Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VStraken
Oct 27, 2013

EvanSchenck posted:

I'm playing through Oblivion Lost 3.0, and I'm still early on but I've already run into something I'm slightly dubious about. The little gatehouse where you move from Cordon to Garbage seems to spawn an infinite stream of military squads. As in, a new one pops by 30 seconds after you kill the previous one. Due to a small amount of quest backtracking for Sidorovich, the courtyard is full of about 30 corpses with tricked-out 100% condition AN-94s and other nice gear I can't even begin to haul away. If this is working as designed, it's an interesting choice.

I recall from previous versions that the spawning timers can get broken and churn out NPCs as quick as they can. One of my playthroughs, there was just this endless army of bandits pouring out of Dark Valley towards the Bar. It may require reloading from a previous save to fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VStraken
Oct 27, 2013
Sorry for the doublepost

v1ld posted:

Ddraig & Swartzy: would you consider including the "item usage takes time" feature from Smurth's HUD Reworked mod in Radium? Maybe as an optional drop-in? Having to think about when it's safe to use a bandage or medkit made AA2 more challenging in interesting ways. The mod contains a lot of other neat features, all of which seem to have made it into AA2. The helmet/breathing effects in AA2 were very well done too and seem to have come from here. Here's the mod's README file. I've uploaded the mod itself if you're interested in taking a look.

Edit: jketinyu is credited and that's Swartz, right? Full circle.

I've uploaded DMX 1.3.2 with the dkz02 tweaks to moddb - it's a very good People Soup variant. Ddraig's got a nice write up on why DMX is great on the last page. This is a patched and ready to install version of the core mod, with a bunch of optionals in a separate Optional folder. Details at the link.

Wow, so they didn't use the source? Then maybe there's hope that OpenXray could be modified to use their external code - that is, their code won't be locked inside xrGame or some similar dll.

As a person who has not played DMX/related mods (The only mod for SHOC I've played is the previous version of OL), is there a significant difference between 1.3.2 and 1.3.5?

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Freakin' finally, a feature I think we can all get behind. I hope all the guns and things have tiny little screws you need to insert with a tiny little screwdriver via a minigame and heaven help you if you drop one on the ground.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Can't wait to be able to switch out the orifices on Degtaryev's FleshLight

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Nothing would immerse me more than staring at a menu for even loving longer than you already have to.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

God drat it what are they doing.

quote:

• 
Massive tweak of new ways to use items found ingame
. Some items can be sharpened now (shovels, swiss army knife, cutlery, grooming kit)

- Mutants can be looted only with use of sharp objects: knives, sharpened items or "Hunting Kit"

• Added quick-sharpening, with added possibility to use two separate one-usage-left sharpening stones to sharpen a shovel (shovels need two stones usages)

• Food cans have to be opened with a sharp object (knives, sharpened items, etc)

• Everyday items can now be sharpened and used to assist in getting more out of every item you find.

• A specialized Hunters Kit can be used to get the maximum amount of loot from Mutants. Yes, it’s now a viable source of income.

• Other makeshift items can also be used when sharpened and degrade with use.

• You can now salvage (with the appropriate tools) useable items from broken radios, Geiger counters, etc. reducing the weight of your loot and freeing up resources while in the field or camp.

• The more suitable a tool is for use the greater the benefit earned when salvaging items.

• Specialized salvage toolkits enable maximum recovery just like the Hunters Kit.

I can't wait to look at some tiny icons in the menu for hours so I can sharpen a loving shovel. Nothing says immersion like squinting at a billion .pngs in a menu.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

v1ld posted:

New gunslinger video with gunplay https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyTUNn3u1E8. The attention to detail is neat. I like the animation-driven healing a lot, too.

It's a pity they didn't do all this in OpenXray.

Someday this will get released. Maybe when HL3 comes out.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

VStraken posted:

I recall from previous versions that the spawning timers can get broken and churn out NPCs as quick as they can. One of my playthroughs, there was just this endless army of bandits pouring out of Dark Valley towards the Bar. It may require reloading from a previous save to fix.

ah-hah, ok. I was hoping it was a bug, thanks.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.
is misery trying to become a weirdo singleplayer DayZ mod on the xray engine or something

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

finally, the Sharpening is upon us!

quote:

• Reduced bread cost by 1,000 RU

Communism wins!!!!!

