Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Enforka posted:

I traded Benjamin away to move up to a top 3 pick in the first round five days ago. We're a two keeper league. Nobody said anything, as they generally don't for most of the trades that go through. The commissioner even put Benjamin up on the draft board as a keeper for the other guy. Now the guy I am trading him to says the trade should be cancelled because it was never voted on and people did not have the time to see it. We are two days away from the keeper deadline.

Am I right in thinking this is kind of bullshit?

Yes, it's bullshit. The trade went through, gently caress him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yes, it's bullshit. The trade went through, gently caress him.

What if it was the opposite? What if it was in principle and hadn't been executed? Would the original Benjamin owner be able to pound the table and insist the trade was done? It's the same deal.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

You can back out of any trade you want if it isn't processed. If it's in the voting stage, then hope the other owners are dumbcool enough to vote it down. e: if this were my league, I'd veto the trade if both owners agreed to do so

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 21, 2015

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
Tyrod Taylor is interesting. I know he didn't amount to much in BAL, but he will be the Bills starting QB methinks.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Tyrod will be starting for me

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Spoeank posted:

What if it was the opposite? What if it was in principle and hadn't been executed? Would the original Benjamin owner be able to pound the table and insist the trade was done? It's the same deal.

No deal is done until it's accepted by both teams on the league page, a handshake deal is exactly that and if a guy gets hurt 5 seconds after you say you're going to do it but you haven't actually physically agreed to a trade, any owner with any sort of decency wouldn't force you to make it anyway.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Dandy Kaiser posted:

No deal is done until it's accepted by both teams on the league page, a handshake deal is exactly that and if a guy gets hurt 5 seconds after you say you're going to do it but you haven't actually physically agreed to a trade, any owner with any sort of decency wouldn't force you to make it anyway.

And any owner with decency wouldn't demand it be reversed when it had been processed (he mentioned Benjamin had been moved to the other player's keeper list)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Spoeank posted:

As I see it the trade is done when someone other than the parties involved are required to change it. In this case the commissioner made the change to the draft board.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Spoeank posted:

And any owner with decency wouldn't demand it be reversed when it had been processed (he mentioned Benjamin had been moved to the other player's keeper list)

There's a difference between making a trade, having it go through, then a guy gets hurt a week later and telling a guy in person/via message that you intend to trade a guy, having him get hurt before a formal offer is made, and then rescinding the offer.

vvv e: agreed?

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 21, 2015

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

It's all bullshit. It's the new Kelvin Benjamin owner's problem. Full stop. End of story.

E: ^^^ I thought we were saying the same thing but I wasn't sure

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 21, 2015

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

The real lessons here
a) don't draft so fuckin' early
b) don't have a ridicous keeper deadline

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Enforka posted:

I traded Benjamin away to move up to a top 3 pick in the first round five days ago. We're a two keeper league. Nobody said anything, as they generally don't for most of the trades that go through. The commissioner even put Benjamin up on the draft board as a keeper for the other guy. Now the guy I am trading him to says the trade should be cancelled because it was never voted on and people did not have the time to see it. We are two days away from the keeper deadline.

It's bullshit

Also who did you get in this trade?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
:lol: goddamn Gruden must hate RG3.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
Drafting early actually owns if none of your high picks get injured.

Enforka
Dec 24, 2004

Metapod posted:

It's bullshit

Also who did you get in this trade?
We just swapped first rounders- I moved up from the end of the first round to the 3rd pick overall. I also did a deal for Hill (Cost me a 4th round pick in the trade and a 5th to keep... kind of high in retrospect) and I already had Ingram for a 13th rounder. I dunno, maybe that was dumb. I was also extremely drunk at the time.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Enforka posted:

As soon as you both accept the trade, its done. Wanting to go back on it is crap and if your league mates actually vote to rescind this, its a sign its a poo poo league.

This poo poo happens - its part of fantasy football. I traded away Jeremy Hill as part of a big player swap three days before he ran for 154 yards and 2 tds against Jax. Sucks but thats life.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

I traded Ahmad Bradshaw for Rolando McClain last year the day he went off then traded back for him in a bigger deal the few days before he broke his leg :c00l:

ZIGfried
Nov 4, 2005

I can hardly contain myself!
Haha that new Benjamin owner was laughing about how he put one over on you just hours before Benjamin got hurt.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
My team:

quote:

QB: Tannehill
RB: CJ Anderson
RB: Frank Gore
WR: Julio Jones
WR: Emmanuel Sanders
FLEX: Jordan Matthews
TE: Delanie Walker
K: Blair Walsh
DEF: Eagles

BENCH:
Vincent Jackson
Isaaih Crowell
Sam Bradford
CJ Spiller
Gio Bernard
Arian Foster
Allen Robinson
There is some...interesting free agents out there on the waiver wire. 10 man league.

