Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

cargohills posted:

Good turn-based games are way better than RTWP. See: XCOM, Shadowrun

Shadowrun has very mediocre gameplay saved by a good writing and plot. The game does give you a good incentive for avoiding combat by making it so dull and mechanical. Not that it stopped me from spending most of yesterday playing HK, but honestly I wish they had just made them as point and click adventure games instead of trying and failing to make something like XCom.

I will agree that XCom is great but it is't really an exploration based RPG, which is when I prefer RTWP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
RTWP is a halfway house, its to fast to properly plan things without constantly mashing the pause button, but you are expected to manage things to much for real time.

I can live with it. but I alway feel like I'm not pausing enough during fights, or there are a lot of options I'm not using. I want to react to combat, or plan for it, not a bit of both!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Serf posted:

The greatest crime is that we never got the 4E turn-based tactical dungeon crawler that we should have. If there ever was a game primed for being turned into a CRPG it was 4E.

this would have been really great

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

bunnielab posted:

How people can hate on realtime-with-pause is beyond me. Turn based is so dull.

I am curious to see if I have matured at all in the last 25 years or if Eye of the Beholder will still make me fly into a frustrated rage.
There are a lot of general game design reasons to prefer turn-based to real-time-with-pause, but specific to the D&D games, the strongest one is that the original tabletop game being ported from is turn-based.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Grey Hunter posted:

RTWP is a halfway house, its to fast to properly plan things without constantly mashing the pause button, but you are expected to manage things to much for real time.

I can live with it. but I alway feel like I'm not pausing enough during fights, or there are a lot of options I'm not using. I want to react to combat, or plan for it, not a bit of both!

Which is why RTWP is the best, assuming the game has a decent auto-pause menu. You can tweak the combat speed and complexity to your liking.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

There are a lot of general game design reasons to prefer turn-based to real-time-with-pause, but specific to the D&D games, the strongest one is that the original tabletop game being ported from is turn-based.

Sure, but it had/has and initiative system and I don't think that is a valid point in any case as RTWP is not something you can do in a tabletop game.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

bunnielab posted:

Shadowrun has very mediocre gameplay saved by a good writing and plot. The game does give you a good incentive for avoiding combat by making it so dull and mechanical. Not that it stopped me from spending most of yesterday playing HK, but honestly I wish they had just made them as point and click adventure games instead of trying and failing to make something like XCom.

I will agree that XCom is great but it is't really an exploration based RPG, which is when I prefer RTWP.

Shadowrun's system is still miles ahead of something like Baldur's Gate. Even Fallout, which has a pretty terrible turn-based system, is also better than RTWP.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Well, consider games that split up actions into actual lengths of time and you just "pause" the game to have everyone take their turns at a confluence of actions done, or you process people in order of their actions completing. Those are "real-time" systems because time is treated as constantly passing.

It's kind of a joke in the Infinity Engine games when one of the auto-pause options is "when a round has passed". If swinging a sword takes x seconds and swinging a polearm takes y seconds (and you know this because AD&D specifies weapon speed factors) but you're still not going to evenly divide them up over time and instead abide by the strict attacks-per-round anyway, what are you really gaining from turning the game real-time?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Why are you arguing about a thing that's just personal preference?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Andrast posted:

Welcome to the internetlife, enjoy your stay.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

What else is there to do at 9am on a Friday morning?

cargohills posted:

Shadowrun's system is still miles ahead of something like Baldur's Gate. Even Fallout, which has a pretty terrible turn-based system, is also better than RTWP.

This guy most likely puts beans in his chilli.

Speaking of D&D, I am cleaning out my parent's garage and am would love to give the following old lead minis away to a good home.

They are mostly all labeled TSR and Ral Partha, I must have bought them in the early to mid 90's. I am going to keep a few of the painted ones for my desk, maybe just the twin mind flayers and the wizard/warlock looking dude. If anyone wants them let me know and I can stick them in the mail next week. They should all fit in a $5 flat rate box and I will cover shipping unless you live somewhere weird.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

bunnielab posted:

How people can hate on realtime-with-pause is beyond me. Turn based is so dull.