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 20, 2015

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I like to think I'm a pretty open-minded person, but who the gently caress actually enjoys doing most of the things Misery has in it now? Like, I get that it's called Misery and all, but good lord how much more granular do they want to get with the exciting tasks of breaking a radio apart or sharpening a shovel?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I can't wait to look at some tiny icons in the menu for hours so I can sharpen a loving shovel. Nothing says immersion like squinting at a billion .pngs in a menu.

Hahahah Jesus Christ

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Saint Sputnik posted:

Freakin' finally, a feature I think we can all get behind. I hope all the guns and things have tiny little screws you need to insert with a tiny little screwdriver via a minigame and heaven help you if you drop one on the ground.

I hope we also get Cooking Mama-esque minigames for improving food.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

EvanSchenck posted:

I'm playing through Oblivion Lost 3.0, and I'm still early on but I've already run into something I'm slightly dubious about. The little gatehouse where you move from Cordon to Garbage seems to spawn an infinite stream of military squads. As in, a new one pops by 30 seconds after you kill the previous one. Due to a small amount of quest backtracking for Sidorovich, the courtyard is full of about 30 corpses with tricked-out 100% condition AN-94s and other nice gear I can't even begin to haul away. If this is working as designed, it's an interesting choice.

The corpses don't despawn for some reason, and stalkers from the farm will head north, and squads of army will come south to reinforce, so you end up with the A-life system setting up some hilarious mongols storm the gates level bloodbaths. I made 4 trips and ended up with a corpse pile 4 bodies deep to the left of the BMP they have parked there.

And holy gently caress the postgame content has a fuckload of walking in it. Like you have no god damned idea. And loving exoskeletons don't have sprint enabled.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

what the heck are you going to use a sharpened shovel for?

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Misery patchnotes

They've literally outpaced all but the 1% most severe cases of Asperger's. If they keep this up, Misery will become too :spergin: for anyone but the dev team.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Roobanguy posted:

what the heck are you going to use a sharpened shovel for?

Cutting wood to create a fire to harden your shovel to dig out clay to make a furnace to temper your shovel so you get 5% more chopping damage on the melee weapon.

I think they're trying to make Misery a true to live russian shithole simulator. All of the tedium, only instead of real booze and additas, it's virtual booze, guns and mutants.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Please tell me they will also include a magazine reloading minigame or menu, complete with animations for loading each bullet *click* push bullet *click* push bullet :allears:

Also, didn't didn't you work on a making GBS threads animation at one point for MISERY as a joke?

Missing Name fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Aug 20, 2015

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Missing Name posted:

Please tell me they will also include a magazine reloading minigame or menu, complete with animations for loading each bullet :allears:

ZoA had that and its completely terrible.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
That sounds too simple for Misery. Instead you gotta go down to the river to get some Mud with your Sharpened Shovel of Fortitude +5 and then use the Mud in the Slightly Used Mortar And Pestle to create a Natural Powder which you then combine with some Water and Mutant Blood that you scavenged with your Sharpened Knife and then you mix all that and create a Bullet Grease which you then apply to individual bullets with your Fresh Handkerchief to give them all 3% more damage.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Congratulations. I am miserable.

VStraken
Oct 27, 2013
v1id, I've been having with the DMX mod you uploaded. It crashes before it can get to the main menu. Did a copy and paste into notepad and got this, can you make anything of it?

Expression : fatal error
Function : CRender::texture_load
File : E:\stalker\sources\trunk\xr_3da\xrRender\Texture.cpp
Line : 295
Description : <no expression>
Arguments : Can't find texture 'intro\dream_the_past'

Akul
Aug 29, 2012
Would adding the "-nointro" launch option to the executable fix it, if it hangs on showing intros?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

VStraken posted:

As a person who has not played DMX/related mods (The only mod for SHOC I've played is the previous version of OL), is there a significant difference between 1.3.2 and 1.3.5?

