Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

They dragon claw locks can be picked...only if you're the worst leader of the worst faction of the worst questline :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
The point of traps is to use them against your enemies. When there's a few grouped together it is hilarious. Watching that idiot get ragdolled across the room a couple times like a pinball.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Duodecimal posted:

The point of traps is to use them against your enemies. When there's a few grouped together it is hilarious. Watching that idiot get ragdolled across the room a couple times like a pinball.

This dude knows what's up.

First time I did Bleak Falls Barrow and led a Draugr into that spiked wall trap I did not stop laughing for a good five minutes at how stupid they were to walk straight into it.

Imagine :fuckoff: but with Draugrs and Spiked Walls.

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

Lycus posted:

The only whale-bird-snake puzzle that I sorta liked was the one where you had to get the sequence from a book. Other than that, those puzzles were so stupid.

http://uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Yngol_Barrow

I remember that one! Up until I read the wiki page just now, I thought in addition to reading the book first, you had to be sitting on the "man" throne and then have a follower flip the switch for it to work. Now, I also only sorta like it.

Anyone remember this puzzle from Daggerfall? After taking hours to fully explore the dungeon and figure out the right combination of switches to drop the beams, your prize is to be immediately fried by a Lich that probably has 15 levels on you.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Duodecimal posted:

This was fun and all, but man Oblivion was more fun that way. Messing with the spike balls until they gained chaotic, wrathful sentience and luring bandits into them was the most fun because it's like a metal baseball and it sends 180 pound men into the air like nothing.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

TresTristesTigres posted:

Anyone remember this puzzle from Daggerfall? After taking hours to fully explore the dungeon and figure out the right combination of switches to drop the beams, your prize is to be immediately fried by a Lich that probably has 15 levels on you.

Haha; yes!

And that's why you made a custom class with absorb magic as a feature. That and also only using "area at range" spells and using them in close quarters so you're in their blast radius and you absorb your own spell's magicka back so that you get unlimited casting.

Daggerfall had pretty great old school puzzles, that is to say, frustratingly hard and mostly based on your maze-navigating skills. Contrarily to today's puzzles which are just condescendingly easy. Puzzle design today really is "if it's not blindingly obvious, players are just going to alt-tab to gamefaqs and read a walkthrough, so make all your puzzles super easy".

I also liked how the King of Worms sent messages in Daggerfall. You've got a zombiemail!

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

Daggerfall had pretty great old school puzzles, that is to say, frustratingly hard and mostly based on your maze-navigating skills. Contrarily to today's puzzles which are just condescendingly easy. Puzzle design today really is "if it's not blindingly obvious, players are just going to alt-tab to gamefaqs and read a walkthrough, so make all your puzzles super easy".
And even when you make them super easy, you'll still have players that still have to read a walkthrough: ESO has a quite a few puzzles that are pretty easy, and yet you can often see players getting electrocuted over and over when they push the wrong button or pull the wrong lever while trying to brute-force their way through them. :v:

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Every year since binging it at release I reload Skyrim with 50gb of painstakingly selected mods and shaders and play up to the end of Bleak Falls Barrow before getting bored at Whiterun and deleting it from the pc. It's probably one of the best tutorial dungeons ever and the dragon claw is part of that.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Skyrim was really fun the first time I played it, but I tried going back and starting over and I just could not get back into the game at all. It's weird since I really liked it the first time through and I can go back and just play a shitload of Morrowind whenever the desire strikes, but if I want to play Skyrim, I get 20 minutes in and no further. Oh well.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

1 800 J JAMES posted:

Every year since binging it at release I reload Skyrim with 50gb of painstakingly selected mods and shaders and play up to the end of Bleak Falls Barrow before getting bored at Whiterun and deleting it from the pc. It's probably one of the best tutorial dungeons ever and the dragon claw is part of that.

Bleak Falls Barrow is one of the only times the Draugr dungeon design makes sense. The door is locked, so outside there's just spiders and bandits, while all the Draugr are locked inside behind the claw door.

Just don't think about the fact that all dungeons apparently have a convenient backdoor to the beginning.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Bleak Falls Barrow is one of the only times the Draugr dungeon design makes sense. The door is locked, so outside there's just spiders and bandits, while all the Draugr are locked inside behind the claw door.

Just don't think about the fact that all dungeons apparently have a convenient backdoor to the beginning.

The draugr actually start showing up long before the claw door. In fact, the claw door only blocks off the final room with the word wall.

And convenient backdoors are certainly better than trudging all the way back through the dungeon.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Praetorian Mage posted:

And convenient backdoors are certainly better than trudging all the way back through the dungeon.

