Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP
That is quote not edit. I'm an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Tayter Swift posted:

MS-20 Mini, or the Roland System 1m. Or maybe the Dreadbox Erebus.

System 1m is pretty good fun, although the patching makes little sense without other boxes.. I'm going to wait for the System 500 modules because the System 100m was a long ago dream, and there's a hard limit to number of modules.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
I was allways against getting a modular because of the cost of even the most basic system. But the Waldorf NW1 announcment pushed me over the edge, I have it and a doepfer 3U case preordered. I'll be using my microbrute as a interface for it, saves a bit of cash/space.

Looking up modules is fun until you check the price tag, all the cool stuff is really loving expensive.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Why would you ever go modular it's only one voice.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

COOL CORN posted:

I've played around with VST synths in the past, but after watching "I Dream of Wires" on Netflix, I want a modular synth SO BAD :stare:
gently caress
What's the cheapest that one can get away with fiddling with patch cables and knobs?

No don't :retrogames:
I'd second suggestions of an MS20mini or Phenol or minibrute, some other semi-modular. Absolute cheapest way without real DIY would be a Boogie Board and a synth voice. The original pittsburgh synth block is probably the most reasonable used.

utamaru posted:

came across this demo on muff today: https://soundcloud.com/audio-damage-inc/psytrance-bassline-sidechain-pumping-with-kompressor
I don't own any hardware compressors at all. I need this in my life. What else is super cheap and fun? A 3630?

Super cheap? Alesis nanocomp is cleaner than the 3630, with no french house hype$. I'd really suggest a used FMR RNC because you'll end up using it more often on lots more things, they're down to about $100 these days. I use a 1/3 rack tray with those two and an RNLA inside. The dbx 163 was a favorite of mine for drums but they're not cheap as free anymore so I'd feel bad suggesting it. The 166A is nothing special but works and is cheap.

W424 posted:

I was allways against getting a modular because of the cost of even the most basic system. But the Waldorf NW1 announcment pushed me over the edge, I have it and a doepfer 3U case preordered. I'll be using my microbrute as a interface for it, saves a bit of cash/space.
Looking up modules is fun until you check the price tag, all the cool stuff is really loving expensive.

I dunno you could have a really varied system sticking just with Doepfer modules and even his wacky stuff is a bargain compared to some of the hip manufacturers. Too bad he seems to eschew digital modules, that's where the big holes are in his line up. I'm rather excited about the NW1 but it's been pushed back again which makes me worried. lol waldorf.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Some one needs to make a history of Waldorf video, like Dr. Sparkle doing the history of Atari on Chrontendo. Like, how many times have all the assets changed hands since the early 90s?

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP
I have known for some time this is the one true answer.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

snorch posted:

Why would you ever go modular it's only one voice.

A modular has as many voices as you have the space and money for.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
There are also virtual modular software solutions if you're just looking for ultimate configurability. It's not tactile, it's not analog, but it does provide you with the ability to architect a synthesizer voice from scratch. You can fiddle with (virtual) wires this way, and if you grab a BCR2000 or the like you can twist knobs, too.

Reaktor and Max are each pretty powerful. Then there's Patchblocks which shares the visual modular paradigm, but is less powerful. It's still in Beta though, so it's growing. The editor/emulator is free, so you can always download and play with it. The bonus is that you can export the patch to Patchblocks hardware if you want to get back to the analog domain.

Then there's the Nord Modular / G2, but I don't know what that would cost and you'd have to deal with ancient hardware to program it (I think).

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

sliderule posted:

There are also virtual modular software solutions if you're just looking for ultimate configurability. It's not tactile, it's not analog, but it does provide you with the ability to architect a synthesizer voice from scratch. You can fiddle with (virtual) wires this way, and if you grab a BCR2000 or the like you can twist knobs, too.

Reaktor and Max are each pretty powerful. Then there's Patchblocks which shares the visual modular paradigm, but is less powerful. It's still in Beta though, so it's growing. The editor/emulator is free, so you can always download and play with it. The bonus is that you can export the patch to Patchblocks hardware if you want to get back to the analog domain.

Then there's the Nord Modular / G2, but I don't know what that would cost and you'd have to deal with ancient hardware to program it (I think).

Patchblocks looks really cool. But... I can see it being a flash in the pan and not really gaining traction. But who knows!

I think my short term is to get an MS-20... but I really like the idea of VSTs, and getting something I can use as a MIDI controller as well. I have a lovely old M-Audio O2 that I use as a controller, and that's honestly about as far as my hardware synth knowledge goes. Everything else I know has been software.

