Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Picked up Fresco a few weeks ago on a recommendation, and finally got a play of it in last night. I really enjoyed it, I felt like it did everything Lords of Waterdeep tries to do, but with even better theme and interaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Sometimes when we go to the fiances family cabin her parents want to play games, but we usually play "dice", like the gambling one. Or cribbage or whatever old people game they want to play. It's ok though - kind of boring though but it's a nice way to chill out in the evening. This last weekend her mother in her 60's is like "I've been playing this game with some of my craft group, it's called Dominion, I think you'd like it." I couldn't believe it. I know Dominion is light fare in the whole fantasy/nerd spectrum but it made me laugh.

Any of you ever had family member unexpectedly drop stuff like that on you? Maybe I can get her into Mage Knight...

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Sometimes when we go to the fiances family cabin her parents want to play games, but we usually play "dice", like the gambling one. Or cribbage or whatever old people game they want to play. It's ok though - kind of boring though but it's a nice way to chill out in the evening. This last weekend her mother in her 60's is like "I've been playing this game with some of my craft group, it's called Dominion, I think you'd like it." I couldn't believe it. I know Dominion is light fare in the whole fantasy/nerd spectrum but it made me laugh.

Any of you ever had family member unexpectedly drop stuff like that on you? Maybe I can get her into Mage Knight...

I can see dominion being a hit among the grandparents level who have been used to playing bridge, majjong, gin, etc their whole adult lives.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

That's true.

The terrible rule book just enforced us not playing correctly, since it was too much of a hassle to look things up if we thought something sounded off.

I'm willing to keep giving it a shot...and in fact, just in the past couple hours, between looking more at the rules and posts at BGG, there are STILL some rules we have wrong. And one of them is a DOOZY. I poo poo you not, we thought that after every round, when play got back to the first/starting player, the "first player token/card" was passed to the person on your left, and then the first/stating player skipped their turn that round.

So yeah...in a 4-player game, we just thought that you'd play for 3 rounds, then skip out on one. I have absolutely no idea where my friend got that rule. Nothing even CLOSE to that in the book.

Is there some other game that has a mechanic like that he might have gotten confused in his head? Because holy poo poo, that alone makes me willing to give this game another shot.

That is a massive gently caress up who would ever think that is how it works? I mean there are bad games where you "Lose a turn" but that is a direct result of a game mechanic (Like adventure cards in talisman can occasionally make you lose a turn) not something simple as 1st player token passing.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If my wife and I love Agricola: All Creatures Great and Small but hate Agricola, we're probably going to love Caverna, aren't we?

We played two games of Agricola Family style and found it boring. We played one game with cards where we made plans and played our upgrades then starved to death. Then we played a couple of games correctly and found it boring since the most interesting aspect of the game (card strategy) is still a lot smaller than just taking either 3 wood or starting player every round until the midgame.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Sloober posted:

That is a massive gently caress up who would ever think that is how it works? I mean there are bad games where you "Lose a turn" but that is a direct result of a game mechanic (Like adventure cards in talisman can occasionally make you lose a turn) not something simple as 1st player token passing.

Some games do weird poo poo with the first player token. Off the top of my head, both Dead of Winter and Apex Theropod have turn order jumps at the end of the round - though the later's not exactly a shining pinnacle of game design (I still like it though).

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Any of you ever had family member unexpectedly drop stuff like that on you?

I went with my girlfriend and her family a while ago to her godparents for the weekend. Whenever we go to visit her family I always take a bag of board games with me because , while we like to play between ourselves, her brother and mother sometimes join is as well.

We got to the godparents and while waiting for people to get ready before going out, my girlfriend and I were playing Pandemic on the iPad, passing it between us. I remember saying something like "There's only 2 cubes left in Shanghai." to which my girlfriend replied "Cool, I'll eradicate it on my way through." when I passed it back to her. Her godmother suddenly, from the kitchen said "You're playing Pandemic aren't you?"

Turns out her nephew had got her to play it a while ago, but she was sure he'd taught it wrong. When she described what she thought was wrong she was spot on, things like outbreaks hadn't been resolved correctly and the player deck set up wrong. I hadn't taken Pandemic that weekend but next time we go she's very keen to play it again, and we introduced them to Ticket to Ride as well which went down a treat.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Played Kemet twice this week and it might be my new favorite game. Real good.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Kemet is great. Can't wait for Ta-Seti.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Bottom Liner posted:

Played Kemet twice this week and it might be my new favorite game. Real good.

I've only played it once and I really liked it but my group was undecided. I think they looked at the map and the armies and put their heads into 'Risk' mode when Kemet is really far more abstract than your normal 'conquer lands with armies' type of game.

