Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
As an absolute last resort, he could just go back to written reviews, couldn't he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
New Cinnamon Snob: http://www.thecinemasnob.com/the-cinema-snob/a-ton-of-grass-goes-to-pot

Sweet.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

That is the best autocorrect ever.

I want to see Brad go review exclusively Cinnnamon products now.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
I just got back downloading and archiving a bunch of videos from Blip just before it shuts down for good, anyone else?

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

That is the best autocorrect ever.

I want to see Brad go review exclusively Cinnnamon products now.

Yes. Autocorrect. {shifty eyes}

Subtitle for this episode: "Fun in Balloon Land"

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Junior Jr. posted:

I just got back downloading and archiving a bunch of videos from Blip just before it shuts down for good, anyone else?

Me too. Farewell Blip, we had our difficulties with you, but you were the platform for some fond internet critic memories.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Mraagvpeine posted:

Me too. Farewell Blip, we had our difficulties with you, but you were the platform for some fond internet critic memories.

The only question is where the hell are we going to archive them, and we know YouTube's only going to get bitchy about it.

As far as I know, most reviewers are either re-uploading the previous videos themselves (only re-editing them to fit YouTube's policies) or being re-uploaded by their fans. I know the NC fanboys are already working on that if they haven't already.

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Aug 20, 2015

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Junior Jr. posted:

Same here. Not many, but there are some videos that are just too good to vanish into the digital ether.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Did anyone ever retrieve welshy's videos?

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

I hate to self-promote on this forum, but I just want to say that I'm very very proud of this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH-E3LsLnaw

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

Did anyone ever retrieve welshy's videos?

They're on YouTube after he was purged last year.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That's basically what this thread is for, Kyle.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Wow, its not everyday you see the stupidest thing you've ever seen in your life. loving nerds :cripes:.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Thunderfinger posted:

Wow, its not everyday you see the stupidest thing you've ever seen in your life. loving nerds :cripes:.

Yeah, I get the appeal, but if the conlang just isn't up for the job, the result probably wont be very satisfying. Translating in existing languages is hard enough as it is, and then also dealing with the fact that the entire available vocabulary is only 3000 words, probably forces you to take a lot of shortcuts.

Still, this promises to be an interesting series of videos.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Well, I decided to head back to Blip and save a couple of videos from Phelous. At first this seemed unnecessary because he was going to re-upload all of them on YouTube anyways, but then again they'll be re-cut so YouTube's copyright claim detector doesn't go crazy...even though it does on several occasions.

I don't know how long Blip is still staying online for but it's only a matter of time until it's gone, but downloading these reviews really took up my HDD space.

KKall posted:

I hate to self-promote on this forum, but I just want to say that I'm very very proud of this one.

I didn't expect to see you here Kyle, are you reviewing Von Trier's Nymphomaniac films by any chance?

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 20, 2015

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
I made a post about where to find all of my stuff:
http://movienightstheseries.tumblr.com/post/127017244410/where-to-find-me

Still a bit sad to see Blip go away, despite the issues they had.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Thunderfinger posted:

It's a more interesting project than those "translate Star Wars into Shakespeare" books.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

KKall posted:

I love the enormous amount of research that goes into these. I'd always heard the Klingon's love of Shakespeare came more from the Nazis, and that it was originally Nazi propaganda that claimed Shakespeare was a German author who was forced to take on an English name and had his work stolen from him and translated into English against his will. Then again, the Klingons have always been kind of a catch-all metaphorical villain.

Speaking of, there's a movie y'all should check out called "Goodbye Lenin" that has some nods to the Soviets and their ilk reappropriating things for the purpose of propaganda. The concept of the film is a woman heavily devoted to the communist cause falls into a coma in East Germany right before the fall of the Berlin wall, and wakes up out of it a few months after East and West Germany are reunited. Her children decide to keep up a ruse that East Germany still exists, since their doctor tells them that a shock to the mother's system may trigger a heart attack. They go so far as to hire friends to create fake news casts they play back on a hidden VCR. There's a scene where the mother spots a Coca Cola blimp flying outside and is of course completely baffled. Later, she sees a fake newscast that states Coca Cola is now available in East Germany and that the formula for it was created in East Germany, then stolen by those pesky capitalist Americans.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

What language was Kyle speaking when he was reading Macbeth?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
The Archive Team (a group of digital archivists/hoarders loosely-affiliated with the Internet Archive) are making a complete archive of all of Blip which they plan to eventually upload to the Internet Achive. They are currently down to the last 150k out of about 7.5M videos and you can track their progress here.

