Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'd love to give it the Murasame but trying to grab a rare steal with just a Thief Knife and no way to cast Return...not interested in trying to do that again. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, if you're gonna go that far get a Murakumo. 20% crit and 20 more attack power. You can get both off random battles (Murasame from Ruhks in the ocean, Murakumo from Yojimbo in the void castle).

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Every time. :roflolmao:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Run #7: Normal - Monk / Time Mage / Ranger / Dragoon

Sixth triple crown done. Well, that should just about do it for #FF5FJF2015 for me. This team was pretty slow until I got Comet and learned Rapid Fire on my first character (thank you Bal basement). Rapid Fire actually made Monk pretty useful in W3. After I took out Shinryu I noticed my levels were pretty low and only had like 25 Phoenix Downs, so I considered leaving to level a bit and buy more. But then I realized, I should just :black101:. This was my most difficult NED, Meteor and Rapid Fire just did NOT want to hit the Almagest portion so I ate two of those to the face. Luckily Krile jumped over them so I could recover.

Now I'm realizing I've triple crowned with every job except Samurai, which I just Job Fair'd out of for this run... :negative: Maybe one more? I got two weeks, right?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Bufuman posted:

Hmm, crap, can I !Catch a Crystelle without a sword-user for Excalipoor? I've got Summoner/Beastmaster/Dragoon/Dancer, and I'm stumped as to whether I can nab one. I have yet to find a weapon that doesn't either do 0 damage or go well over their pitiful 3 HP.

Ah well, if all else fails, I can !Catch a group of Dragon Aevis instead and blow four Breath Wing sized holes in NED.

Can you catch/release something that has a demi/quarter/other %HP doing effect? Are Crystelle Heavy?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Archenteron posted:

Can you catch/release something that has a demi/quarter/other %HP doing effect? Are Crystelle Heavy?

They sure are.

Again: Beastmaster, level 43 or under, Dancing Dagger, back row, back row Crystelle, control it and have it use Protect on itself. It does 1-4 damage.

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

Kyrosiris posted:

They sure are.

Again: Beastmaster, level 43 or under, Dancing Dagger, back row, back row Crystelle, control it and have it use Protect on itself. It does 1-4 damage.
Alternately, an equally terrible strategy I saw from a stream by My Name is Kaz: Catch a Bomb or Grenade, get the character who caught it down to exactly 2 HP (he did this by having a Landcrawler in the desert area spam Maelstrom on him, though the Death Claws in the castle area are closer and love spamming their namesake move), and have them release it on one. On the GBA version, at least, Self-Destruct from a released monster deals damage based on the party member's current HP and doesn't kill them, and it ignores defense and evasion.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

And my fifth and final run of this Fiesta ends in a victory. As I said before, this party setup basically makes Omega and Shinryu near impossible, so I'm not even going to attempt them. NED was actually pretty rough too, since Zeninage doesn't do as much damage as you would hope, and Rapid Fire is pretty random. I could have done some grinding (I was at level 33) but that would've had its own issues, so I just kept going until my Samurai was able to block Almagest with her Aegis Shield and then revive the others, but it was pretty nailbiting trying to finish off the lower portion before it got a second one off, it was shaking and everything and I didn't know if I would make it.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Any good places to AP grind in world 3? I want to have everyone at white 6 and time 6.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Maigius posted:

Any good places to AP grind in world 3? I want to have everyone at white 6 and time 6.

Bal's basement hasn't stopped existing.

E: In retrospect that probably sounds sarcastic and hostile, I meant unlike stuff that actually does go missing, statues are still available.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

The best for AP is still Movers on the last floor of the Dimensional Rift (you can force an encounter with them via Quicksave if you're playing the GBA version) since winning that gives you 199 ABP. And with White/Time it should be easy to beat them given that they're undead.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I'd hesitate to kill an endgame monster good for AP. Devoid of context 199 AP sounds nice...but by the time you reach that encounter you're past nearly all the bosses and other challenges in the game.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Twelve by Pies posted:

... Movers ... they're undead.

