Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Yeah Walker is imploding fast. He tried to fly under the radar, but when his numbers started to fall, he tried to raise his presence by unveiling a healthcare plan to replace Obamacare that looked like it'd been written on the back of a denny's placemat in crayon. Even the usually pretty neutral Journal-Sentinel's article covering it was sceptical of his "If you're young I give you 1000$ and if you're old I give you 3000$ and no one is forced to buy insurance and the insurance companies can charge whatever the hell they want" plan. He's destined for the dustbin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

JT Jag posted:

They do, but only if the same party has been given control of the Presidency and both houses of Congress. That is a pretty strong message that the American people want that party to implement some of their policies. The Democrats didn't make especially good use of the mandate they had from 2009-2011.

that's why w had no problem privatizing social security in 2005

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

pathetic little tramp posted:

Yeah Walker is imploding fast. He tried to fly under the radar, but when his numbers started to fall, he tried to raise his presence by unveiling a healthcare plan to replace Obamacare that looked like it'd been written on the back of a denny's placemat in crayon. Even the usually pretty neutral Journal-Sentinel's article covering it was sceptical of his "If you're young I give you 1000$ and if you're old I give you 3000$ and no one is forced to buy insurance and the insurance companies can charge whatever the hell they want" plan. He's destined for the dustbin.

Never underestimate the power of money to make the unpalatable palatable. Hell, that's the whole premise of the world's oldest profession.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I can't find it in the thread, why does Donald Trump want to scare the Pope?

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

EugeneJ posted:

Hint: She promised 100,000 new jobs for Upstate New York before she took office. During her 8 years as Senator the state *lost* jobs.

She didn't do poo poo.

I think the recession might have been a factor here?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tanith posted:

And also that senators don't actually have the power to create jobs if the rest of the senate isn't going to go along with your proposed spending plans.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

And also that senators don't actually have the power to create jobs if the rest of the senate isn't going to go along with your proposed spending plans.

She's a loser

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Totalizator posted:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/19/politics/donald-trump-chris-cuomo-cnn-interview/

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Totalizator posted:

1) He, Trump, is an rear end in a top hat.
2) Francis has been a wee bit critical of unrestrained capitalism of late.
3) ISIS!!! ISIS!!! ISIS!!!

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

:laffo::laffo::laffo:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Jewel Repetition posted:

That definitely wasn't me.
Given that he saw that person outdoors and in the presence of at least two other human beings, this isn't surprising.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

pathetic little tramp posted:

yeah, cuz 1000$ or 3000$ even is going to get you far with a healthcare system that can run you into bankruptcy for stubbing your toe.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Dahbadu posted:

Wrong, and here's why:

1. Sanders would be a strong bully pulpit.
2. Sanders would motivate people to vote that normally wouldn't vote, therefore would swing seats that can be swung due increased down ballot voting.

So think Obama's first term, with a mandate and a blue enough congress, in an environment where his presidency is a strong media narrative. And now replace Obama with Sanders.

Edit:

Not sure if your post was a troll post, but my answer is assuming you were serious posting.

Obama didn't have a gerrymandered-to-poo poo Congress to deal with in his first two years. States like Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida, and Wisconsin hadn't yet been redrawn to favor Republican districts that would weather any storm.

Democrats aren't taking back the House unless every Republican in it has an anger stroke and dies, and without an absolute wave election they're not getting the Senate back either.

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, “You know, a lot of the gangs that you see — this doesn’t hopefully pertain to you guys so much — when you look at Baltimore, when you look at Chicago, and Ferguson a lot of these areas. You know, a lot of these gang members are illegal immigrants. They’re gonna be gone. We’re gonna get them out so fast, out of this country. So fast.” ~ Donald Trump, turning the subtext into the text.

Just in case anyone needed reminding WHY Donald Trump would be a loving disaster as President.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Guys like Trump can never look in the loving mirror when it comes to crime and barbarism in America.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Alter Ego posted:

Democrats aren't taking back the House unless every Republican in it has an anger stroke and dies

We're working on it.

You need to meet Trump's explicit rhetoric with a new vision for the left - a continent of queer, caramel, pot-smoking cyborgs; dominating the globe.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Can't tell if this is going to affect his polling or not. I'm up 80 bucks if I pull out of trump right now on predictit. Nngh what to do

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Alter Ego posted:

Obama didn't have a gerrymandered-to-poo poo Congress to deal with in his first two years. States like Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida, and Wisconsin hadn't yet been redrawn to favor Republican districts that would weather any storm.

