Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

What's funny about Rand is that her books also require the men of ability to be the underdogs, hated and shunned by society and opposed by men of wealth and power.

It's autobiographical. Rand saw herself as an artistic genius who was objectively and by definition right about everything, but was marginalized and ignored by the ignorant masses and exploited or mistreated by powerful elites (in her case, movie studios and publishing companies). This is why you have characters in Atlas Shrugged who are entrepreneurs or scientist-inventors, but the way those occupations work in the novel has no resemblance whatsoever to the reality of business or engineering. They're written as creative types, artists or writers, but with a thrown-over veneer of a more immediately productive occupation like railroad management or metals manufacturing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

CommieGIR posted:

The argument against Rand is that Rand argues that the wealthy and the leaders cannot be wrong.

Yeah a result which is generally true only if being wrong leads to losing money which is exactly what's happening in this example.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Don't forget that Ayn Rand had to put in a literal free energy machine for her Galt's Gulch to function at all. :laugh:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

EvanSchenck posted:

It's autobiographical. Rand saw herself as an artistic genius who was objectively and by definition right about everything, but was marginalized and ignored by the ignorant masses and exploited or mistreated by powerful elites (in her case, movie studios and publishing companies). This is why you have characters in Atlas Shrugged who are entrepreneurs or scientist-inventors, but the way those occupations work in the novel has no resemblance whatsoever to the reality of business or engineering. They're written as creative types, artists or writers, but with a thrown-over veneer of a more immediately productive occupation like railroad management or metals manufacturing.

Ayn Rand also thought that she was a better philosopher than Plato, Aristotle, and Socrates.

Combined.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

Don't forget that Ayn Rand had to put in a literal free energy machine for her Galt's Gulch to function at all. :laugh:

Yet they still needed that oil tycoon to come drill oil wells for some reason :confused:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
If you look at her personal life, her belief wasn't so much "everybody should do what is best for them" as "everybody should do what is best for me".

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

VitalSigns posted:

Yet they still needed that oil tycoon to come drill oil wells for some reason :confused:

Oil wells are an expression of man's domination of the earth, after all.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Nintendo Kid posted:

Oil wells are an expression of man's domination of the earth, after all.

i was going to write something about the unsettling psychosexual implications of this but i managed to gross myself out

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

Well, yeah.

Oil is free energy :smuggo:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I love that the one advantage of Galt's Gulch is that magic technology means they no longer have to burn fossil fuels and pollute the air and water, and Rand's like "nope gently caress that, the smog must flow"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Free clean energy doesn't mean they don't need petro chemicals, they're used for a lot of stuff other than burning for energy, plastics, lubes, all sorts of stuff.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

V. Illych L. posted:

i was going to write something about the unsettling psychosexual implications of this but i managed to gross myself out

Yeah it's just pretty direct "Ayn wants to be drilled hard", so yeah pretty gross.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

asdf32 posted:

Yeah a result which is generally true only if being wrong leads to losing money which is exactly what's happening in this example.

He, personally, is not losing any money, though.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Who What Now posted:

As I understand it he's managed to make quite a bit of money off of this whole debacle.

So what excuse do our libertarian friends give for the fact that it's not only possible but common for unethical people to make lots of money by shifting the actual damage onto others? Lampert is well on his way to destroying Sears, thereby putting (googles) 196,000 people out of work, while he's basically set for life.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Guilty Spork posted:

As I understand it he's managed to make quite a bit of money off of this whole debacle.

So what excuse do our libertarian friends give for the fact that it's not only possible but common for unethical people to make lots of money by shifting the actual damage onto others? Lampert is well on his way to destroying Sears, thereby putting (googles) 196,000 people out of work, while he's basically set for life.

They're just exploiting the legal situation of the nation in a savvy way. I'm sure there is some law that's preventing us from doing anything about it so remove all laws to be sure.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

asdf32 posted:

So yes Sears is failing but pointing out how a rich guy is losing all his money by running a business badly is not an argument against Rand.

He's running a business badly because he's a strict adherent to Rand's ideas. That's an argument against Rand.

