Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

The Muffinlord posted:

Well, then I wouldn't have shared the pictures with my co-workers.

Well maybe with HR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Having to deal with Sharepoint mapping issues blows when you've been given no information or training regarding the site's Sharepoint site/server/library/anything. Covering for guys on vacation can be such a drag.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

Guess what printer doesn't support scanning in XP?

I'm assuming your station doesn't have a custom support contract with Microsoft for those XP machines? You do realize the enormous security hole you're creating by having any deployed?

The appropriate way to deal with XP issues in TYOL 2015 is disabling the boot partition.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

I thought the best way to deal with XP was to throw it out the drat window.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

custom support contract with Microsoft?

Hi, I'm larchesdanrew, you must be new here.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I'm assuming your station doesn't have a custom support contract with Microsoft for those XP machines? You do realize the enormous security hole you're creating by having any deployed?

The appropriate way to deal with XP issues in TYOL 2015 is disabling the boot partition.

The station I'm working at is also full of XP machines that will never get upgraded.

Welcome to cheap assholes running businesses.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

Hi, I'm larchesdanrew, you must be new here.

diskpart
sel vol c
inactive

hth

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I'm assuming your station doesn't have a custom support contract with Microsoft for those XP machines?

He isn't working for the Navy...

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

larchesdanrew posted:

If I wasn't already tied down by a marriage and two kids, I'd be all over it. She's a gorgeous, latino, and is weirdly humble for someone in her line of work. We spent a while discussing the Final Fantasy VII remake after I fixed her issue. I think I made my first work friend, guys :unsmith:

Content: The receptionist needed a new printer, and the GM requested an MFP so she can scan viewer mail, contest entries, etc... I picked one out that would suit her perfectly and handed the P.O. to my supervisor. The printer arrives today, but it's not what I picked out. It's a refurbished HP. I asked him in the kindest way "what the loving poo poo" and he said it was cheaper and better.

Guess what printer doesn't support scanning in XP? I will be shoving him so far under the bus on this one I'll probably need a stick to push him under further.

tell him to :dealwithit: :frogc00l:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Excellent post/avatar combo.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Last week I was installing hardware at two of our sites for this NextGen go-live. Minimum of three additional printers are going in at each site, two label and one plain paper. Of note here is that the plain paper printer and one of the label printers were supplied by our lab company, so the label stock reads Quest on it and the plain paper printer firmware is custom so every print job prints out with Quest Care360 at the top of the page. The printers and the supplies are free, all from the lab company. It's been a complete headache supporting these since they are just cheap and the label printer (Dymo) isn't even networked. But it's what Medical wants so ok fine.

Anyway, at this remote site they wanted these lab printers to go in the lab. But there isn't any space in the lab, so instead the manager tells me to install them just outside the doorway to the lab, on top of a shred box. Around the corner from that shred box is the main printer for the entire clinic, maybe 3ft away. So, knowing this...

Today, one day after go-live, manager of the site sends us an email. They need a plain paper printer that DOESNT print 'Quest Care360' at the tops of pages because they are using it for things other than labs! And they don't want to walk all the way to the front (3ft away) to get print outs from the other printer that already exists. The solution, proposed by them, is to install the lab printer in the lab (where there is no room) and put in its place a plain paper printer. That would mean the lab printer would be maybe 4ft from the new plain paper printer, which itself would be 3ft from the already existing plain paper printer. Three printers within 10ft of each other. For a site with only 5 full-time staff.

We still have 12 sites to go. :shepicide:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Sirotan posted:

And they don't want to walk all the way to the front (3ft away) to get print outs from the other printer that already exists.

Install both printers, move them incrementally closer to each other by an inch or two a day until they're right next to each other, then remove one of them and claim they underwent reverse mitosis when you weren't looking.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

If I wasn't already tied down by a marriage and two kids, I'd be all over it. She's a gorgeous, latino, and is weirdly humble for someone in her line of work. We spent a while discussing the Final Fantasy VII remake after I fixed her issue. I think I made my first work friend, guys :unsmith:

Worked for Don Draper.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Ursine Asylum posted:

Install both printers, move them incrementally closer to each other by an inch or two a day until they're right next to each other, then remove one of them and claim they underwent reverse mitosis when you weren't looking.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

anthonypants posted:

Excellent post/avatar combo.

