Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Is this supposed to mean something?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

People who signed up for Steam to play DOTA evidently only care about playing DOTA, to the surprise of no one

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Additionally, free to play successor to mod responsible for millions of instances of piracy specifically to play it attracts the kind of person that doesn't buy videogames, to the etc. etc.

Not sure what it's in response to, though.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Idk what the source is or anything, but a bunch of people have alternate accounts just for smurfing in both Dota and CS.

Doing some math...

Real account: 40 games
Smurf account: 2 games

Average: 21 games

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

I don't know why it's in this thread, but it's part of this interesting blog post from the creator of SteamSpy.

TLDR; Steam follows the same 80-20 rule as most other industries.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
The new WOFF! is out, and it's about Zone of the Enders.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/107

Up next is a multi-part episode about Paper Mario, followed by Doom II, then King of Dragon Pass.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Sweet. I've just bought King of Dragon Pass and I loved playing Doom 2 and Paper Mario. Other submissions have been killing it recently so I'm going to have to step up my prose.

Also, it occurred to be that there must be a solid goof about Gary's neighbour's dickless brother and that guy that talked about grinding his dick off in Bloodborne, but it's just not coming to me.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Song For The Deaf posted:

then King of Dragon Pass.

yessssssssss

I'm doing this (secret) dance right now

Read the manual! And maybe this post (or not if you want to fumble around, which is totally reasonable. Read the manual for sure though, the game basically expects you to.)

Don't forget to select the long game when you start or else the game ends like halfway through in a silly way.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 20, 2015

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
There's a pretty good thread for KODP and it's been fairly active since KODP came out on steam, if anyone is interested they definitely should checkitout.

TetsuoTW posted:

Is this supposed to mean something?
I guess it means that people who are aware enough of a game's success to buy a sequel, are more likely to own a bunch of games.

It really doesn't prove anything though, except that there's a hell of a lot of game player/consumers out there who only play one game and nothing else.. I'd bet that World of Tanks players' number of owned games, looks a lot like the DOTA graph, for instance. Smurfing accounts are probably super commonplace as well.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
RE: Ikea furniture in the newest Thumbs.. I just go in and say "oh hey wow, these instructions were backward and there are all these holes stuck on the wrong side (no I totally didn't drink a six pack while I was putting together that cabinet, and then start drilling holes when I decided it was hosed up). Never had anyone even give me a second look, for returning half-assembled/broken furniture. Since the instructions on most of that stuff are written in in random language and then translated in the style of black market chinese t-shirts, you can usually just blame that.

edit: the name of the crashing-mac icon in the early mac OSes was literally "sad Mac"

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Aug 21, 2015

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

AllisonByProxy posted:

This week's WOFF has the best sketch.

Hahaha holy poo poo.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

HMS Boromir posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo.

It was amazing. I wasn't expecting the sketch to go on that long either.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I think it also contains the most disturbing Duckfeed line to date in "It's like the Sloth scene from Seven, except Genome Soldiers instead of air fresheners." I cringed.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
On the subject of anime tie-ins to things that don't exist and include annoying child protagonists, Giant Robo. It's a finale to a long-running, entirely fabricated series. I don't know that ZoE was intended to be like that but Giant Robo certainly pulls it off at least a little better.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Aug 21, 2015

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Does anyone remember which Idle Thumbs episode(s) had all the GamerGrub talk? The database drew a blank.... All I remember for sure is that it was super early in OG Thumbs.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Number 2 I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95kIEsnJua8

al-azad
May 28, 2009

HMS Boromir posted:

On the subject of anime tie-ins to things that don't exist and include annoying child protagonists, Giant Robo. It's a finale to a long-running, entirely fabricated series. I don't know that ZoE was intended to be like that but Giant Robo certainly pulls it off at least a little better.

The 90s Giant Robo is unique in that it's based on the original creator's entire canon so the material exists but the story within the show is original. I guess the closest Western example is DC's Kingdom Come which is all the DC superheroes decades after a cataclysmic event we only get a glimpse of.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

coyo7e posted:

RE: Ikea furniture in the newest Thumbs.. I just go in and say "oh hey wow, these instructions were backward and there are all these holes stuck on the wrong side (no I totally didn't drink a six pack while I was putting together that cabinet, and then start drilling holes when I decided it was hosed up). Never had anyone even give me a second look, for returning half-assembled/broken furniture. Since the instructions on most of that stuff are written in in random language and then translated in the style of black market chinese t-shirts, you can usually just blame that.

edit: the name of the crashing-mac icon in the early mac OSes was literally "sad Mac"