Yeah, thats one particular immersion-breaker I'll forgive. Plua at least most of the time in Skyrim it was some sort of secret door you have to open unlike a lot in oblivion where the dungeon just looped around to a ledge over the entrance

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Duodecimal posted:

Yes.

Back in the day, someone posted this in one of the skyrim threads of the old subforum:

I let the same thing happen when I got to that point. My Draugr ended up surviving all of that. In the end, he was knocked down a floor and straight into a closet.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Nth Doctor posted:

Yes.

Back in the day, someone posted this in one of the skyrim threads of the old subforum:

I let the same thing happen when I got to that point. My Draugr ended up surviving all of that. In the end, he was knocked down a floor and straight into a closet.

At least the draugr have an excuse for being so stupid, being mindless undead and all.

Lydia, on the other hand...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTMwjYgJsFQ

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
The big problem with bleak falls barrow is it buggers up the story if you go there before nerd wizard guy asks you to go there (by going into the riverwood trader instead of running straight to whiterun), because you never see the mysterious woman come to collect it

i'm fairly sure i've seen reviews where that happened to them and they say that the dragonstone is a pointless maguffin that has nothing to do with the rest of the story

vug fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 20, 2015

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

vug posted:

The big problem with bleak falls barrow is it buggers up the story if you go there before nerd wizard guy asks you to go there (by going into the riverwood trader instead of running straight to whiterun), because you never see the mysterious woman come to collect it

i'm fairly sure i've seen reviews where that happened to them and they say that the dragonstone is a pointless maguffin that has nothing to do with the rest of the story

You just miss out on a bit of foreshadowing. When you first meet Delphine she says "Hey, weren't you the one who found this originally?"

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

vug posted:

Wait, what?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Nth Doctor posted:

Wait, what?

If you visit Dragonsreach before picking up the Dragonstone, you'll hear a Very Mysterious Woman talking to Farengar about an Important Artifact she needs. The woman is Delphine and the artifact is the Dragonstone. It doesn't happen often because most of us go to Bleak Falls Barrow before heading to Whiterun, either because of the Golden Claw quest, or just because it's the first big, tempting ruin you see.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

vug posted:

If you ask what it is, Farengar will tell you it's a map of ancient dragon burial sites, so whether you see Delphine there or not, you ought to be able to put two and two together when you do finally meet her and she's got a map of dragon burial sites.

GrumpyDoctor posted:

If you visit Dragonsreach before picking up the Dragonstone, you'll hear a Very Mysterious Woman talking to Farengar about an Important Artifact she needs. The woman is Delphine and the artifact is the Dragonstone. It doesn't happen often because most of us go to Bleak Falls Barrow before heading to Whiterun, either because of the Golden Claw quest, or just because it's the first big, tempting ruin you see.

You're talking about when you return with the dragonstone if you didn't have it the first time you got to Whiterun, right? Or is there another meeting between them?

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 20, 2015

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
Going back and playing Morrowind again today. For a long time playing this, I would always release the slaves when I could, but one time I accidentally clicked on no and the Khajiit was like "you have the key, will you let me go free?" No(oops) "badaargo is sorry, please do not punish poor badaargo", and something clicked and I lost all sympathy for them.

Dammit, slaves, quit leaving scratch marks on the bed posts and quit running around without your clothes after you relieve yourselves!!!

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

GrumpyDoctor posted:

Who the gently caress is delphine? I swear i've played skyrim for over 200 hours but i can't remember a single name

Because the stories and npcs are all bad, yaknow

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Krowley posted:

Who the gently caress is delphine? I swear i've played skyrim for over 200 hours but i can't remember a single name

The lady who wants you to kill Paarthurnax.

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

Cat Mattress posted:

I also liked how the King of Worms sent messages in Daggerfall. You've got a zombiemail!
Yeah I wish there was some kind of Bethesda Puzzle Difficulty compromise for TESVI. Maybe put optional content behind semirandomized, superhard Daggerfall type puzzles, and leave the snake/whale/eagle type puzzles for the main quests. But to be fair I thought Skyrim did have some nice puzzles in the Aetherium Shards quest.

TESII Mannimarco was truly a pioneer. And then you've got Raminus Polus sending Lex a Dremoragram in TESIV. Goddam wizards.

Cat Mattress posted:

And that's why you made a custom class with absorb magic as a feature. That and also only using "area at range" spells and using them in close quarters so you're in their blast radius and you absorb your own spell's magicka back so that you get unlimited casting.