I didn't spend much time with 1.3.5, so can't make much of a comparison, sorry. Dkz does have a better translation. The other big difference is that the 1.3.5 translation has a large number of mods merged in that may or may not be to your taste.

The Joint Paks are probably a better comparison if you're looking for an alternative, since they build upon DMX. They have a ton more content and the first one has an OK translation: NS Joint Pak PLO K MA. It's a great alternative to dkz02.

Someone has got the 2nd Joint Pak running on the OGSE 0.6.9.3 engine! I hope it or its successor gets a decent translation at some point.

VStraken posted:

Arguments : Can't find texture 'intro\dream_the_past'

Add -nointro as Akul suggests.

If the cave sequence at the start gets frustrating, some things to bear in mind:
- Pick up the contents of the backpack in front of you right away. Equip all the great gear in it and the artifacts. Then and only then pick up the artifact in front of you and equip it. (Artifacts irradiate you even when not worn, so don't carry them until you can counter radiation.)
- If the combat gets too frustrating, search YouTube for a way to get through with no combat at all. I can do this run like 4 of 5 times, it's not hard once you get the route down.
- if even that is frustrating, search for a post cave save, there are plenty around. I can make one if needed.

That bloody cave isn't indicative of what is to immediately follow, so don't be turned off by it.

Edit: did you install both parts? I had to break the mod into 2 due to moddb file size limits. The textures are in the second part.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Aug 20, 2015

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

v1ld posted:

Ddraig & Swartzy: would you consider including the "item usage takes time" feature from Smurth's HUD Reworked mod in Radium?

It turns out AA2 got the feature from a Russian mod named MEDICINE, downloadable from yadi.sk. It's a very small mod and simple to merge, so no need to have it in Radium proper.

I'm going to merge it into AMK:AE or have it as an optional install.

Radium continues to add cool stuff. Having CoC's AI and scripts is way cool. Having Radium running over the CoC maps would be super sweet.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I've just started doing some localization work for the [url=http://www.moddb.com/mods/in-spite-of-the-deathhttps://in guys, aka I'm really just editing translated xmls, and while I obviously don't know how it'll actually play, it sure is pretty looking. Tons of new maps, which is always a treat. The team's also working on SGM 3.0 as well as a smaller, standalone story called Chernobyl Chronicles (that's the one I'm doing now, actually) that's due to come out later this year. I dunno if this counts as self-promotion, but mostly I'm just happy to support modding in some small way. :downs:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
If I'm going to sharpen a shovel, I drat well be using it to thrust, slash at and decapitate mutants and people.

I've always wanted a mod that let's you lock on to enemies like a bloodsucker and use screwdrivers and poo poo to kill an enemy before they can kill you. But that's probably not what the Misery team has in mind seeing as how you can pick up crowbars, sledgehammers and what not but they're useless outside of a few percentage points in repairs.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Roobanguy posted:

ZoA had that and its completely terrible.

I remember this and yeah, it was clunky as poo poo. It wasn't explained properly in the instructions and unintuitive enough that I don't even remember how to activate any of the functions. But it did indeed play an animation for loading each individual round into a magazine that you had to let play out.

I actually don't mind mechanics like that when done properly (7.62 High Caliber has it), but that system was just too poorly made.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

I actually don't mind mechanics like that when done properly (7.62 High Caliber has it), but that system was just too poorly made.

Countered by 7.62 being clunky in general. A bit off topic, but did you play E5?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Missing Name posted:

Countered by 7.62 being clunky in general. A bit off topic, but did you play E5?

Yes, but not for long. It's incredible how unpolished it is.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Mordja posted:

I've just started doing some localization work for the In Spite of the Death guys, aka I'm really just editing translated xmls, and while I obviously don't know how it'll actually play, it sure is pretty looking.

That's very cool. There's a lot of seemingly high-quality Russian mods that will forever remain inaccessible to me if not for the efforts of folks like you. It's almost depressing to skim ap-pro or the amk website and know that I'll never play most of the vast array of mods there.

