Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

Luigi Thirty posted:

Roman Rei:commissar:

Savage pulled a 4.25 star match out of the Ultimate loving Warrior at Mania 7. He was a god.

The question at hand is hard to answer imo because I don't really know if there are answers that aren't "the less-good guy was carried by a great worker." Like I love Scotty 2 Hotty and he had an awesome LHW title match with Dean Malenko once, but it's Dean Malenko, give the guy enough time and he'll put on a show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There was an awesome Jerry Lawler/King Kong Bundy "match" where Jerry got more money the longer he lasted, but I don't know if King Kong Bundy had good matches elsewhere or something.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

sean10mm posted:

Can anybody think of some good examples where a mediocre or even outright bad wrestler had a very good match out of nowhere?

Most of the examples I can think of involve someone way better than them also being in the match. For example Jeff Jarrett and Diesel both had matches Meltzer gave 4.5* in 1995-1996.

I'd be curious about matches involving two not great guys randomly being way better than expected. I'm sure it's happened plenty of times.

edit: obviously I forgot to point out that the Jarrett/Diesel matches were vs Michaels, if that wasn't obvious

Marquis de Pyro fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 20, 2015

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Hogan/Warrior from Wrestlemania is awesome

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Roman Reigns/Big Show.

(Just kidding, Roman Reigns is a great worker)

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I'd be curious about matches involving two not great guys randomly being way better than expected. I'm sure it's happened plenty of times.

Maybe UT/Batista feud in 07

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

sean10mm posted:

Can anybody think of some good examples where a mediocre or even outright bad wrestler had a very good match out of nowhere?

There was that chain wrestling match between Big Show and Kane. I don't know if it was "good" so much as unexpectedly entertaining though.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Test vs. noted ring general Shane McMahon

Let it ride
Mar 26, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9N8Pv3iJ7c

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit

I laughed like a child when Big Show kicked him in the arse at the beginning.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

dsriggs posted:

It's such a shame we'll never find that Tom Magee match to find out if it was as good as Meltzer says it was.

I don't know if the match itself was THAT good. I had the impression that it was more Bret Hart dragging a 3.5* match out of a -3.5* worker, so everyone thought Tom Magee was the second coming since he had a good body and didn't suck as bad as they thought he did.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Kane v Albert where Kane busted out a loving Frankensteiner

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Hadaka Apron posted:

Wasn't HHH the only guy who managed to carry Khali to a watchable match?

I remember watching one of their matches (or maybe their only match?) and being really disappointed in it because I believe Triple H could've had a good match around Khali, but the booking was all kinds of terrible. Khali only has several moves and three of them are finishers: brain chop, Punjabi Plunge and the head vise. So he starts the match by hitting a brain chop, doing a Punjabi Plunge and then putting Triple H in the head vise. Triple H is able to escape the ring and we get a bunch of minutes of Khali just killing time hurting him. There's zero drama because Khali's three finishers couldn't stop Triple H and there's nothing to build towards other than his eventual comeback.

sean10mm posted:

The Warlord wasn't very good, but Warlord vs. British Bulldog at Wrestlemania 7 is my all-time favorite match.

Benne posted:

Speaking of Mark Henry, what are his essential matches from the Hall of Pain run? I wasn't watching at the time.

I don't know the exact dates, but there's a non-match between Big Show and Mark Henry on Smackdown that acts as the origin of Henry's push. Then a match with Orton on Smackdown where the match itself is unimportant, but the post-match is the first real "Holy poo poo, Mark Henry is genuinely awesome" moment.

