Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
GOD WE GET IT JONES IS OLD wait wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
I think part of the reason it feels like it's dragging so much is because the update rate has gone way, way down. It's now at least a week between updates, where it used to be multiple updates, so at least the slow stuff moved along at a decent release pace. This is a little too slow, but it feels even slower because of that.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

The other part that baffled me a bit, not because it was bad or anything, was the whole Legato deal. I liked it, but I forget why it happened in the middle of the Noisemaster plot. Could've been way better as an interlude story between arcs but I felt like gigi really really wanted to tell that story and couldn't wait.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Blackheart posted:

The other part that baffled me a bit, not because it was bad or anything, was the whole Legato deal. I liked it, but I forget why it happened in the middle of the Noisemaster plot. Could've been way better as an interlude story between arcs but I felt like gigi really really wanted to tell that story and couldn't wait.

Yeah. I'm not sure what the point of what that arc was, or if that was setting up for something else, as much as I liked it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Bonster posted:

I think part of the reason it feels like it's dragging so much is because the update rate has gone way, way down. It's now at least a week between updates, where it used to be multiple updates, so at least the slow stuff moved along at a decent release pace. This is a little too slow, but it feels even slower because of that.

Both plot-heavy and combat-heavy chapters in webcomics slow them the gently caress down, even with a steady update schedule. There's just so many words you can fit on an update unless you're Homestuck, and only so many action sequences unless you're...I guess Homestuck again? It happens, and I still think this is moving at a decent speed regardless.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Blackheart posted:

I'm not sure why it was when it was, but it was just a sidequest at the end of the day. It doesn't need to tie into the main plot, necessarily, but it might in hindsight or something.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Cucumber Quest is heavily inspired by the two Paper Mario games, where for each chapter, there is a 'side' quest that is completed before the 'main' quest simply because it is on the way.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah. I'm not sure what the point of what that arc was, or if that was setting up for something else, as much as I liked it.

It was a metaphor for the comic as the whole - nothing was as it appeared, everyone was just playing roles thrust on them, the "bad guys" in the form of the instruments really weren't all that bad, and ultimately victory was only achieved by throwing away the pretense, breaking from the script, and destroying the false images cast out to an empty audience.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It also served to totally waste the heroes' time while Noisemaster's weapon charged

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, the whole point was giving Noisemaster the chance to say, "well, no, I didn't put my WMD on hold while you went off to do other stuff."

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Regy Rusty posted:

It also served to totally waste the heroes' time while Noisemaster's weapon charged

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, the whole point was giving Noisemaster the chance to say, "well, no, I didn't put my WMD on hold while you went off to do other stuff."

:doh: I completely forgot about that. That's actually pretty clever.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It was basically a side quest happening in a situation where real time passes, unlike most video games.

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011
Honestly, the problem with these last few updates is that it's all telling us what we already knew. These, what, seven pages of Rosemaster lecturing Glitchmaster could have been shown much more quickly and powerfully by just fading to black with 'I could have won, I hope you appreciate that', like has been said. Just boom, dying one liner that says 'I knew exactly what I was doing' and done.

Instead, now we're spending all this time having Rose spell out what she's already shown us and it's an awful drag.

The Legato sidequest worked a lot better than this in spite of not progressing with the 'main story' because it created a parallel with the themes of 'everyone being forced to play their roles in a childish play' and reinforced them - emphasising how Glitchmaster getting ready to blow up the city is the real sidequest, because the rules of the game prevent him from winning no matter and in-setting there's nothing actually at stake.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

You people that are complaining about pacing realize that it's been about 10 pages with less words than a restaurant menu, right?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I can't wait for Cucumber Quest Kai to come out and take out all this pointless filler.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Just say that you're bored waiting for the next page.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I dunno, I've been enjoying this. We get to see Rosemaster's motivation for taking the Crocus and breaking from Glitchmaster's plan, and a little more of what makes her and Glitchmaster tick.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Paul.Power posted:

I dunno, I've been enjoying this. We get to see Rosemaster's motivation for taking the Crocus and breaking from Glitchmaster's plan, and a little more of what makes her and Glitchmaster tick.

Yeah, I really dig it personally.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Bongo Bill posted:

Just say that you're bored waiting for the next page.

I'm bored waiting for the continuation of this arc.

I like Rosemaster as a villain, but this is laying it on a bit thick.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I was screeching in joy at Carrot's transformation into Pretty Soldier Sailor Carrot, but this interlude has made it apparent that it didn't matter. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

I do, however, enjoy knowing that Rosemaster threw the game purposefully, even if it was already fairly apparent.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Oneiros posted:

You people that are complaining about pacing realize that it's been about 10 pages with less words than a restaurant menu, right?

The restaurant menu probably has less ham than this interlude.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I didn't used to understand why Gigi doesn't come here any more; thanks, thread, for opening my eyes. I don't think I've ever seen anyone bitch so relentlessly about a comic they supposedly like.

