Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do
Not sure where you are getting those numbers from, but no - it's not going to be done in only 2 hours. A general rule that a lot of people go by is 1-1.5 hours per pound, but in my experience it doesn't hold true for smaller briskets (10 pounds or less). I give myself at least 8 hours, regardless of size. At 6 pounds, I think 8-9 hours would be good at 250. As always - it's done when it's done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Assuming you can keep a consistent temperature, your cook time is determined more by the thickness of the meat at its thickest point than by the weight of the cut. You should expect a flat to cook much faster than flat+point because it's significantly thinner, but 2 hours at 250 will probably just get you to around 150F - you'll spend most of your smoke time on a brisket in the stall - not the 195-205 you want. It will be safe to eat, but that's about all you can say for it.

ada shatan posted:

Not sure where you are getting those numbers from, but no - it's not going to be done in only 2 hours. A general rule that a lot of people go by is 1-1.5 hours per pound, but in my experience it doesn't hold true for smaller briskets (10 pounds or less). I give myself at least 8 hours, regardless of size. At 6 pounds, I think 8-9 hours would be good at 250. As always - it's done when it's done.
To expound, there's so many variables because barbecue is all about evaporative cooling. On non-insulated smokers, even identical cuts of meat will cook differently on different days because the convection through the smoker influences the cook time separate from the cook temperature inside. If you're tremendously experienced you can work this out, but "it's done when it's done" is great advice.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 16, 2015

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Pulled it after 7.5 hours at 195. A little over my preferred 185-190 target (I like my brisket with a little something to the bite). Looks pretty daggum good, though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Smoked ribs for the first time for lunch while the pork shoulder finishes off for tonight. This was half the ribs, I decided to sauce half and put back directly over the coals and go with just the rub for the other half to see the difference. Followed the amazing ribs last meal ribs recipe. Considering as can be seen the bone fell out while I was turning them over the coals it wasn't massively overcooked as I expected. No idea why

The pork shoulder is in the oven after 5 hours or so in the smoker because i was running out of coal and struggling to keep the temperature up

edit: I tried the minion method and it failed completely

Jose fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 16, 2015

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Jose posted:

The pork shoulder is in the oven after 5 hours or so in the smoker because i was running out of coal and struggling to keep the temperature up

edit: I tried the minion method and it failed completely
Do you have a WSM or similar smoker, by chance? They really suck at both of these things unless you can fix the leakage problems with some gaskets/food-grade adhesive or a better door.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
Any recommendations for a reliable wireless thermometer? I bought a highly recommended Weber Style last year that was flaky out of the box. Replaced it with a cheap Char-Broil that lasted most of a year before going out of calibration.

I suppose at $20 I can afford to replace it once a year but having it flake out mid-cook is a pain.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Someone gifted me a rub to use today on some ribs so I did.

Why are some rubs just over the top outrageously salty? Is my palette that hosed up??

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Are you using seasoned aka brined cuts of meat? . Some meats in cyropaks are sold seasoned and in those cases you need to cut/delete the salt from your rubs.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Vulture Culture posted:

Do you have a WSM or similar smoker, by chance? They really suck at both of these things unless you can fix the leakage problems with some gaskets/food-grade adhesive or a better door.

Yeah I was. Do you just add them on once its smoking and just remove as you need to take it apart?

Jose fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Aug 17, 2015

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Jose posted:

Yeah I was. Do you just add them on once its smoking and just remove as you need to take it apart?
The standard operating procedure on most smokers is to get your coals as hot as humanly possible, then damper the bottom vents to starve them out to 250 or whatever your preferred cook temperature is. Once you have this down, you don't need to worry about the minion method or whatever (which I still love for doing small smokes on a Weber kettle, BTW), because you can just get your coals white hot in a chimney starter and dump them in as your coals burn down to embers and your smoker temperature starts to wind down. That's because the total amount of combustion in the smoker should be limited by the amount of air coming in through the vents, not the quantity of coal in the chamber. The leakage on the stock WSM is so bad that it's effectively impossible to starve the coals out doing this, and you have to keep screwing around with unlit coals as you progress through your cook or you end up with a 650 degree smoker. This not only makes temperatures hard to control, but it can make your food kind of ashy.