After that, Mark Henry vs. Big Show at Money in the Bank 2011. It's overshadowed by the rest of the card, but it's still a really, really good match and far better than you'd expect from the guys involved. Then he has a match against Vladimir Kozlov on Smackdown that's worth checking out, since it's a monster-building battle that ends Kozlov's career. I think there's an okay Kane match in there too. At least an arm wrestling segment between the two on Raw (?) that's amazing. Mark Henry vs. Sheamus at Summerslam followed by the rematch on Smackdown a week or two later are must-watch. A Smackdown battle royal where the winner becomes #1 contender. His match against Randy Orton at Night of Champions. Their rematch at Hell in a Cell is okay, but DEFINITELY check out his Lumberjack match against Christian on Smackdown because it gives us Christian's most amazing facial reaction.

He has a Smackdown match against Daniel Bryan in a cage that unfortunately builds towards a Wrestlemania match that we never get. After that, Mark gets a groin pull injury and it messes around with his booking. From there I'd say look for his Lumberjack Match with Daniel Bryan and his Royal Rumble 2012 cage match against Bryan and Big Show. Other than that, he has a no DQ match against CM Punk on Raw that feels like the last hurrah for the gimmick/push.

Sorry for being so vague an not having dates on the matches. Currently at work. I'll add more details later.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm watching the earlier episodes of OSW Review and there is a 4th guy there named Neil. Anyone know what happened to him and why he isn't on the later episodes?

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

St Evan Echoes posted:

Kane v Albert where Kane busted out a loving Frankensteiner

Why do we hate Kane when he's the original indy highspot big man? He did a million drat enzuigiris from 98-01

EDIT: the 4th OSW guy was Neo, it sounded like Neil because of the accents. This was addressed in one of their mailbag episodes; he simply disappeared and none of the others have been able to contact him or have any idea where he is. And he stole a 1tb hard drive from one of them.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

DynamiteKidd posted:

Why do we hate Kane when he's the original indy highspot big man? He did a million drat enzuigiris from 98-01

EDIT: the 4th OSW guy was Neo, it sounded like Neil because of the accents. This was addressed in one of their mailbag episodes; he simply disappeared and none of the others have been able to contact him or have any idea where he is. And he stole a 1tb hard drive from one of them.

Well...what a oval office.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
Mark Henry became a good character during the Hall of Pain run but unless "large man yelling angrily" is your fetish his matches were still poo poo

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Remember when he gorilla pressed that crew guy into oblivion?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Monkeycheese posted:

unless "large man yelling angrily" is your fetish his matches were still poo poo

We watch professional wrestling.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Monkeycheese posted:

Mark Henry became a good character during the Hall of Pain run but unless "large man yelling angrily" is your fetish his matches were still poo poo

I disagree. He actually cared and had some hustle to his work. Watch his match against Big Show from his MarkVP days in contrast with their Money in the Bank match. It's like night and day.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Monkeycheese posted:

unless "large man yelling angrily" is your fetish

Was he yelling about Final Fantasy? This is important re: my fetish.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
Do you mean the man from Toronto who plays a violin or the video game series?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CarlCX posted:

While I don't disagree with your conclusion, in fairness to the man, his 2002 return from the quad injury got a giant loving Jesus pop. At his prime, the crowd really, really gave a poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRGQugQpjz8

I'm pretty sure the crowd noise from like 0:22 - 0:26 is the SmackDown pop laid in in post.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

The triple H return pop was big but way overstated. It's actually kind of awkward when it gets down to the final four where he was ostensibly the only face and yet he got the weakest crowd reactions for doing stuff

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

Timby posted:

I'm pretty sure the crowd noise from like 0:22 - 0:26 is the SmackDown pop laid in in post.

It's funny, if you compare Angle's return and Triple H's, you have a nice, tight focused shot at that exact moment the jesus pop occurs (0:17ish), while there's a lot of wide shots when Angle makes his appearance. I was gonna say that it sounded sweetened, glad I'm not the only one, haha.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Team Hell No vs BookDust

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

RacistGuidingLight posted:

Team Hell No vs BookDust

I'm going with Team Hell No because they kept the momentum better. They split up so that Bryan could get a big singles push and Kane still got to do stuff. Meanwhile, BookDust split up so that Booker could get his Triple H feud and Goldust fell into obscurity.

