Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

No one can stop the movies.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Chappie is better than Ex Machina.

Truth. Ex Machina made me impatient, then grumpy, then mildly amused, then angry and the more conversations I have about it the shallower it becomes. CHAPPiE, on the other hand, is super in the way Blomkamp contextualized the Die Antwoord performances and actually had something interesting to say about the potential of rapidly evolving artificial intelligence in Chappie's environment.

Dopilsya posted:

I was watching Stretch on the US netflix a few weeks back and while it wasn't a great movie, it did make me want to see something that follows a similar theme. I guess I'm trying to find movies that involve the main character finding out about secret/underground/weird locations or organisations in their city; sort of the "seedy underbelly". Bonus points if they have to travel to multiple locations. Is this a thing in noir films, maybe? I'm not sure I've ever seen a noir film.

Give Scorsese's After Hours a shot, the tone of Stretch / general structure is similar if the aims are slightly different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
For all the jokes about Short Circuit remake and whatever, Ex Machina is a much more glaring example of a stock sci-fi plot. Yo-Landi is a much more interesting portrayal of a sexualized woman-child than Eva, on top of it.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Dopilsya posted:

I was watching Stretch on the US netflix a few weeks back and while it wasn't a great movie, it did make me want to see something that follows a similar theme. I guess I'm trying to find movies that involve the main character finding out about secret/underground/weird locations or organisations in their city; sort of the "seedy underbelly". Bonus points if they have to travel to multiple locations. Is this a thing in noir films, maybe? I'm not sure I've ever seen a noir film.

After Hours, arguably Scorsese's most underrated film.

Irreversible, kinda?

And of course, the cold open to Blade :v:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I would emphatically second After Hours.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Yeah watch the poo poo out of After Hours, it's so drat good and hilarious.

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

For all the jokes about Short Circuit remake and whatever, Ex Machina is a much more glaring example of a stock sci-fi plot. Yo-Landi is a much more interesting portrayal of a sexualized woman-child than Eva, on top of it.

That's a really good point. Now I kinda want to write a comp / contrast to make a case for CHAPPiE, and while I'm cool with watching that again Ex Machina not so much. In either case, thanks for the connection.

Also, I'm maybe halfway through watching all of Claire Denis' stuff. I've written about White Material, Beau Travail, and you were on fuckin' point with Trouble Every Day. Sittin' down to write about Chocolat here in a moment, but I'm thinkin' ahead.

Would you have any recommendations for a similar director who did a detour like that, or another horror film in the vein of Trouble Every Day? I swear it feels like it's scuttling around my skin when I think about it.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I am looking for distinctly and interestingly Canadian movies. In my mind already are FUBAR, Atanarjuat, and Mon Oncle Antoine.

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

Hand Knit posted:

I am looking for distinctly and interestingly Canadian movies. In my mind already are FUBAR, Atanarjuat, and Mon Oncle Antoine.

Many, but not all, of Atom Egoyan's movies, especially his earliest films. Check out Next of Kin, Family Viewing, Speaking Parts, The Sweet Hereafter, Ararat, and Adoration.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Hand Knit posted:

Ginger Snap

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Dopilsya posted:

You might also like Kontroll, although the main character is already familiar with the 'underworld' (of subway ticket checkers).

vvvvv
Fixed link, thanks!

Kangra fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 15, 2015

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Kangra posted:

You might also like Kontroll, although the main character is already familiar with the 'underworld' (of subway ticket checkers).

You're missing a w in "www.youtube .com"

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.

Hand Knit posted:

The Final Sacrifice

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

CARL MARK FORCE IV posted:

The Final Sacrifice

Are these movies interestingly and distinctly Canadian or are they just Canadian-made films?

e: Thanks for the Egoyan recommendation. I already have The Sweet Hereafter. Is there any one other that's particularly Canadian?

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Strange Brew

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

Hand Knit posted:

e: Thanks for the Egoyan recommendation. I already have The Sweet Hereafter. Is there any one other that's particularly Canadian?

All the ones I listed are heavily influenced by the unique melting-pot of Quebec. Of them all, I'd say Speaking Parts would be your best bet.