I love the WSM, but it's a weird smoker because while most smokers work entirely off of indirect, radiant heat off the bottom coals, the WSM tends to use more convection because of the air leakage. This means that you need to be really good at working the top vent, which you just keep wide open on most other smokers, to keep your temperatures consistent. The best thing to do is try to cut off the air leakage with some of the common aftermarket modifications (and the Cajun Bandit door is supposedly a great one I haven't gotten around to yet), but I've also found it really helpful to build a wind break to help keep excess air out. (This will also help control your temperatures if you're smoking on a particularly cold day, since the WSM is badly insulated compared to a ceramic smoker like the Big Green Egg.)

The folks over at VirtualWeberBullet.com have a lot of examples of stuff their users have done to keep the wind down using sheet metal, plywood, or crazy things:

http://virtualweberbullet.com/coldtemp.html

These examples are all the full height of the smoker, which is great if you want to provide a small amount of thermal insulation as well, but you really don't need to go much higher than the vents if your goal is just to keep the wind out. My super-ghetto wind break is made of three large coolers placed around the outside of the smoker.

Once you have the wind under control, you can work the WSM like any other smoker. That means as you start to run low on coal, usually around hour 5-6 of the cook, you can fill up another chimney starter, get it right up to temp (budget anywhere from 20-60 minutes, depending on whether you're using paper kindling or a paraffin starter cube), and just dump it in. The coals won't burn any further until they get the fuel they need, and will just emit that great radiant heat.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Aug 17, 2015

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Canuckistan posted:

Are you using seasoned aka brined cuts of meat? . Some meats in cyropaks are sold seasoned and in those cases you need to cut/delete the salt from your rubs.

No these are freshly butchered ribs. The rub is just unbelievably salty even by itself.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

This is all great thanks.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

sellouts posted:

Someone gifted me a rub to use today on some ribs so I did.

Why are some rubs just over the top outrageously salty? Is my palette that hosed up??

It's not your palate that's hosed up; it's everyone else's. And it's not just BBQ rubs, either - there's a fuckload of salt in drat near everything. It's a fast, easy, and cheap way for food manufacturers to make bad things taste good, because we're wired to crave salt by our biochemistry. That trick has been used so much that we eat way more salt than is really needed, and people think that's what good food tastes like.

I do put some salt in my homemade rib rub, but it's way less than most of the other ingredients and a tiny fraction of the overall batch. On your bottled rub, I'd guess salt at or near the top of the list.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Something else to keep in mind is that a lot of these rubs are designed for competition BBQ, and that plays by a whole different set of rules than things you want to actually eat. Judges taste one or two bites of something, so you have to be really flavor-forward and pack that with every single taste that you plan on putting into your meat. The amount of salt that's right for a forkful of pork shoulder isn't right for a 4 oz. portion.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

That's a really good point, I'm pretty sure it's from some competition bbq guys.

I hate to waste a gift but it's borderline inedible, especially for something meant to be used on memphis style ribs.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
well you could still add a bunch of other spices to it to lower the ratio of salt:spices.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Looks like I'm cooking Rosh Hashana dinner for my girlfriend's family. I want to get some brisket points, corn them myself, and them cook them. Can anyone recommend an online source for kosher beef?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
While you're on the subject of different vessels and their cooking technique: I was at some family this weekend and they have a pellet smoker (Traeger, electronic control). They said their neighbor also got one and is going to sell their BGE (this is 800 miles away or I would make an offer)--is a Traeger nicer to smoke with than a BGE with HeaterMeater? Does the all-[strike]hardwood[/strike]sawdust pellet make a big difference? I guess another way to put it: if money were no object, would you smoke on both?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Phanatic posted:

Looks like I'm cooking Rosh Hashana dinner for my girlfriend's family. I want to get some brisket points, corn them myself, and them cook them. Can anyone recommend an online source for kosher beef?
I assume you're familiar with the normal rules of kashrut including needing to use separate appliances and utensils that have not come into contact with non-kosher food (doing so renders them unclean).

