Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Romney is a much better candidate than the entire current GOP field, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Pron on VHS posted:

Romney is a much better candidate than the entire current GOP field, right?

So much so that it's hard for me to believe that he's (allegedly) only now considering getting back into the race.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

this is really standard reality TV stuff, everyone already knows or assumes this about him

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Senf posted:

So much so that it's hard for me to believe that he's (allegedly) only now considering getting back into the race.

Mitt is boring as gently caress, that has mainstream appeal, It loses to the charismatic candidate but none of the dem field outside Biden can actually work an audience like Barry can, so he would likely do much better this go round.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Jeb Bush let the dogs out

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Xenophon posted:

Jeb Bush let the dogs out

Tomorrows headline "Jeb mauled by own dogs, amber wig hair found one collar"

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Romney had to be convinced to run last time by his son and wife, and plus he already lost once after saying losing means you're out forever. Sure this time it'll be against someone else but I can still see why he has been reluctant to jump back in.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Romney is a rock star compared to Jeb!...

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Romney had to be convinced to run last time by his son and wife, and plus he already lost once after saying losing means you're out forever. Sure this time it'll be against someone else but I can still see why he has been reluctant to jump back in.

the gently caress else does he have going on, he can move the Maserati up and down in the elevator and play jenga but you dont get to sneer at lemonade and insult half the country sitting at home considering a run, get in there you glorious idiot!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

he spent a month running earlier this year, but found that jeb was too strong to ensure a romney coronation. he wants to be president!

robert costa had this last night, which probably doesn't mean anything

quote:

One party eminence who has been relatively silent is Mitt Romney, the 2012 nominee who flirted with but ruled out another run in January. A potentially powerful voice in countering Trump, he has resisted weighing in at length, though friends said he has been monitoring the summer maneuvering with interest. He declined an interview request.

(he didn't rule out a run in january)

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Haha, awesome! The establishment is seriously desperate and scared shitless. Imagine the hours of pleading phone calls to Romney from cowardly billionaires. Just makes me smile.

In terms of Trump vs. Romney, Romney is stronger than the rest of the clown car but he's still a loser candidate and the base can sense this on some deep lizard brain fear level. I don't look at freep or any of that poo poo for fear of my sanity, but if one of you is brave to check out what the base thinks of Romney jumping in after this news makes the rounds, I doubt it will be very complimentary (to put it lightly). :unsmigghh:

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

I can see it now, "Battle of the Business Buffons Buffs up, Becomes Belligerent", dont let me down Mittens go get it.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Romney is small potatoes value-wise next to Trump, we're talking a multi millionaire next to a multi billionaire

basically it would be a lot of fun

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
It would also play right into the hands of Trump's anti-establishment rhetoric if the establishment started propping up new, obviously establishment candidates in an already packed field

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

So the right is crying for Romney of all loving people to get in the race, and the DNC is crying for Biden and Gore of all loving people to get in the race.

Did Trump and Sanders really scare their prospective sides that much?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Thump! posted:

yes

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.
Somehow, after all of this, Obama is going to wind up as the Republican nominee for president.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Frankly this wave of populism has been a very long time in coming.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Dahbadu posted:

Haha, awesome! The establishment is seriously desperate and scared shitless. Imagine the hours of pleading phone calls to Romney from cowardly billionaires. Just makes me smile.

In terms of Trump vs. Romney, Romney is stronger than the rest of the clown car but he's still a loser candidate and the base can sense this on some deep lizard brain fear level. I don't look at freep or any of that poo poo for fear of my sanity, but if one of you is brave to check out what the base thinks of Romney jumping in after this news makes the rounds, I doubt it will be very complimentary (to put it lightly). :unsmigghh:

So far no threads about ROMNEY 2016 on Freep but I'll keep my eyes open.

I know they hate him, but not with the same intense venom that they have for Jeb!

Here's a taste of the absolute DISGUST and HATE Freep has for JEB!:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3327584/posts#comment

Montasque fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 21, 2015

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Thump! posted:

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha :bernget:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I am pretty sure no one is really scared of sanders

Just give him some hard candy and send him home

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
What would be the point of the establishment courting Romney? They already got Christie, the guy who was their first pick over Romney last time--why would they throw their weight behind the person who was already their plan B before he lost?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Brannock posted:

Frankly this wave of populism has been a very long time in coming.

"theres two candidates, they have populist ideas with their side of the aisle and are unbribable, what do we do?"

"put in more bribe machines???"