Bryan fell to pieces, but at least he beat Triple H.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
Goldust fell into a well of drugs and fatness more than obscurity but yeah

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Marquis de Pyro posted:

There's an awesome Batista vs Ken Kennedy match, but it's lost a bit of it's luster now we know that it was the culmination of Batista becoming increasingly frustrated and stiffer with Kennedy, because he felt Kennedy was taking liberties by over-selling and trying to 'struggle' out of potentially dangerous spots :{

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

sean10mm posted:

Maybe it's just because early 90s Joshi was so good, but Bison Kimura always struck me as a pretty bad wrestler. She had a few really amazing tag matches tho.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Gavok posted:

DEFINITELY check out his Lumberjack match against Christian on Smackdown because it gives us Christian's most amazing facial reaction.

I'm interested in the Hall of Pain as well and had a little time to look this one up. Turns out the whole match is on YouTube: http://youtu.be/vFhpJW8OqjM

Really liked that match! Christian has some great facial expressions, like you said, and it's just a neat, well-told little story all in all. The match also includes one of the very few World's Strongest Slams that don't look like rear end I can remember seeing. Never been a fan of that move but there is the occasional time when Mark Henry can make it look fantastic.

Looking forward to more details and dates on this one :)

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale
Since I am not really sure where to look for opinions, what is the general reaction to the Swerved series? I just watched through all the available episodes, and it's pretty fun, but it has that air of being more staged than not in many cases

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

It's been reported that WWE staff loving hate that it exists, because WWE is a poisonous enough place to work without also having the constant fear of being electrocuted or shot or covered in fake urine

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

I always remember being very surprised with how good the match was between HBK and Khali on a random Raw or Smackdown.... so I guess HBK was able to get a good match out of him.

Edit: Found the match. Still think its a good match for Khali.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjgAVC7zXSE

Custard Undies fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Aug 21, 2015

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Which wrestlers had your favorite debut years?

For me it has to be Kurt Angle. Unlike other guys who had great first years, Kurt wasn't sling-shotted into a main event slot. His first match was against Meat opening up a PPV. But you could tell the company was behind him. What followed might be an example of the quickest learning of the difference between being a pro wrestler as opposed to an amateur wrestler. Not only did Kurt win the Euro, Intercontinental, King of the Ring and World title in his first year, he also had memorable angles, good to great matches and funny segments.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Really liked that match! Christian has some great facial expressions, like you said, and it's just a neat, well-told little story all in all. The match also includes one of the very few World's Strongest Slams that don't look like rear end I can remember seeing. Never been a fan of that move but there is the occasional time when Mark Henry can make it look fantastic.

Not to take credit away from Mizark, but you could also say that Christian's ability to go up for it and sell makes that slam look fantastic. It's not like it's Mark deadlifting him or anything.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Is there a place to watch a documentary on the history of wrestling in Japan or any books or can anyone break it down in here? It's a large gap in my wrestling lore.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Spikeguy posted:

Is there a place to watch a documentary on the history of wrestling in Japan or any books or can anyone break it down in here? It's a large gap in my wrestling lore.

There's actually an Indiegogo running right now for a history of NJPW and the author seems to know what he's talking about. You've got about 14 hours before the campaign's over.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Spikeguy posted:

For me it has to be Kurt Angle. Unlike other guys who had great first years, Kurt wasn't sling-shotted into a main event slot. His first match was against Meat opening up a PPV. But you could tell the company was behind him. What followed might be an example of the quickest learning of the difference between being a pro wrestler as opposed to an amateur wrestler. Not only did Kurt win the Euro, Intercontinental, King of the Ring and World title in his first year, he also had memorable angles, good to great matches and funny segments.

Brock's first year is basically something that will never, ever be repeated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Spikeguy posted:

Goldberg, nothing can match the electricity that run had.