Ah piss now I have to figure out how to run Daggerfall in dosbox again

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

My Q-Face posted:

If you ask what it is, Farengar will tell you it's a map of ancient dragon burial sites, so whether you see Delphine there or not, you ought to be able to put two and two together when you do finally meet her and she's got a map of dragon burial sites.

I think she even outright tells you she used the Dragonstone to make her map if you ask her how she came to her conclusions.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

TresTristesTigres posted:

Ah piss now I have to figure out how to run Daggerfall in dosbox again

Nah just go here and download daggerfallsetup.exe

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Files

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Krowley posted:

She's the important lady who is NOT voiced by Susan Ivanova.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
She's the creepy lady that invites you into her secret basement because you can suck dragons souls

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Nasgate posted:

She's the creepy lady that invites you into her secret basement because you can suck dragons souls

That reminds me: Does anyone else feel like the Elder Scrolls games are too casual with souls? Normally you'd have to go to some kind of existential horror story to see as much fuckery with a being's immortal essence as you find in the Elder Scrolls universe.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

vug posted:

This is a good thing actually, because in every single other dungeon in the game, if there is a quest thing inside, it will be completely locked or walled off until you talk to the right dude. Sure, they could have laid it out better so that you have a better chance of getting the encounter, but talking to npcs to unlock quests is annoying and lazy.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I think it's a bit hyperbolic to say it buggers up the story. I've did the barrow first my first time, and I didn't give the dragonstone a second thought. I saw the Delphine scene on a later playthrough, I didn't miss anything.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

Praetorian Mage posted:

That reminds me: Does anyone else feel like the Elder Scrolls games are too casual with souls? Normally you'd have to go to some kind of existential horror story to see as much fuckery with a being's immortal essence as you find in the Elder Scrolls universe.
Well, they're just nugget style chunklets chipped off the oversouls of the Aedra anyway (dragon souls being Aka tenders). They're a nutritious and delicious power source. It's only natural they're gonna get sucked up to power swords, armor, etc. And you can't blame the Daedra for wanting such a tasty morsel from time to time.

If it makes you feel better once everything else, all thought and memory and emotion is burned away all the emptied out souls fly off to the edge of the universe, get scraped clean and autoclaved pure, then sent back into Nirn for another go round (maybe... it's not 100% clear what happens to souls trapped in Daedric realms and that's not getting into Talos & Vivec, who started off with at least one mortal soul)

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
But but but the Soul Cairn :supaburn:

wtf was that anyway

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Souls and soul gems are pretty interesting and terrifying in the Elder Scrolls.
Spoilers for some nest stuff related to the ESO main story;

It's stated that Molag Bal is really eager to learn more about soul gems, which was interesting to me. And Mannimarco's big plan is to betray Molag Bal, kill him, and use the Amulet of Kings (which he insists is actually the biggest soul gem in existence) to steal his soul and achieve godhood. Like Mankar Cameran, Mannimarco is probably wrong about quite a few things, but its still interesting to hear.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Rough Lobster posted:

Souls and soul gems are pretty interesting and terrifying in the Elder Scrolls.
Spoilers for some nest stuff related to the ESO main story;

(which he insists is actually the biggest soul gem in existence) .

It was a soul gem, at least. The first Empress was in it until Martin went super-saiyan on Dagon.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Will Jiub just hang around in Purple Farltand until the Ninth era or is there any kind recycler in the Soul Cairn?

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Another game where souls and soul gems play an important role is in Redguard where Prince A'tor had his soul (mostly)willingly placed into a soul gem to "survive" his body being poisoned during a pivotal battle against Tiber Septim forces, so that he could later have his body cured and his soul imbued back so that he could take up arms again.
Needless to say, things don't exactly go to plan, but he still manages to help the protagonist, Cyrus.

Who's apparently an important character in C0DA, but I haven't read it so I don't know for certain. :v:

Col. Roy Campbell
Dec 19, 2008

So I tried Daggerfall now that it's freeware and able to run on modern systems and...

Died on the first rat because I didn't know you had to hold down the attack button and move your mouse. After I figured that out I conquered my old foe and died to a bat.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Daggerfall is pretty cool but it is really rough in this day and age. Good luck.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

At the same time, the project to remake Daggerfall in Unity is apparently going surprisingly well.

http://www.dfworkshop.net/category/daggerfall-tools/daggerfall-unity/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Col. Roy Campbell posted:

So I tried Daggerfall now that it's freeware and able to run on modern systems and...

Died on the first rat because I didn't know you had to hold down the attack button and move your mouse. After I figured that out I conquered my old foe and died to a bat.

Assuming you ever make it to the third monster I hope you didn't gently caress up your characters background choices.