Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Holyshoot posted:

What tanks do you run with?

Drk/War

Fishious posted:

Ok? I just said it's doable and outlined the weaknesses as someone with experience with both. A good player can do lots of things, it doesn't say much about the job in a vacuum.

A lot of people parrot the whole "Ast isn't good" when it is far from the truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daniel
Jan 30, 2004

Dignified.
It is true actually. I don't think anything is impossible with an AST but it is definitely more restrictive and would slow progress unnecessarily to have one right now. That's why very few of the most progressed groups are using one, even though they have adopted DRKs and MCHs. It's also why SE have confirmed they will be buffing the class in the future. AST isn't good right now. It's serviceable.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Mr. Nice! posted:

A lot of people parrot the whole "Ast isn't good" when it is far from the truth.

True enough that they're planning to patch it though.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Alexander boss theme lyric video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7LiDzSBvaM

in case you were wondering why you couldn't figure out the lyrics, it's because it's goblinspeak

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The lyrics are better than anything I could have hoped for.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

it's time to visit the eighteenth floor

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/2015/The_Rising/

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

in case you were wondering why you couldn't figure out the lyrics, it's because it's goblinspeak

I'll never stop hearing it now, dear god.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Drk/War

So you tank with the top two dps tanks that are making up for lack of dps output from the ast. Try it with a pld/drk combo and I bet it gets a fair bit harder.

Ast can work just like I can play an mmo clicking my skills but it's better if I keybind them and running whm/sch is better as well currently.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

We originally ran with WHM/SCH but the utility from AST is just too drat good. We have higher DPS with AST and no problems at all with healing. Our AST is solo healing quite a bit while the SCH throws up DPS.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

We originally ran with WHM/SCH but the utility from AST is just too drat good. We have higher DPS with AST and no problems at all with healing. Our AST is solo healing quite a bit while the SCH throws up DPS.
I look forward to reports on your ASTs mana from all the AOE healing in A3S

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

The Final Fantasy Portal app was just released in North America. You get a free copy of FFI with it and the Triple Triad app. The promised FFXIV integration doesn't seem to be present, but perhaps they will add it later.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

Smashing our faces against A1S has made the normal Alex theme a little old. I guess I'll be playing this instead.

Is it Koji singing again?

Nice to have the proper lyrics. Some of these are really great... "A nearsoon firebloom crimson FOOM!"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

:perfect:

Well I guess it could have had some sort of cheese discussion...

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Rei_ posted:

I mean Paladins got issues, outside of fight design.

Absolutely. It's not just a matter of their new skills (minus the DPS stuff) being clunky or hard to use, or fights favoring Magic-based tankbusters, but a matter of them simply not excelling in any area. They're the worst job in the game at AoE DPS, lag behind both WAR and DRK for single-target DPS, have some very minor utility boosts to the party (which gradually become devalued as your party learns the fight more and needs less and less room for error), and are no longer even that exceptional in terms of defense. Give me DA Dark Mind or Inner Beast for eating a tankbuster any day of the week, frankly, because it means I can put my other defensive cooldowns to general-purpose use instead of sitting on them like an egg waiting to hatch. They've got a bunch of skills that are either dead weight or extremely niche (Cover, Clemency, Shield Swipe, Shield Bash, Tempered Will) and the hands-down clunkiest stance swapping out of the three tanks tied on to all this, too. Like, I'm fine with them not being the #1 best DPS tank, but that DPS loss needs to have some kind of significant compensation to make PLDs useful on the whole, and it just ain't there right now.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Niton posted:

Divine Veil is also weird as gently caress when you're offtanking, since it requires someone to notice and actually heal you.

Paladin just needs a light threat pass and some kind of AoE damage. The rest is clunky, but it doesn't actually make me not want to play the class like the lack of AoE damage in 4-mans.

Yeah, for all the complaints about PLD, it really just boils down to needing some slight tweaks to our threat generation and needing a bit more in the ways of AoE.

I mainly use Divine Veil during boss fights where a raid wide damage is coming and the group usually gathers up. This works 9/10 times since the healer is almost always going to pump out an AoE heal here. I would love to see Clemency's cast time reduced, and make it trigger Divine Veil.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

These are actually pretty close to what I thought I heard in the no-music version that was posted on reddit a while back. But even better.

Daniel
Jan 30, 2004

Dignified.

ilifinicus posted:

I look forward to reports on your ASTs mana from all the AOE healing in A3S

I've heard it's alright as long as you roll one or two ewers over the course of the fight. Although I heard this a couple weeks ago, and you can be wearing a LOT more piety right now than you could even only 2 weeks ago. I don't know how badly AST would struggle, it's probably alright.
From my own experiments with AST, the weaker aoe healing and generally lower healing potencies often meant pulling the scholar into doing some actual healing, which you never really want if you can help it.
The lightspeed buff will have really helped them, but the class still wants at least some kind of healing steroid. Consistent card draws would be great too ty

Meanwhile WHM is simply very strong while also very consistent. The only issue with WHM is how many of your dps abilities can miss.
It's not all doom and gloom, one more decent round of tweaks and it could be very viable or even OP

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
finally found the merchant selling end-game gatherer gear. looking forward to collecting literally 15,000 blue scrips to earn the right to gather certain fish

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Blockhouse posted:

the music in this game is so goddamn good

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I wish PLDs could cross class unleash. Or, maybe make flash an oGCD ability with a short cool down.