This isn't TFR.

I'm dead serious. Anyone running XP in their environment is exposing themselves in ways that would make upgrading look dirt cheap in hindsight. You should start pushing a plan to migrate asap up your chain of management.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 20, 2015

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This isn't TFR.

I'm dead serious. Anyone running XP in their environment is exposing themselves in ways that would make upgrading look dirt cheap in hindsight. You should start pushing a plan to migrate asap up your chain of management.
Everyone here knows that. We also know that this is a futile suggestion because we've all been following his story.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

vibur posted:

Everyone here knows that. We also know that this is a futile suggestion because we've all been following his story.

It actually sounds like his GM is a pretty reasonable guy, and larchesdanrew has been bypassing his supervisor lately anyway.

But even if you're in a place where it's not going to happen, it's a good idea to have pushed a plan to get off XP in writing with all the warnings about it not being supported, not possible to secure, etc. That way when you get hit by something you at least have something to point at if anyone accuses you of poor security.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 20, 2015

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Actually, I mentioned awhile back that I had convinced the GM to budget for computer upgrades for all users still running XP.

In fact, final round of budget cuts for the upcoming year concluded last week and my upgrades made it :unsmith:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It actually sounds like his GM is a pretty reasonable guy, and larchesdanrew has been bypassing his supervisor lately anyway.

But even if you're in a place where it's not going to happen, it's a good idea to have pushed a plan to get off XP in writing with all the warnings about it not being supported, not possible to secure, etc. That way when you get hit by something you at least have something to point at if anyone accuses you of poor security.
Just imagine the freakout this guy is going to have when he sees someone post about how they have to turn off UAC or give a user admin privileges.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This isn't TFR.

I'm just going to lol at anyone thinking there aren't VAST swaths of companies still using XP because they're too cheap/shortsighted/whatever to upgrade. I work client-facing support for a SAAS product, and the amount of XP machines I still see is mindblowing. I'm trying to convince our dev team to implement ~something~ that would cause us not to work with XP, but approximately 20% of our client base is still running it, so it likely wouldn't go well. Many businesses/companies/people are just 100% out of it and have no clue how bad XP is and why they need to get off of it, and many of them don't want to listen to IT or just don't even have "real" IT.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
A call came in to my manager from our uber-bitch never satisfied client (that I think I've complained about here and the TPS thread)

:siren: DING DONG THE oval office IS GONE :siren:

Our manager called me and my partner engineer and his first words were "Don't take this personally, but..."

Turned out Ms. McTwatwaffle complained yet again about something that was fixed but wasn't done up to her standards or whatever. Boss met with her and the account manager, explained that she'd had 4 different pairs of engineers assigned to her account and we felt like she'd never be happy, regardless of the amount of work we did or how quickly problems were fixed. Decision was made to sort-of amicably part ways, she was surprisingly not a complete bitch about it. We still have a 30 day window to get our admin accounts removed, update and send login/config info for all their switches and servers, and hand any keys back for building access.

Today was a good day, I already started getting information together to get her the gently caress out of our hair (or in my case, lack of) and off to someone else that she can torture. You couldn't pry the smile off my face with a loving crowbar right now and my coworkers all wonder why I'm so happy. :)

E: edited to sound less overtly sexual, because this lady is not only a bitch but an enormous hamgoblin, and that's just nasty

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 21, 2015

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Wonderful. Finally find out why the script to map Sharepoint drives isn't working; thanks for that Microsoft. Now I get to retool another script to do it, but know none of the Sharepoint specifics to point it towards. Hooray for five minute jobs that quickly turn into half an hour because of having to look for stuff.

(This isn't really that bad but it's a slow day and I'm tremendously impatient because the coffee machine is broken)

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Ozz81 posted:

Boss met with her and the account manager, explained that she'd been passed around to at least 8 engineers and we felt like we'd never be able to satisfy her.