What happened to just checking out for the boring bits? Put it down, go do something else and come back later. It's a real loving downer reading post after post about how one monologue must mean we're headed for five more years of nothing but artsy monologues because it's not like this a comic that has changed in mood or theme before?

The only issue with pacing right now is that it's taking literal months to get through and y'all are a bunch of whiny man babies.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

"For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is Rosemaster? This is Rosemaster speaking. I am the woman who loves her life. I am the woman who does not sacrifice her love or her values. I am the woman who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are perishing-you who dread knowledge -I am the woman who will now tell you.”

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Personally I think this will all read pretty well in the printed volumes. Web comics always drag, but I don't think the author's sense of story telling should be sacrificed to meet a real world deadline of progress. I'm cool with this.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
new page

finally, the torturous 15 sentence monologue has come to it's end. ya'll are babies over complaining about a webcomic that takes like 5 seconds per update to read for taking a while to get through a villain's final speech.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Renaissance Robot posted:

I didn't used to understand why Gigi doesn't come here any more; thanks, thread, for opening my eyes. I don't think I've ever seen anyone bitch so relentlessly about a comic they supposedly like.

What happened to just checking out for the boring bits? Put it down, go do something else and come back later. It's a real loving downer reading post after post about how one monologue must mean we're headed for five more years of nothing but artsy monologues because it's not like this a comic that has changed in mood or theme before?

The only issue with pacing right now is that it's taking literal months to get through and y'all are a bunch of whiny man babies.

...Or it could be because people get hyperbollically mad and rush to defend their precious webcomic author over pretty mild criticism.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Maybe they should call it Queue-cumber Quest... because we're all waiting in line for something to happen!

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Malpais Legate posted:

I was screeching in joy at Carrot's transformation into Pretty Soldier Sailor Carrot, but this interlude has made it apparent that it didn't matter. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

I don't think that's necessarily true. She was going to let the "heroes" live, but she straight up threw him off a cliff--I think she was genuinely trying to kill him, and only let up because he proved himself. Heck, maybe her version of the drama she was setting up ended with Almond, motivated by the death of her friend, fighting like never before.

Either way, that transformation did save his life. (Although according to Gigi's askfm, it seems like the real reason is she hated his armor design and wanted to change it, so who knows.)

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Captain Oblivious posted:

The restaurant menu probably has less ham than this interlude.

Bacon isn't even in this scene you dolt.

And Carrot's transformation, regardless of whether it was needed to defeat Rosemaster, now allows him to be an actual Character Who Does Things; seeing as how he had done absolutely nothing up until now.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

life_source posted:

Bacon isn't even in this scene you dolt.

And Carrot's transformation, regardless of whether it was needed to defeat Rosemaster, now allows him to be an actual Character Who Does Things; seeing as how he had done absolutely nothing up until now.

Yeah, honestly even if the power up isn't permanent and Rosemaster took a stage dive, Carrot thinks he won, and that self confidence boost in addition to the Power Of Love are going to let him be a full fledged helping member of the party.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Carrasco posted:

I don't think that's necessarily true. She was going to let the "heroes" live, but she straight up threw him off a cliff--I think she was genuinely trying to kill him, and only let up because he proved himself. Heck, maybe her version of the drama she was setting up ended with Almond, motivated by the death of her friend, fighting like never before.

Either way, that transformation did save his life. (Although according to Gigi's askfm, it seems like the real reason is she hated his armor design and wanted to change it, so who knows.)
Yeah, I read it as "planned to throw fight, Carrot going paladin was happy coincidence".

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Plus Almond now gets to secretly think he's awesome.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Plus, they're going to get a whole bunch of NPCs being strangely helpful now that they have a hunk on the team.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Neo_Crimson posted:

...Or it could be because people get hyperbollically mad and rush to defend their precious webcomic author over pretty mild criticism.

Getting exasperated when the quality of the thread drops to "every second poster delivers the exact same complaint mild criticism" is now white knighting, apparently.

I'm not defending the author, I'm rejecting the validity of criticism which amounts to moaning that the rest of the comic must be fated to be boring and sue-ish just because the last dozen pages supposedly have been.

WarpedNaba posted:

Plus, they're going to get a whole bunch of NPCs being strangely helpful now that they have a hunk on the team.

Who wouldn't want to help commander Caboodle? :swoon:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nobody thinks the comic is ruined forever, some of us just think this last part of this arc has dragged a little long. That's always a risk with a serial narrative, and productions with way more time and money and people working on them have pacing issues too.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

At the very least the art will always be cute to look at so that's always a plus with Cucumber Quest.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Blackheart posted:

At the very least the art will always be cute to look at so that's always a plus with Cucumber Quest.

'Thing at least looks good' is like, the mildest of the mild compliment that could possibly exist. And I say that for all media: comics, videogames, movies 'At least it looks decent' is the barest of compliments you could give something.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I didn't mean it like that, the thing looks consistently gorgeous and it's enough to look at because of that regardless of how you feel about the story. This can't be said about most comics out there, web or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

WarpedNaba posted:

And now I can't stop thinking of Zelos' theme. Thanks for that.