What.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

NGDBSS posted:

I'd hesitate to kill an endgame monster good for AP. Devoid of context 199 AP sounds nice...but by the time you reach that encounter you're past nearly all the bosses and other challenges in the game.

That's very true. By the time you can get past all the other bosses, you've got pretty much all the abilities you need to take down NED. And any specific abilities that are useful for killing Omega and Shinryu tend to be the low cost ones (for example, !Calm is the first Beastmaster skill learned, !Mix is I believe second for Chemist, !Sing is last on Bard but the class only takes 175 ABP total to master so no big deal, etc.)

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Yup, I learned that when using Apollo's Harp against them and suddenly realized I was dealing like 6000 damage. Then I tried Requiem and well, yeah. So they're weak to Holy/Cure spells/Fire.

NGDBSS posted:

True but what is there in the Dimensional Rift that really requires everyone to have White/Time 6 anyway? Might as well save the grinding for when it can be done quickly and easily, especially since fighting Objet d'Art without a Blue Mage is pretty slow.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yup, I learned that when using Apollo's Harp against them and suddenly realized I was dealing like 6000 damage. Then I tried Requiem and well, yeah. So they're weak to Holy/Cure spells/Fire.

Just cure spells and fire. Holy does normal damage to them.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

especially since fighting Objet d'Art without a Blue Mage is pretty slow.

It's not so bad on VBA, but otherwise yeah it's a pain.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Statue grinding's actually not bad in mobile either since you can set Auto-Battle to use Gold Needles on enemies. Not worth all the other inconveniences mobile brings, but hey.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I like to go up Phoenix Tower asap for a nice and rather easy 500 AP infusion.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The dark grey areas on this map are all 8 abp fights, with rare 13 abp (average 8.3 abp per fight) . The light grey has 13 and 6 in the common slots and 8 in the 2 rarer ones (average 9 per fight). The yellow one has a 25 abp fight in a not that rare slot but is only 3 abp 41% of the time and 8 abp the rest (average 9.9 app per fight and you can easily run from the 3 abp fights if you want). A nice side effect is that you'll be drowning in gil when you're done: Silvune's worth 10k, Giant Bird 5k, Gel Fish fights 2160, Armon fights 1480, Sea Devils 3k each.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Aug 16, 2015

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
It is so easy to forget that the ocean exists in this game.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Just wrapped up run five and triple crown, a 750 with Black / Time / Bard / Dancer. The only thing in the whole game that gave me any trouble at all was Necro-Jerk and his little jerk friends. I just had to try a few times until I got lucky bouncing breaks off of myself. NED didn't get a turn, as per usual with a Bard.

Having never progressed beyond the second world ever before, I'd say five runs and two triple crowns is pretty good.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

The dark grey areas on this map are all 8 abp fights, with rare 13 abp (average 8.3 abp per fight) . The light grey has 13 and 6 in the common slots and 8 in the 2 rarer ones (average 9 per fight). The yellow one has a 25 abp fight in a not that rare slot but is only 3 abp 41% of the time and 8 abp the rest (average 9.9 app per fight and you can easily run from the 3 abp fights if you want). A nice side effect is that you'll be drowning in gil when you're done: Silvune's worth 10k, Giant Bird 5k, Gel Fish fights 2160, Armon fights 1480, Sea Devils 3k each.

On the third floor of the Pyramid there are a decent amount of encounters with Zephyrus, who gives 4 AP, decent exp/money, and can drop an Elixir. They're easy to kill before they summon and if I need exp or Elixirs that's usually my farm spot. Otherwise it's Bal basement all day 'urry day

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Still going at this slower than molasses. Just got out of world one. Had a bit of trouble against soul cannon till I could get a run where missles didn't age my time mage. I ended up breaking like 5 rods on him regardless. Thankfully, as I've found out, slow works on soul cannon. Also I could break rods on him, so it's not like I had trouble anyway.

Going into world 2 at level 22, thanks to turtle farming. I ended up spending all my excess gil on cheap ethers from bartz's town instead of rings so we'll see how well that pays off.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Okay I revoke most of my complaints about Beastmaster. poo poo's fun if you give it a chance, and the ability to basically insta-kill anything at < 50% health is quite handy. It removed my need for healing against World 2 Exdeath when I could just release a bunch of Yellow Dragons all over him.

