Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

As anyone been able to work out a way to update all MS Office 2016 applications at the same time, like how previous versions of Office Autoupdate would work, rather than doing a specific update for each application?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

You Am I posted:

As anyone been able to work out a way to update all MS Office 2016 applications at the same time, like how previous versions of Office Autoupdate would work, rather than doing a specific update for each application?

It's always updated them together for me. Whenever it shows me an update there's one for every app in the suite, and it downloads them all at once.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

You Am I posted:

The Microsoft AutoUpdater (if you run it manually or have set to check weekly) updates all installed Office programs at the same time. It just did that for me with the update from a couple weeks ago.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I've got a question I hope someone can answer before I have to do something drastic like start my own topic in the Haus of Tech Support.

I've got a late 2012 Macbook Pro running OS X 10.10.5, I've upgraded it to 16GB of RAM from 8GB, and put in a 1TB hybrid SSD/hard disk as the main HDD while keeping the original mounted where the DVD drive used to be, both upgrades from OWC.com. I've got Windows 10 running in Boot Camp (and Parallels 10, which I haven't updated to 11 yet, pointed at the Windows partition) on a partition on the hybrid drive. I upgraded from Windows 8.

My question is: Why does it take two minutes for OS X to boot up from turning the power on, and Windows 10 about fifteen seconds? There is a dark grey bar which slowly fills when I'm booting into OSX's login screen. When it's up, the OSX runs everything quickly and as expected, no problems. I used Boot Camp Assistant to make the partition, and there are zero problems with Windows, just the OSX's initial startup speed and, occasionally, shutdown speed. What's going on here?

I realize an obvious "quick fix" would be to start everything over from scratch and restore from backups, which I do have. Aside from a twinge of annoyance that this shouldn't really be happening on a computer that isn't that old, it's not really interfering with my usage. And just wiping and starting from backups doesn't really help me understand what's going on.

Sorry if this kind of thing has been answered already! And if you guys think I should head over to the Haus then I guess I will do that.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

With an SSD installed, OS X used to boot within 15 seconds on my late 2011 MBP, but ever since Mavericks, the boot times have gotten progressively worse. Don't understand why.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I've got a question I hope someone can answer before I have to do something drastic like start my own topic in the Haus of Tech Support.

I've got a late 2012 Macbook Pro running OS X 10.10.5, I've upgraded it to 16GB of RAM from 8GB, and put in a 1TB hybrid SSD/hard disk as the main HDD while keeping the original mounted where the DVD drive used to be, both upgrades from OWC.com. I've got Windows 10 running in Boot Camp (and Parallels 10, which I haven't updated to 11 yet, pointed at the Windows partition) on a partition on the hybrid drive. I upgraded from Windows 8.

My question is: Why does it take two minutes for OS X to boot up from turning the power on, and Windows 10 about fifteen seconds? There is a dark grey bar which slowly fills when I'm booting into OSX's login screen. When it's up, the OSX runs everything quickly and as expected, no problems. I used Boot Camp Assistant to make the partition, and there are zero problems with Windows, just the OSX's initial startup speed and, occasionally, shutdown speed. What's going on here?

I realize an obvious "quick fix" would be to start everything over from scratch and restore from backups, which I do have. Aside from a twinge of annoyance that this shouldn't really be happening on a computer that isn't that old, it's not really interfering with my usage. And just wiping and starting from backups doesn't really help me understand what's going on.

Sorry if this kind of thing has been answered already! And if you guys think I should head over to the Haus then I guess I will do that.

Boot in verbose mode to see the startup sequence. It's hanging up on something. Hold CMD-V when you turn on the computer through the chime and you'll see what the computer is doing. Could it be possible it somehow installed OSX onto the platter drive? I mean, OSX loads your programs fast and what not?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Experience has shown me that sometimes the hangs are from a bad main drive cable. Since they are not made to be user serviced, they get damaged way to easy. A local computer guy says about half the unibodies he sees that have had user work done are iffy.

Of course he's trying to get me to pay him to do things, but this was exactly my problem, and he solved it.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

kapalama posted:

Experience has shown me that sometimes the hangs are from a bad main drive cable. Since they are not made to be user serviced, they get damaged way to easy. A local computer guy says about half the unibodies he sees that have had user work done are iffy.

Of course he's trying to get me to pay him to do things, but this was exactly my problem, and he solved it.

The fact that Windows is installed on the same drive yet boots up quickly would seem to rule out the HDD cable.

But yes, the HDD cable on the 13" MBP's are notorious for failing (especially the 2009 and 2012 models). 15" models don't seem to have this issue (though they can fail, just not as frequently).

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The rear end Stooge posted:

It's always updated them together for me. Whenever it shows me an update there's one for every app in the suite, and it downloads them all at once.

flosofl posted:

The Microsoft AutoUpdater (if you run it manually or have set to check weekly) updates all installed Office programs at the same time. It just did that for me with the update from a couple weeks ago.