Also I can't believe I didn't put it on, but Egoyan's Calendar is drat interesting for something uniquely Canadian as it's about connecting to people in multicultural Quebec while cut with an earlier vacation of him being an ethnically diverse Canadian citizen traveling in a foreign land. Maybe a bit abstracted from what you're looking for, but it does fit the bill nicely and there's some great writing on it in Hamid Naficy's book An Accented Cinema: Exilic and Diasporic Filmmaking.

Punch Drunk Drewsky fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 15, 2015

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Hand Knit posted:

Are these movies interestingly and distinctly Canadian or are they just Canadian-made films?

The Final Sacrifice is oozing Canada and interesting. Just be sure to watch the MST3K version (It's also a top 5 mst3k episode if you ask me). It's probably on YT

e; yup, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy4Eo1UrL9A

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Ginger Snap has a very different feel to US made movies of its type (Cursed for example). I don't know it's because it's Canadian or not.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Hand Knit posted:

My Winnipeg

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Punch Drunk Drewsky posted:

All the ones I listed are heavily influenced by the unique melting-pot of Quebec. Of them all, I'd say Speaking Parts would be your best bet.

Also I can't believe I didn't put it on, but Egoyan's Calendar is drat interesting for something uniquely Canadian as it's about connecting to people in multicultural Quebec while cut with an earlier vacation of him being an ethnically diverse Canadian citizen traveling in a foreign land. Maybe a bit abstracted from what you're looking for, but it does fit the bill nicely and there's some great writing on it in Hamid Naficy's book An Accented Cinema: Exilic and Diasporic Filmmaking.

Thank you!

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Imagine if someone made a movie out of one of Zdzisław_Beksiński's paintings or Alejandro Jodorowsky directed a Warhammer 40,000 adaptation. I want to see a dystopian scifi or fantasy movie full of dark surrealistic imagery, where the universe has a dirty, lived-in kind of atmosphere.

I don't think films like Dark City or Blade Runner really count, since they're more inspired by film noir than surrealism. Neither does Pan's Labyrinth really because it's mostly just weird elements in an otherwise normal world. The closest examples I can think of might be Dune, anything by Terry Gilliam, parts of Alien, and even the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Too specific?

Ramrod Hotshot fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 21, 2015

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Alien, Eraserhead, Hard to be a God

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Zesty Mordant posted:

Alien, Eraserhead, Hard to be a God

Which version of Hard to be a God, or both?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I was thinking Hard To Be A God as well.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Imagine if someone made a movie out of one of Zdzisław_Beksiński's paintings or Alejandro Jodorowsky directed a Warhammer 40,000 adaptation. I want to see a dystopian scifi or fantasy movie full of dark surrealistic imagery, where the universe has a dirty, lived-in kind of atmosphere.

I don't think films like Dark City or Blade Runner really count, since they're more inspired by film noir than surrealism. Neither does Pan's Labyrinth really because it's mostly just weird elements in an otherwise normal world. The closest examples I can think of might be Dune, anything by Terry Gilliam, parts of Alien, and even the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Too specific?

Semi-serious answer: Chronicles of Riddick

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Too specific?

Stalker

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Which version of Hard to be a God, or both?

Is there more than one version? the 2013 film. Also, Stalker, but I haven't seen Stalker.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Immortal Ad Vitam

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Semi-serious answer: Chronicles of Riddick

Totally serious answer. It's a B movie to be sure, but I'm a big fan of how weird and original the setting and villain characters are.

Zesty Mordant posted:

Is there more than one version? the 2013 film. Also, Stalker, but I haven't seen Stalker.

But it must be good because everyone says it is, right? ;) Stalker is a movie I will never understand the hype about. I struggled to stay awake to the end. It's almost devoid of tension, atmosphere or anything of interest visually, and its three or so hours could have easily been fit into 90 minutes.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Immortal Ad Vitam

Thanks, watching this now! Some of the CGI is embarrassingly bad, but otherwise its super trippy.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
It really is an entertaining movie and is bizarre as poo poo.

