Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Baalfrog posted:

So apparently I got myself an albino bear from one of my warriors during the nerg (basically the great hunt of the mongols, if I am not mistaken). Then this popped up, it gives 200 prestige too.
This is amazing. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

So how much fun have people been having playing nomads? Haven't picked up Horse Lords yet.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rejected Fate posted:

So how much fun have people been having playing nomads? Haven't picked up Horse Lords yet.

They're fun until you get huge swathes of feudal territory and are having to individually hit 'pillage' on like 50 holdings, while the button that switches your government type and settles you into feudal is right above the pillage one. Also the notification that pops up for pillaging also includes settling so lol.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Baalfrog posted:

So apparently I got myself an albino bear from one of my warriors during the nerg (basically the great hunt of the mongols, if I am not mistaken). Then this popped up, it gives 200 prestige too.

Seven hundred years later that bear will be a wise cracking sidekick in a CGI children's movie, and will teach Genghis Khan about the true meaning of friendship.

Baalfrog
Nov 14, 2012

Thats pretty neat.

Rejected Fate posted:

It is quite fun, although after 100 years or so you probably have conquered all the steppe provinces (or if you play mongols, probably in 50 years) then you run into the problem of what to conquer next, all other government types give you the wrong government type penalty and probably cultures won't match, and neither do religions, so holding feodal vassals gets really annoying.

Fintilgin posted:

Seven hundred years later that bear will be a wise cracking sidekick in a CGI children's movie, and will teach Genghis Khan about the true meaning of friendship.

I had to release him, the bear stopped eating and I didn't want the cruel trait. After that though I changed to hunting lifestyle and the thing that mongols want to hunt, the fabled white bear. So I guess the khan is a dick or something...

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

What do you do if you are a Reformed Germanic Norse ruler and a landless pope declares a crusade on you? I have no way to take Pope rear end in a top hat's holdings and end this thing.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Black Dynamite posted:

What do you do if you are a Reformed Germanic Norse ruler and a landless pope declares a crusade on you? I have no way to take Pope rear end in a top hat's holdings and end this thing.

The landless Pope should accept white peace right away, unless he somehow has troops (I've seen a landless Pope spawn 54 soldiers in my fully owned Rome). Kill his troops and he'll white peace.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
The thought of it is amusing. The Pope is basically a beggar on the streets of Rome, and he manages to rouse a small rabble to go around and cause a ruckus. :allears:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

You say that like CGI would still be invented within 700 years of a player-controlled Mongol Empire. :v:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I think I'm starting to get the hang of political marriage, but just to be sure, let me pose a scenario:

In After the End, I'm currently Queen of Socal and The Valley, with all the land required to (re-)form Gran Francisco and Sacramento (King of GF went Atomicist and unseated the Emperor, then got three holy wars declared on him by myself and my vassals). Baja and Jefferson (And Death Valley, but screw them) stand in the way of my reforming the grand empire. I figure I can nibble away at Baja, but I seem to have a chance to get Jefferson in one fell swoop. The king's heir is an unwed girl, and my heir happens to be an unwed male (And also 9 years old). If I betroth them, am I correct in assuming any children of the union will have claims on Jefferson, even if the king later has a male heir? And in the event any further heirs meet unfortunate accidents :ese:, the hypothetical child will stand next in line for the throne of all three kingdoms?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Dareon posted:

I think I'm starting to get the hang of political marriage, but just to be sure, let me pose a scenario:

(...)

The king's heir is an unwed girl, and my heir happens to be an unwed male (And also 9 years old). If I betroth them, am I correct in assuming any children of the union will have claims on Jefferson, even if the king later has a male heir? And in the event any further heirs meet unfortunate accidents :ese:, the hypothetical child will stand next in line for the throne of all three kingdoms?

IF the king dies before the girl does, the girl will get an inheritable claim (whether it's strong or weak depends on how many heirs are in line before her - if there are too many she won't be counted as a "pretender" and will only get a weak claim), and any children she and your heir have will inherit a claim on Jefferson from her when she dies.

If the girl dies before the king does, you're SOL regarding claims but any children you got out of her first will still be considered for succession according to Jefferson's succession law. If the king of Jefferson doesn't have any other kids, they'll probably inherit when he dies. If he has one or two other kids, one of your heir's kids may get a claim as a pretender when he dies. If he has enough other kids that come ahead of your candidates in line you're out of luck as I understand it.

Otherwise you're correct.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 19, 2015

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

Vodos posted:

The landless Pope should accept white peace right away, unless he somehow has troops (I've seen a landless Pope spawn 54 soldiers in my fully owned Rome). Kill his troops and he'll white peace.