That's weird, it wasn't doing that for me :(

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
Can somebody explain to me how Office 2016 for Mac works? I just want a god drat standalone installer for the office suite but every link to Microsoft puts me at Office 365. We have our own email server so I don't get a poo poo about Office 365 hosted exchange services.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

McDeth posted:

Can somebody explain to me how Office 2016 for Mac works? I just want a god drat standalone installer for the office suite but every link to Microsoft puts me at Office 365. We have our own email server so I don't get a poo poo about Office 365 hosted exchange services.

As I understand it, 2016 for Mac is only for Office 365 subscribers at the moment. If you want to purchase outright you'll have to wait until autumn because Microsoft haven't released it yet.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

They're gonna make a killing on Office 2016. The only time I've used Word 2011 in the last few years was for a Thesis 'cos the formatting in Pages is awful. It's so dated now. I remember using it when it came out 😗

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
I use a VPN to get around the Great Korean Firewall, and it works great… except I can’t send email. The VPN’s tech support (IronSocket) told me to use ports 25, 465 or 587, however I still get timeouts when I try these ports in Mail. Any idea on what else I can try?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

McDeth posted:

A standalone version is coming in September, price unknown.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The price is more than likely going to be set to make the boxed copy look like poor value. Especially once you factor in the multiple installs, iPad apps etc. I think at least outside of Volume Licensing, Microsoft are only selling retail copies of Office so they can say they aren't forcing people onto subscriptions.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

McDeth posted:

If you're buying multiple copies then look into a volume license. I've had clients in the past get one for 25ish copies, so there doesn't seem to be a large minimum quantity (although that was 2011 so it may have changed). The volume-licensed version of Office 2016 doesn't require any sort of sign-in or O365 account.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

No solution but the same thing happens for me with a 2009 Mbp running the latest macos and win10 on the original platter drive. Windows boots in about 25 seconds macos in about 90.

From what I've read Microsoft put a HUGE emphasis on performance in older machines due to how they pushed the update so this could just be an area that MS is ahead of Apple on.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Cyrano4747 posted:

No solution but the same thing happens for me with a 2009 Mbp running the latest macos and win10 on the original platter drive. Windows boots in about 25 seconds macos in about 90.

From what I've read Microsoft put a HUGE emphasis on performance in older machines due to how they pushed the update so this could just be an area that MS is ahead of Apple on.

Well, OSX didn't have any problems with boot up speed until I used Boot Camp.

It's a 15", so I guess the faulty cable problem doesn't really apply since otherwise performance is very good.

I will try the verbose startup when I get back home. Thanks for all the help so far, guys!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

It's a 15", so I guess the faulty cable problem doesn't really apply since otherwise performance is very good.

I will try the verbose startup when I get back home. Thanks for all the help so far, guys!

I vaguely remember something about Macs getting confused if you replace their stock hard drives and it takes longer for them to "find" the new disk, making the boot times seem longer. But that might be something else completely

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a way to have a local directory automatically copy and mirror to iCloud storage?

I've got folders with game saves that I want automatically put into iCloud as backup.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a way to have a local directory automatically copy and mirror to iCloud storage?

I've got folders with game saves that I want automatically put into iCloud as backup.

Not using iCloud alone, for that you're better off using Dropbox or SpiderOak

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Last Chance posted:

I vaguely remember something about Macs getting confused if you replace their stock hard drives and it takes longer for them to "find" the new disk, making the boot times seem longer. But that might be something else completely

Cyrano4747 posted:

Re-select your Mac OS partition in Startup Disk and it'll probably fix this. Most of the time when OS X is starting slow, it's because the boot partition value stored in NVRAM is no longer accurate, so OS X will sit there and enumerate all attached devices looking for something to boot. Selecting in Startup Disk puts it in NVRAM, causing the OS to skip this during start up.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I have a 2013-ish Mac Mini I've owned and used regularly for the past two+ years, and I got my first ever "Kernel Panic" where the screen goes black and the computer resets.

Is this a sign of some serious hardware problem brewing, or is it just a glitch?

I occasionally got BSOD's on Windows, but this was the first time I ever saw this happen, so I was extremely surprised.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

xilni posted:

Not using iCloud alone, for that you're better off using Dropbox or SpiderOak

Is there a way then, to make a certain folder point to a folder on iCloud then?

For example, if my game saves in /Documents/Game/, can instead I make a shortcut or something that makes it point to iCloud/Game instead?

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a way then, to make a certain folder point to a folder on iCloud then?

For example, if my game saves in /Documents/Game/, can instead I make a shortcut or something that makes it point to iCloud/Game instead?

You can use a symlink:

In Terminal:

Dropbox:
ln -s "~/Dropbox/SavedGames" "~/Library/Application Support/MyDumbGame/Saves"

The iCloud version is this, but I've seen it not work very well.
ln -s "~/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs/" "~/Library/Application Support/MyDumbGame/Saves"

Edit: more iCloud

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 23, 2015

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

The reason I mentioned my problems as being solved by the replaced cable is that my only indication of problems was a really slow start up time. The machine ran fine apart from that. I thought my SSD was dying, so I bought a new bigger SSD, and swapped in a 2 TB into the drive bay, and because I bought the drives from him, the local technician did the install.