Ayn Rand's ideas are killing Sears.

e: Unless you're in the "individualism can not fail, it can only be failed" camp I guess

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
Is lampert also majority shareholder? Is Sears not public anymore?

Cause if there is a board that hasn't moved to get rid of him yet wtf is wrong with them

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

Is lampert also majority shareholder? Is Sears not public anymore?

Cause if there is a board that hasn't moved to get rid of him yet wtf is wrong with them

Far as I know that can depend on a lot of things. He might have an inviolable contract or the process to get rid of him may be too long. It may also be that the shareholders are getting paid so whatever who cares. It may also be that he has a severance package that would potentially bankrupt the company. It's also possible that the shareholders are largely absentees/holding companies that aren't paying that much attention. Given the fuckery that the financial sector has gotten up to in the past few decades there may also be some kind of insurance scheme going on where the owners make money even if the stock implodes. There could be a lot of reasons. poo poo may also be "not bad enough yet" to oust him.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

QuarkJets posted:

He's running a business badly because he's a strict adherent to Rand's ideas. That's an argument against Rand.

He is also losing money personally, he's dropped on the Wealth list.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Lampert's hedge fund holds 49% of Sears. It would take a lot to unseat him

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Who What Now posted:

While not in danger of homelessness anytime soon, this is incorrect.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

QuarkJets posted:

Ayn Rand's ideas are killing Sears.
Neophyte, you have forgotten the holy teachings. Remember that Francisco d'Anconia also sabotaged his business. He did not do this by mistake, nor out of malice, nor from misguided optimism, nor by misunderstanding his market. He did it out of love. He tore down a bloated, inefficient, tax-paying and government-subsidized monstrosity so that its proud name could - one day in the far future - once again rise over the door of an honest merchant. If that merchant earned but a single dollar in a mutually-beneficial trade between rational men, it would far outweigh the billions in annual revenue which were cajoled and looted under a system of violent tyranny.

Do you understand now? Lampert has freed thousands of workers from minimally-productive retail jobs, and thus encouraged them to pursue their dreams of becoming architects and metallurgists. He has placed valuable real estate for sale upon the free market, thus ensuring that it will be acquired by the most productive buyer and used to achieve the greatest possible benefit. By under-funding and mismanaging the company pension plan, he has taught retirees a valuable lesson about self-reliance. He has diminished his company's paper value, reminding all rational men of the foolishness of placing trust in accounting gimmicks (and the importance of gold as the only proper unit of exchange or store of value).

Lampert is not killing Sears. He is turning it into something which deserves to exist.

Aynrandu akbar!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

So this has been on the front page on r/politics all day:

http://reason.com/archives/2015/08/20/the-federal-reserve-is-not-your-friend

I hear this all the time from libertarians so it's nothing new, but anyone wanna take a moment to take this down?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mr Interweb posted:

So this has been on the front page on r/politics all day:

I hear this all the time from libertarians so it's nothing new, but anyone wanna take a moment to take this down?

Sure.

The article is written by Rand Paul. All you need to know.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Rand Paul Trying To Convince Us To End The Fed posted:

Rather than bailing out struggling homeowners who were underwater, with higher mortgage debt than their homes were worth, the Fed instead loaded up on U.S. Treasuries (its own IOUs) and mortgage-backed securities—the very same "toxic assets" that reflected the horrible judgment of many investment bankers and the ratings agencies that signed off on the shenanigans. It is no coincidence that the federal government was able to run trillion-dollar-plus deficits for four consecutive years with no concern from the financial markets; everyone knows the Fed stands in the wings, willing to "print" new legal tender and sop up Uncle Sam's IOUs (which eventually come due, as we are now seeing in Greece).