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 21, 2015

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

We had the same thing happen with some players. Make sure they know Kemet isn't a conquest game, it's an opportunistic points-scoring game. Your goal is simply to create shock and awe, not to eradicate your foes.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Andarel posted:

Some games do weird poo poo with the first player token. Off the top of my head, both Dead of Winter and Apex Theropod have turn order jumps at the end of the round - though the later's not exactly a shining pinnacle of game design (I still like it though).

DoW just makes the first player token go counter clockwise. So the previous last player is now the first player. No one loses a turn. (that is also the feature that makes it easy for the traitor player to tank the game)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Bubble-T posted:

GDC put up a nice talk from Soren Johnson (Civ IV designer) about board games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xWNfVhVTJU

Basic stuff for most people in this thread but I'm glad to see a high profile designer really evangelise this kind of stuff, and from a solid design perspective not just the social aspects.

I watched the first 20 minutes of this last night, and it's pretty neat. Looking forward to finishing it.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Right, it's a double turn. Apex Theropod does the opposite, so turn order goes 1234 2341 3412 and the first player gets "skipped" and queued back up at the end of the line. I can definitely see people misreading the rules of a game where a player gets bumped around in the turn order and accepting their mistake/not immediately fixing it.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I've alway thought it is clever when games that let you gain additional actions counterbalance it by giving the other players a minor reward for being the first to pass in a round. Like Terra Mystica, or Argent. It helps keep additional actions from being the overwhelming dominant strategy.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Played Traders of Osaka yesterday at my FLGS. Light and fast little set collection and trading game, lemme run it down for you.

Four suits of cards: red, blue, green, and yellow (fabric, porcelain, tea, rice). Values in each are 2, 3, and 5, distributed roughly evenly, weighted more to 2s than 5s.

There's also a boat token for each color that starts on space 1 of a 6-space track, and "achievement" tokens in each color.

There's a 3-card "farm" row and a 5-card "market" row, and each player has a reservation token and a stockpile token.

You start with one achievement token of your choice and draw cards from the deck until you get at least 8 points of goods, and pick one of these actions to do on your turn:

Reserve a card by putting your reservation token on it. This can happen on either the farm or the market row, though the other two actions only interact with the market row. You can only get your reservation token back by taking the card you reserved; you can't relocate it.

Cash a card from the market row by taking it into your hand. This can be an unclaimed card or your reserved one.

Buy out the market. Discard cards from your hand to meet or exceed the combined price of every unclaimed card in the market, plus your reserved card if it's there, and place the cards in a tableau in front of you. So if there are 3 3s in the market, you can discard 2 5s to get them (10 > 9) but you don't get change. Then the ships advance: 1 space if you took that color, 2 spaces instead of you took multiples (no matter how many. Take 4 yellow cards? Yellow ship up 2 spaces.) When any ship hits space 6, selling happens.

Selling cards from your tableau is pretty simple. For any given color, you sell all the cards, and get points equal to the number of cards in the set times (highest card + achievement tokens). So if you had yellow cards 3/2/2 and 1 yellow achievement token, that's 3 cards * (highest card 3 + 1), or 12 points. Keep one card from the set for every 5 points or fraction thereof, keeping the lower cards if you don't keep all of them and drawing extras from the top of the deck if you score more than 5 points per. Put those cards face-down under your stockpile marker, and then take an achievement token of that color.

Then the ships on space 6 go back to space 1. But this shipping is over kind of dangerous waters, and any ship at space 4 or 5 when selling happens is caught in the Black Tide and sinks with all goods on board. Those ships move back to space 3, and everybody discards all their goods of that color... unless they have insurance. 3s are worth 1 point of insurance, 2s are worth 2. For every one you discard from your hand, you can save that number of cards as long as the insurance and the goods are the same color. When you use insurance, turn the goods sideways in your tableau; they're insured forever, no matter how many times a ship sinks.

After selling is over, refresh the market row: the 3 cards in the farm row move down, along with any reservation tokens on them; 2 cards are dealt to the market row from the top of the deck; and 3 more cards are dealt out into the farm row. The market row also refreshes if it's out of unclaimed cards.

If the deck runs out, reshuffle the discards; the game is over when, after selling, someone has 8 achievement tokens. Then whoever has the most cards under their stockpile marker wins, with achievement tokens as a tiebreaker.

I really liked the game. There were a lot of things to think about (what color do I take for money? how are ships going to move? do I need to save some insurance? can I stall a color I don't have at space 4 or 5 while the others advance?), the farm is enough of a preview of the next market while leaving some to chance, and it played in a little over half an hour, not counting rules explanations.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Huxley posted:

If my wife and I love Agricola: All Creatures Great and Small but hate Agricola, we're probably going to love Caverna, aren't we?

