Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

You may want to level up two teams, just in case.
Sounds good. But forget people I don't enjoy using?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

rizuhbull posted:

Any reason to level up everyone in Type-0? I'm leaning towards just finding who I like to play with and sticking with those members.

I find myself so far having a strong dislike towards ace and queen. I get the feeling sadly I'm going to be stuck with them.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I find it quite surprising that PC Gamer have brought Durante on board to do this for them, but they didn't buy him a 980 or 980ti.

Queen was the only character I even vaguely enjoyed playing with.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

rizuhbull posted:

Sounds good. But forget people I don't enjoy using?

Ranged characters make it much easier to hit weak points, other than that just use whoever you like, yeah.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aurain posted:

I find it quite surprising that PC Gamer have brought Durante on board to do this for them, but they didn't buy him a 980 or 980ti.

Queen was the only character I even vaguely enjoyed playing with.

the game wont go above 30fps and the 970 rendered it at 4k just fine. A better card would have provided no additional info

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yes it is. "I want to hear this game just like they do in GLORIOUS NIPPON :japan:" is pretty dumb and lol if you think games made with a worldwide audience in mind have some sort of loving "original direction" priority for Japanese or any other language. You're approaching the territory of the FFXIV OF posters who bitch and moan that the English text isn't a literal word-for-word translation of the Japanese script.

The only reason to use subs instead of dubs is if the dub is completely phoned in and :effort: as hell. At that point it's less about sub vs dub and more about "wow the English VAs for Eternal Sonata are even worse than the gameplay itself why does this little midget girl speak like a retarded cowboy."

Why are you people so angry over such incredibly pointless things?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Fauxtool posted:

the game wont go above 30fps and the 970 rendered it at 4k just fine. A better card would have provided no additional info

Not specifically for Type-0. Just thinking that a dude who is being asked to report on the visual quality and indepth ins and outs of PC ports would have a better card than he does.

I wouldn't complain if I had a 970 personally but I don't do what Durante does.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kanfy posted:

Why are you people so angry over such incredibly pointless things?

Folks just want their tastes to be justified, it's been this way since the dawn of human history.

For me, it's really just contextual. Sometimes, pantomime feels like it fits better; sometimes, a voice track fits a game. It's why I can be ehh on FF4-DS and Tales of Eternia but excited about Lost Odyssey and Tales of Vesperia. Same goes for native vs localized: Lost Odyssey is an example of a game with a great native language actors and a subpar localized ones. Lupin III and Cowboy Bebop are examples of great localized VA and uninspiring native language tracks. It's part of the reason why I liked the old Musou games and why I'm excited for Grandia 2 coming to Steam on Monday: let me hear all of them and then choose the one I like best.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I see the usual choice of Cowboy Bebop being brought up and it has always struck me as oddly fitting. CB is very much a "Western" show, in spite of being an anime. Some anime are more Japanese than others is my point and I have always wondered if some people just gravitate towards dubs for more "Western" anime. Contrast something like Bebop with...I dunno, Kenshin.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

I see the usual choice of Cowboy Bebop being brought up and it has always struck me as oddly fitting. CB is very much a "Western" show, in spite of being an anime. Some anime are more Japanese than others is my point and I have always wondered if some people just gravitate towards dubs for more "Western" anime. Contrast something like Bebop with...I dunno, Kenshin.

Kenshin had an awful dub. Bebop had a fantastic dub. It's as clear as that.

People defend Japanese voice direction because there's more money and more focus spent, and that's it. Dubs are performed on a shoestring budget, and the language/translation barrier is real. The original script and team can often produce something great because they're all in on it together. And that often gets lost overseas, here.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Cromartie High School is japanese as gently caress and it's much better in english

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I have no problem with the Kenshin dub. Unless you're talking about the Samurai X movies which were indeed terrible.

The stuff people most complain about in the Rurouni Kenshin dub though are problems that simply don't exist in a series like Bebop, such as how to pronounce the crazy technique names. I also noticed they kept switching around Seijuro Hiko and Hiko Seijuro. To this day I don't know which is the first or last name.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

Folks just want their tastes to be justified, it's been this way since the dawn of human history.

Sure, but hurling insults at internet strangers over something like this and going "THE ONLY REASON YOU LIKE THING DIFFERENT FROM ME IS COZ YOU'RE DUMB IDIOT" is extremely silly regardless of what you prefer. Even moreso because a person from the US who is used to seeing most things in their own language without the need for subtitles and a person from Finland who has read subtitles all their life are naturally going to have different experiences when it comes to this stuff.

Just consume your entertainment how you like and let other internet people do things their own way, it's not that hard nor is it worth fighting about in the Final Fantasy Megathread: Every game is the worst game in the series.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Al Borland posted:

I find myself so far having a strong dislike towards ace and queen. I get the feeling sadly I'm going to be stuck with them.