When it comes to money, politicians are often seen as the least trustworthy. But in the debate over income and wealth inequality, few people point the finger at the biggest benefactor of the wheeler dealer crony capitalists: the Federal Reserve. The nation's central bank, which regulates all other banks and has the power to create money simply by buying assets, should be under the utmost scrutiny. Yet, perversely, members of Congress have to fight an uphill battle just to audit the Fed. We do not want to politicize monetary policy (as our detractors allege), but rather simply shine a very bright light on this unaccountable and unchecked (and thus entirely un-American) power. By doing this, we may finally be able to rein it in.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2010/10/26/173595/rand-paul-hamp/

Rand Paul When The Fed Tries To Help Us Even A Tiny Bit posted:

PAUL: I think that the TARP funds that are left should go to restore the deficit and to try and pay off debt. I think the TARP funds, the whole entire $800 billion should have never been spent…I would vote for any unused funds to go back to try to offset the deficit. […]
Q: What’s going to happen to those people [who are underwater on their mortgages]?
PAUL: Well, nothing good. And it’s not something that makes any of us happy. I mean, it’s really a tragedy. But the tragedy really, if you want to think this through, is the bad policy by Barney Frank and others.

Hmmm

Caros
May 14, 2008

quote:

Imagine that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) was a corporation, with its shares owned by the nation's major pharmaceutical companies. How would you feel about the regulation of medications? Whose interests would this corporation be serving? Or suppose that major oil companies appointed a small committee to periodically announce the price of a barrel of crude in the United States. How would that impact you at the gasoline pump?

Imagine if unicorns were real and dogs and cats lived together in harmony.

Right off the bat this doesn't make sense. The FDA's job is to regulate the drug industry (and others) to ensure the safety of the general populace, while the Federal Reserve is tasked with acting as a lender of last resort and stabilizing the monetary supply. While it is true that the Fed does serve in an oversight capacity this is not its only job nor is the fed the singular agency responsible as is the case with the FDA.

His second example isn't much better. The fed is not a sinister cabal of oil executives, it was in fact founded by an act of congress. That alone should throw his example in the trash, but he compounds his ignorance by talking about 'announcing the price' which is of course not at all what the fed does. The fed wishes it could announce the value of the dollar as it would make life a heck of a lot easier. I don't even know what to say about the last part since its just a wink wink, nudge nudge hypothetical that holds no relation to reality.

Finally, it is worth noting that the shares owned in the Fed act significantly differently than typical shares in stock. Historically the dividends paid off by this stock have just barely or not at all covered the cost of zero-interest fractional reserves member banks have been required to hold at the Fed.

quote:

Such hypotheticals would strike the majority of Americans as completely absurd, but it's exactly how our banking system operates.

Counterpoint: It is in no way how our banking system operates. Rand Paul is a loving moron.

quote:

The Federal Reserve is literally owned by the nation's commercial banks, with a rotation of the regional Reserve Bank presidents constituting 5 of the 12 voting members of the Federal Open Market Committee (FOMC), the body that sets targets for certain interest rates. The other 7 members of the FOMC are the D.C.-based Board of Governors—which includes the Fed chairperson, currently Janet Yellen—and are nominated by the President. The Fed serves its owners and patrons—the big banks and the federal government, while the rest of Americans get left behind.

See the cool thing here? Rand Paul admits out in the open that the majority of FOMC members are nominated by the President (and confirmed by the senate). Despite that he argues that the Fed serves the federal government and leaves America behind. For this to be true we basically have to buy into the view that the federal government is a total sham. While this nihilistic viewpoint certainly appeals to Senator Rand "Destroy the Washington Machine" Paul it doesn't necessarily hold to be true for everyone else.

I mean its certainly possible, but there is a certain irony to a sitting senator talking about how the federal government is only out for itself, as if the government wasn't in fact composed and elected by the people. But anyways...

quote:

The Federal Reserve has the ability to create legal tender through mere bookkeeping operations. By the simple act of buying, for example, $10 million worth of bonds, the Federal Reserve literally creates $10 million worth of money and adds it into the system. The seller's account goes up by $10 million once the Fed's monies are received. Nobody's account gets debited for $10 million. This is a tremendous amount of power for an institution to possess, and yet the Fed shrouds itself in secrecy and is accountable to no one.

I'm curious how Rand Paul believes we can create legal tender through methods that aren't bookkeeping operations? I suppose the lack of gold and silver involved is his problem in which case I respond with the simple statement of: "The age of shiny rocks is over you neanderthal gently caress. Even if we wanted to switch back to some sort of gold standard it would utterly cripple our economy while providing none of the economic benefits that you profess. You are full of stupid loving ideas Rand and your face looks like a toy phone."

