Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theravenpope
Feb 9, 2015
Anybody know where to get some American style pork chops in Seoul? I'm taking someone out who's been craving it, and I've personally never seen, let alone looked for any here. My first gut (no pun intended) instinct would be itaewon, but otherwise not sure what place might have some.

On a side note, I did discover that there was a battle of pork chop hill during the war. That's neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Do you speak any Korean? That's not a normal Korean cut but butchers will do it for you, that's how I got American steak cuts. If you can describe it or even show a picture and know the name of the Korean cut that includes it you should be able to.

Alternately, the Costco in Ulsan had American cuts of meat and I can't see why the Seoul one wouldn't too.

theravenpope
Feb 9, 2015
I know some, but probably not descriptive enough to explain a foreign cut to them.
You think making it myself is pretty much the only option? Is there any restaurant I can go that offers something like that?

I'm pretty much limited to exclusively pan cooking it in my tiny not-a-real-kitchen if I make it myself.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Oh it didn't even occur to me you were looking for a restaurant. I don't know but maybe one of the American BBQ places? Linus in Itaewon or Beale St. in Hongdae? They should have menus online somewhere.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

They have pork chops at Fat Alberts (formerly 3 Alley Pub) in Itaewon. They are... alright

theravenpope
Feb 9, 2015
Thanks guys. I'd call operation pork chop hill a success.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
This thread is remarkably dark for summer vacation season. Normally the longform condemnations of the country happen early February.

They didn't even mention the worst part of the country, that there are about 18 days of pleasant weather a year.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
18 everything!

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009
It turns out that I am accidentally overstaying my tourist visa whilst here (90 days) by a few days. Would I have any trouble by doing a visa run to Japan for a few days and nights and then return for about 30 days or so until I leave again?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Raphisonfire posted:

It turns out that I am accidentally overstaying my tourist visa whilst here (90 days) by a few days. Would I have any trouble by doing a visa run to Japan for a few days and nights and then return for about 30 days or so until I leave again?

I know people who have been doing this for years in a row, so I'd say "No"

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Raphisonfire posted:

It turns out that I am accidentally overstaying my tourist visa whilst here (90 days) by a few days.

You'll be in trouble because of this, unless the extra days were over a weekend or something. Probably you'll get told to go visit the side office and then the Immigration Officers will ask you some questions about it and check to make sure you're not a criminal or anything. From there, I don't know what will happen. It could be anywhere from "okay goodbye" to "you'll have to sit in a jail cell for a few days while we figure out what to do with you" depending on the circumstances.

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009

Love Stole the Day posted:

You'll be in trouble because of this, unless the extra days were over a weekend or something. Probably you'll get told to go visit the side office and then the Immigration Officers will ask you some questions about it and check to make sure you're not a criminal or anything. From there, I don't know what will happen. It could be anywhere from "okay goodbye" to "you'll have to sit in a jail cell for a few days while we figure out what to do with you" depending on the circumstances.

Yes, but with what I know, they will stamp the passport saying that I had left before the 90 days are up. Then re-stamp the passport with some new date that I must leave by when I return. Otherwise yes, I'll probably need to pay a fine or sit in a jail cell.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Raphisonfire posted:

My girlfriend overstayed her tourist visa by a few hours while visiting me, and was fined 100,000 won upon departure from ICN.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

TheImmigrant posted:

My girlfriend overstayed her tourist visa by a few hours while visiting me, and was fined 100,000 won upon departure from ICN.
:rip: but at least she only got away with 100k KRW.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Can anyone recommend a good bicycle shop in Seoul, the more English-friendly the better? Right now I just need small stuff like a helmet and gloves, but I'll be shelling out for a commuter bike later on.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
It took a week, but I finally managed to convince my school that the Korean labor laws regarding severance pay isn't secretly "an American law you are remembering wrong," which is what they tried to convince me of. Like I can't read.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
gently caress the Rules: Korea Edition

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Rules are made to be broken: Korea Edition

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009
Rules are suggestions: Korea edition

:L
Oct 28, 2004

Rules? You mean lules/lulz/lols

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

bringmyfishback posted:

It took a week, but I finally managed to convince my school that the Korean labor laws regarding severance pay isn't secretly "an American law you are remembering wrong," which is what they tried to convince me of. Like I can't read.

tbh you shouldnt even bother with that. just go to the labor board about it if they havent paid on time and once your boss gets the phone call he'll get off his rear end straight away. completely skips the back and forth and the stress.

