Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

DJ Dizzy posted:

Guys... apparently my mechanicus are more cheesy than necrons. Halp.

what did they do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Nothing. The idea of 36 grav shots at range 30 is too much apparently.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
that does sound a fun thing to throw across the board though. i only have a squad of vanguards and a squad of veterans to play chapter serfs for my blood angels, but their volume of fire is always most pleasing.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Yeah well, BS3, nonrerollable and +4 armor isnt the greatest thing, and at 55 points a pop.

Needs more skulls.

DJ Dizzy fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 20, 2015

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

DJ Dizzy posted:

Yeah well, BS3, nonrerollable and +4 armor isnt the greatest thing, and at 55 points a pop.

Needs more skulls.

I like the new Chaos skullfort. They went full He-Man and made their own Castle Greyskull.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I think it's ridiculous tbh. They've gone full Fisher Price. I mean everyone knows the 'millions of skulls' aesthetic is ridiculous but as long as the skulls are all 28mm scale I suppose they can still claim to be making miniatures. That thing is covered with non-miniature sized decoration, which imo makes it just a toy.

(I know they're all just toys, shut up)

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
It is ridiculous, but in that Warhammer way I absolutely love. The fact you can assemble the wall pieces to make a giant Chaos star is awesome. And out of scale skulls has been a Warhams terrain thing forever; the Temple of Skulls (sadly OOP) was built around giant skulls and that's a great piece of terrain.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Skulls is such a warhammer thing that in 8th edition fluff, they were part of natural rock formations.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Battle Report Time!

A planet is under attack by Tyranids. Two platoons of Imperial Guard have heeded the call. The survival of the planet is at stake, but so is honor. Who can claim greater glory for the destruction of the Tyranid Fleet? The brave Cadians lead by the great Commissar Yarrick, or the ruthless Death Korps of Krieg?

The rules are simple. The board is divided Hammer and Anvil style. In the middle 18 inches of the board, Tyranids are placed, equal to the total points of the two combined Imperial Guard armies. We did 1250 each, so 2500 points of nids. In the very center is a Tervigon with regeneration, the acting HQ of the army. Each player takes turn placing a Tyranid unit. Once this is complete, players roll off to choose sides and must deploy within 18 inches of their own short edge. Players must deploy at least half of the units in their army.

The goal is kill points on the Tyranids. Kill a Tyranid unit, get a kill point. Line-breaker and First Blood are not used, however, slay the warlord is worth 2 points, making the kill on the Tervigon worth 3 total. A game turn consists of 3 turns. Player 1 goes, then player 2, then the Tyranids. The Tyranid units act simply. They will always move straight towards the nearest enemy unit. If able, they will shoot their guns at that unit. Then in the assault phase, if able, will attempt to assault the nearest enemy unit. (usual rules apply). If a unit is out of both shooting and assault range, it will run in the shooting phase. Should a unit fall back, it does so towards the Tervigon. If the Tervigon is slain, retreating units will run towards the nearest board edge. The Tervigon never moves, but will shoot. It will spawn termagants every turn, even if it rolled doubles on a previous turn. Roll a scatter die. The spawned termagants will all spawn in that direction out of the Tervigon. The Tervigon will only attempt to cast Dominion, and will only attempt to deny psychic powers that target Tyranids. It is recommended against taking any other Tyranids with psychic powers.

I was using Death Korps of Krieg, with a single unit of Catachan Veterans. Puck had his Cadian force, with a big squad of Ogryn. I win the roll-off to pick sides, and to go first.

Turn 1

The Death Korps take first turn. Cadians attempt to seize but are unsuccessful. There is little movement on the Death Korps side. They move a Leman Russ forward just a tad, but it immobilizes itself on a crater. A squad of Tyranid Raveners looms close and dangerous. The Death Korps are highly unsuccessful at shooting them, and must use their Wyverns to finish them off. The Eradicator kills a few hormagaunts, but overall it’s not a highly successful turn.

The Cadians hold back, keeping their army back for the most part. The Tyranids are out of effective range of most of their weaponry. The artillery battery, ignoring cover with an order, easily wipes out a squad of hive guard, but does little else.

The nids have a successful turn. The gargoyles charge forward towards the cadians and wipe out a veteran squad in assault. The carnifexes move forward, but are unable to accomplish anything with their shooting. The remaining hive guard put a single glance onto the hell hound. The two Trygons move towards the Death Korps while the Dimachaeron moves towards the Cadians. A Trygon makes a 10 inch charge on the immobilized leman russ and easily makes it blow up. The genestealers make a long charge into the ogryns.