RB - DeAngelo Williams
RB - Fred Jackson
RB - Ronnie Hillman
WR - Colston
WR - Charles Johnson
WR - John Brown
WR - Michael Floyd
WR - Davante Adams
WR - Kenny Stills
WR - Stevie Johnson
WR - Funchess
WR - Perriman
TE - Josh Hill
TE - Seferarian-Jenkins
DEF - Detroit

Should I worry about any of those guys? I'd have to drop someone.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Owners in fantasy football are emulating NFL team owners. When an NFL team owner makes a trade, the contracts are signed, it's done. Dude could break his leg getting off the airplane and it's the receiving team's problem. When a team signs a contract (equivalent to keepers), it's done. The terms of the contract are there; the team can drop him, but any guaranteed money is gone.

This is of course why the NFL has an injured reserve. The Panthers may be hosed due to Benjamin missing this season, but at least they'll be able to IR him and not have him hit their salary cap too hard, or take up a spot on the roster.

So if your fantasy league has rules, they should be enforced the same way. If your league is set up poorly, then that's something to discuss at a time when there isn't one owner who is clearly going to gain an immediate advantage (or disadvantage) as a direct result of changing a rule; but in the long run, you gotta have these conversations and hash it out and make sure everyone agrees to the rules... and then enforce them. You should have an IR, you should have more than one keeper (because jesus, wasting your one precious keeper slot on a player who gets hurt sucks), you should make it clear that a trade is complete when both parties have entered into it via the software... or it's complete when the software processes it... or whatever.

Getting hosed after a trade is, really, no different than getting hosed when your first-round draft pick gets hurt/gets suspended for a year/retires. I don't see too many people asking to have their draft backed out because their first-rounder died. Why should they get a trade reversed? Just because it'd be technically easier? That's irrelevant to whether or not it's fair.

Enforka
Dec 24, 2004

ZIGfried posted:

Haha that new Benjamin owner was laughing about how he put one over on you just hours before Benjamin got hurt.
If these two trades have taught me anything, it is that trading drunk is probably not a good idea unless you are sure the other guys you are dealing with are drunker.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Does anyone play in a league with a FA budget / bidding process?

A person in my money league keeps bringing it up any chance he gets and as interesting as it sounds, I just can't get behind ANOTHER layer of strategy to whom I want to pick up on the FA wire.

(This is also the person from last year who benched all of his players WK 1 to lock up the 1 waiver, grabbed Josh Gordon, then promptly missed the playoffs because he didn't have the point total in a tie breaker for last spot)

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

LmaoTheKid posted:

:lol: goddamn Gruden must hate RG3.

Is he purposely trying to get him hurt? I understand he is forced to play him but it's pretty hosed up. Stand up to the loving owner, not send Griffen to the wolves.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

OxySnake posted:

Does anyone play in a league with a FA budget / bidding process?

A person in my money league keeps bringing it up any chance he gets and as interesting as it sounds, I just can't get behind ANOTHER layer of strategy to whom I want to pick up on the FA wire.

(This is also the person from last year who benched all of his players WK 1 to lock up the 1 waiver, grabbed Josh Gordon, then promptly missed the playoffs because he didn't have the point total in a tie breaker for last spot)

FAAB is the One True Waiver system and I absolutely love it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea it's really cool. It gives everyone a fair chance at players and brings really interesting strategy questions into play.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

OxySnake posted:

He sounds cool

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

89 posted:

My team:

There is some...interesting free agents out there on the waiver wire. 10 man league.

RB - DeAngelo Williams
RB - Fred Jackson
RB - Ronnie Hillman
WR - Colston
WR - Charles Johnson
WR - John Brown
WR - Michael Floyd
WR - Davante Adams
WR - Kenny Stills
WR - Stevie Johnson
WR - Funchess
WR - Perriman
TE - Josh Hill
TE - Seferarian-Jenkins
DEF - Detroit

I dunno if I would keep a second QB rostered in a 10 man league. Funchess would be an interesting pickup just to see how he does with the targets that would go to Benjamin - he may be a solid fantasy pick just because of targets.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

89 posted:

My team:

RB - DeAngelo Williams
RB - Fred Jackson
RB - Ronnie Hillman
WR - Colston
WR - Charles Johnson
WR - John Brown
WR - Michael Floyd
WR - Davante Adams
WR - Kenny Stills
WR - Stevie Johnson
WR - Funchess
WR - Perriman
TE - Josh Hill
TE - Seferarian-Jenkins
DEF - Detroit

You don't need Bradford. Get John Brown or Charles Johnson.

