Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Effectronica posted:

People can tell when you're fronting.

Effectronica-Senpai noticed me!!
:wink:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Error 404 posted:

Skill focus: Plutonis
I still can't believe that grognards.next has a first page dog loving story and nobody posted the needful.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
All of the SSI D&D Gold Box games have been released on gog.com

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

Oh poo poo it is loving on.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

And pretty much all the other D&D games are up to 90% off. Planescape: Torment, we will finally be.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Don't games from that time period tend to age terribly regarding stuff like bad user interfaces, poor mechanical balance and opaque documentation?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Davin Valkri posted:

Don't games from that time period tend to age terribly regarding stuff like bad user interfaces, poor mechanical balance and opaque documentation?

Pretty much, yeah. I can't play Planescape: Torment due to how bad everything in that game runs, from the controls to the interface to the combat mechanics.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Davin Valkri posted:

The writing in Planescape: Torment is worth suffering through the gameplay.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Davin Valkri posted:

see: 3.5e

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I don't tolerate badly aged gameplay all that well but I'm willing to drop €3.69 on a potential gem.

Tempted to pick up the Baldur's Gate games, even though I couldn't get into them a few years ago and really hate Forgotten Realms.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The gameplay in Torment was pretty bad even at the time it was released.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Slimnoid posted:

Pretty much, yeah. I can't play Planescape: Torment due to how bad everything in that game runs, from the controls to the interface to the combat mechanics.

GOG games generally come preconfigured and tweaked for modern machines.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Evil Mastermind posted:

It helps, but it can't fix everything. 90s PC games are just awash with really bad UI and control schemes. Not to mention how common sudden spikes in difficulty are for no reason and loads of "gotcha!" game design decisions.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Evil Mastermind posted:

gnome7 posted:

It helps, but it can't fix everything. 90s PC games are just awash with really bad UI and control schemes. Not to mention how common sudden spikes in difficulty are for no reason and loads of "gotcha!" game design decisions.

This.

I just can't get into the game due to it's frustratingly slow gameplay and awful UI. I know it's a good game underneath there but I'm not going to struggle and fight with the game to experience all of that.

This goes for most cRPGs though, so it mostly has to do with those games just not really being for me even when I give them an honest shot.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
If you're looking for a CRPG, the Avernum remake is pretty simple and fun to play.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

gnome7 posted:

Oh, I know; I probably should have bolded the part I was responding to.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Error 404 posted:

Effectronica-Senpai noticed me!!
:wink:

Notice "deez nuts".

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Notice "deez nuts".

Vote for Deez Nutz

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
The Gold Box games are interesting, because they kind of set the template for mashing D&D's weird tacticless combat-should-be-avoided-because-it's-lovely ruleset into actually being a tactical combat game.

You know, if you wanted someone to blame.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The best D&D branded videogame was Treasure of Tarmin.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I don't tolerate badly aged gameplay all that well but I'm willing to drop €3.69 on a potential gem.

Tempted to pick up the Baldur's Gate games, even though I couldn't get into them a few years ago and really hate Forgotten Realms.

If bg1 doesn't grab your attention go ahead and just play 2

Tulpa
Aug 8, 2014
gold box games are great. I dunno it takes like 15 minutes to get used to the old pc game interfaces and then you get to actually play these games which are both historically important and still fun today.

Planescape Torment's interface isn't bad but it's stuck with that terrible 'real time with pause' combat. I don't know if Gog's version includes all the high resolution mods but you should really google those and play with those installed.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Torment is amazing, but I didn't feel even remotely bad installing half a dozen mods and refusing to pay more than the barest lip service to the combat.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tendales posted:

The Gold Box games are interesting, because they kind of set the template for mashing D&D's weird tacticless combat-should-be-avoided-because-it's-lovely ruleset into actually being a tactical combat game.

You know, if you wanted someone to blame.