The genitalia-focused language prior to this sentence gave it a weird tenor for me

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Wonderful. Finally find out why the script to map Sharepoint drives isn't working; thanks for that Microsoft. Now I get to retool another script to do it, but know none of the Sharepoint specifics to point it towards. Hooray for five minute jobs that quickly turn into half an hour because of having to look for stuff.

(This isn't really that bad but it's a slow day and I'm tremendously impatient because the coffee machine is broken)

Care to share the reason?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

RadicalR posted:

Probably something to do with the plumbing or electrical.

Have you tried lubricating the valves?

How old is the heating element?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

RadicalR posted:

I didn't spend enough time to pinpoint exactly what it is in the interest of fixing it today, but it seems to be a change in the path structure or some such thing causing my script to do a sweet load of gently caress all. The Sharepoint is obviously O365 so they can do poo poo like that. I've found another one but have to rewrite a large chunk of it specifically for this company; meaning I probably will not have this fixed today.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
If you absolutely can't trick the idiots into getting rid of XP, it's worth it to apply the registry fix that makes it appear to be a POSReady 2009 install and continue to get updates until 2019. I don't think it works on XP Home but if you're using that at work you have even bigger problems.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Segmentation Fault posted:

Worked for Don Draper.

Ultimately no it didn't. The only women he remained in good terms with were the ones he didn't sleep with.

So I guess I'm saying that if it can't work for John Hamm, it's not working for him either.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Don't poo poo where you eat.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I'm sorry if you have never banged on the kitchen table/counter/floor/stove/dishwasher/etc

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

I'm sorry if you have never banged on the kitchen table/counter/floor/stove/dishwasher/etc

Also, I occasionally eat in bed.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

The Fool posted:

Also, I occasionally eat in bed.
Yea man, me too!

Hooooo yeah

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Do shower beers count for this particular thought exercise?

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

We still have a depressing amount of PCs running XP because our upgrade budget was removed a few years ago. All the departments are supposed to purchase their own upgrades through IT. But of course most of them don't bother, and don't understand why having Dell Optiplex 755s and GX620's, and d830's is a huge liability. Not all the machines capable of running Windows 7 have been upgraded either, because I.T. has no authority here and can't force people to upgrade if they want to keep XP.

Lately we've been declaring any of the above machines as beyond repair when something goes wrong with them, regardless of how trivial the actual issue is. If they're not willing to pay for a replacement they get a VDI, assuming all the software they run works in VMware. This strategy has been working pretty well so far. People loving hate VDIs with a passion, even if their use case if perfect for VDI.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

neogeo0823 posted:

Anybody who would ever hold a shower beer against you in any way is a monster.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

neogeo0823 posted:

If you think shower beer is amazing just wait until you have a poo poo smoke.

Alternatively, a poo poo coffee if you're not a filthy nicotine addict.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Dillbag posted:

I've had a poo poo scotch, and that was fantastic.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I bath boozed the other day. Fireball whiskey and red cream soda. Then I took a nap in the tub until the water was nearly cold.

What a good day that was.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Dillbag posted:

Whenever I'm in the States I find it impossible to find anything but poo poo coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Alright guys, I need some help.

Right before I came onboard, we moved from WebHelpdesk to CA Service Desk. This has been one persons pet project, and... so far it's been a nightmare. Between CA putting us on a beta version instead of the version they demo'd for us, and the HUGE limitations in customization and organization, and all the dropdowns having to query a server every time they want to populate...

We need to find a better solution. I've suggested ZenDesk, but I was told it's too expensive per-user.

Note, I'm working for a non-profit, and despite the fact that all 250 employees are on freaking Macbook Airs, we apparently can't afford Zendesk licenses for 6 people.

So somebody toss me suggestions for cheap ticketing software that allows for easy running of reports and decent customization ability. I mean, I love the person who is working on getting CA set up, she's an awesome person, but I think the VP of tech is stuck on the Sunk Costs Fallacy. At this point, she's not been working on tickets for MONTHS because she's been spending all her time getting the ticketing system to work. At some point the savings from CA dissipated into the time she has spent on it.

• Locked thread