VStraken
Oct 27, 2013

quote:

Edit: did you install both parts? I had to break the mod into 2 due to moddb file size limits. The textures are in the second part.

Whoops. I definitely downloaded both parts but assumed they were two parts of the same archive file so I never bothered opening the second one. :shobon:

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
That DMX mod seems really out of my league. This first section after the Doctor is really unfun.

VStraken
Oct 27, 2013
EDIT: I'm an idiot. The below happened because I somehow forgot to replace fsgame.ltx with the one in the archive. Just in case anyone else encounters this, I'll leave this up so you can avoid it.

So, new problem for me, the menus/HUD seem to gently caress up during loading and playing, but the rest of the game appears to be fine when loading completes. Screens here: http://imgur.com/a/OTyK1

During loading, the loading screen "background" appears to be crunched up into the upper left quarter of the screen while the little "preview" picture of the map being loaded pops up in the center of screen as normal, the text at the bottom that tells you what process the game is doing (Client: Synchronizing, etc.) doesn't disappear as the next block of text gets loaded up so there's just a jumbled mess of letters overlaid on each other. The HUD ingame has all of the status icons visible, crammed up into the upper left hand corner of the screen, and overlaid on top of the minimap, making it impossible to see the minimap. I've also encountered a few transparent NPCS, they're invisible almost like how a bloodsucker turns invisible.

VStraken fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Aug 21, 2015

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Monolith. posted:

That DMX mod seems really out of my league. This first section after the Doctor is really unfun.

Googling leads me to a Steam thread where someone is given advice to "load that save before you talk to Fang so you only lose about 30 hours instead of the whole thing" and everyone agrees, that, yeah, that 30 hour redo is well worth the overall experience.

If that isn't the most Stalker.txt thing I've ever read.

And SGM 3.0 sounds amazing, especially if they go for just a bit more stability/polish than 2.7.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Monolith. posted:

The cave, you mean? Yeah. I've uploaded a save at the end of that whole sequence. Copy the 2 files named "cave end dkz02" to your savegames folder and then talk to the guy nearest to you when you load in to get back to Cordon where you can now talk to Sid. Be sure to inspect the new body by the underpass near the village with the jeep in it - that starts the main new quest chain.

I only opened 3 metal boxes on the way to the doctor, just enough to get some 9x18 and 12x70 ammo and a suppressor: box near roof of sawmill, on the roof of building next to sawmill, and in the railroad car by where you'll find Tolik.

Vorenus posted:

Googling leads me to a Steam thread where someone is given advice to "load that save before you talk to Fang so you only lose about 30 hours instead of the whole thing" and everyone agrees, that, yeah, that 30 hour redo is well worth the overall experience.

If that isn't the most Stalker.txt thing I've ever read.

Yeah. DMX seems to avoid some of the excesses of NS. This version has the unTERMINATEable mod in it so key NPCs can't commit suicide.

My first run with Joint Pak 1 had me just as tense about NPC suicide as the very real challenge in the mod itself. Wolf's "bring me my razor" quest has very good rewards but I really wished that I didn't do it for hours afterwards as I watched various NPCs go into the heart of izlom/bloodsucker/zombie territory to die. The quest is not in DMX.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

v1ld posted:

Ddraig & Swartzy: would you consider including the "item usage takes time" feature from Smurth's HUD Reworked mod in Radium? Maybe as an optional drop-in? Having to think about when it's safe to use a bandage or medkit made AA2 more challenging in interesting ways. The mod contains a lot of other neat features, all of which seem to have made it into AA2. The helmet/breathing effects in AA2 were very well done too and seem to have come from here. Here's the mod's README file. I've uploaded the mod itself if you're interested in taking a look.

Edit: jketinyu is credited and that's Swartz, right? Full circle.

Swartz has expressed desire for this, so it's probably likely we can do it.

For what it's worth it's very, very easy to add optional features to Radium, complete with fully functioning menu options.