Democrats aren't taking back the House unless every Republican in it has an anger stroke and dies, and without an absolute wave election they're not getting the Senate back either.

I think they can take back the senate with a strong candidate. Not sure about the house.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
New York Post: Trump inspired us to beat up, pee on Hispanic man

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Alter Ego posted:

Just in case anyone needed reminding WHY Donald Trump would be a loving disaster as President.

Kind of scary isn't it. I think the thought of a Trump President scares the poo poo out the Washington establishment.

It would not make us any friends in the world, but we might gain some respect.

I'm not convinced that Trump will make it all the way to the election, he has a lot of Hubris, and I keep waiting for him to trip over it.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

fronz posted:

New York Post: Trump inspired us to beat up, pee on Hispanic man

I would think that Murdoch and the like would see that stuff like this may be a benefit for Trump in the primary. But I guess when you're desperate, you just keep throwing poo poo at a wall and hope some of it sticks.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tanith posted:

Well how does THAT help Bernie Sanders?

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Trump causes crime level to rise ITT

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The GOP is learning the hard way that money doesn't work against ultramoney.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Nintendo Kid posted:

What does this even mean?

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

EugeneJ posted:

Hint: She promised 100,000 new jobs for Upstate New York before she took office. During her 8 years as Senator the state *lost* jobs.

She didn't do poo poo.

January 3, 2001 – January 21, 2009

¿¿¿I Wonder Why???

You're right in a roundabout way about her not doing poo poo tho!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Dahbadu posted:

Fishmech

Alternately, the established cashflow systems and Republican strategy of "bury the problem in PAC money" may break down in the face of things other than "B-rock the Islamic Shock."

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dahbadu posted:

Trump's money isn't just money, it's more than money. Hence, ultramoney.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I think it means that pacs are rich, but Trump is richer

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Nessus posted:

Fishmech

Alternately, the established cashflow systems and Republican strategy of "bury the problem in PAC money" may break down in the face of things other than "B-rock the Islamic Shock."

Yeah, you're right. It's an issue of basically PAC money and oligarch influence can only go so far when the stars align, and they seem to be aligning this election and it's really refreshing! (Although I'm scared of Trump.)

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
"The brothers each have extensive criminal records, cops said. Scott Leader, 38, spent a year in jail after attacking a Moroccan man in the days after 9/11, the Globe said."

The sons of Trump. How long before someone is killed over this side show act?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Zelder posted:

I think it means that pacs are rich, but Trump is richer
The Koch brothers are richer than Trump, but probably not as willing to put their own money into the election as he is.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Nintendo Kid posted:

Are you saying the Trump is outspending the rest of them?

I don't think money is the major issue. Trump is doing well because he is saying the same things that people YELL at their TV screens on a nightly basis.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Nintendo Kid posted:

Trump's money isn't just money, it's more than money. Hence, ultramoney.

*sigh* Trump is a billionaire, but there are a bunch of billionaires (with way more wealth than Trump) behind the GOP establishment. What's going on here is that Trump is basically the strongest GOP primary candidate you can get. He's the perfect monster, and although money is great and all, it's not what is making Trump the juggernaut that he is.

Also, and I'm serious about this. I wasn't quite sure who Fishmech was up until now. I learn new things every day!

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 21, 2015

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Dahbadu posted:

Yeah, you're right. It's an issue of basically PAC money and oligarch influence can only go so far when the stars align, and they seem to be aligning this election and it's really refreshing! (Although I'm scared of Trump.)
Well PAC money can still go hella far, it's just that I guess the relative advantage of it has now been diluted. Everyone has the weapon, or defenses against it; the weapon itself therefore loses a ton of utility.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dahn posted:

Are you saying the Trump is outspending the rest of them?

I don't think money is the major issue. Trump is doing well because he is saying the same things that people YELL at their TV screens on a nightly basis.

You've been posting in here for how long and you don't get how Trump jokes work?

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

JT Jag posted:

Diet Bush

Bush Zero

New Bush

Crystal Bush

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Nintendo Kid posted:

You've been posting in here for how long and you don't get how Trump jokes work?

Shhhh ....I'm a newb.

I apologize for missing the irony.

Please continue with the Trump jokes.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Dahn posted:

Shhhh ....I'm a newb.

I apologize for missing the irony.

Please continue with the Trump jokes.
I'm friends with Dahn, I gave Dahn a lot of money, Dahn is good guy, but Dahn is killing us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

EugeneJ posted:

She didn't do poo poo.

Is there any state that hadn't lost jobs as of 2009?

• Locked thread