We played two games of Agricola Family style and found it boring. We played one game with cards where we made plans and played our upgrades then starved to death. Then we played a couple of games correctly and found it boring since the most interesting aspect of the game (card strategy) is still a lot smaller than just taking either 3 wood or starting player every round until the midgame.

If it's mostly just going to be the two of you playing, you might want to consider Fields of Arle instead. It's probably a bit heavier than Caverna, but is also a deeper game and designed specifically for two players. I've really enjoyed it the few times I've played it, I posted an impression previously. If you find the feeding to be too much of a detriment, or the choices too one dimensional, FoA would at least be worth checking out.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Traders of Osaka is also really brutal at 2p because points are so tight. Got a game in at GenCon and thought it was really good, might pick it up once it comes out.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Andarel posted:

Traders of Osaka is also really brutal at 2p because points are so tight. Got a game in at GenCon and thought it was really good, might pick it up once it comes out.

My FLGS had it sitting on the shelf for a few weeks and I kept looking at it but passing. I went to get it the other day and it was gone. I picked up Barony though, so hopefully I'll have a trip report for that sometime soon.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Big McHuge posted:

My FLGS had it sitting on the shelf for a few weeks and I kept looking at it but passing. I went to get it the other day and it was gone. I picked up Barony though, so hopefully I'll have a trip report for that sometime soon.

The new version? It's not changed much from the 2006(?) version but it looks a bit nicer and is probably worth making sure.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Talkin with my bud.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker
i hated the board game jocks in high school they would always shove me into a munchkin box

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Never acknowledge the existence of the thread outside of the Internet, that's like the first rule

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Chomp8645 posted:

Talkin with my bud.

He is 100% correct on all counts.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
the world must know that this thread has badpinions

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Chomp8645 posted:

Talkin with my bud.

Cool, you can cross "told a bunch of nerd strangers that a nerd stranger doesn't think very highly of them" off your bucket list.

Now if you'll excuse me, I, an extremely cool guy, have to go down to the game store to play BaHotH

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

It's a lot better if you cut everything from 10:04 onwards.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

The last line is a pretty good summary.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

When someone invites me over for dinner the first thing I do is tell them random internet strangers they've never even heard of think lasagna loving sucks.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Ojetor posted:

When someone invites me over for dinner the first thing I do is tell them random internet strangers they've never even heard of think lasagna loving sucks.

He was already well aware of SA and this thread, he just doesn't post here. This place is often brought up when we're discussing board games. Despite his casual "bunch of nerds" comment he's at least as a big a nerd as myself or anyone else here.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Y'all sound like a bunch of casuals

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Chomp8645 posted:

Talkin with my bud.

Sounds like a reasonable guy, it's all true of course, Betrayal is a perfectly fine game for a laugh. It also sets up fast, and doesn't encourage new people to get analysis paralysis, so you can bang out a game fairly quickly. A good beer and pretzels game.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Rutibex posted:

Sounds like a reasonable guy, it's all true of course, Betrayal is a perfectly fine game for a laugh. It also sets up fast, and doesn't encourage new people to get analysis paralysis, so you can bang out a game fairly quickly. A good beer and pretzels game.

Betrayal is a game I don't hate playing, but also I would rather play any other game in my group's collective pile 100% of the time.
Also, the worst is when the Traitor gets one of the scenarios with hosed-up or poorly-written rules, and there's nobody they can talk to about the specifics with.
Also the scenarios where there are items in secret locations, and the traitor has to be paying attention to reveal when somebody enters a room with a special item.

You know what, I came back around. gently caress Betrayal.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

I like how he thinks "not euro-y" is a positive. :allears:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Durendal posted:

He might mean "lacks/boring theme" which is a decent criticism of a lot of them. As much as I'm enjoying Caverna, it would be rad if it was anime robots making a city and moon base.

Caylus could have Char Aznable looking disapprovingly on the box. Tragedy looper works. The only bad thing about Tanto Cuore was the execution but I could see slice of life anime working there. Farming's p boring IMO.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Tekopo posted:

Never acknowledge the existence of the thread outside of the Internet, that's like the first rule

Sounds like someone hasn't had a good ol' metadiscussion at cons with their e-bros.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Also I say this as someone who spent 5 years living in an amish village, farming is Cool As Hell.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Countblanc posted:

Also I say this as someone who spent 5 years living in an amish village, farming is Cool As Hell.

Amish? In Michigan? Or were you in Pennsylvania? I know there's a thriving Mennonite community in the UP

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Countblanc posted:

As someone who helps at the family farm back in the Philippines, it's backbreaking work, it's hot, and the only cool part is playing with the baby animals. So I do like that part in Caverna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Durendal posted:

That's not what he meant, he's bigger eurogay than anyone else in our gaming circle. He meant that as in "it's not very euro, so the group should be accepting of it". He's been worn down by years of the rest of us preferring Ameritrash games.