Turn 2

The Death Korp plasma veteran squad and command squad disembark from their chimeras. With a bit of bring it down, they easily massacre the Trygon that had killed the leman russ. The hell hound cooks up Termagants that had been spawned. The Wyverns target the 20 man devourer gant squad and wipe them out.

The Cadians, heavily tied up with the genestealers, again don’t accomplish much. They fire much at the gargoyles and end up wiping them out, but after some lucky saves, end up having to fire several squads to finish them off. The genestealers and ogryn whittle each other down. A veteran squad fires all it has at the oncoming Dimachaeron, but fail to do anything.

The Tyranids press forward. The carnifexes both achieve a charge. One on a leman russ eradicator, easily destroying it, the other charging into the ogryns and doing a single wound to Yarrick. The remaining hive guard shoot at, and wreck, a chimera holding melta vets with demolitions. The hormagaunts fail their charge at the vets, but the Trygon does not. However, having to go over terrain proves to be fatal for the Trygon, as it takes 6 melta bombs to the face and grants the Death Korps another kill point, but not before killing 4 of them.

Turn 3

The Death Korps focus on the looming threat of the Hive Guard and Hormagaunts. The shooting is mediocre, and it takes the whole of the army to take down the hive guard and hormagaunts. The Hellhound targets a single hive guard, but places the torrent so it could hit 5 hormagaunts. It kills the Hive Guard, and rolls a Yahtzee of 1s to wound the hormagaunts. The vet squad puts a few wounds on the Carnifex, but leaves it at one wound.

The Cadians aim their hydras at the Carnifex and finish it off. The artillery kills all but 3 of the termagants spawned in the previous turn. In close combat, they end up defeating the genestealers and Carnifex, but kill neither. The genestealers break and run, while the ogryns pile in to the Carnifex.

The Tyranids are running out of units quickly. The Dimachaeron however is hungry and it begins to eat. It charges in and massacres a Cadian veteran squad, but leaves 2 alive, who manage to stick to combat. The ogryns and Carnifex battle, and with Yarricks help, finish it off.

Turn 4

The Death Korps lay into the 3 remaining termagants with wyvern fire, getting an excessive kill point. They lay in the rest of their fire to a unit of spawned gaunts and finish it off. They then lay into the tervigon, but only do a single wound.

The Cadians fire what they have at the genestealers and wipe them out. They fire what they have at the Tervigon, but the artillery scatters and it is mostly unhurt.

The Dimachaeron charges the hydras and blows them up easily.

Turn 5

The Death Korp murder a unit of spawned guants with wyvern and hellhound fire. The rest of the units lay everything into the tervigon. Plasma and melta all now in 12 inches of it. The tervigon, unable to make cover saves, dies. Leaving the death korps side of the table empty of Tyranids.

The Cadians do what little they can against the Dimachaeron, but only manage a couple wounds on it.

The dimachaeron then charges the artillery and easily wipes it out.

Turn 6

The Death Korps open a bottle of Champaign and sit back, wondering if their Cadian friends can deal with the single massive Tyranid eating their back lines.

They could not. The little shooting they had left did nothing. The Dimachaeron charges the veteran squad and kills many of them, but the survivors roll double 1s and stick.

Turn 7

The Death Korps would have liked to save their Cadian friends, but the Dimachaeron was locked in combat and they could do nothing.

The remaining ogryn charge into the combat. In the final two round of combat, the Dimachaeron manages to finish off all of the remaining Cadians, with the final blow of turn 7 ending Yarrick’s life.

The Death Korps win a hollow victory. The Tyranid threat has been suppressed, but at the loss of the brave Cadian soldiers.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Get some light in that gooncave. Holy poo poo.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Safety Factor posted:

Get some light in that gooncave. Holy poo poo.

been in dat gooncave

you dont want to see more

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Aw hells yeah. That's a cool scenario, twig, i'm forwarding that to my tyranid friend. That's for the batrep!

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Hey. I like my creepy basement. How can you not enjoy a game of warhammer in a dank, murky place?

(It's well lit. The flash fucks up the lighting)

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Naramyth posted:

you dont want to see more

Now I do.