Andro
Jun 30, 2010
drat, I won Korea. Spent 4.5 years in Gimhae. Met the girl of my dreams, but life drew me back to the U.S. Just landed a sick IB English Lit job and her parents are practically selling her to me now. See you in a few years Hong Kong IB schools with my herd of cows. BTW, Caberham, can I lease your aristocratic grazing lands for my Florida cracker and Korean Hanwoo cows?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Andro posted:

drat, I won Korea. Spent 4.5 years in Gimhae.

Well, I think you lost.

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.

Andro posted:

drat, I won Korea. Spent 4.5 years in Gimhae. Met the girl of my dreams, but life drew me back to the U.S. Just landed a sick IB English Lit job and her parents are practically selling her to me now. See you in a few years Hong Kong IB schools with my herd of cows. BTW, Caberham, can I lease your aristocratic grazing lands for my Florida cracker and Korean Hanwoo cows?

Congratulations! Just stay away from Canadian International School in HK and you really will have won!

In other news, today is a holiday? School just started for us and then all of a sudden we have a holiday on the calendar. Oh well, I get to fire up the grill and have a confused celebration.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Today is Liberation (from Japanese colonial rule) Day. Shame it had to fall on a Saturday, tho :negative:

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

We should show NK we can celebrate harder and change the timezone by 45mins!

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Onion Knight posted:

Today is Liberation (from Japanese colonial rule) Day. Shame it had to fall on Saturday, tho :negative:

That's why they made Friday a holiday. Deciding to do that on Tuesday was pretty stupid though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Waiting until the last minute to make a decision in Korea? :monocle:

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Grand Fromage posted:

Waiting until the last minute to make a decision in Korea? :monocle:
More surprised they actually made Friday temporary holiday. Most workplaces worked though.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Aesis posted:

More surprised they actually made Friday temporary holiday. Most workplaces worked though.

The holiday was to distract from that bitch Park Geunhye pardoning thousands of criminals after basing a large part of her platform during the election on not doing exactly that.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

terre packet posted:

Can anyone recommend a good bicycle shop in Seoul, the more English-friendly the better? Right now I just need small stuff like a helmet and gloves, but I'll be shelling out for a commuter bike later on.

Check out the Han River Riders group on Facebook. They'll point you in the right direction.

That said, as an aside, if anyone in Daejeon wants to know about bike shops or any biking related stuff shoot me a PM. Especially if you ride!

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

Andro posted:

I believe the rules of Korean victory require the pilfering of a Han bride to freedomland, your application for victory is under review.

Maxsmart fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 16, 2015

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I hear you're all going to die again. c/d?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer
China farted death gas over here but kimchi cures lung cancer so we'll be fine.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Unironically, I do feel like China's death gas is a more serious threat than the artillery exchange.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Whizbang posted:

China farted death gas over here but kimchi cures lung cancer so we'll be fine.

I think he means about the exchange of artillery fire and the re-deployment of landmines at the dmz.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

AmbientParadox posted:

I think he means about the exchange of artillery fire and the re-deployment of landmines at the dmz.

North Korea does poo poo like this every few years for attention, who cares?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I'm supposed to leave tomorrow and if anything stops me I will personally march across the Bridge of No Return, find Kim Jong Un, and EAT him. And promptly die of cholesterol poisoning.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

no no no but you guys they said they REALLY REALLY MEAN IT this time! Seriously! Get worried!

- every western news outlet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Onion Knight posted:

no no no but you guys they said they REALLY REALLY MEAN IT this time! Seriously! Get worried!

- every western news outlet
I did receive notification from MoD this time.