you mean. Are you saying games like Uncharted have bad VA's? What movies are you talking about?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

VAs for Japanese games usually have to match lip flap, which always messes with their cadence and makes performances seem unnatural. That's usually the problem with 90% of poor performances.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well

Madmarker posted:

gently caress off with that thought police nonsense, its a hateful phrase to use to describe doing well in anything.

Basement dwelling SJW stuff is over on Reddit this days amigo, but thanks. :eng101:

Now I'm heading back to the Matt Walsh blog comments to talk TRUMP 2016

pretend to care fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 20, 2015

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Like any type of acting, it really comes down to direction. Good direction is the difference between good acting and bad acting. Script helps too of course.

But yeah, I've seen good actors do terrible work. I don't agree with this but Final Fantasy X is kind of the ur-example. James Arnold Taylor and John DiMaggio are great talents but they didn't shine in X and that blame can be placed on direction. Yuna's VA is the single best example of this as well since she is absolutely better in X-2.

Also I will repeat this till Judgment Day but Legacy of Kain has the best voice-acting ever in anything and people who think video games can't have good voicework need to play Soul Reaver or Defiance.

Dubbing is a somewhat more iffy business. I don't agree with a lot of the hated dubs and a lot of others don't agree with my favorite dubbed video games so whatever.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'm going to ignore opinions on what is and isn't good or bad on voice acting, just so I can get this out of the way.

The usual process for dubbing over a japanese game/anime is extremely poor because it is usually a non-union job, which means low-paying. And probably short on time, money for editing, script writing, etc.

A lot of VA's do not watch the original source material and come in cold. That's not remotely a problem, but when you combine that with sketchy voice directors who are also probably writing the script, directing one VA at a time at different days for entire scenes or the game, and have far less time than needed, it will be rushed and not as good as it can be.

Then you have the most crippling factor of voice-acting, which is lip flaps. Trying to voice over another footage with all the factors above is a huge handicap in quality, not to mention that you rarely if ever see your co-stars and interact with them. Part of the success of why Cowboy Bebop is still herald as one of the better dub jobs is because Jet, Spike, and Faye were discussing the script and recorded in the same room. It's simple logic that one with time and actual interaction will do better than essentially a cold read, alone, with just the voice director.

Now for typecasting. Some people are cast for the same roles with the same voice because it is the easiest, fastest, and probably cheapest method. Liam O'Brian is not cast as a suave voice guy just because they want Liam O'Brian in their game/anime. They hire him because:
1) He's done this role before.
2) He's had plenty of experience with their studio or a studio they know, severely speeding up the contract negotiations
3) He knows the process well, which makes the studio's job easier
4) They know his schedule, so they can get more time with him for better quality and/or fixes.

Now, COULD they get a different person to voice this suave guy on the anime/game? Probably. But how much more time would that add to what is already a severely limited schedule release date for the localization? Do they know if the new guy's schedule is full in the future in case they need him for fixes or future franchise releases? Can they rely on him in the future as a valuable early contact for future projects? Etc, etc.

As a summary, a lot of things are like this because the anime/game industry outside of triple-A games is still a shithole that is driven largely by passion because it is not remotely a decent wage until you hit big as a union person.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Lovechop posted:

Well, so far this is pretty bad. All the text and menu backgrounds, from the first menu to the battle menu, etc. don't seem to render properly for me, and some backgrounds were missing. 100% unplayable so far, I'm hoping a reinstall will fix it but I don't expect a whole lot.

EDIT: It seems to work! iCloud is available for saves, too, so theoretically you can play on an iPad and an iPhone at the same time if that floats your boat.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 20, 2015

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Tae posted:

Now, COULD they get a different person to voice this suave guy on the anime/game? Probably.

The question is, SHOULD they?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The answer is no, they should not.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

pretend to care posted:

When I finally got it the other week I absolutely raped it. 0 birds hit and still managed like 14 balloons. It was just the perfect balloon layout, plus I sacrificed a little bit of speed to sell out on dodging the final birds.

Final Fantasy Megathread: I absolutely raped that chocobo

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Whizbang posted:

No, no, no, it's Rap de Chocobo!

Rap!!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tae posted:

I'm going to ignore opinions on what is and isn't good or bad on voice acting, just so I can get this out of the way.