There's only really one fight in the whole game where you can't choose your characters, and it doesn't matter how strong they are.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Queen is a supe fast, agile and easy to combo character with a good AoE attack and magic rate. Her only flaw is that she is not King or Trey who are built to abuse Kill Sights.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I don't have a phone to play Triple Triad with. :( I bet by the time I get one the 'Random' rule will have spread throughout this region.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

As a non-native english speaker being surrounded by dubbed media in my childhood years would have sucked because you don't learn anything from it

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tonfa posted:

As a non-native english speaker being surrounded by dubbed media in my childhood years would have sucked because you don't learn anything from it

Having subtitles in British/American TV shows definitely helped me learn English.

I also drove my parents up the wall by constantly asking for translation in games like Ocarina of Time where I needed to find out where to go.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

FFXV will be much better if it doesn't have any dialogue in it whatsoever IMO.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

All plot and characterisation will be conveyed via interpretive dance.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Tonfa posted:

Counterpoint: I like listening to dubs of things that I know well in English, in order to practise listening skills in other languages.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

PT6A posted:

Counterpoint: I like listening to dubs of things that I know well in English, in order to practise listening skills in other languages.

lol :japan:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

My favorite Triple Triad memory is (spoiler for disc 3 of FF8) the space station being ready to blow up and Squall stops everything to ask Ellone to play a children's card game and she's completely baffled "Now??". You're the best Squall, don't let anyone say otherwise.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
ff8 is one of the least liked final fantasies from what i saw on the internet, but i like it a lot :saddowns:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

RottenK posted:

ff8 is one of the least liked final fantasies from what i saw on the internet, but i like it a lot :saddowns:

That's okay, I liked Vandal Hearts 2 and I've played through Neverwinter Night's OC campaign probably 5 times. We're all allowed to like bad things.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
Okay let's see if this Triple Triad game will be worth my time... urgh. What's the menu selection music? It's awful I hate this game it's terribOH GOD THE TRIPLE TRIAD MUSIC FOR THE ACTUAL GAME YESSSSSSS THIS IS AWWWEEEESSSSSOOOOOMMMMEEEE.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I downloaded the FF Portal on my phone and FFI since it was free. Which verson of FFI is this? As in, what's been fixed/changed/still broken (I see they have an MP system rather than the original spell uses)?

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Kanfy posted:

That's okay, I liked Vandal Hearts 2 and I've played through Neverwinter Night's OC campaign probably 5 times. We're all allowed to like bad things.

I don't know why people poo poo on NWN1's campaign so much. The only bad part imo was the final boss which was weird and anticlimactic

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Fhqwhgads posted:

I downloaded the FF Portal on my phone and FFI since it was free. Which verson of FFI is this? As in, what's been fixed/changed/still broken (I see they have an MP system rather than the original spell uses)?

Think it's the PSP release (HD version of GBA version with new content/magic system), which was on the IOS/Android before, but never optimized for tablets that this version seems to be.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

RottenK posted:

Same. It's cool that FF7 was a massive hit and they followed it up with something so weird.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Every final fantasy they've ever done, they've followed up with something weird.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Excels posted:

I don't know why people poo poo on NWN1's campaign so much. The only bad part imo was the final boss which was weird and anticlimactic

Because it's very formulaic and the plot isn't particularly interesting, mostly. Hordes of the Underdark is real rad though and much like Final Fantasy, has some great tunes. Rebel Camp is still one of my favorite video game tracks.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
8 is a standout since you can turn random encounter's off fairly early and boost your stats solely by winning people's cards and turning them into items that turn into magic that turn you into a 17 year old juggernaut.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Hey man, Abenomics is artificially depressing the yen and they've dropped their airfare to attract tourists. Now's a great time to own your nerd-rear end roots :colbert:

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Tae posted:

So it's a good port, the only negative is that the low FPS problems is because it's automatically doing a 4k down sample or something?

I guess they couldn't figure out how to do actual anti-aliasing, so they instead decided to do it by secretly rendering the game at a higher resolution and downsampling. It's probably why you have only two resolution options.

Square Japan is making the possible impossible.

Raise your hand if you thought Square would release the SNES version of FFIV and FFV (or any of the 2D re-releases) when they announced their plans to release these two games on Steam. I'm raising mine.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Blattdorf posted:

I guess they couldn't figure out how to do actual anti-aliasing, so they instead decided to do it by secretly rendering the game at a higher resolution and downsampling. It's probably why you have only two resolution options.

Square Japan is making the possible impossible.

Raise your hand if you thought Square would release the SNES version of FFIV and FFV (or any of the 2D re-releases) when they announced their plans to release these two games on Steam. I'm raising mine.

It has decent AA and it has 2x downsampling, the problem is they're both controlled by the same slider and it just says "antialiasing", so the people who usually crank all their graphics settings to Highest are getting a tasty surprise.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

All plot and characterisation will be conveyed via interpretive dance.
mario & luigi

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Endorph posted:

mario & luigi

Not quite. They do speak a bit, but it's incomprehenisble to everybody playing due to Italianese being a lost language.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I want a FF8 remake so I can see the anguish on Zell's mom's face when I take her precious Zell card and feed it to my weird thunder dragon thing to get 3 Hyper Wrists that I'll never use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Not quite. They do speak a bit, but it's incomprehenisble to everybody playing due to Italianese being a lost language.

i like the soundbyte for mario talking in M&L, it's like "SCABITABOOPITYBAP"