And that's when he found the bad cable, and that solved all my problems, and I also got a "free SSD" in the sense that the original SSD, as I found out was fine.

So I was kind of right where you are with just a weirdly long (5 minutes or so) start up time on an SSD.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

NeuralSpark posted:

You can use a symlink:

In Terminal:

Dropbox:
ln -s "~/Dropbox/SavedGames" "~/Library/Application Support/MyDumbGame/Saves"

The iCloud version is this, but I've seen it not work very well.
ln -s "~/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs/" "~/Library/Application Support/MyDumbGame/Saves"

Edit: more iCloud

This would work but you'd have to suffer all the issues with writing to a networked drive, namely latency, you have to be connected, and you wouldn't have a local copy of the folder on your computer.

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013

Three-Phase posted:

I have a 2013-ish Mac Mini I've owned and used regularly for the past two+ years, and I got my first ever "Kernel Panic" where the screen goes black and the computer resets.

Is this a sign of some serious hardware problem brewing, or is it just a glitch?

Could be a hardware problem brewing or it could be a rude cosmic ray deciding to randomly flip a bit somewhere. You can look at the logs in Console.app and see what happened. But I wouldn't worry unless it happens again.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Three-Phase posted:

Are you running 10.10.4? I had repeated kernel panics with it, logs indicated it was a launchd crash every time. Since launchd is the parent of every user process, when it goes there's nothing left for the kernel to do but throw a panic message up even though the kernel itself hasn't crashed.

10.10.5 seems to have resolved the panics for me but I have seen the window server crash on wake once, which is effectively a reboot since the window server is the parent of your login session.

Basically Yosemite is poo poo. Worst OS X release in a long time. Hope they're improving things in El Capitan for this fall, I haven't had the time to try being a beta tester this year.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

xilni posted:

This would work but you'd have to suffer all the issues with writing to a networked drive, namely latency, you have to be connected, and you wouldn't have a local copy of the folder on your computer.

This is incorrect.
The point of both iCloud Drive and Dropbox is that you have a local copy.You're not writing to a file that's online only. The same goes for Spideroak, LiveDrive, etc.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

BobHoward posted:

Are you running 10.10.4? I had repeated kernel panics with it, logs indicated it was a launchd crash every time. Since launchd is the parent of every user process, when it goes there's nothing left for the kernel to do but throw a panic message up even though the kernel itself hasn't crashed.

10.10.5 seems to have resolved the panics for me but I have seen the window server crash on wake once, which is effectively a reboot since the window server is the parent of your login session.

Basically Yosemite is poo poo. Worst OS X release in a long time. Hope they're improving things in El Capitan for this fall, I haven't had the time to try being a beta tester this year.

Thanks for the post.

Yikes. I guess I am staying with (gulp!) 10.6.8 for another year. Yup, 4 year old OS.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hi, I have had a basically good experience with Yosemite. Do I get a prize?

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

BobHoward posted:

Agreed. I've been playing with the beta for about 2 weeks and it already runs much better than Yosemite did.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

fleshweasel posted:

The prize of El Capitan problems in a few months

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
While using my computer last night (2013 11" Air, 10.10.5), my keyboard suddenly stopped working correctly. Letters or numbers would not appear when I typed them in any application, and I couldn't use any shortcuts that involved letters, such as cmd-w or cmd-s. However, I could still use cmd-tab to switch windows, cmd-space to open Alfred, opt-space to open Spotlight, and the function keys at the top to change volume/brightness or open mission control. Strangely enough, anything I typed did appear in the Spotlight search box, but not in Alfred or any other application. Has anybody else experienced this behavior?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

fleshweasel posted:

I have as well, except that Safari is a stuttering gently caress.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Anyone else have iTerm suddenly always hide the tab bar in fullscreen? Regardless of how many tabs are open or how hard i uncheck the 'hide tab bar if only one tab open' box. Happens both with its own fullscreen mode and Lion-style.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Milkman posted:

Anyone else have iTerm suddenly always hide the tab bar in fullscreen? Regardless of how many tabs are open or how hard i uncheck the 'hide tab bar if only one tab open' box. Happens both with its own fullscreen mode and Lion-style.

Nope, works for me. I just tested it. Entered full-screen both from View>Full Screen and using the green button.

I'm running 2.1.1 in Yosemite if that helps.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

The Milkman posted:

I have never experienced this, but I do experience a scroll bar appearing on the right side of the window to go through the buffer that won't disappear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Yeah I'm on 10.10.5 and latest iTerm. Just started happening one day last week.

Nuking the plist and the .app did not help. I'd chalk it up yet another quirk of Mac full-screen but it happens with its own fullscreen too. Barf

EDIT: I apparently hit Cmd+Shift+T at some point. :bravo:

Chilled Milk fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 24, 2015