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
Just to remind everyone, but we should all actually want Romney to enter and win the primary (probably ain't gonna happen). But just seeing the GOP establishment get wrecked by a monster of its own creation is so loving satisfying.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I think Trump and Sanders both genuinely care more about doing good for America (of course, from their point of view) than they do about their party. That's a rare, fascinating thing. I don't think either one of them give an iota of a poo poo about "sides".

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
George H.W. Bush should run.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Joementum posted:

He should just have everyone call him "Herb" to disassociate from his precious administration, seems to be the Bush way.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

echronorian posted:

I think Trump and Sanders both genuinely care more about doing good for America (of course, from their point of view) than they do about their party. That's a rare, fascinating thing. I don't think either one of them give an iota of a poo poo about "sides".

Well Bernie at least has the facade of giving a poo poo about not having the GOP take the office. He's not gonna run third party and if he loses the nom will pledge support to Hillary, just because she's slightly better than whatever the GOP has.

Trump don't give a gently caress. Trump is just Trump, and he's gonna trump trump trump his way through the GOP leaving nothing but bloodied, sexist, racist corpses behind.

This is the best election ever :allears:

Joementum posted:

I'm counting on Bob Dole to take another crack at the office.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Nonsense posted:

How badly would Trump own Romney?

Two-time loser, Mitt Romney? The attacks practically write themselves.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Dahbadu posted:

Just to remind everyone, but we should all actually want Romney to enter and win the primary (probably ain't gonna happen). But just seeing the GOP establishment get wrecked by a monster of its own creation is so loving satisfying.

This day was bound to come. The 2011/2012 GOP primary was just a taste. Reading Freep back then it was obvious they were not happy with Romney and wanted a champion to carry the crazy flag of the base. Gingrich is no Trump... Now they got their guy, and poo poo is kicking off big time.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Carrasco posted:

What would be the point of the establishment courting Romney? They already got Christie, the guy who was their first pick over Romney last time--why would they throw their weight behind the person who was already their plan B before he lost?

Christie's flopping with the Republican base because he hugged Obama that one time.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Romney (for all that he's a terrible human being) is the kind of patriarch that the base of the party and the people in the smoke filled rooms are both comfortable with. JEB. has proven himself too stupid for the powerful people and not stupid enough for the base. The base isn't going to let themselves get reigned in any more though, so not sure who the power brokers are trying to fool.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I don't believe anyone is asking for Mitt Romney. Between Bush, Rubio and Kasich we've got plenty of tolerable but unexciting establishment choices, and one of them will eventually survive long enough to get crushed by Trump 1v1 in the thunderdome.

Here's a quick 2012 flashback of Mitt Romney on the campaign trail:

-Binders of women
-I like being able to fire people (compared to Trump whose sole job on national TV was to fire people)
-Corporations are people too
-My wife drives a couple of cadillacs
-I don't follow NASCAR, but I have some friends who are NASCAR team owners
-Paul Ryan and family making an impromptu volunteer stop to wipe some clean pots and pans at a food bank.
-I can't have illegals working for me! I'm running for president!
-Who let the dogs out?
-The trees are just the right height!
-Obama says we need more firemen, more policemen, more teachers. Did he not get the message of Wisconsin? The American people did. It’s time for us to cut back on government and help the American people.
- $10,000 bet?
And of course, the icing on the cake - writing off 47% of the country.

Any republican voter who is serious about their team winning the white house in 2016, isn't asking for Mitt Romney to throw his hat in.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Hillary has a strategic reserve of Werther's Originals to counter a threat.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Btw, Trump just got around to finally condemning those guys who beat up a homeless Mexican and cited him as their inspiration.

Only took him two whole days.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Peztopiary posted:

Romney (for all that he's a terrible human being) is the kind of patriarch that the base of the party and the people in the smoke filled rooms are both comfortable with. JEB. has proven himself too stupid for the powerful people and not stupid enough for the base. The base isn't going to let themselves get reigned in any more though, so not sure who the power brokers are trying to fool.

These tea party idiots were supposed to be the circus that showed the process worked, but the bearded lady just shot the ringmaster and is executing the other clowns one by one while a bemused audience pays attention for the first time since they sat down. The power brokers arent "trying" anything, poo poo is officially off the rails, people are just scattering to avoid getting pasted.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

colonel_korn posted:

Two-time loser, Mitt Romney? The attacks practically write themselves.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

The Nastier Nate posted:

-The trees are just the right height!

I forgot about this, what a fuckin' weirdo

and don't forget about his terrified caged dog on the roof of the family car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003