Can the USB port on the back of the MS-20 turn it into a controller as well?

Sorry for the stupid questions :ohdear:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

COOL CORN posted:

Patchblocks looks really cool. But... I can see it being a flash in the pan and not really gaining traction. But who knows!

I think my short term is to get an MS-20... but I really like the idea of VSTs, and getting something I can use as a MIDI controller as well. I have a lovely old M-Audio O2 that I use as a controller, and that's honestly about as far as my hardware synth knowledge goes. Everything else I know has been software.

Can the USB port on the back of the MS-20 turn it into a controller as well?

Sorry for the stupid questions :ohdear:

It can and I've used it as one, but it's not a very good controller. It transmits keypresses only -- no velocity, no aftertouch, no wheel motions.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
If software modular isn't out of the question take a look at Madrona Aalto, u-he bazille and Arturia's Moog Modular V.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

The old MS20 usb controller that sold with the nice version of the Legacy Collection works great and the MS20 VST and knows when you're patching the real cables. Unfortunately it also works with the iPad version and they didn't do another production run. So instead of being $50 they're now going for like half a real mini.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

COOL CORN posted:

Yeah I'm not too confident about its future either, but as mentioned, the editor/emulator is completely free, so it won't cost you anything to play around if you want to scratch an itch.

They just released the MIDI block and a new version of the editor, so it's still moving forward. I just got my second MIDI block, so I'll be experimenting with MIDI automation. Unfortunately, I'll have to rewrite the MIDI code in order to do everything I want (filtering / routing / distribution) but at least it's possible -- the emulator / firmware code is completely open.

Also, as a crossover to modular, there will soon be a Patchblocks eurorack module. As the outputs are DC coupled, you can use them as CV signals. So you could patch up your own Turing Machine or rectifier or waveshaper or whatever and it can sit right in your rack.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Startyde posted:

The old MS20 usb controller that sold with the nice version of the Legacy Collection works great and the MS20 VST and knows when you're patching the real cables. Unfortunately it also works with the iPad version and they didn't do another production run. So instead of being $50 they're now going for like half a real mini.

I'm pretty sure they designed the legacy collection to be controlled by the microkorg as well. I've been using mine as a midi controller for the past two weeks while I've been visiting family in Georgia. Whenever I have one of the legacy collection synths open and I move a knob on the microkorg it's somehow automatically mapped to something in the vst.
Also three of my microkorg's keys stopped working :/ I'm starting to think I'm cursed to live with this thing forever.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Beatstep Pro showed up. It's fun, but it keeps lagging behind my DAW. It's a consistent delay, but it's gonna make using this thing a pain. Scrubbing through forums now to see if I can get any useful info.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Another modular VST that I would recommend is Bazille from U-He. Sounds great and I've only managed to tap my i7 out by playing a chord on a super complex patch with a ton of effects modulating it.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009
Anyone have any experience of Audulus? Was thinking of getting it to learn a bit more about synthesis. It looks much nicer/friendlier than other software modulars I've seen.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

The Windows version crashes Reaper, appears to work fine as a standalone. Can't tell you much more.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

Beatstep Pro showed up. It's fun, but it keeps lagging behind my DAW. It's a consistent delay, but it's gonna make using this thing a pain. Scrubbing through forums now to see if I can get any useful info.

can you use the beatstep as the master clock for your DAW, have it just send instead of receive and then send back?
I'm curious because I plan to get one and was kind of hoping for that feature. from laptop -> beatstep -> laptop is a pointless loop.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

Interesting. I haven't observed this with it. How much is it delayed? Which DAW? What's your computer?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Yeah I've read reports that different DAW's react funky with the Beatstep Pro especially Cubase but there are some usermade videos on YouTube showing the fixes to get it working right.

cubicle gangster posted:

can you use the beatstep as the master clock for your DAW, have it just send instead of receive and then send back?
I'm curious because I plan to get one and was kind of hoping for that feature. from laptop -> beatstep -> laptop is a pointless loop.

I'm pretty sure it can be a master for your DAW if not natively, at least with a MIDI-USB cable. I.E. Beatstep Pro out -> MIDI to USB cable -> DAW slaved to that clock input.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Played around with settings and stuff. I've been using Reaper 4.78, but in Reaper 5 the delay is either non-existent or tiny. I've been jumping between to see if there's a setting in my 4.78 installation that might be the issue. So far it seems like I might just need to upgrade (even though there's nothing in the changelog about this kind of thing).