I am curious to see if I have matured at all in the last 25 years or if Eye of the Beholder will still make me fly into a frustrated rage.

Because realtime-with-pause is actually just "realtime-until-it's-hard-then-pause." If the issue with turn based combat is that fighting weak enemies is boring (the thing that realtime alleviates), get rid of the weak enemies.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Americans are incredibly bad at making RPG videogames. Only the Slavic and Japanese races can make good ones.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

False. Americans made Alpha Protocol.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Potsticker posted:

False. Americans made Alpha Protocol.

Under the benevolent gaze of their Japanese overlords, Sega.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Ojetor posted:

Under the benevolent gaze of their Japanese overlords, Sega.

Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Mass Effect...

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Error 404 posted:

What about them?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

get the gently caress out of here with racism

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Also Koreans made DFO and TERA so they can be welcomed into the good RPG makers group, as trial members pending approval.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Countblanc posted:

What about them?

RPG videogames made by americans (and canadians)

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 21, 2015

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Countblanc posted:

What about them?

They're all bad.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Error 404 posted:

Those have some lovely rear end gameplay dude.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Potsticker posted:

They're all bad.

:grin:

DarckRedd
Oct 11, 2009

Error 404 posted:

Way to make his point for him.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

2400 AD came from America and that was pretty good.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I admit having to look where it came from first, but Hired Guns came out of a little company out of Scotland called DMA Design.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Those have some lovely rear end gameplay dude.

They're miles ahead of any final fantasy game tho.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Error 404 posted:

They're miles ahead of any final fantasy game tho.

They aren't even as good RPGs as Doom RPG for old feature phones.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Unlike modern Bethesda games even the shittiest Compile Heart pile doesnt require mods to be playable and even those have better story than Mass loving Effect.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Potsticker posted:

They aren't even as good RPGs as Doom RPG for old feature phones.

why?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Unlike modern Bethesda games even the shittiest Compile Heart pile doesnt require mods to be playable and even those have better story than Mass loving Effect.

which says a lot about final fantasy that it's so much worse than even that.

really makes u think

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Better map structure, better combat and better method of conveying the story to the player. Also included: Orcs & Elved I + II, or even Hexen.

Dec 26, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Because realtime-with-pause is actually just "realtime-until-it's-hard-then-pause." If the issue with turn based combat is that fighting weak enemies is boring (the thing that realtime alleviates), get rid of the weak enemies.

This is correct.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Error 404 posted:

which says a lot about final fantasy that it's so much worse than even that.

really makes u think

Final Fantasy Tactics is better than literally every game made in Earth (jury's out on MGS V: The Phantom Pain).

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Countblanc posted:

Sure, but games never do this, the Shadowrun games are especially bad at this, you can just wreck a combat and still have so much tedious clicking to mop every one up. I can deal with turn based games if they have an initiative system, otherwise you might as well go get a drink during the NCP turn if there are more than three guys on the screen.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Riven was made by Canadians, right? That's a better RPG than that list. Hell, even Zork: Grand Inquisitor was better. If you need stats then Beyond Zork is another far superior RPG and that's not even getting into Ultima IV, V, or Underworld.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Potsticker posted:

Riven was made by Canadians, right?

Aside from "perfectly generic human" being the only role being played in Riven, the company is based in Spokane.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

inklesspen posted:

Aside from "perfectly generic human" being the only role being played in Riven, the company is based in Spokane.

"perfectly generic MALE human" is how you're treated in most of the Elder Scrolls game and at least half the Fallout games, the other half losing the gender modifier. Cmnd. Shepard is also not far from a generic humam.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Arcanum has better interaction with the player's choice of race and gender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DarckRedd posted:

Way to make his point for him.
Hey now, he may have meant the original Fallouts.

• Locked thread