I will say I enjoy how he acts like fractional reserve banking and fiat currency are some sort of wizardry. Shrouded in secrecy makes me feel like Fed meetings involve chanting in bloodstone circles or something where they unleash their tremendous power to modify accounts to create money as they are instructed to by law.

quote:

In December 2008, Congress summoned then-Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke to provide information concerning the enormous "emergency liquidity" programs that had begun during the financial crisis earlier that fall—all the new acronyms Wall Street analysts would come to know, such as TAF (Term Auction Facility), PDCF (Primary Dealer Credit Facility), and TSLF (Term Securities Lending Facility). Bernanke did not need Congress' permission to conduct those programs, but even worse, he refused to disclose the recipients of the $1.2 trillion in short-term loans that we now know were being administered behind closed doors. This staggering secret loan payouts doesn't even include hundreds of billions in "swaps" to foreign central banks. Bernanke's rationale was that if the Fed announced the names of the big banks being rescued, then depositors and investors would flee, thus defeating the whole purpose of the rescue operations.

Again with the flowery wording! Congress summoned him. I mean I know this one isn't even that bad, but now I can't stop thinking of the 1984 transformers movie:

:argh: - Nobody summons Bernekeeeeee.
:devil: - Then it pleases me to be the first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzNsOGt3bHk&t=40s

Do we really not have a Ron Paul emoji by the by? Not even an "Its happening" one? :(

Right, stuff. Okay. So Rand bitches about how Bernanke isn't revealing the recipients of these loans. I'd like to take a moment and remind you, as he did that this is December 2008. Bear Sterns has been obliterated. Lehman Brothers is gone. The economy is losing hundreds of thousands of jobs every month and Rand Paul is shocked that Bernanke won't disclose the names of the banks that are in such dire straights that they need financial assistance to stay afloat?

Frankly its parts like this that just confuse me. He doesn't even go on to counter Bernanke's point here, he just states it and moves on to next point as if we're supposed to find it ridiculous on its face or something. It is usually a really poor debate tactic to state your opponent's counter argument and have no rebuttal.

quote:

Americans then and now were lectured that the trillions in loans and asset purchases were all for their own good and eventual benefit, to resuscitate the credit markets and bolster home values. Yet the truth remains—it is Wall Street that benefits from the Fed at the expense of Main Street. To make things worse, in October 2008—one month after Lehman Brothers collapsed and precipitated the worst of the financial crisis—the Fed began exercising a new policy of paying interest on reserves. The Fed began to subsidize and directly pay the nation's bankers not to make loans to their customers and keep their reserves parked on deposit with the Fed.

Assumes facts not in evidence. Err.. sorry, too much law and order.

He starts by making the Fed's point for them, that if the Fed didn't do something the economy was going to implode but his follow up is weak. The whole of his argument is an opinion statement, that these loans somehow came at the expense of the taxpayer, something that he lays no foundational argument for and seems to be contradicted by the evidence. As far as I am aware the banks repaid all of the emergency loans they were given, with interest. While I would have prefered directed stimulus towards homeowners something did need to be done, and with republicans sitting with their thumbs up their asses about the idea of doing anything once a black democrat was president... yeah.

As for the latter part he's talking specifically about those reserves I talked about earlier. Its true the Fed didn't used to pay interest on those, and I do hope that eventually someone kicks the fed in the head and tells them they can cut it out now that the crisis has largely passed. One point for House Paul.

quote:

Today, Fed officials can give all sorts of technical explanations for that policy—a move that remains in effect today. Yet your average depositor received no such direct subsidy and likely still receives almost no interest on short term deposits.

Why on earth is Rand Paul comparing institutional investors with households? Banks get about eight bazillion advantages that your typical individual was not, this is a dog bites man story.

quote:

It's unfortunately in keeping with Fed policies that disproportionately favor wealth—like low interest rates, a policy benefiting those that have the most assets and first access to borrowing, not for people who have little or no capital.

Hahahaha. Yeah, like you give a poo poo about poor people.

