Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I am calling the police as we speak

I'll probably root around in the new unstable bits and look at the NPC and probably continue work on my mod. NPC stuff is what had me waiting to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

No double posting in the thread.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

It wastes e-resources.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

mutata posted:

No double posting in the thread.

double posting drains your posting energy way too quick, gently caress this new system

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

gj on the update, btw

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Why haven't you unfucked farming, Supernorn? Even the poo poo-sucking yes-man rear end-patters on your forum think it's a bad idea.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Cicadas! posted:

Why haven't you unfucked farming, Supernorn? Even the poo poo-sucking yes-man rear end-patters on your forum think it's a bad idea.

It's gameplay!!!!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I was told flowing water would ruin the crops. Also that's a lot of work for just 8 crops.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Can't crop-blocks absorb water from underneath the block? I'd assumed they could, and that'd make things really easy if so. Simple irrigation.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

victrix posted:

It's gameplay!!!!

That's goddamn creative

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Magmarashi posted:

That's goddamn creative

Yeah, how many pixels that you'd no doubt need to cheat to get easy is gated behind that?

A loving teleport is insanely expensive, so, what's going on here

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Fargin Icehole posted:

Yeah, how many pixels that you'd no doubt need to cheat to get easy is gated behind that?

A loving teleport is insanely expensive, so, what's going on here

I don't think you'd need any pixels to make any of that system at all, actually, unless pixel costs got added to the wiring bench stuff

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

victrix posted:

It's gameplay!!!!

I enjoy both the creativity and the massive over engineering. Well done.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah I thought they said that flowing water would break the plants, glad to see they realized how dumb that is.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah I thought they said that flowing water would break the plants, glad to see they realized how dumb that is.

It still will if it goes on too long apparently. While even more busywork, I suppose leaving holes in the dirt for drainage would be a good safeguard.

I miss old planting though. It was nice to harvest a large crop, put down replacement seeds, and then go back to what you were doing before on another planet knowing you'd have another batch when you got back waiting for you.

That and lots of trees to chop down and replant for my obsession with "Log Cabins, IN SPACE".

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Section Z posted:

It still will if it goes on too long apparently. While even more busywork, I suppose leaving holes in the dirt for drainage would be a good safeguard.

I miss old planting though. It was nice to harvest a large crop, put down replacement seeds, and then go back to what you were doing before on another planet knowing you'd have another batch when you got back waiting for you.

That and lots of trees to chop down and replant for my obsession with "Log Cabins, IN SPACE".

Prefabricated place able structure modules would be interesting. Pre-made greenhouses etc which are ready to be "plugged in" to irrigation systems and all, but not very nice to look at. . Just make it cost Pixels.

Are they even doable mod-wise? A premade structure rather than an item you pick up. Or even having it convert from a "Deed" to a structure that takes up physical space.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Aug 18, 2015

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Dandywalken posted:

Prefabricated place able structure modules would be interesting. Pre-made greenhouses etc which are ready to be "plugged in" to irrigation systems and all, but not very nice to look at. . Just make it cost Pixels.

Are they even doable mod-wise? A premade structure rather than an item you pick up. Or even having it convert from a "Deed" to a structure that takes up physical space.

Yeah, that was an early mod even

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

starbound is an extremely venomous animal and changelogs are the vibrant colours that make you want to kiss them

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

well, I do like kissing things...

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Remember when they advertised wanderlust adventures while this game was in early access? Well thats out now. I think at this point Witchmarsh will come out before Starbound gets done too

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

oh boy, they're adding unique monsters to biomes. maybe they're finally learning that hey, maybe cut and pasted body parts that either leap, charge, or fly at someone aren't remotely good or interesting.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

victrix posted:

It's gameplay!!!!

But won't this system stop working as soon as you're not sitting next to it? Or was that fixed.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

oh boy, they're adding unique monsters to biomes. maybe they're finally learning that hey, maybe cut and pasted body parts that either leap, charge, or fly at someone aren't remotely good or interesting.

It's a step forward when they let go of bad ideas and simply copy terraria. I remember suggesting that the random generation should be linked to biomes, so they should have biome specific color palettes, could add more movement types to monsters (wall clinger, worm that ignores blocks), more attack types and make them exclusive to certain biomes. This would let you know what to expect of each biome after a bit of experience. Well, they've done the first step of matching the color palette, at least.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm still in favor of loosely copying different enemy types from 2d metroid games

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
secrets of grindea is p. epic btw

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Looks ok

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
We're live with the latest update!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6db4718sRY&feature=youtu.be

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Cool I'll be sure to try it out

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The update doesn't appear to be on steam yet.

But I played unstable and I must say it's a huge improvement. Balance and progression actually feel pretty good now.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
That's good to read. It should be up by the time I get home from work tonight.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I wont believe it 'til Afraid of Audio says it.

EDIT: Congrats on getting the update out though!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

is starbound actually f....fun now?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Curious to play it, as the colony mechanic seems like it may offer the things to do I've been looking for.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98AJUj-qxHI

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Volt Catfish posted:

is starbound actually f....fun now?

Actually, it kind of is. There's probably still a bit of minor tweaking with damage values and such but overall they've streamlined what needed to be. The progression grind is a lot more reasonable now which really helps.

And the upcoming monster generation updates will make a big difference too once in.

EDIT: \/ No, but they honestly sound worse on paper than they really are.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 25, 2015

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Did they fix the terrible farming mechanics?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Patch is never patching, the end.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Starbound may or may not be good but this song sure is!!

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

so uh was the update supposed to make the game better by stopping it from launching?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rckbikes
Jul 20, 2009

TAKE THE FUCKING ELEPHANT!

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

so uh was the update supposed to make the game better by stopping it from launching?

Yeah same problem here.

• Locked thread