Give them a Legend of Zelda spin attack that does an AoE threat. I know circle of scorn does this but they really do need more AoE attacks because drat.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

seiferguy posted:

I wish PLDs could cross class unleash. Or, maybe make flash an oGCD ability with a short cool down.

Give them a Legend of Zelda spin attack that does an AoE threat. I know circle of scorn does this but they really do need more AoE attacks because drat.

Give them the moogle paladin shield bash.

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy
Is PBC still growing those chocobo onions?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
You know how job crystals change summon skills for sch/smn?

Make PLD the same, but flash does HOLY RIGHTEOUS type damage or something.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

Give them the moogle paladin shield bash.

Make shield swipe a cleave

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Daniel posted:

I've heard it's alright as long as you roll one or two ewers over the course of the fight. Although I heard this a couple weeks ago, and you can be wearing a LOT more piety right now than you could even only 2 weeks ago. I don't know how badly AST would struggle, it's probably alright.
From my own experiments with AST, the weaker aoe healing and generally lower healing potencies often meant pulling the scholar into doing some actual healing, which you never really want if you can help it.
The lightspeed buff will have really helped them, but the class still wants at least some kind of healing steroid. Consistent card draws would be great too ty

Meanwhile WHM is simply very strong while also very consistent. The only issue with WHM is how many of your dps abilities can miss.
It's not all doom and gloom, one more decent round of tweaks and it could be very viable or even OP
It just sounds like too much compensating from the other 7 people just to bring a sub-par and unreliable job when you could have an almost full time DPSing SCH with Selene. There's already enough RNG in Savage that you don't really want an AST to add even more of it

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

The price on them cratered, just hit up the MB.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
It'd be nice if reshuffle didn't give you the same loving card 50% of the time.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Finally diagnosed a problem I'd been having with taking screenshots, posting the solution in case anyone else had the same issue, because the default error message of "Screenshot Failed" is ambiguous and doesn't help diagnose poo poo.

Turns out the default storage location for screenshots does not dynamically update when you migrate your config files from one computer to another. So if you've upgraded from an older version of Windows and your username is different, and migrated your config files so you wouldn't have to rebind everything and re-do your UI, it may be prudent to double-check System -> System Configuration -> Other Settings -> Screenshot Folder and make sure that it points at a valid folder.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 20, 2015

Burger McAngus
May 24, 2010

So currently my monk has the esoterics weapon, chest, and ring and alex normal gear in the rest of the slots. Is there an optimal order to buy the other esoterics gear in, or am I fine with any order?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Do whatever looks the cutest.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

The garden is largely open at the moment because it wasn't reasonable to expect one person to manage it forever in perpetuity so its now a community garden without any stoners to plant weed in.

If someone wants to plant feel free

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power
My ACES member is compleete

KoB
May 1, 2009

Truga posted:

You know how job crystals change summon skills for sch/smn?

Make PLD the same, but flash does HOLY RIGHTEOUS type damage or something.

They should remove flash, make Scorn + increased enmity the new flash, give them a new AOE at 50.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

I love the "purr" in the middle of the onomatopoeia.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ilifinicus posted:

It just sounds like too much compensating from the other 7 people just to bring a sub-par and unreliable job when you could have an almost full time DPSing SCH with Selene. There's already enough RNG in Savage that you don't really want an AST to add even more of it

Scholar/AST man. It works very well.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Blockhouse posted:

I honestly didn't think they could top themselves with music after Bugdad's song, but here we are.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

ilifinicus posted:

Is the idea of "almost full time DPSing SCH" here meant to imply you only need one healer for some encounter or another, or is Selene/Eos carring the load, or what? Embrace seems way too paltry.

(edit) Or is Always Be Lustrating, Never Drop Cleric Stance still the thing here

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Nah, Lustrate is unusable in Cleric Stance now. Or rather, you'll only be healing the dude for 700hp if you do it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ciaphas posted:

Is the idea of "almost full time DPSing SCH" here meant to imply you only need one healer for some encounter or another, or is Selene/Eos carring the load, or what? Embrace seems way too paltry.

(edit) Or is Always Be Lustrating, Never Drop Cleric Stance still the thing here

You can't do the lustrate from CS anymore because it's a 600 potency heal not 25% of health.

Also there are a lot of spots where our AST can solo heal and the SCH does nothing be DPS all throughout savage alex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Blockhouse posted:

So Manipulator isn't just a jukebox that plays POWERMAN 5000 songs, it's a jukebox that plays POWERGOB 5000 songs.

How is this game's music so good

• Locked thread