I've also made a a nearly-complete personal archive of everyone who was on Blip who was at any time also on Channel Awesome (and who had not had their channel purged previously), as well as a selected few other reviewers (most notably RLM). I'm not planning to upload the entire archive anywhere (my ISP already sent me a nag letter for using 7 terabytes of bandwidth just downloading all those videos) but if someone wants a specific video please send me a PM and I'll see what I can do. The archive is only "nearly-complete" because some videos unfortunately didn't have any working download links. (Overall about 2% of videos are missing, though some critics like Benzaie were hit harder and have around 5% missing.)

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

Robert Denby posted:

I love the enormous amount of research that goes into these. I'd always heard the Klingon's love of Shakespeare came more from the Nazis, and that it was originally Nazi propaganda that claimed Shakespeare was a German author who was forced to take on an English name and had his work stolen from him and translated into English against his will. Then again, the Klingons have always been kind of a catch-all metaphorical villain.

Speaking of, there's a movie y'all should check out called "Goodbye Lenin" that has some nods to the Soviets and their ilk reappropriating things for the purpose of propaganda. The concept of the film is a woman heavily devoted to the communist cause falls into a coma in East Germany right before the fall of the Berlin wall, and wakes up out of it a few months after East and West Germany are reunited. Her children decide to keep up a ruse that East Germany still exists, since their doctor tells them that a shock to the mother's system may trigger a heart attack. They go so far as to hire friends to create fake news casts they play back on a hidden VCR. There's a scene where the mother spots a Coca Cola blimp flying outside and is of course completely baffled. Later, she sees a fake newscast that states Coca Cola is now available in East Germany and that the formula for it was created in East Germany, then stolen by those pesky capitalist Americans.

I love Goodbye Lenin! The soundtrack is gorgeous as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTLCjq7Zwio

Mraagvpeine posted:

What language was Kyle speaking when he was reading Macbeth?

Dovahzul. The dragon language from Skyrim. http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Language

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

KKall posted:

The extra's on my dvd for Star Trek 6 was a mini documentary on Klingon Hamlet, it was spliced with footage of a rehearsal for a performance, the graveyard scene was the focus. Looked like a pretty professional production too.

Edit: Here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF0k4qV1I1Y

Baka-nin fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 20, 2015

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Mr.Radar posted:

The Archive Team (a group of digital archivists/hoarders loosely-affiliated with the Internet Archive) are making a complete archive of all of Blip which they plan to eventually upload to the Internet Achive. They are currently down to the last 150k out of about 7.5M videos and you can track their progress here.

I've also made a a nearly-complete personal archive of everyone who was on Blip who was at any time also on Channel Awesome (and who had not had their channel purged previously), as well as a selected few other reviewers (most notably RLM). I'm not planning to upload the entire archive anywhere (my ISP already sent me a nag letter for using 7 terabytes of bandwidth just downloading all those videos) but if someone wants a specific video please send me a PM and I'll see what I can do. The archive is only "nearly-complete" because some videos unfortunately didn't have any working download links. (Overall about 2% of videos are missing, though some critics like Benzaie were hit harder and have around 5% missing.)

Are the videos dated?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Mraagvpeine posted:

Are the videos dated?

I have complete sets of metadata for every publicly-available video on Blip including their publication date.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Just FYI, Kyle, if you weren't aware:

The Galifreyan "conlang" you briefly featured in your video is based on exactly nothing and endorsed by nothing. No official piece of Doctor Who fiction has ever used a cogent constructed Gallifreyan language in any capacity. Literally all we have are some spoken/romanized nouns.