Trying to use BSP as master exacerbates the problem, but I'm not used to this stuff, so.

e: I'm on Windows 8.1, all the software is x64. Don't have a ms time for the delay since I'm looking at MIDI events, but it'll be a little less than 1/64th note late at 100BPM. Enough to be noticeable.

coolskull fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 20, 2015

breaks
May 12, 2001

Sounds like a problem with Reaper 4.78 then? Is Reaper 5 not stable enough to use or something?

There is very often some kind of compensation setting either for MIDI clock globally or for individual tracks, designed to be used in this kind of scenario, but I don't know where it might be in Reaper if it exists.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

My license runs out at v4 so I've got to drop another 60 bucks to renew. Hesitant to do that yet if it's not totally necessary. I'll keep poking around.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Uh, can any of you guys recommend a synth tech or repair shop in Los Angeles that's not Advanced Musical Electronics? Some of the keys on my Virus KC don't seem to be working.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Speaking of DAW I feel really comfortable with ProTools First, really respectable limitations for a freebie. The drawbacks are that it's ProTools, it feels like it's got serious bloat taking a good time to start up on an SSD, and that it's not Reaper :v:

(PTF download just under 900 megs compressed, Reaper downloadable executable 9.9 megs. What I mainly do is record *in* and if I can replace the plugs PTF has with equal or better freebies in Reaper that'll make Reaper worth the $60 even more.)

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Reaper is so good, I can't even keep up with the sick features they keep adding because they update so fast. Reaplugs are super powerful but I think people are put off by the barebones guis, they could definitely be payware, especially readelay and reafir/reaeq.

Anyone tried that free modular environment vst from imageline? Im definitely trying once I organise my samples and do a fresh daw install for reaper 5.0 (so probably several years from now).

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

field balm posted:

Anyone tried that free modular environment vst from imageline?
I did and it's neat as a sort of equivalent to Reason's Combinator. There are a couple of flaws, which may not matter to you much. For one, it doesn't have plugin preset management as a host. It completely relies on the vsts you're using to do their own preset loading and saving. Image Line's own of course all do. A couple I wanted to use don't. Second, touch screen support is completely broken. Considering I wanted to use this as a mini host on my tablet, that sucked balls. Third, I couldn't find a way to delete automation lanes I wanted to get rid of. That may be my incompetence. I also loathe that I had to go through some convoluted registration process to even get the installer.

On the other hand, it seems fairly stable and seems to have no technical problem with any plugin I have. The flexible parameter routing, of course, is neat. You can probably do complicated things linking a couple of the basic piano rolls together to make it arpeggiate crazy poo poo. It's the only host I've found so far that can do proper low latency through wdm with on board sound chips, which would otherwise have been great on this tablet.

I didn't have great ambitions for using it as a vst plugin, so I haven't really tested that.

I stopped using it because it didn't fit my niche needs and also because I barely have an interest in crazy routing -I can't really wrap my head around a modular environment.

I think it's a good product if you can see the creative possibilities and don't rely too much on plugins that don't have their own preset management. The piano rolls are pretty basic in their setup; don't expect too much song building opportunities from them.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

I have assembled most of the kits I bought.

Orgone Accumulator: rad. I didn't have any of the problems you did, Mr. Glass. It's a fascinating oscillator. Fun to have wavetables in the modular.

Flafular Kik-8: Ok. I don't love that all of the decay is boooooooooooooom, so I'll have to mod it to get some shorter kicks too.
Flafular Hihat-8: Brilliant. Sounds perfect, love it.
Flafular Snare-8: doesn't snare. it kind of toms instead. the noise circuit isn't working and I need to debug it.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Live from the Elysian Fields

Realtalk floor (or ground) synthin is the best

The Yellow King
Jul 18, 2001

The poster formerly unknown as Mr. Gybe

Now this is the kind of drum circle I could get into.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Eurorack is the pathological degenerated end stage of a developed society. It is the tar pit of synthesis: everything is possible, but nothing is interesting.

(I will keep telling this to myself so I won't go over 3 rows of 104 hp that I set for myself as limitations)

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

I'm the 90db generator just out of shot.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
lookatthesefuckinghipsters.jpg

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

I like to think that there are no speakers, that those fuckin' dorks are just staring at their blinking lights while saying to themselves, "yeah... oh yeah... that's nice... *twiddles knob*, ahhhh... yeah...".

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Laserjet 4P posted:

Eurorack is the pathological degenerated end stage of a developed society. It is the tar pit of synthesis: everything is possible, but nothing is interesting.

(I will keep telling this to myself so I won't go over 3 rows of 104 hp that I set for myself as limitations)

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Logic X 10.2 is out today and it includes an apparently reskinned Alchemy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Communism now