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Hed posted:

While you're on the subject of different vessels and their cooking technique: I was at some family this weekend and they have a pellet smoker (Traeger, electronic control). They said their neighbor also got one and is going to sell their BGE (this is 800 miles away or I would make an offer)--is a Traeger nicer to smoke with than a BGE with HeaterMeater? Does the all-[strike]hardwood[/strike]sawdust pellet make a big difference? I guess another way to put it: if money were no object, would you smoke on both?
One drawback to pellet smokers is that they don't give off much smoke at higher temperatures. So if you're trying to do chicken at 325, you might not get as rich a flavor as you would with something like a BGE running lump. On the other hand, pellets produce very little ash, while ceramic smokers are very known for being comparatively ashy. Don't worry about the sawdust -- it's not like they're held together with adhesive like particle board, it's just wood pressed and shaped at very high temperature and pressure. In general, the pellets have even fewer additives than briquets, and possibly lump depending on how much you trust the lump charcoal companies not to burn treated lumber.

They're both great smokers though, so it really comes down to a matter of cooking style and personal preference.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Does anybody have any good uses for leftover ribs?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Vulture Culture posted:

I assume you're familiar with the normal rules of kashrut including needing to use separate appliances and utensils that have not come into contact with non-kosher food (doing so renders them unclean).

Yes, I am, but they're not really all that particular about it. They generally cook kosher at home, but other than that they don't care. First time she took me to meet her folks we met them at a restaurant and they had already ordered a lobster-and-cheese dip for an appetizer. As long as the beef has a K on it, they don't care what utensils get used and I don't need my kitchen supervised by a rabbi.

lifts cats over head posted:

Frittata. Leftover everything goes into a frittata.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 18, 2015

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

lifts cats over head posted:

Eat them.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Anyone here make chili out of leftover pulled pork? I smoked a Costco 2 pack a few weeks ago and froze a bunch of it. It occurs to me that it could be good in chili and I have a potluck coming up this weekend. I'm looking for recipes if you have a good one; a lot of the ones I ran across online seem a little weird.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
Sorry if this isn't the right place but been reading this smoking thread and getting excited!

I'm hopefully soon going to be moving into a place with outside space for the first time in all my life in London and I desperately want to get a fancy bbq/smoker. Space will be at a premium too.

I've wanted a big green egg for years but now I actually have the space to get one I realise there are other Kamado grill available and I was wondering if anyone has experience with these and wether its just saving a few £100 in the short run but you'll regret it in the long term?

I was thinking of the BGE Medium but the bundle tops out at about £1100 but I notice a Kamado Joe 18 inch for £800.

This is in the UK since i'm guessing we dont have the selection of America.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

therobit posted:

Anyone here make chili out of leftover pulled pork? I smoked a Costco 2 pack a few weeks ago and froze a bunch of it. It occurs to me that it could be good in chili and I have a potluck coming up this weekend. I'm looking for recipes if you have a good one; a lot of the ones I ran across online seem a little weird.

I've done it. It's pretty much the same as with beef although you don't need the meat to break down further. I found it was too greasy for my liking on account of the high fat content of the pork. Skimming would not be out of place. At the very least serve over a highly absorbent starch/carb such as rice.

If you're open to other recommendations, I use left over pulled pork in my congee with fantastic results.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

sellouts posted:

That's a really good point, I'm pretty sure it's from some competition bbq guys.

I hate to waste a gift but it's borderline inedible, especially for something meant to be used on memphis style ribs.

How much salt's i nthe drat thing? I have to put on an assload to oversalt.

I've been in the habit of just keeping my rubs without salt though, and salting the meat first.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

by.a.teammate posted:

Sorry if this isn't the right place but been reading this smoking thread and getting excited!

I'm hopefully soon going to be moving into a place with outside space for the first time in all my life in London and I desperately want to get a fancy bbq/smoker. Space will be at a premium too.

I've wanted a big green egg for years but now I actually have the space to get one I realise there are other Kamado grill available and I was wondering if anyone has experience with these and wether its just saving a few £100 in the short run but you'll regret it in the long term?

I was thinking of the BGE Medium but the bundle tops out at about £1100 but I notice a Kamado Joe 18 inch for £800.

This is in the UK since i'm guessing we dont have the selection of America.

Medium BGEs are just too small. Large or bigger, even if you are considering the knock off options.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

Medium BGEs are just too small. Large or bigger, even if you are considering the knock off options.

Ah okay, so i've seen this Kamado Joe one...

http://www.londonbarbecueschool.co.uk/barbecue-shop/barbecues/kamado-joe-classic-18-34-red-detail.html

Is this a good size? it seems like you get a lot of kit for a lot less money, im not sure what the downside is though the plate setter/indirect heat plate looks a bit cheaper.

