Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

goatse guy posted:

Speaking of bicycles, I get a sick employee discount at my new job which includes 50% off bikes. I'm buying a mountain bike ASAP.

50%? I'm not jealous.

:cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Houston has recently come into a monsoon season. I had to drive 90 miles in it yesterday in the new subie. It didn't give a gently caress about rain :smuggo:

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Has anyone here ever worked for Aisin? Or Toyota motor manufacturing? I got a plant tour yesterday, and my wife has suggested I consider applying for an open position. My commute is currently 75 miles one way, this would cut it down to 15 miles, but I think the job would be more stressful. My job title would stay the same but pay would go up.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

10,000 kms this year on the bike already this year. Not bad

you are a loving animal, i have yet to pass 2k km this year. cant wait to test my new insoles today tho

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Looks like my '02 Golf's oil problems are far from fixed.

12 days ago:

Today:

No leaks or puddles on the floor of the garage, a lot of carbon build-up on the spark plugs. After I took em out I found enough oil on their threads to paint a fuckin picture. If I get that new job, I can bus in to work and finally rebuild this engine cuz the compression test checked out and the valve cover gasket is fine (even though that wasn't the problem in the first place). :mediocre:

In happier news,

Thanks, FedEx Santa! Hopefully these will solve my steering wheel jerks under acceleration :3:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Phone posted:

I need to get a carbon seat post. :(

Carbon seatpost is a must, but the biggest difference I've seen carbon parts make is in the handlebar. A good carbon handlebar dampens so much road vibration that it's worth every penny. Don't get cheap Chinese carbon, though, I had two bars break on my, luckily to no ill effect. Zipp and Fizik bars are on my bikes now and they are both great.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
One of my girlfriend's peers was all aluminum uber alles and was a smidge away from ignoring me saying "aluminum bikes are loving rough and new people are better serviced by a steel frame".

My Trek is an aluminum frame with a carbon fork and an aluminum seat post. :qq:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Phone posted:

One of my girlfriend's peers was all aluminum uber alles and was a smidge away from ignoring me saying "aluminum bikes are loving rough and new people are better serviced by a steel frame".

My Trek is an aluminum frame with a carbon fork and an aluminum seat post. :qq:
In order to really tell the difference between the two, you'd have to ride a steel frame every day for like 20 miles a day then switch to the aluminium. The difference is so damned slight for my money that I'd rather have a feather-weight bike.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Talked with a girl who lives down the hall from me this morning. She was coming home from her nightshift job and asked me what I do. After explaining it she said my job sounds terrible and she would never do that. Somebody who works a lovely night shift warehouse gig wouldn't want my job.

Then I came in this morning to find out my manager has instituted a new system for reassigning work. She's drawing names out of a hat. :smithicide:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I'm incredibly excited about the new Independent front-runner for 2016, a 15 year old boy from Iowa named "Deez Nuts".

He's polling at 9% in NC, 8% in Minnesota, and 7% in Iowa.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Adiabatic posted:

I'm incredibly excited about the new Independent front-runner for 2016, a 15 year old boy from Iowa named "Deez Nuts".

He's polling at 9% in NC, 8% in Minnesota, and 7% in Iowa.

Considering the options he's probably a better choice than the majority.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

rdb posted:

Has anyone here ever worked for Aisin? Or Toyota motor manufacturing? I got a plant tour yesterday, and my wife has suggested I consider applying for an open position. My commute is currently 75 miles one way, this would cut it down to 15 miles, but I think the job would be more stressful. My job title would stay the same but pay would go up.

No but I have literally never seen an Aisin product I didn't like (aside from the AX5/W and G series transmissions, which suffer more from being put behind a larger engine than they were really intended for.) I trust them implicitly to build a quality part.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

rdb posted:

I read that ones commute is a major factor in happiness and health. Anything over 30 mins is bad. Take that job.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

scuz posted:

In order to really tell the difference between the two, you'd have to ride a steel frame every day for like 20 miles a day then switch to the aluminium. The difference is so damned slight for my money that I'd rather have a feather-weight bike.

Go ride an aluminum bike with an aluminum seat post and get back to me. Also chromoly frames are now just as light as aluminum.

Every. Single. Road. Vibration.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Phone posted:

Go ride an aluminum bike with an aluminum seat post and get back to me.

Are you dissing my bike homey? What if I enjoy feeling every single bit of road surface fired directly up my ringpiece via the seatpost? :colbert:

But in all seriousness yeah, it's not fun on longer rides. I suppose the fact our roads are garbage makes up for it though, it's rarely a constant thing for too long.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Phone posted:

Go ride an aluminum bike with an aluminum seat post and get back to me. Also chromoly frames are now just as light as aluminum.