I took out all his troops, including the Knights Templar and their buddies. War score remains 0. Pope issued the following statement: "It's just a flesh wound!"

Is there a way to like, delete the Pope? I can't do poo poo because this war won't go away.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Black Dynamite posted:

I took out all his troops, including the Knights Templar and their buddies. War score remains 0. Pope issued the following statement: "It's just a flesh wound!"

Is there a way to like, delete the Pope? I can't do poo poo because this war won't go away.

If you are willing to use the console, use the imprison command.

quote:

imprison 123456

where you have to replace 123456 by the character-ID of the pope.

And a lot of game maintenance events go to the pope since he's basically guaranteed to always be there. If you do manage to erase the pope, it fucks up your game.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

DStecks posted:

You say that like CGI would still be invented within 700 years of a player-controlled Mongol Empire. :v:

Invented by the Sunset Invasion Aztecs, obviously. Duh.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Fintilgin posted:

Speaking of, as of horse lords, are the Aztecs nomadic or feudal?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Black Dynamite posted:

Yeah, I understand why they made it so that landless Popes could call Crusades, but it's pretty hosed up right now. I'd rather they just go back to making unlanded religious leaders be unable to call crusades, but then add an event like the holy orders get, where if the religious head is unlanded you can let him build a temple in your land.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Strudel Man posted:

They didn't change

Baalfrog
Nov 14, 2012

Thats pretty neat.

Strudel Man posted:

Wouldn't make much sense to make them nomads, considering the Aztecs lived in cities and stuff. But them invading europe also doesn't make sense, so yeah...

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I just started playing this again after a long time away, and I'm getting a bug where ghost armies endlessly patrol my realm. I think they're maybe my vassals' armies that were never demobilized from past conflicts, but they have all of 1-50 troops in them, and they just march back and forth across the same three provinces (albeit different patrols for each). If this were happening elsewhere in the game world, it might explain why the game is running so slowly after only fifty years. I'm patched up to date. Has anyone else gotten this?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Jack of Hearts posted:

... ghost armies endlessly patrol my realm.

That sounds pretty metal.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Jack of Hearts posted:

I just started playing this again after a long time away, and I'm getting a bug where ghost armies endlessly patrol my realm. I think they're maybe my vassals' armies that were never demobilized from past conflicts, but they have all of 1-50 troops in them, and they just march back and forth across the same three provinces (albeit different patrols for each).

Are you sure it isn't your vassals' retinues? I don't recall there being a new demobilisation bug but those troop numbers sound about right for rebuilding retinues.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Dallan Invictus posted:

Are you sure it isn't your vassals' retinues? I don't recall there being a new demobilisation bug but those troop numbers sound about right for rebuilding retinues.

I'm pretty sure; only one of my vassals has a retinue, and it wasn't his. One of them attrited itself down to a single man while wandering endlessly to and fro -- I feel bad for the last guy, doomed to patrol Sicily forever.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

Touche.

Baalfrog posted:

Wouldn't make much sense to make them nomads, considering the Aztecs lived in cities and stuff. But them invading europe also doesn't make sense, so yeah...

Isn't the whole conceit of Sunset Invasion that for some reason the Aztecs are as or more technologically advanced than Europe, which is why they show up in Europe at all? So it would only make sense for them to be feudal, because otherwise they'd still be in Mexico.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Baalfrog posted:

Yeah, I was mostly wondering because all the other horde invasions are now nomadic.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

DStecks posted:

Isn't the whole conceit of Sunset Invasion that for some reason the Aztecs are as or more technologically advanced than Europe, which is why they show up in Europe at all? So it would only make sense for them to be feudal, because otherwise they'd still be in Mexico.

The conceit is that they captured and reverse-engineered the Viking ships that went over there.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Bloodly posted:

The conceit is that they captured and reverse-engineered the Viking ships that went over there.

But they were also more technologically advanced, as they were far larger and more powerful than normal Aztecs, and were even fighting the Incas who had guns.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
I'm sure if someone tried, they could come up with a butterfly effect chain of events where a technological revolution was kicked off by the viking boats. IIRC the Aztecs didn't use iron, so a captured sword or axe or just the nails from the boat could cause the Aztecs to realize that there's better metals than bronze out there.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

Sky Shadowing posted:

But they were also more technologically advanced, as they were far larger and more powerful than normal Aztecs, and were even fighting the Incas who had guns.