Hobospider
Oct 17, 2002

That Kamado Joe is the same size as the large BGE (18")

My BGE is 15 years old now and still works great but if I were in the market I would definitely look at Kamado Joe. I helped some friends set theirs up and I liked the build quality.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007

Hobospider posted:

That Kamado Joe is the same size as the large BGE (18")

My BGE is 15 years old now and still works great but if I were in the market I would definitely look at Kamado Joe. I helped some friends set theirs up and I liked the build quality.

That's good to hear it looks a solid build, It's such a big saving its hard not to go for it, it seems the only thing you can't get is a snuffer but I assume you can just close the top vent and get the same effect? If no one has anything bad to say about the build quality, etc i think i'll go for this.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Crazyeyes posted:

It's pretty much the same as with beef although you don't need the meat to break down further.
Read: add the meat towards the end, and do not overcook, or you'll be unhappy with the result.

I find that tomato doesn't go very well with pulled pork, so I tend to use a lot of fresh chilies to complement the brightness and delicate flavors of the pork. Roast or broil some anaheims and poblanos and use those to form the foundation of the chili. Chipotles are nice for adding a little extra smokiness, but don't overdo it; I find that overusing stuff like anchos or smoked paprika gives the wrong kind of flavor profile.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

therobit posted:

I know this isn't what you were asking but I love reheating the leftover pork in a little butter and then adding lime and making carnitas tacos. Easy to just add it to a crock pot or Dutch oven and let people make their own.

Hadn't thought of doing chili with it but I look forward to seeing some of the responses. I agree with adding it real late because I fear it would get mushy really quick and would detract from the rest of the chili.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I've used it. I basically just throw it in to warm it since early on it would get dry I would think...

my go tos for leftover pulled pork are carnitas for sure (let it get a little crispy though, and it's better if it's more chunky than ribbons), hash, or eggs benny.

I actually threw some on a pizza I made recently and that was rad too.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Pulled pork nachos.

You're welcome. :colbert:

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

BraveUlysses posted:

Pulled pork nachos.

You're welcome. :colbert:

Those are soooooo good.

I also put some in mashed potatoes.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Vulture Culture posted:

Read: add the meat towards the end, and do not overcook, or you'll be unhappy with the result.

I find that tomato doesn't go very well with pulled pork, so I tend to use a lot of fresh chilies to complement the brightness and delicate flavors of the pork. Roast or broil some anaheims and poblanos and use those to form the foundation of the chili. Chipotles are nice for adding a little extra smokiness, but don't overdo it; I find that overusing stuff like anchos or smoked paprika gives the wrong kind of flavor profile.

100% all this. Expanding on my original statement: if you put the pork in for the whole cook time it will break down into slop and the texture will be kinda foul. Like a really weird and perhaps gritty ground beef chili.

A great option is doing a green chili rather than red/brown. The flavors will work a lot better with the flavor of the pork which will be easily masked/overpowered by peppers and tomato. Green chili rocks and anyone who says it aint chili is a damned fool.

Pulled pork is good for nearly anything as far as reuse, just avoid cooking it any more than you have to. Reheat and eat.

Crazyeyes fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 21, 2015

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Thanks for all the thoughtful replies. I will take a look at some green chili recipes and see if I can pull something off. It is an afternoon party with hamburgers and such so I don't think I'll go with congee (had to look that one up) this time, although I think we have had congee at a dim sum place before and it was great. I'll try that with the leftovers from the next batch.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Crazyeyes posted:

A great option is doing a green chili rather than red/brown. The flavors will work a lot better with the flavor of the pork which will be easily masked/overpowered by peppers and tomato. Green chili rocks and anyone who says it aint chili is a damned fool.
Depends on the peppers. Cubanelles (which are commonly used for sofrito) are super-mild, have a lot of subtlety, and do a great job with roasted or smoked pork. Green chili is great, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Vulture Culture posted:

Depends on the peppers. Cubanelles (which are commonly used for sofrito) are super-mild, have a lot of subtlety, and do a great job with roasted or smoked pork. Green chili is great, though.

Never had those peppers before so I'll defer to your expertise on that.

As much as I could talk for days about chili, this is the smoking thread, daggumit!

Nice butt for tomorrow. Mustard coated followed by Butt Rub spice mix and a little brown sugar. Gon' be goooooood.