Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

No Such Thing posted:

I pledge to make ghost houses only.

Finally overcrowding in Ghost Houses will come to an end. A house for every ghost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Zorglorfian posted:

I've never changed the clock before to unlock stuff early. How does it work again? Can I just set the date to next month and everything will be unlocked? And then change it back to this month and it'll be fine?

You have to change the date each time to unlock the next set of stuff. So, it would be like - play for 5 minutes, change to clock to at least a day ahead, play for five more minutes, change clock again, repeat until everything is unlocked.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

They have to let you turn of the clock right!? Come on!

They won't, and while, as a level creator, you might think that's a limitation, most players that try to play a level that requires infinite time will not have a good time.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

In general, 500 seconds is plenty of time for the average size of level that we'll be seeing from most people. If your level requires more than that you're probably making a level with exploration like that guy did. Most people aren't going to do that.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
I'd add the caveat that most people who try to make a level with exploration won't do nearly as good a job as that guy did.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

FPzero posted:

In general, 500 seconds is plenty of time for the average size of level that we'll be seeing from most people. If your level requires more than that you're probably making a level with exploration like that guy did. Most people aren't going to do that.

It would suck to go into 10 mario challenge and roll a level like that frankly.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

DalaranJ posted:

It would suck to go into 10 mario challenge and roll a level like that frankly.

You can opt to skip a level at any time and from what I've seen there's no penalty for doing so.

Metroid inspired Mario levels are nothing new. Super Mario X designers frequently do stuff like that and while they're often impressive, I personally don't find them particularly fun to play. Mario's limited ability to take a hit and the checkpoint system make them more of a chore than anything.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

You could have a reasonable workaround just by not including timeless levels in 10/100 Mario challenges. Honestly there's a few things I hope they patch in which do feel like big oversights; the lack of a win token, the lack of water outside of exclusively underwater environments and the lack of checkpoints. I can see maybe water would be a holdup due to it never being in SMB1 but I really don't get the absence of the others

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

A Steampunk Gent posted:

You could have a reasonable workaround just by not including timeless levels in 10/100 Mario challenges. Honestly there's a few things I hope they patch in which do feel like big oversights; the lack of a win token, the lack of water outside of exclusively underwater environments and the lack of checkpoints. I can see maybe water would be a holdup due to it never being in SMB1 but I really don't get the absence of the others

Well, SMB1 had above-ground water in 3-1. Sure, you could never swim in it, but Mario Maker has way weirder things in SMB1 tileset, so I don't get why they couldn't just add one animation of splashing water, or something like that.
I hope that Nintendo will just release patches/DLC for this game. They've done well with SSB, Splatoon and Mario Kart, and more tools to play around with is never a bad thing.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

They'd be fools not to add DLC to this. Take the Little Big Planet route of offering packages of new tools and new Nintendo made levels to show off their use. It's a great way to keep an active base of players and designers.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It seems weird that they'd release the game without allowing you to make any level in any of the games, that kind of seems like a prerequisite to me. It seems like the fire flower blocks mean that you can't even create 1-1 from SMB. I hope it is maintained and they add in stuff from the games. (Then Doki Doki Panic levels can come in mario maker 2.)

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
there is literally no way they aren't going to add extra level features and items and stuff to the game

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

UZR IS BULLSHIT fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 24, 2015

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

If they don't add DLC to be able to ride Yoshi in SMBs 1 & 3 I'm going to suicide bomb an elementary school

:stare:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Good evening to my friends at the US Secret Service :)

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
jesus christ

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

If they don't add DLC to be able to ride Yoshi in SMBs 1 & 3 I'm going to suicide bomb an elementary school

Bye

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Yeah that was pretty far over the line and I feel dumb for having posted it. Apologies for making GBS threads up the thread.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Has anyone posted an available Super Mario Maker "bestiary" or known exclusions? I can only imagine that those little yellow smiley ramps from SMW are likely out, and I'm pretty sure keys from SMW are also out.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
In one of the videos I saw Sonic rolling forward. I assume you can't roll into enemies but they didn't try in the video.

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ynk9VSYKztI
In this video he has to pass by a mushroom that he isn't allowed to show on youtube due to the reviewers embargo. I really want to know what that mushroom does to the DK costume Mario. I'm assuming it's another one of the Kong family because near the end of the video he says he doesn't want people to use Mario/wants it to feel as much like a DK level as possible.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 21, 2015

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Has anyone posted an available Super Mario Maker "bestiary" or known exclusions? I can only imagine that those little yellow smiley ramps from SMW are likely out, and I'm pretty sure keys from SMW are also out.

Hopefully this is stuff they add to DLC in the future. Slopes, keys to secret exits, making your own map world so you can make your own full games for friends, those speaker boxes so you can have your own text for stories, etc

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Yeah that was pretty far over the line and I feel dumb for having posted it. Apologies for making GBS threads up the thread.

As long as you feel dumb my work here is done. *waggles raccoon tail and flies away*

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Spacebump posted:

In one of the videos I saw Sonic rolling forward. I assume you can't roll into enemies but they didn't try in the video.

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ynk9VSYKztI
In this video he has to pass by a mushroom that he isn't allowed to show on youtube due to the reviewers embargo. I really want to know what that mushroom does to the DK costume Mario. I'm assuming it's another one of the Kong family because near the end of the video he says he doesn't want people to use Mario/wants it to feel as much like a DK level as possible.

Diddy and DKjr are embargoed so safe bet it was just one of them

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

This video shows all the tile types that exist in all four game themes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffnJoWmkgls

Edit: All the tile types and their shake transforms but not their wing transforms or mushroom transforms.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 22, 2015

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I would like to see DLC Super Mario Land-style.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I want a Yoshi's Island style set more than anything.

Slopes would be nice too, but I'm putting my dreams ahead of practicality.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm never going to get mario all stars, am I? Fuckers.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'm never going to get mario all stars, am I? Fuckers.

This would be better. The All-Stars versions of SMB and SMB3 are way better than the originals (same with SMB2 and Lost Levels, really).

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Little Mac posted:

This would be better. The All-Stars versions of SMB and SMB3 are way better than the originals (same with SMB2 and Lost Levels, really).

Agreed. The music was great and the sprite updates still hold up. No idea why Nintendo seems to have forgotten it existed

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Yeah I definitely wish they used the super mario allstar tile set.

Also if super mario all stars is somewhere on the Wii U Virtual Console please let me know.

Despera fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 22, 2015

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

They didn't forget they existed. They just made people pay through the teeth for what was essentially a single rom on a Wii disc.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The Mario All Stars versions look worse, especially Mario Bros 3 :colbert:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Macaluso posted:

:yeah:

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Macaluso posted:

How dumb

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

It's true

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I would have liked to see the All-Stars versions but if we had to have one or the other I prefer the originals since it's an anniversary game, after all.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probably doesnt help that SMB and SMB 3 look pretty similar in all stars.

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
I told my fat girlfriend I wanted to bang skinny chicks and now I'm wondering why my relationship is garbage.
Brick breaking physics is all wrong in SMB1 and Lost Levels in All Stars. Also, Podobos fly two tiles higher--wiping out ten years of specifically trained muscle memories.

gently caress all stars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

SMB1/Lost Levels All Stars looks ugly, SMB3 All Stars looks good

• Locked thread