Low interest rates can be problematic, though it is worth noting that the fed isn't doing this to favor wealth but to keep a shaky economy from going into further recession. Also high interest rates can favor the wealthy, just in a different way. Wealthy individuals who have a lot of assets benefit immensely from high interest rates, whereas other types of investors who rely on credit to make more money do better with low interest rates. Its sort of a tossup but the take away is that it's good to be rich.

quote:

No matter how much the Fed protests to the contrary, it shows little regard for the average Joe or Jane. Consider the types of assets it bought as the Fed's balance sheet exploded from $905 billion in the beginning of September 2008 to $2.2 trillion by the end of the year. (The Fed currently holds some $4.5 trillion in total assets, after the various rounds of "quantitative easing.")

The balance sheet of the Fed is largely irrelevant. I hate to say it but it really is. Just like with its ability to create money, the fact that the Fed holds a poo poo ton of assets is good for the banks but not bad for the individual.

quote:

Rather than bailing out struggling homeowners who were underwater, with higher mortgage debt than their homes were worth, the Fed instead loaded up on U.S. Treasuries (its own IOUs) and mortgage-backed securities—the very same "toxic assets" that reflected the horrible judgment of many investment bankers and the ratings agencies that signed off on the shenanigans. It is no coincidence that the federal government was able to run trillion-dollar-plus deficits for four consecutive years with no concern from the financial markets; everyone knows the Fed stands in the wings, willing to "print" new legal tender and sop up Uncle Sam's IOUs (which eventually come due, as we are now seeing in Greece).

Rand Paul was opposed to the auto industry bailout and every single aspect of the bailouts in the recession. There is no reason to believe, and substantial reason not to believe based on his father's voting record, that Rand Paul would have been first in line to shoot down any plan to bail out homeowners. While I'd have been happy to have him on the far left side here there is nothing in his voting record or personal history that suggests that this is anything more than naked, after the fact populism aimed at trying to make people mad at the fed.

Fake Edit: What VitalSigns said. The man is just an enormous loving liar.

Finally Rand Paul talks about Greece at the end here. For all his bitching about money you'd think a man who bursts into a cloud of bats when confronted with the Federal Reserve seal would know that the US is controller of its own sovereign currency and effectively immune to the particular circumstances of greece. I mean I guess republicans could refuse to raise the debt ceiling, but the issue there has more to do with them being loving retarded.

quote:

When it comes to money, politicians are often seen as the least trustworthy. But in the debate over income and wealth inequality, few people point the finger at the biggest benefactor of the wheeler dealer crony capitalists: the Federal Reserve. The nation's central bank, which regulates all other banks and has the power to create money simply by buying assets, should be under the utmost scrutiny. Yet, perversely, members of Congress have to fight an uphill battle just to audit the Fed. We do not want to politicize monetary policy (as our detractors allege), but rather simply shine a very bright light on this unaccountable and unchecked (and thus entirely un-American) power. By doing this, we may finally be able to rein it in.

This unchecked power that has seven of twelve board members approved by the very body in which you sit. Rand Paul is full of poo poo and he looks like a toy phone.

Caros fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Aug 22, 2015

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Thank you, Caros.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Caros posted:

Do we really not have a Ron Paul emoji by the by? Not even an "Its happening" one? :(

:evil:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

:heritage: works pretty well, too.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

Thank you, Caros.

Anything for the interweb.

:negative:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

http://www.salon.com/2015/08/24/slavoj_zizek_ayn_rands_tea_party_lie_now_we_know_who_john_galt_is/

The highlights:

Zizek Salon Article posted:

All of which is another painful reminder that, at least with regard to the form of organization, today’s radical-populist Right strangely reminds us of the old radical-populist Left. Are today’s Christian survivalist-fundamentalist groups, with their half-legal status and seeing the main threat to their freedom in the oppressive state apparatus, not organized like the Black Panthers in the 1960s? In both cases, we have a militarized group getting ready for the final battle. How long will this masterful ideological manipulation continue to work?
So now we finally know who John Galt is—the idiot responsible for the 2008 financial meltdown and, consequentially, for the threat of the shutdown of state apparatuses.
The underlying idea is that, freed from this higher control of markets (and experts), parliamentary-democratic decisions are “irresponsible.
Another example of such magic thinking (and a true model of what Hegel called abstract thinking) is the so-called “Laffer curve,” evoked by free-market advocates as a reason against excessive taxa­tion.