Show me your bunker.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SRM posted:

I like the new Chaos skullfort. They went full He-Man and made their own Castle Greyskull.

Needs the slime though. Did it glow in the dark? Cause I had bed sheets with it and it glowed in the dark.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
It took what felt like forever, but I finished up the Devastators!

This squad was fun to paint. The new kits have so many little details to work through and there's just so much to paint on them, but I really do like the look of them. I also had to use some old bits I had on hand to flesh out the squad and give it some ablative wounds. My favorite guy is actually the bolter dude on the far right in the front row; with the giant Forgeworld shoulder pad and Mk. III armor he just looks so grumpy. I also really liked doing the freehand squad markings on these guys; it was easier than I thought it was and I'm pretty pleased with the results.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Those are some cool devastators, but what's going on with your bases?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Thanks! But what do you mean? They're just resin bases from Dragonforge.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
So, is zenithal priming really only possible with a combination of spray cans or an airbrush? I understand that those tools would provide the best possible transitions from black to grey to white, but I don't understand why it can't be done with a paintbrush and careful blending.

I ask this only because having an airbrush is not something I can use in the limited space I have where I live and using spray cans is often problematic too.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I see absolutely no reason why it wouldn't work - it's just easier with an airbrush or spraycan. If I wanted to go with a 'zenithal priming' method by hand, I'd likely prime the mini black or gray and then drybrush it with a couple of different shades of successively lighter gray and maybe white before actually painting it. You'd have to use very thin translucent coats with the 'actual' paint, of course.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

SRM posted:

Thanks! But what do you mean? They're just resin bases from Dragonforge.

Maybe it's just the perspective, but I think they look abnormally tall. They don't look bad or anything, it's just off enough to my eyes that I can't stop noticing it.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
You can totally do it with a regular brush, but the whole point behind a zenithal prime is to save you time. If you aren't using a rattlecan or airbrush you're better off just blending the colors by hand after a mono color prime.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

drgnvale posted:

Maybe it's just the perspective, but I think they look abnormally tall. They don't look bad or anything, it's just off enough to my eyes that I can't stop noticing it.

They're thicker than normal plastic bases. Check out their website sometime though because they've got some really neat stuff, especially for larger models like knights and MCs.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

ghetto wormhole posted:

They're thicker than normal plastic bases. Check out their website sometime though because they've got some really neat stuff, especially for larger models like knights and MCs.

Yeah, they're taller but not by much. It's a matter of a millimeter or three.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Assuming I am going to play these Tau since trading them seems like a giant hassle, I have a couple questions:

1.) Are they supposed to be getting a new book soon?
2.) Is Farsight Enclaves any good, and do I need the base codex to use them?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

A Fancy Bloke posted:

Assuming I am going to play these Tau since trading them seems like a giant hassle, I have a couple questions:

1.) Are they supposed to be getting a new book soon?
2.) Is Farsight Enclaves any good, and do I need the base codex to use them?

No one has any real clue as to what's coming out after Age of Sigmar finishes making GBS threads itself.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Slimnoid posted:

No one has any real clue as to what's coming out after Age of Sigmar finishes making GBS threads itself.

After many years of requesting GW to advance the loving plot, having seen AoS.

I really hope they don't advance the 40k plot.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Hmm, the previous Chaos codex came out in 2012, I guess it's not so bad that a new one is likely on the way. Maybe they'll fix baffling things like: Obliterators get to take assault cannons but not reaper autocannons, dreadnaughts Helbrutes can take regular autocannons but not assault cannons. Defilers have a gigantic model with a huge autocannon piece but it's a reaper autocannon?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Post 9-11 User posted:

Hmm, the previous Chaos codex came out in 2012, I guess it's not so bad that a new one is likely on the way. Maybe they'll fix baffling things like: Obliterators get to take assault cannons but not reaper autocannons, dreadnaughts Helbrutes can take regular autocannons but not assault cannons. Defilers have a gigantic model with a huge autocannon piece but it's a reaper autocannon?

Assault cannons are a post-heresy invention, so I'm not really sure why Obliterators can use them, but they're weird techno-mercenaries so someone probably paid them in assault cannons at some point. The autocannon on Defilers is a twin-linked autocannon, which is exactly what a Reaper is. That aside, Chaos is due for an update. I don't get how Eldar get two codices in as many years and Chaos got theirs almost three years ago. I like the current Chaos codex but there's the potential for so much more from it.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I just wanna see more unique close combat weapons. Only having three unique CCWs for an army that's defined by its wacky, outlandish demonic poo poo seems kinda lame.