I had a chromoly commuter bicycle for half a summer and switched to my aluminium and, yeah, I could feel a bit of a difference, but I was happy enough about the weight. Full disclosure: the chromoly frame was a Schwinn from 1983 so it was pretty heavy.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
hey, I rode over 5.5 miles on my MTB to work today in an effort to not be a lazy fatass. Can I join the club!?!

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Breath Ray posted:

I read that ones commute is a major factor in happiness and health. Anything over 30 mins is bad. Take that job.

Seconding this, when I left my job as a field technician for FujiFilm that had me driving upwards of 1,000 miles per week my stress level ratcheted down several levels. I've had a one-way commute of 15 minutes or less for the past three years and will never return to driving that much on a daily basis if I can help it.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Geoj posted:

Seconding this, when I left my job as a field technician for FujiFilm that had me driving upwards of 1,000 miles per week my stress level ratcheted down several levels. I've had a one-way commute of 15 minutes or less for the past three years and will never return to driving that much on a daily basis if I can help it.
My commute is ~40 minutes on a good day through stop-and-go traffic and stop lights that make so sense. I'm looking for a new job even though nearly everything about this job is fine.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

One of my demands shopping for houses is a non-retarded commute.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

ssjonizuka posted:

hey, I rode over 5.5 miles on my MTB to work today in an effort to not be a lazy fatass. Can I join the club!?!

Yes as I'm doing similar since I exploded a spoke on my road bike wheelset. How much fun you having?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

ssjonizuka posted:

I started riding a few years ago +25 lbs from where I am now. Started with an MTB and rode the piss out of it. Worked up to a point where I was just staying in the highest gear all the time and took that as the indicator to change to a road bike. From there, it just goes on and on and on.

Just ride and keep riding.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

88h88 posted:

Yes as I'm doing similar since I exploded a spoke on my road bike wheelset. How much fun you having?

Between carrying 2 laptops, 2 ipads, lunch, change of clothes and a few other items - tired, even if the majority of it was downhill-ish - there were some areas I was really pushing myself to keep moving. Rear tire is a little low too, so it was a little squirrely on some corners.

Going home at least will be just a little over 3 miles (had to stop by the bank on my way in and took me a bit out of the way), but mostly uphill. So I've got that going for me.

meatpimp posted:

I started riding a few years ago +25 lbs from where I am now. Started with an MTB and rode the piss out of it. Worked up to a point where I was just staying in the highest gear all the time and took that as the indicator to change to a road bike. From there, it just goes on and on and on.

Just ride and keep riding.

Working on it. Hard to though, between kids and other commitments. And of course, winter is coming fast, so I'll lose that opportunity altogether. Do have a trainer though, so maybe I can just do that during some meetings or something when working from home. Also - with as little time as I spend on the bike, can't really justify a real road bike. so I just ordered a new set of tires and tubes (bike is an 06 and the tires are dry rotting) that should be a little better than what came on it for commuting (continental traffic), but still allow me to go hooning around with the (almost) 3 yo on his push bike.

I'm hoping between this and not eating like a teenager/someone on the road, I'll finally get back to <180 lbs.

Beverly Cleavage fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 20, 2015

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Ex is moving at the end of the month, and is in full-on conflict resolution mode trying to deny everything lovely she's done in the past month.

Move awayyyyyyyy vile womannnnnnn leave me be

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Breath Ray posted:

Now, who's been driving in France? Going down to a gite on the dordogne tomorrow au famille which promises to be good. Lot of toll roads so nice and quick and the money flies put of your account by magic.

UK goon here, the family takes the car over to Provence every year or so (so we can bring back lots of wine). I like driving in France. It's pretty sedate, lane discipline on the motorways is excellent, road surface is good, and they have sensible speed limits (130kph in the dry, 120 or 110kph in the wet). The best thing, however, is the aires. Large road-side pull-off stops, set back from the road and separated by trees, with toilets, benches, greenery, and generally lots of space. It's literally quiet enough to nap, and that's intentional.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Breath Ray posted:

Going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you're hazing me but if I wanted to read lazy misogyny I'd have stayed in pwm...

I was responding to your dumb joke with a dumb joke of my own. Calm down dude, no need to get all white knight SJW. The only battles we fight here are against rust*

*except 14 inch who is in an eternal struggle against a nameless horror from a place beyond the shadows for his own sexual gratification.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Jeherrin posted:

UK goon here, the family takes the car over to Provence every year or so (so we can bring back lots of wine). I like driving in France. It's pretty sedate, lane discipline on the motorways is excellent, road surface is good, and they have sensible speed limits (130kph in the dry, 120 or 110kph in the wet). The best thing, however, is the aires. Large road-side pull-off stops, set back from the road and separated by trees, with toilets, benches, greenery, and generally lots of space. It's literally quiet enough to nap, and that's intentional.