Or Stevie Johnson. He's gonna bounce back in a big way.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

89 posted:

My team:

RB - DeAngelo Williams
RB - Fred Jackson
RB - Ronnie Hillman
WR - Colston
WR - Charles Johnson
WR - John Brown
WR - Michael Floyd
WR - Davante Adams
WR - Kenny Stills
WR - Stevie Johnson
WR - Funchess
WR - Perriman
TE - Josh Hill
TE - Seferarian-Jenkins
DEF - Detroit

Depending on how deep your bench is, John Brown, Hillman, and Funchess are worth stashing.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Drop Bradford for Stevie or Funchess. In my ten man, I'm rostering Bradford as my QB1 and backing him with up Bridgewater, who is also a last round potential keeper. I wouldn't worry about backing up Tannehill.

OxySnake posted:

That...is a very special strategy, ahahaha. Even if Gordon ended up the playoff savior like many of us thought he'd be, that's still loving dumb.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Man, only thing is...I'm pretty huge on Bradford. I know the whole injury stuff and obviously I'm an Eagles fan. But, just check this out:

quote:

Chip Kelly has come under constant critiquing this offseason.

He has revamped his roster in a way that no coach of such experience ever has. Trading out LeSean McCoy for DeMarco Murray, releasing Evan Mathis, trading Brandon Boykin and, most significantly, swapping quarterbacks with the St. Louis Rams. Kelly may not ever tie his status to a quarterback. That is the beauty of his scheme. There's no doubt that Sam Bradford is the most talented player he has had at the position though. Although Nick Foles had an impressive statistical stretch a few years ago, his inaccuracy and inability to perform against pressure meant that the Eagles weren't getting the most they could realistically expect to get out of their offense.

Bradford is a polarizing player. The former first overall pick has had his career to this point ruined by injuries. When he's been healthy and available, his statistical output has been underwhelming. The question with Bradford is just how much blame can be shifted onto his teammates in St. Louis.

Over his four seasons in St. Louis when he actually saw the field, Bradford threw the ball to receivers such as Brandon Gibson, Danny Amendola, Chris Givens, Lance Kendricks, Steven Jackson, Austin Pettis, Danario Alexander and Brandon Lloyd. Those receivers are listed by who had the most yards during those seasons. Brian Quick was also on the roster, but while Bradford was on the field he was struggling to run his routes and catch the ball when given opportunities. Tavon Austin had similar issues, but he spent even less time with an active Bradford. The Rams didn't have a receiving option on the roster who could create matchup problems or consistently get open and catch the ball.

To compound those issues, they also had major offensive line issues and an inconsistent running game. This meant that Bradford was put in positions where he had to make quick downfield throws against four man rushes into crowded coverages with no receivers open or who could win at the catch point. Expecting him to put up big yardage in that situation was unrealistic.

Expectations need to be reset now. There are very few places that are more quarterback-friendly in the NFL than in Kelly's offense. Although the offensive line has been depleted by recent departures, the design of Kelly's offense and the variety of receiving options and running backs are of a different world to what Bradford has previously worked with. Each fo DeMarco Murray, Ryan Matthews and Darren Sproles are better than any running back Bradford has played with, while Jordan Matthews, Nelson Agholor, Zach Ertz, Riley Cooper and Josh Huff offer more upside than any receivers he has thrown to.

All of those players are effective individuals in a vacuum, but Bradford can elevate their production in Kelly's offense. He can do that by consistently making the easy plays that Kelly's offense is based on.

On this play, Foles has three options to the wide side fo the field. Each receiving option is attacking the defense at a different level, but doing so in the same area to create a simple read for the quarterback. Foles is late to let the ball go to his receiver running a curl route and his pass is wildly off target. This is a simple throw that every quarterback should expect to make every single time he attempts it. There will always be rare miscues, but Foles' miscues were too regular for Kelly's liking.

Even throwing screen passes regularly came with poor ball placement.

The simple principles of Kellys offense are that he will stretch the field in every possible direction. He pulls the defense towards each sideline with screen passes, often coming after play action or as options on runs. Placing then ball in front of the receiver on these kinds of throws is important for leading the him downfield, but overshooting the receiver is something that simply should never happen. NFL quarterbacks who can't make this throw comfortably shouldn't be starting in the league.

Unfortunately for Foles, his accuracy to every area of the field was majorly problematic.

In the above chart, every pass that Foles threw last season except for spikes, passes tipped at the line of scrimmage and throwaways are represented by green ticks or red crosses. The green ticks represent accurate passes, while the red crosses represent inaccurate passes. The chart doesn't track completions and incompletions, it doesn't matter if the ball was caught or not. it looks at ball placement, so accuracy in its purest form. Foles' chart is woeful. His accuracy was really, really bad last year and this is highlighted when compared to Sam Bradford's from when he last played.

The most obvious difference between Bradford and Foles is what happened behind the line of scrimmage. Bradford was consistently placing the ball for his receivers on screen passes and checkdowns, whereas Foles was accurate on checkdowns but struggled throwing screen passes accurately. When you look further downfield, Bradford was also a much more accurate deep passer, which may be surprising considering his reputation.