Also whips are quite solid.

I'm still struggling to come up with a good use for Chicken Knife with a Monk/Mystic/Beast/Samurai party though. I may just stick it on the Mystic Knight and deal with the occasional flee proc.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Poque posted:

Okay I revoke most of my complaints about Beastmaster. poo poo's fun if you give it a chance, and the ability to basically insta-kill anything at < 50% health is quite handy. It removed my need for healing against World 2 Exdeath when I could just release a bunch of Yellow Dragons all over him.

Also whips are quite solid.

I'm still struggling to come up with a good use for Chicken Knife with a Monk/Mystic/Beast/Samurai party though. I may just stick it on the Mystic Knight and deal with the occasional flee proc.

Can !Focus bypass the proc?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

AlphaKretin posted:

Ooh, and if so, can you !Focus a spellblade? That'd set up Faris nicely.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

AlphaKretin posted:

Poque posted:

Ooh, and if so, can you !Focus a spellblade? That'd set up Faris nicely.

Yes, and yes, respectively. It's the one good thing a Monk gives a FJF run past World 1.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
One more #mobilefact I learned in my last run: regen continues to tick off during Quick. I would imagine that means that quickleaking does in fact work on mobile, though I didn't try it with anything. I guess I can try real quick and report back.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Okay, Quick is weird. I don't know how it works in other versions, but it looks like everything still ticks: regen, hp leak, and all other statuses. It does not stop counters, either. Fighting a Mindflayer, Faris cast Quick then Bio for the first spell. He countered Lenna with Mind Blast, which gave her paralysis and hp leak. As I sat there, the hp leak started counting down Lenna's hp, and then after a little while she recovered from paralysis. The Mindflayer kept pulsing green, so I'm assuming his hp was ticking down too. But after a long while, it stopped. Apparently hp leak doesn't last forever.

So, quickleaking does not work on mobile, but not because of quick, but because hp leak has a limited duration. Unless broken poison rods are supposed to last forever or something...?

Now that I've done this five (actually six) times, is there any interest in compiling a full list of mobile changes for next year?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

OzFactor posted:

Okay, Quick is weird. I don't know how it works in other versions, but it looks like everything still ticks: regen, hp leak, and all other statuses. It does not stop counters, either. Fighting a Mindflayer, Faris cast Quick then Bio for the first spell. He countered Lenna with Mind Blast, which gave her paralysis and hp leak. As I sat there, the hp leak started counting down Lenna's hp, and then after a little while she recovered from paralysis. The Mindflayer kept pulsing green, so I'm assuming his hp was ticking down too. But after a long while, it stopped. Apparently hp leak doesn't last forever.

So, quickleaking does not work on mobile, but not because of quick, but because hp leak has a limited duration. Unless broken poison rods are supposed to last forever or something...?

Now that I've done this five (actually six) times, is there any interest in compiling a full list of mobile changes for next year?

Quick pauses all ATB between your first attack and your second attack. In non-mobile versions, counters and status effects wearing off are based off of ATB ticks (which is why Haste/Slow makes statuses last shorter/longer durations), whereas poison/regen ticks and the HP drain from Sap/HP Leak status are all keyed off the system's internal clock. It sounds like in the mobile version, everything's keyed off the internal clock.

Thus, the way quickleaking works is by pausing the ATB so that HP Leak never wears off, but not pausing the game, so that the enemy's HP still keeps ticking down.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 17, 2015

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

Woo, another victory for me. Might try to see if I can squeeze in a quick last one, i have several days off coming up. God I love bards. Neo Exdeath didn't take a single action because of swiftsong.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
So Fiesta is my first FF5 experience, well, ever. I streamed it, and along with help from goons AndyAML, Tie Tuesday, and a_raving_loon, I got my party of Dual Zerkers (ugh), Mystic Knight and Bard pretty far.

Last night, I ran into that Omega character, and well...

Basically, loon told me that since my Mystic Knight also had !Sing, I could try to have the MK and the Bard both use Romeo's Ballad to keep Omega stopped. It didn't really work out, since Omega just isn't stopped for long at all.