I don't know how many six-packs you had, but I put IKEA furniture together a month ago and the instructions didn't have any words on them at all.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I've never bought anything from Ikea in my life. Consider your mind now blown.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I always feel like an alien creature whenever people talk about Ikea. I love assembling their furniture and never had the soul-crushing experiences that everybody else does.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
It all depends on the piece. I've had a couple of cabinets come together perfectly, one shelf where a few holes didn't seem to connect to anything but it has functioned fine for years, etc. And then there was the "no tools needed" bedframe that I straight up had to find a drill and screws for because nothing at all in the box matched the instructions after step 3. No holes, no pegs, no connection whatsoever. It was like someone had machine translated the pictures.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I live like 10 minutes from an IKEA so I go there all the time and pretty much all my furniture comes from there and it's cheap and awesome and I have never had a problem assembling anything and they have really good, cheap food in their cantina.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
They were really criticising target not ikea.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ikea do good meatballs

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

umalt posted:

I always feel like an alien creature whenever people talk about Ikea. I love assembling their furniture and never had the soul-crushing experiences that everybody else does.
I've only ever been to Ikea once, and it was the one in Stoughton MA. I dunno if they're all like that, but it was one of the most mindbogglingly massive stores I've ever been in, complete with its own parking garage. I'm pretty sure the warehouse could fit both a Costco and BJ's in it, together, and still have room.

I was there for Detolfs, which seem to be the standard for display cabinets, and they were fairly easy and pretty fun to assemble. Stuff looks right good in'em, too. I dunno if I'd trust an Ikea bed or whatever, but for display things and the like, they're pretty great.

Hakkesshu posted:

I live like 10 minutes from an IKEA so I go there all the time and pretty much all my furniture comes from there and it's cheap and awesome and I have never had a problem assembling anything and they have really good, cheap food in their cantina.
On my way to checking out, I grabbed a bottle of apple-berry sparkling cider for 2.50 and it was pretty fantastic.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

In Taipei, Ikea is an incredibly popular place to take dates. Not even kidding.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Jippa posted:

They were really criticising target not ikea.

Really, just anything "sub-Ikea". Ikea is a decently solid little chain, if not amazing. You should really begin to worry when you get cheaper than what they've got on offer. Hi there, permanently dented when an elbow hit it "wooden" shelving from Costco that cost me $10.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

If IKEA were that close I would totally have lunch or dinner there.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

umalt posted:

Same I love it! I didn't want to get into it on the show for some reason but I find it very fun. It's like Lego but then you have a new chest of drawers!

And yeah I was making GBS threads on the Ikea-style furniture sold at places like Target. It is trash that falls apart instantly.

Admittedly SOME Ikea stuff is like that too, but in my experience most Ikea furniture that doesn't fall apart in the first six months lives for years. (Also, don't buy the particle board Ikea stuff if you can avoid it -- the furniture they make out of actual wood is pretty decent once it's together and in your house.)

Also that furniture assembly game was genuinely hilarious to watch being played.

ja2ke fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 22, 2015

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Shameless self promotion time: I'm running a Kickstarter for a book. It's a parody of one of those Worlds of Power books about Dark Souls. Of course, I can't actually use Dark Souls so I've created an 8bit simulacrum of it. It'd mean a lot to me if you checked it out!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/152640612/souls-of-darkness-a-retro-style-dark-souls-book

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
Backed it at the sticker level. I like cool stickers, so please don't let me down.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Hakkesshu posted:

How ya like those horse meatballs?

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Posting itt from an IKEA right now.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Last week, I hired handymen to deliver and assemble some ikea furniture. By far the best ikea experience I've had.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wow Spaf talking about Contradiction and saying that the MC is annoying really bums me out on the latest IT

Like I listen to him and think of the Giant Bomb East playthrough of it and how I literally bought the game because I was so entertained by their playthrough of it. The guys who played the main character and one of the other major characters sent in an "Audition Tape" to them to play on the Beastcast. It's pretty amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqnFq3b3d0I

They're so good-natured about it all and clearly enjoyed what they were doing, it's a shame when people can't get into it.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Woffle posted:

Shameless self promotion time: I'm running a Kickstarter for a book. It's a parody of one of those Worlds of Power books about Dark Souls. Of course, I can't actually use Dark Souls so I've created an 8bit simulacrum of it. It'd mean a lot to me if you checked it out!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/152640612/souls-of-darkness-a-retro-style-dark-souls-book

is there a preview of said stickers? I too, enjoy stickers

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

They're so good-natured about it all and clearly enjoyed what they were doing, it's a shame when people can't get into it.
I haven't seen much of that game, but based on what I've seen I can understand how some people might not like it because being ironically crap is dangerously close to being actually crap.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

TetsuoTW posted:

I haven't seen much of that game, but based on what I've seen I can understand how some people might not like it because being ironically crap is dangerously close to being actually crap.

Contradiction is not ironically crap. It's actually really easy to spot the difference between a cheesy work where everyone is enjoying themselves and care about their product, and something like Kung Fury, which is a big cynical piece of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Being ironically bad and having/being fun aren't mutually exclusive. In fact, I'd say that's one of the differences between ironically crap and just plain crap (like Kung Fury).

• Locked thread