Just nitpicking, but I see people getting Circular Gallifreyan tatoos who don't actually know that the clock-gear-based notebook-margin doodles that they're getting injected into their flesh are less than 11 years old and have no consistent meaning.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Robert Denby posted:

Sorry, I'm just chiming in that Goodbye Lenin! is a really fascinating movie. I also wasn't aware of the concept of "Ostalgie" until I saw it too. Everyone over here talks about how awesome it was that the wall was torn down, but don't tend to go into how uneven and difficult the reunification actually was.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Which starts with the term "reunification". It's really a process that hasn't finished yet and at least to me, it is pretty easy to see why so many people have nostalgic feelings about the GDR.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

KKall posted:

That was a wonderful video. Now that you're on Youtube, it'll be easier to marathon your series now!

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Compendium posted:

That was a wonderful video. Now that you're on Youtube, it'll be easier to marathon your series now!

The only problem with watching his videos is then feeling illiterate, uncultured, and generally stupid. :smith:

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Mr.Radar posted:

I'd actually take you up on this, though I don't have pms. Do you have an email address or something similar?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Captain Rufus posted:

The only problem with watching his videos is then feeling illiterate, uncultured, and generally stupid. :smith:

Instead, you should feel happiness at learning something new! LEarning and discovering stuff is wonderful and amazing, and you shouldn't feel abd that there'S stuff you don't know. Instead feel great that you're going to experience it for the first time!

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

MonsieurChoc posted:

Instead, you should feel happiness at learning something new! LEarning and discovering stuff is wonderful and amazing, and you shouldn't feel abd that there'S stuff you don't know. Instead feel great that you're going to experience it for the first time!

That's pretty much how I feel whenever I watch BHH. I love learning things or being reminded of bits of knowledge I even forgot I had in regards to films and their influences.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Compendium posted:

That's pretty much how I feel whenever I watch BHH. I love learning things or being reminded of bits of knowledge I even forgot I had in regards to films and their influences.

BHH actually felt like a breath of fresh air and was more interesting than the other review shows on CA, if you ask me I think Kyle was almost on par with RLM, at least he seemed to have a better attitude than certain idiots with characters who act like "remember when [insert movie/comic book/video game here] was a thing, boy that sure sucked!"

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Miss Wallace posted:

I made a post about where to find all of my stuff:
http://movienightstheseries.tumblr.com/post/127017244410/where-to-find-me

Still a bit sad to see Blip go away, despite the issues they had.

Found and followed your new channel, and I'm very glad to see you saved the most important video anyone has ever created.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
As a film/video/digital archivist its heartening to see that some of Blip's content is being saved.

KKall posted:

I love Goodbye Lenin! The soundtrack is gorgeous as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTLCjq7Zwio

The way the main theme comes in for short bursts over the course of the film is quite nice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlziwF5IkvA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E95_Agyo-Bg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SfCx66nx9k

Also this piece:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk__Fo_7gxU

Holy poo poo I need to watch this movie again this weekend...

Compendium posted:

I love learning things or being reminded of bits of knowledge I even forgot I had in regards to films and their influences.
Also getting it from someone who clearly knows their poo poo when it comes to film history and criticism. I can always see how well-researched the reviews are, and that makes them connect a lot better.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

e X posted:

I'd actually take you up on this, though I don't have pms. Do you have an email address or something similar?

Sure, e-mail my user name at outlook.com.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

dijon du jour posted:

Found and followed your new channel, and I'm very glad to see you saved the most important video anyone has ever created.

Every time this video comes up, I'm always disappointed that it's not "Top 10 Animated Hot Dogs"

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

dijon du jour posted:

Truly my masterpiece.

Also! I made a superlist of where to find people's videos after the Blip shutdown:
http://obscuruslupa.tumblr.com/post/127176308307/the-internet-reviewer-blip-shutdown-super-list

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Captain Rufus posted:

You should only be worried if you still feel that way after reading the Youtube comments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I hope Kyle reviews a movie with Ice Cube in it and does it in the same style as he did the Bowie reviews.

In other words, I want Kyle to gangster rap through a review.

• Locked thread