Here's the current gameplay options menu, for example:

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

is misery trying to become a weirdo singleplayer DayZ mod on the xray engine or something

I'd say they wouldn't even like Day-Z for various reasons. It seems to me, from what I can gather, that the actual designer behind Misery (they do have one, despite evidence to the contrary) hates the idea of the Zone in every single way. I imagine if there was a way for them to get rid of all the fantastical elements from the game and just have it be a straight up inventory management game with occasional bouts of metallic rape coming your way they would do it in a heartbeat.

Missing Name posted:

Also, didn't didn't you work on a making GBS threads animation at one point for MISERY as a joke?

Animation is a bit too strong for what I did. I got frustrated that a lot of my fixes weren't included or were downright lied about (this still riles me, as to this day I still get messages on moddb as I was misrepresented).

Basically there's a series of scripts that adds various sound effects to eating food or whatever. I made an invisible item that the player would eat sometime after eating raw meat that would play a series of comical fart noises and agonized moans and cause the screen to shake and then you'd die. I figured dysentery was the next logical step.

I sent it to them but they never included it. I'm slightly disheartened that sharpening your knife is a good use of resources but making GBS threads yourself to death isn't.

Since this wasn't taken very seriously I included a serious means of ending your Misery that also wasn't included:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a8yxRVaDls

A cyanide pill incase you decide to end it all.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Aug 21, 2015

VStraken
Oct 27, 2013
Requoting my previous post because it happened again after restarting my game after finishing the caves section. I do happen to be playing this on a rather lovely laptop so I'm starting to think that it's just my lovely hardware but if anyone happens to know more about it, please do share your experiences and/or solution

VStraken posted:

EDIT: I'm an idiot. The below happened because I somehow forgot to replace fsgame.ltx with the one in the archive. Just in case anyone else encounters this, I'll leave this up so you can avoid it.

So, new problem for me, the menus/HUD seem to gently caress up during loading and playing, but the rest of the game appears to be fine when loading completes. Screens here: http://imgur.com/a/OTyK1

During loading, the loading screen "background" appears to be crunched up into the upper left quarter of the screen while the little "preview" picture of the map being loaded pops up in the center of screen as normal, the text at the bottom that tells you what process the game is doing (Client: Synchronizing, etc.) doesn't disappear as the next block of text gets loaded up so there's just a jumbled mess of letters overlaid on each other. The HUD ingame has all of the status icons visible, crammed up into the upper left hand corner of the screen, and overlaid on top of the minimap, making it impossible to see the minimap. I've also encountered a few transparent NPCS, they're invisible almost like how a bloodsucker turns invisible.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Ddraig posted:

Swartz has expressed desire for this, so it's probably likely we can do it.

For what it's worth it's very, very easy to add optional features to Radium, complete with fully functioning menu options.

Cool. Please use the Medicine RC mod as the base, not Smurth's Reworked HUD. I've merged it with AMK 1.4 AE and it turned out to be straightforward - null out the effect values in items.ltx so the mod can instead apply them over time, tweak the values in use_item.ltx to your satisfaction, and also hook into bind_stalker.

I've uploaded both the base mod and the merge with AMK to https://mega.nz/#F!O4Il3CrK!dlbCAF3NhgPKa-iNU5m_N - I used the AA2 version for the latter since it has better defaults and sounds than the base mod. It also has animation support added by Cromm Cruac, with the only current one being for when you inject antirads.

quote:

Here's the current gameplay options menu, for example:

Very cool! The heli sound option makes it sound, haha, like CoC is deeply embedded indeed.

VStraken posted:

Requoting my previous post because it happened again after restarting my game after finishing the caves section. I do happen to be playing this on a rather lovely laptop so I'm starting to think that it's just my lovely hardware but if anyone happens to know more about it, please do share your experiences and/or solution

I seriously doubt it's hardware. Looks like your menu is messed up - I see both old and new version in there. Could you please try reinstalling Optional/New Menu?

v1ld fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Aug 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VStraken
Oct 27, 2013
Gave it a shot, no luck. I'm going to try reinstalling the mod, and if that fails reinstalling the game.