Bradford didn't have a reputation as an accurate deep passer in St. Louis because his numbers weren't good. Those numbers weren't good because of his situation rather than his ability. Bad offenisve line play and receivers who couldn't separate or catch the ball consistently kept his output low. In Philadelphia, he won't have these issues to deal with.

Kelly's offense is brilliantly designed. His use of play action and his route combinations allow receivers to consistently get wide open downfield without over-exerting their skill set. Jeremy Maclin was the Eagles' best receiver last year and Foles repeatedly failed to find him when he was open downfield. On this play against the Washington defense. Maclin comes wide open down the seam. Foles floats the ball far over his head, so far that he has no chance of adjusting to it. With an accurate pass on this play, Maclin could comfortably had run in an 87-yard touchdown.

This wasn't a difficult throw by NFL standards. Throwing the ball downfield is never truly easy, but there are dramatically varying degrees of difficulty for different plays. This is the kind of throw you would expect most starting quarterbacks in the NFL to make consistently.

Multiple examples from the same game could be found to highlight Foles' issues, without even including all of them.

If you paid close attention to what Foles was doing, you wouldn't have been surprised that Kelly traded him. Kelly is smart enough to understand that the statisitcal representation of his pieces isn't indicative of performance. Even when Foles was at his most productive during his first season with the former Oregon coach, he was still throwing bad interceptions and leaving plays on the field. Drops and the overwhelming success of Kelly's scheme with a great offensive line were able to compensate for his poor play though.

The Eagles don't need Bradford to be a great quarterback, they just need him to be an above average one. If he can be that, the offense will enjoy huge success.

A healthy Bradford should make the Eagles offense a top five unit in the league at the very least and likely the favorite for the most productive offense in the NFL. It is one of the very few offenses in the NFL where you should prioiritize getting a piece of over the individual talent of the player you are picking. This elevates players such as Nelson Agholor, Jordan Matthews, Josh Huff, Riley Cooper and Zach Ertz(if healthy).

An unhealthy Bradford puts Sanchez back in the fold. Sanchez should still keep the offense effective and allow for consistent production from his supporting cast, but that production will be more dependant on the quality of opposition. Sanchez doesn't have the same talent as Bradford, so when the windows tighten against better defenses he will look closer to Foles than the franchise's new starter.

Of course, it goes without saying that Bradford will be a very productive fantasy option also.

Nick Foles was regularly a top 3 fantasy QB while healthy under Chip Kelly and would have games that would single handedly win you the entire fantasy matchup. A healthy Bradford could be loving scary in this offense.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Funchess is gonna be like a WR3 even with Kelvin out why are you all so excited. Do you not remember all the bullshit who makes those catches catches that Kelvin made to boost his value? Funchess is not as good as Kelvin, so those catches aren't made.

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Aug 21, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
BeerSheets 2015-08-21

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Does anyone know anything about NFL.com keeper rules? I took over for a team this year but my keepers are literal dogshit compared to everyone else. My best player is Alshon. Would it give me an extra pick at the beginning or the end of the draft if I didn't pick a keeper? Or would it just select a player for me...

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Brandon Coleman looks to be setting himself up as the Saint's WR3, so if you've been picking up or targeting Nick Toon, keep an eye on the situation. He is a Marques Colsten or Brandin Cooks injury away from getting a ton of targets from Drew Brees.

ZIGfried
Nov 4, 2005

I can hardly contain myself!
I'm worried that I hear whispers that Bradford has barely taken a step in live drills abd looks like a statue. Paired with the fact he won't be playing any preseason games and I have to wonder if he's as ready as Chip wants people to believe. I guess the same could be said about Murray missing pretty significant practice time and preseason games under the guise "we're just limiting his touches after a heavy workload"

Felter Chesthard
Sep 11, 2001

I am in a league with .25 pts per completion 6 patd and 1 ppr. Does the qb change make a big enough difference to warrant using something other than the 10 team 1 ppr sheet? I have pick 6 and I am thinking of reaching for a qb with my second round pick.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Felter Chesthard posted:

I am in a league with .25 pts per completion 6 patd and 1 ppr. Does the qb change make a big enough difference to warrant using something other than the 10 team 1 ppr sheet? I have pick 6 and I am thinking of reaching for a qb with my second round pick.

If there draft luck first round

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Some interesting stats re: Brandon Coleman. Now to figure out how much of my FAAB to throw at him (dynasty).
https://www.numberfire.com/nfl/news...aign=dlvr.it_fi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Signed up 11 people for my first work league yesterday, it's gonna be a fun season. ($10 buyin winner takes all, Yahoo STD h2h, w/r flex)

I am going to lose.

• Locked thread