That's true, I'd forgotten about that - and with 11 hours to drive for, you'd think it would be a good idea. But instead we're going to take it on turns like that bit in dumb and dumber.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

ssjonizuka posted:

Working on it. Hard to though, between kids and other commitments. And of course, winter is coming fast, so I'll lose that opportunity altogether. Do have a trainer though, so maybe I can just do that during some meetings or something when working from home. Also - with as little time as I spend on the bike, can't really justify a real road bike. so I just ordered a new set of tires and tubes (bike is an 06 and the tires are dry rotting) that should be a little better than what came on it for commuting (continental traffic), but still allow me to go hooning around with the (almost) 3 yo on his push bike.

I'm hoping between this and not eating like a teenager/someone on the road, I'll finally get back to <180 lbs.

I understand that. Lived it, still living it. You have to make time. When I was working on dropping weight, I got a high-powered LED headlight and went out from 5:00AM until 6:00AM because that was the only time of the day I had open. I got out of that habit and it's tough to get it back once it slips.

Hybrid tires make a bid difference on MTBs from knobbies. Do it, use it. Road bikes are easy to find on craigslist at damned reasonable prices. Check out the YLLS bike threads and give your local craigslist and you'll get some recommendations. The nice thing about that is that you can make money on flipping bikes if you buy right. I've made several hundred + each on a dozen bikes and $800-1400 each on a handful. It's a cheap, easy mechanical hobby for when you don't have car space/time.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Seatpost chatte: I found that most of the road vibrations you feel are largely dependent on your wheels/tires. When I rode gatorskins on lovely mavic cxp22's the ride was harsh as gently caress, that's with carbon fork/seatpost. I changed to conti GP4000S on easton EA70's and it was like a whole different, much better riding bike.

I'll change the wheels around on bikes and find the lovely ride comes with the wheels and I can't even feel the difference in the frame. I'll put the oval concepts 978's (78mm carbon/alu clincher) with vredestein fortezza tricomps on my soul faith and the soul rides like poo poo. I put the eastons back on and it rides like a dream. Put the eastons on my all carbon fuji and it rides like a dream. Wheels/tires make such a huge difference in ride that I can't overstate it.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Adiabatic posted:

Ex is moving at the end of the month, and is in full-on conflict resolution mode trying to deny everything lovely she's done in the past month.

Move awayyyyyyyy vile womannnnnnn leave me be

Have you now learned your lesson?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Who was the AIer that put a 3800 SII into an old 60's Corolla? This was probably 4 or 5 years ago.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

MustardFacial posted:

Who was the AIer that put a 3800 SII into an old 60's Corolla? This was probably 4 or 5 years ago.

Fuzzkill. (70s, right?)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
3800s in ALL THE THINGS.

I love that engine for some retard reason, I don't know why.

I want to see a dirt every day special where they take two ford rangers or Toyota hiluxes or something and put a jeep 4.0 in one and a PS1-SII 3800 in the other and just drive the piss out of them trying to break them.

There used to be a youtube channel of a guy that had a farm/vehicle disposal compound, and he'd do poo poo like drive over a 3800 with a tractor while it was pegged, or drive around old Oldsmobiles with only the front tires. Can't remember what happened to him. A lot of videos were him starting cars underneath feet of snow in the winter.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 20, 2015

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Cyclechat: what are some good padded bike shorts?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Magnus Praeda posted:

Any are better than none. I've used a few different brands and they seem to be similar. I bought a couple pair of Louis Garneus and they've held up very well over 2 years of riding.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah it's a case of whatever fits you well. Shorts are like saddles, what's great for me might be complete poo poo to you due to being a different shape... Try on as many as possible.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Geirskogul posted:

There used to be a youtube channel of a guy that had a farm/vehicle disposal compound, and he'd do poo poo like drive over a 3800 with a tractor while it was pegged, or drive around old Oldsmobiles with only the front tires. Can't remember what happened to him. A lot of videos were him starting cars underneath feet of snow in the winter.

Are you thinking of davidsfarm? Because that guy turned out to be a pedophile and I think he's in jail now.

Raluek posted:

Fuzzkill. (70s, right?)
Thanks! I wanted to read the thread again for research purposes.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

MustardFacial posted:

Are you thinking of davidsfarm? Because that guy turned out to be a pedophile and I think he's in jail now.

Thanks! I wanted to read the thread again for research purposes.

He's also got a supercharged 6.0 chevy colorado and a rear-engined 3800 swapped (I think?) vw gti :q:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Magnus Praeda posted:

I'm partial to Capo bib shorts. Kinda pricey, but worth the money. At least they don't cost as much as Assos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

But it looks amazing. Ditch that dang Lambo and get the GT, it's only money :homebrew:

I plan to keep the Lambo for a long time. Prices are only going up for the 6-speeds. Only thing I'd sell/trade it for would be an LP640 6-speed but they are obscenely rare.

• Locked thread