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Stalker is a movie I will never understand the hype about. I struggled to stay awake to the end. It's almost devoid of tension, atmosphere or anything of interest visually, and its three or so hours could have easily been fit into 90 minutes.

With the caveat that Tarkovsky is definitely something of an acquired taste, Stalker is my favorite. I love the way he quietly asks for patience as he creates an alien landscape out of things completely familiar to us. The long close-up dolly of the landscape changing from fishes in a bucket, to clumps of plant life growing from the earth, and the decaying reminders of civilization before finally settling on the Stalker's body is superb but then Tarkovsky goes further. With a simple rotation of the camera and isolated patches of land he conveys that lost sense of place and time within the zone where everything is alive and at the same time already dead and gone. I also get a kick out of the way he keeps the traditional sci-fi stuff on the periphery, like the on-loan uniforms of Farenheit 451 the authorities who chase the Stalker are wearing. Everything about it makes my skin tingle.

So keeping in mind my thoughts on Stalker, I'd still like to offer up Denis Villeneuve's Enemy in terms of palette and tone to Beksinski's paintings. Also thirding (or fourthing?) the most recent version of Hard to Be a God, but if you were bored by Stalker it's extremely likely you'd be bored by Hard to Be a God.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Too specific?

I think What Dreams May Come might count?

I loving love Beksinski's style. I want more things to take his work as inspiration. I'm pretty sure Dark Souls does and its really cool.

They go to Hell for awhile and it looks like this:

And maybe some animated stuff like Heavy Metal or Wizards? Or like The Labyrinth or The Dark Crystal for that matter?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 21, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Zaphod42 posted:

I think What Dreams May Come might count?

I loving love Beksinski's style. I want more things to take his work as inspiration. I'm pretty sure Dark Souls does and its really cool.

They go to Hell for awhile and it looks like this:

And maybe some animated stuff like Heavy Metal or Wizards? Or like The Labyrinth or The Dark Crystal for that matter?

I mostly second this, but do not watch Wizards.

It has really not aged well.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Punch Drunk Drewsky posted:

So keeping in mind my thoughts on Stalker, I'd still like to offer up Denis Villeneuve's Enemy in terms of palette and tone to Beksinski's paintings. Also thirding (or fourthing?) the most recent version of Hard to Be a God, but if you were bored by Stalker it's extremely likely you'd be bored by Hard to Be a God.

The moving tableaux and all the jokes in Hard To Be A God are repetitive, but never really boring. Stalker demands patience, in my opinion.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I mostly second this, but do not watch Wizards.

It has really not aged well.

Yeah Wizards is really really rough. Its like an unglier version of Bakshi's Lord of the Rings. (all the weird rotoscoping and stuff)

Still, its one of the few things I could think of that fit that theme, its definitely got some dark surrealistic imagery.

E: I just realized that Final Fantasy 6 is probably based on Wizards :stare:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 21, 2015

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Is Hard To Be A God supposed to be surrealist/not make any sense? I watched the first 30 minutes or so and I couldn't make heads or tales of it,I was pretty inebriated but it just seemed like a bunch of nonsense to me.

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 21, 2015

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

The moving tableaux and all the jokes in Hard To Be A God are repetitive, but never really boring. Stalker demands patience, in my opinion.

Very fair, and my own reactions to each are intertwined with the way I empathize through film. Hard to Be a God challenged this directly with the constant violent interactions and dialogue, so I was just exhausted when it was through. Stalker's similarly physical, though not to the same extent, and the doubt yet continual resilience of the conversations really resonated with me.

It's weird, because I really want more people I know to watch Hard to Be a God so I can talk to them about it but I can't really recommend it, and I'll recommend Stalker with no hesitations and one disclaimer about the patience needed.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Too specific?

City of Lost Children
The same designer & director worked on Delicatessen, which might also be worth a shot.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Too specific?
On The Silver Globe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

I've got a couple requests. First, I love movies where the main character is framed for a crime that he / she didn't commit and has to set off on an adventure to clear his /. her name. Anything good in that genre that y'all can think of? Also, I love time travel / parallel universe movies so any suggestions for those would be great as well.

• Locked thread