They're interesting as far as they're actually grid-based and turn-based rather than the lovely Infinity Engine's pausable-real-time on a free grid system that only barely resembles the tabletop rules.

Like, if you were going to make a tactics game out of D&D, you should probably implement it as is rather than into something its not so that it actually works.

Dec 26, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Any meme can become great, however forced its start.

Memes don't start great, greatness is maked over time.

Tulpa
Aug 8, 2014

FastestGunAlive posted:

If bg1 doesn't grab your attention go ahead and just play 2

this is true. BG1 is really deeply boring on a cosmic level, but BG2 is basically packed with interesting stuff happening every 5 steps you take in the game.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Play Icewind Dale last unless you're super into the combat

Tulpa
Aug 8, 2014

Swagger Dagger posted:

Play Icewind Dale last unless you're super into the combat

Play Temple of Elemental Evil instead if you want D&D combat in a video game. ToEE and Knights of the Chalice are literally the best things to ever come out of D&D 3rd edition (though NWN has a lot of great custom modules, the original campaign was crap)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is Beamdog going to be remastering Planescape: Torment like they've done so far successfully with BG1/BG2/Icewind Dale? The earliest D&D game I ever played was NWN, but I got sucked into BG1:EE something fierce after getting it really cheap on a Steam holiday sale a couple years ago.

Also they're making a new BG expansion, whatwhatwhat.

Drone fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Aug 21, 2015

Illvillainy
Jan 4, 2004

Pants then spaceship. In that order.

Drone posted:

The Infinity engine has so much undeserved nostalgia attached to it. See: Pillars of Eternity being released in the Year of Our Luigi 2015.

EDIT: "successfully" is debatable.

Illvillainy fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Aug 21, 2015

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Quick, let's all start reserving our nostalgia for things that deserve it, because that's how nostalgia works now.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Illvillainy posted:

The Infinity engine has so much undeserved nostalgia attached to it. See: Pillars of Eternity being released in the Year of Our Luigi 2015.

Yeah, gently caress them for making a really good game in 2015.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Quick, let's all start reserving our nostalgia for things that deserve it, because that's how nostalgia works now.

Remember Battletoads and the meme about asking GameStop about Battletoads? Let's be nostalgic about it now that Rash, the Battletoad, is playable on Killer Instinct.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Drone posted:

Is Beamdog going to be remastering Planescape: Torment like they've done so far successfully with BG1/BG2/Icewind Dale? The earliest D&D game I ever played was NWN, but I got sucked into BG1:EE something fierce after getting it really cheap on a Steam holiday sale a couple years ago.

They're doing that BG expansion next, so PS:T isn't on the radar (yet?)

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Andrast posted:

Yeah, gently caress them for making a really good game in 2015.

Well, it would actually have been better if they made gently caress You: Suck My Dick: Josh Sawyer's Personal Dream RPG Experience, which was pretty much Pillars of Eternity but properly turn based.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Drone posted:

I don't know if they are because the version of the infinity engine used is slightly different, also more broken due to age and neglect, than the standard one used in BG1/BG2/Icewind Dale. They could probably update it but it would take a lot of work.

I'm curious if they'll do Icewind Dale 2 because it uses 3.5 rules instead 2nd like the others.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
How people can hate on realtime-with-pause is beyond me. Turn based is so dull.

I am curious to see if I have matured at all in the last 25 years or if Eye of the Beholder will still make me fly into a frustrated rage.

Serf
May 5, 2011

The greatest crime is that we never got the 4E turn-based tactical dungeon crawler that we should have. If there ever was a game primed for being turned into a CRPG it was 4E.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

bunnielab posted:

I am curious to see if I have matured at all in the last 25 years or if Eye of the Beholder will still make me fly into a frustrated rage.

Good turn-based games are way better than RTWP. See: XCOM, Shadowrun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

bunnielab posted:

I haven't yet seen a good argument in favor of real time with pause compared to properly-implemented turn-based.

• Locked thread