At the very least CSM ICs should have access to most of the wargear from the Black Legion, Crimson Slaughter, and Daemons codices. Also the D6 rewards/abilities nonsense should be gotten rid of

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

I'd like to see some more heavy tanks and land raider variants, something to let CSM feel more like a legion than a marine chapter with half the options removed. It's always bugged me that the Imperium's described as a technologically stagnant where innovation is bad, but marine chapters crap out a new land raider whenever they feel like it. Meanwhile the CSM are stuck using the same poo poo version they've had for the last 10,000 years.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I think the D66 rewards table is really fun, even if most of the time I roll up unworthy offering or something totally useless, like Shred on my guy with lightning claws. If it was just a 1-12 chart I think it would be more useful. I also think Berserkers should get chainaxes for free and maybe bump up the points cost of the models by 1 or something. Maybe Ignite Memories has a different opinion on that thought :getin:

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Whenever I paint up a new CSM HQ, whether it's a sorcerer or a special character, the first reward I always roll turns him into a spawn, every goddamn time. And it's hilarious.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Helbrutes need 4 attacks, and Chaos need drop pods in the main codex, or preferably a Land Raider Crusader. I want to be able to get more Zerkers into close combat. Also icons should be useful for zerkers, thousand sons and so on, and possibly be not be granted by one model only so they don't need to be modelled/tracked. Ideally there should be Chapter Tactics and way more fluff and stories in the codex - the second edition was stuffed with fluff on all the traitor legions. Though the current one does have more fluff for ideas for renegade chapters. Warp Talons need to be useful. More fun stuff you can do with cultist heavy armies. Fantasy world, but something that would let some units deep strike and assault on the same turn.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Regular CSM need some sort of boost to make them worth taking; as a troops choice they're lackluster in pretty much everything, as they're just SMs without ATSKNF or Fearless. Why take them when you can get any of the Cult troops, three out of four of which are viable choices (sorry TKsons, you're hot garbage).

Having the Undivided mark back would help with that, I think; getting to reroll Morale/Pinning tests would at least make them more likely to stay put. VotLW giving a Legion-specific bonus ala the 3.5 book would be pretty rad too--Night Lords getting Infiltrate on units that purchased it, Iron Warriors getting Tank Hunter, etc.

Better vehicles too. The Defiler is too expensive for what it does, the Forgefiend is middling at best, and they are still stuck with a Phobos-pattern Land Raider and their measly 10 model transport capacity. Give'em Drop Pods already. Maybe a new assault vehicle, or an upgrade that makes it so.

Also just make their psychic powers suck less rear end. They're more a tax than something you want to roll on.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
There's a guy called JustDave over on Dakka who made his own CSM codex that was actually pretty cool. The Chaos Land Raider variant was called the Land Raider Butcher or something along those lines, and it had heavy bolters up the wazoo and a higher transport capacity. I don't want them to just get Crusaders, but something that fulfills a similar role would be really neat. I expect Hellbrutes to get bumped up to 4 attacks to match their loyalist versions.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

DrPop posted:

I just wanna see more unique close combat weapons. Only having three unique CCWs for an army that's defined by its wacky, outlandish demonic poo poo seems kinda lame.

plz don't take away my murder sword that murders

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'd be all for some insane jury-rigged chaos marine solutions. They supposedly have limited resources compared to their loyalist counterparts and I'd love to see that represented in ways other than simply losing options. Demon engines don't really showcase this, but a slapped together tank or two would. Also, for gently caress's sake, give them back Power of the Machine Spirit. Land raiders are useless without it.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

SRM posted:

There's a guy called JustDave over on Dakka who made his own CSM codex that was actually pretty cool. The Chaos Land Raider variant was called the Land Raider Butcher or something along those lines, and it had heavy bolters up the wazoo and a higher transport capacity. I don't want them to just get Crusaders, but something that fulfills a similar role would be really neat. I expect Hellbrutes to get bumped up to 4 attacks to match their loyalist versions.

Got a link to the fandex? Sounds neat as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Mango Polo posted:

plz don't take away my murder sword that murders

With the special rule: Murder

Slimnoid posted:

Got a link to the fandex? Sounds neat as hell.
It's a bit old but worth a read:
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/340878.page

• Locked thread