The usual process for dubbing over a japanese game/anime is extremely poor because it is usually a non-union job, which means low-paying. And probably short on time, money for editing, script writing, etc.

A lot of VA's do not watch the original source material and come in cold. That's not remotely a problem, but when you combine that with sketchy voice directors who are also probably writing the script, directing one VA at a time at different days for entire scenes or the game, and have far less time than needed, it will be rushed and not as good as it can be.

Then you have the most crippling factor of voice-acting, which is lip flaps. Trying to voice over another footage with all the factors above is a huge handicap in quality, not to mention that you rarely if ever see your co-stars and interact with them. Part of the success of why Cowboy Bebop is still herald as one of the better dub jobs is because Jet, Spike, and Faye were discussing the script and recorded in the same room. It's simple logic that one with time and actual interaction will do better than essentially a cold read, alone, with just the voice director.

Now for typecasting. Some people are cast for the same roles with the same voice because it is the easiest, fastest, and probably cheapest method. Liam O'Brian is not cast as a suave voice guy just because they want Liam O'Brian in their game/anime. They hire him because:
1) He's done this role before.
2) He's had plenty of experience with their studio or a studio they know, severely speeding up the contract negotiations
3) He knows the process well, which makes the studio's job easier
4) They know his schedule, so they can get more time with him for better quality and/or fixes.

Now, COULD they get a different person to voice this suave guy on the anime/game? Probably. But how much more time would that add to what is already a severely limited schedule release date for the localization? Do they know if the new guy's schedule is full in the future in case they need him for fixes or future franchise releases? Can they rely on him in the future as a valuable early contact for future projects? Etc, etc.

As a summary, a lot of things are like this because the anime/game industry outside of triple-A games is still a shithole that is driven largely by passion because it is not remotely a decent wage until you hit big as a union person.

I agree with all of this and it's why I respect dubs, even the ones I don't like. You know I've encountered people online who use all you just said as "proof" that English dubs are always inferior to the Japanese track? Their argument being, in brief, "Japan actually respects their voice-actors and thus their talent pool isn't just the same ten schmucks working for peanuts."

Those ten schmucks working for peanuts are amazing and should be given all the respect in the world. Any jackass can waltz in and say "yeah, I'll do that!" when offered a cushy well-paying job. But it takes someone who actually cares, who loves what they do, do walk in and say "yeah, I'll gladly work for those peanuts. I have to make it quick though because I have a job right after this where I get more peanuts."

I listened to a podcast by one of the voice-actors from Canada's The Ocean Group and he has interviews with his fellow VAs and I think one of the saddest things was how David Kaye had to pick up and move his family to LA because that was the only place he could make some real money.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dubs are bad because there's no way reason you should change the language of the original work.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

CuddlyZombie posted:

No, no, no, it's Rap de Chocobo!

Rap!!

I could listen to the choco music all day, but this da best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KFKyVnxTq8

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Type-0 in a nutshell, "This Sucks".

I quite like 10m after that boss because what they said was so true. Does the steam copy come with a FF15 demo? Ill totally buy type-0 again just for a demo.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Tenzarin posted:

Type-0 in a nutshell, "This Sucks".

I quite like 10m after that boss because what they said was so true. Does the steam copy come with a FF15 demo? Ill totally buy type-0 again just for a demo.

Of course it doesn't. Better spend that money on FFXIV.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Whizbang posted:

I immediately imagined this to the tune of crazy chocobo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

In Training posted:

Dubs are bad because there's no way reason you should change the language of the original work.
several dubs are good, actually

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

not to mention i can think of several good reasons for dubbing something

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Endorph posted:

not to mention i can think of several good reasons for dubbing something

What benefit is there that subtitles can't provide

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

same but ironically

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

In Training posted:

I don't see why subtitles are supposed to have some inherent value either, especially since you can't actually understand what's being said anyway. If you wanted to preserve the original meaning you would have to actually know Japanese, which is obviously not the case if you're using subtitles.

mycot fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 20, 2015

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

In Training posted:

What benefit is there to keeping the original language if you can't understand it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

I was surprised they didn't redo the VA for the FFX/X-2 remakes. In particular the X dialog is so bizarre. It's weirdly paced even disregarding lip flaps. Yuna is constantly blurting "yes" as fast as humanly possible for no apparent reason.