Even worse, I only had the Rune Axe so only one of my Berserkers could actually hit him for anything appreciable.

After dying later, I decided to roll the RNG dice, set cursor to memory, strip my characters of armor to make them faster and thanks to the Hermes Sandals, we got it! I have a video, but it came down to the wire - Omega managed to petrify one of my singers, destroying the whole system but my Rune Axe Berserker managed one last attack that did it.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

slowbeef posted:

Basically, loon told me that since my Mystic Knight also had !Sing, I could try to have the MK and the Bard both use Romeo's Ballad to keep Omega stopped. It didn't really work out, since Omega just isn't stopped for long at all.

This does work, but you have to be careful about staggering their ATB. You don't want them to go absolutely back to back - you want one to go, then refill about half their remaining ATB, then the other one goes. And every now and then Omega will go "gently caress you" and get a turn in anyway.

Alternatively, you could try having one bard sing Swift Song and the other bard try to partially stunlock Omega (which gets easier as their agility goes up from the first bard), but it probably wouldn't work well enough. Works great if you have a third controllable character though - two on stunlock duty, one raising agility.

Either way, it's a moot point since you got your win, so good job!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yeah, the thing is, statuses like Stop only last 30 ATB ticks on heavy targets (like Omega and most but not all bosses). A hasted character with good agility takes like 55-58 ATB ticks between turns. Therefore, you basically need the songs to be staggered such that just as one is about to run out, another gets sung.

It's a really fun balancing act.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

So I'm about to enter the void again and I'm considering how to take on the super bosses. My party is Knight, Berserker, Ninja and Bard. So I have Omega down easily. But I'm not sure how to take on Shinryu. I don't think I have any way to berserk him like I usually do. Is the zombie method the only real way I have to beat him?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Serene Dragon posted:

So I'm about to enter the void again and I'm considering how to take on the super bosses. My party is Knight, Berserker, Ninja and Bard. So I have Omega down easily. But I'm not sure how to take on Shinryu. I don't think I have any way to berserk him like I usually do. Is the zombie method the only real way I have to beat him?

Level grinding and Coral Rings is another option - your team doesn't lack in damage against Shinryu in the slightest, it's just that you'll have to survive it all.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

KataraniSword posted:

Level grinding and Coral Rings is another option - your team doesn't lack in damage against Shinryu in the slightest, it's just that you'll have to survive it all.

!Hide Hermes Sandals, one of them with a flame shield and then racing, or doing a slow, sandbagging burn with !Sing would work

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Huh, thank goodness for emulator rewind, because you can land the airship on Gil's cave in world 3 and never be able to access it again. Weird glitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derra
Dec 29, 2012
20 runs done, 20 triple crowns (3 normal to warm up, 17 chaos).

Don't think I'll have time to do another, so that's a wrap.

This is the first time I tried this challenge, and I really appreciated the focus that restricting bosses gave me, and figuring out timings and strategies, especially on Omega with teams that don't trivialize him. My last run was Blue / Ranger / Ranger / Samurai, and managed to get him at 37, whereas I would have leveled to high 50's before trying him earlier in my runs.

Never got Monk or Thief. Game threw Rangers at me.

Most runs, Crystals to Pyramid drags the most. Having nothing but Bards up to the Earth Crystal was realllllly painful that one run.

Favorite Classes are Black and White Mages. While neither can triple crown by themselves, they both handle a lot of crap out of the box. Honorable mention to Dancers (Equip Ribbon and Rainbow Dresses rock), Bard in World 2+, Ninja with a magic job for an actual Magic stat.

Most "overhyped": Mystic Knight. Was excited to get them, but they didn't impress like the other heavy hitters. Beside some uses of Sleep and Break Blade, I feel that they make easy fights easier but don't contribute to harder fights until you have Flare Sword, at which the game is pretty much over.

I think my favorite run was Black / Summoner / Summoner / Geo. Black + Summoner is ridiculously strong, just that combination alone made up for the duplicate class + geomancer.

Was a lot of fun!

• Locked thread