After what amount to a solid nut shot, the categorizing of Libertarian though as "abstract thinking" , he then goes to out abstractly think the "lower taxes always good argument":

Zizek Salon Article posted:

The im­plicit premise of this reasoning is that today the tax rate is already too high, and that lowering the tax rate would therefore not only help business but also raise tax revenues. The problem with this rea­soning is that, while in some abstract sense it is true, things get more complex the moment we locate taxation into the totality of economic reproduction. A great part of the money collected by taxation is again spent on the products of private business, thereby giving incentive to it. More important even, the proceeds of taxation are also spent on creating the appropriate conditions for business.

Let us take two comparable cities, one with a lower business tax rate and the other with a higher one. In the first, city public education and healthcare are in a bad condition, crime is exploding, and so on; the second city, meanwhile, spends higher revenues on better education, better energy supply, better transport, etc. Is it not reasonable to suppose that many businesses would find the second city more attractive for investment? So, paradoxically, if the first city decides to follow the second in its tax policy, raising taxes may give more incentive to private business.

And the gratuitous, nigh pornographic, money shot.

Salon Article posted:

(And, incidentally, many half-developed ex-Communist countries to which developed countries are outsourcing their industries are exploited, in the sense that Western business gains access to a cheaper skilled workforce that has benefited from public education: thus, the socialist state provides free education for the workforces of Western companies.)

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
Yer alright Brandor

Caros
May 14, 2008

BrandorKP posted:

http://www.salon.com/2015/08/24/slavoj_zizek_ayn_rands_tea_party_lie_now_we_know_who_john_galt_is/

The highlights:

After what amount to a solid nut shot, the categorizing of Libertarian though as "abstract thinking" , he then goes to out abstractly think the "lower taxes always good argument":

And the gratuitous, nigh pornographic, money shot.

Zizek is my trigger from too much spent in CD dealing with SMG.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

BrandorKP posted:

he then goes to out abstractly think the "lower taxes always good argument":

To be fair, he doesn't say that; he refers to the Laffer curve as an argument against excessive taxation and doesn't define what "excessive" means in this context.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

QuarkJets posted:

To be fair, he doesn't say that; he refers to the Laffer curve as an argument against excessive taxation and doesn't define what "excessive" means in this context.

Which is pretty much the only way you'll see someone bring up the Laffer curve because it's practically useless, since it usually only starts appearing somewhere north of 80%.

HP Artsandcrafts
Oct 3, 2012

Anubis posted:

Which is pretty much the only way you'll see someone bring up the Laffer curve because it's practically useless, since it usually only starts appearing somewhere north of 80%.

poo poo, it's somewhere north of 91%.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

HP Artsandcrafts posted:

poo poo, it's somewhere north of 91%.

Probably depends on the country and circumstances. It's been a while, but I seem to recall Sweden accidentally experimentally determining that their inflection point at the time was like 80%.

HP Artsandcrafts
Oct 3, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Probably depends on the country and circumstances. It's been a while, but I seem to recall Sweden accidentally experimentally determining that their inflection point at the time was like 80%.

Well for marginal tax rates it's probably up around the 91% range. Effective tax rate would be lower of course.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Free clean energy doesn't mean they don't need petro chemicals, they're used for a lot of stuff other than burning for energy, plastics, lubes, all sorts of stuff.

Yeah I didn't see any refineries or chemical plants or any of the infrastructure or knowledge to manufacture plastics and fertilizers even in all the pages of Rand jacking off over the superior know-how of everyone in the valley and calling them all by the names of their former companies like they're being addressed in the House of Lords. Although with infinite free energy you can just manufacture hydrocarbons from CO2 and water anyway, no fracking required.

E: to be fair though there also wasn't the infrastructure necessary to manufacture any of the things she did explicitly claim were there, like the hand-tooled tractor that's twice as good as any machined tractor on the outside because apparently the industrial revolution was for chumps.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Aug 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

Entropy is an ideological construct devised by Jewish communistic academia in order to force the job-creators into cooperation with the unwashed masses, fishmech.