I thought the implication with the Incas having guns was that the Chinese introduced them, what with them having gunpowder in real life.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Is it possible for honorary titles to append titles to names like landed ones do? Because I'm mulling over ideas for making a mod for knight characters, and I'd like to be able to add "Sir" to the front of names. :shobon:

EDIT: Also I think I have a new favourite character I've encountered in CKII:

DStecks fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Aug 20, 2015

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

DStecks posted:

Is it possible for honorary titles to append titles to names like landed ones do? Because I'm mulling over ideas for making a mod for knight characters, and I'd like to be able to add "Sir" to the front of names. :shobon:

If you JUST want to add a title to their name without having the orphaned "Ser" down with their landed titles like Game of Thrones, you don't need an honorary title, you can do it with event script by putting "set_special_character_title = <whatever localisation key>" in an event or decision.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I picked this up again after about a year, with the intent of playing Horse Lords. Doing an Ireland run atm to get myself reacclimated, and I seem to have run into a problem with betrothals. My daughters are still getting shipped off no problem, but whenever my sons and their fiancees come of age, I have to manually break the betrothal then arrange the marriage, taking a pretty large opinion hit in the process. I am running the Crusader Queens mod, mainly to give the women in my court something to do... could that be the problem or is this a known thing? Is there any way of getting around it?

Goddamn, I forgot what a massive time sink this game is. And how much I love it.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Dallan Invictus posted:

If you JUST want to add a title to their name without having the orphaned "Ser" down with their landed titles like Game of Thrones, you don't need an honorary title, you can do it with event script by putting "set_special_character_title = <whatever localisation key>" in an event or decision.

Oh cool! Thanks! Doing it that way also makes it much easier to control, for how I want to handle it.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I did a thing and I'm not sure what it was but it did a thing.

sand and sea have declared their independence from papistry.

It's far from the end of the world but it's aesthetically unappealing, does anyone know what I did and how to fix it? (I mess with the console and saved games a lot, but I've scoured my console log and checked past saves and I don't see anything in particular that stands out.)

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

CK2+ was updated and went ahead and threw Silk Road style trade routes all over the map. How much of a slowdown does that cause? It definitely feels like I'm slowing down much earlier than vanilla. I mean, do the vikings really need more incentives and rewards for raiding.

Oh, and if any AtE devs see this, what caused the change in Baja California's religion? I think the move to Cetic was definitely a good one and has made for a really fun game so far as a sort of 'outsider' Californian kingdom.

LaSalsaVerde fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 22, 2015

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

LaSalsaVerde posted:

CK2 was updated and went ahead and threw Silk Road style trade routes all over the map. How much of a slowdown does that cause? It definitely feels like I'm slowing down much earlier than vanilla. I mean, do the vikings really need more incentives and rewards for raiding.

In our testing they made a negligible speed difference (otherwise we would have toned the idea down more), which is weird because Trade++ guy and conventional wisdom say they do (that said, we only added trade routes and a couple of buildings, unlike Trade++ which added events and a bit more ambitious stuff).

But since none of us modders have profiling tools it's difficult to say.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 22, 2015

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dallan Invictus posted:

In our testing they made a negligible speed difference (otherwise we would have toned the idea down more), which is weird because Trade++ guy and conventional wisdom say they do (that said, we only added trade routes and a couple of buildings, unlike Trade++ which added events and a bit more ambitious stuff).

But since none of us modders have profiling tools it's difficult to say.

Is that a subtle hint for the Paradox devs that read this thread?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I was wondering if you fine goons had any advice for me! I want to do a CK2 -> EU4 playthrough using the converter. I know that ck2 gets slow as the centuries tick by, so I was wondering if anyone has any later era bookmarks they enjoy using? I'm looking for a point in time where I can stir up history without having to worry about super long auto-saves from ironman mode. I've only ever really Started playing the game in William the Conquer or Old Gods start so I am lacking for good ideas!

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I like 1205 as a later start date, personally. The Byzantines are an utter wreck thanks to some crusaders, the Kingdom of Jerusalem still barely exists and will need some help if it's to survive, some German knights have started causing trouble up in the Baltics, and, to the west, the foundations for the Hundred Years' War have been laid.

It's fun times in Europe.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Torrannor posted:

Is that a subtle hint for the Paradox devs that read this thread?
Groogy already looked into it and said trade routes are miniscule compared to everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

EccoRaven posted:

sand and sea have declared their independence from papistry
It's far from the end of the world but it's aesthetically unappealing,

What, would you prefer the seas be unorthodox or something? :colbert:

• Locked thread