Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Well since I'm now using this as a platform on my health my appendix did rupture, it was so bad they actually took it out in two pieces :(

Assuming it doesn't get infected I'll be back in 3/4 days, I'm taking number 22 in the Rumble as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Well since I'm now using this as a platform on my health my appendix did rupture, it was so bad they actually took it out in two pieces :(

Assuming it doesn't get infected I'll be back in 3/4 days, I'm taking number 22 in the Rumble as well.
Cena's SA account spotted

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I've got the predictions so far entered, but there are still 27(hehehe) entrants left! If you'd like a number, or a second number, just ask, and I'll randomly assign one of the remaining #s.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Junpei Hyde posted:

Good old number 3 for me.

Skunkrocker posted:

I'm going to pick number 10 in honor of Daniel Bryan. I really hope Marty comes out to that number and is just as easily beaten so the WWF fans can boo the poo poo out of your show.

Fun fact: One of my long term future plans was to put the two who pulled these numbers (as they currently stand, match subject to change) together, but their chemistry was only neutral and we found someone who had a much higher chemistry for one of these two.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I Before E posted:

I've got the predictions so far entered, but there are still 27(hehehe) entrants left! If you'd like a number, or a second number, just ask, and I'll randomly assign one of the remaining #s.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...
19, in honor of Cena and Reigns

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

I lurk this thread, but I'll take 15

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Give me 17

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So Far:
1 Luigi Thirty
3 Junpei Hyde
10 Skunkrocker
15 Jenkem Delivery
17 oldskool
19 AbrasiveObelisk
22 Blooming Brilliant
23 IcePhoenix
26 DynamiteKidd
27 St Evan Echoes

If I missed you, let me know.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 21, 2015

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
26 over here

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Know what I'll be out by the rumble and to generate some interest / raise the stakes whoever rightfully picks the winning number will get a forum upgrade / steam game of an appropriate price from me. As long as the wwf team is fine with this?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Know what I'll be out by the rumble and to generate some interest / raise the stakes whoever rightfully picks the winning number will get a forum upgrade / steam game of an appropriate price from me. As long as the wwf team is fine with this?

Yeah sure. If the rest of the team and Happy approves.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 21, 2015

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I'm fine with that.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

ChrisBTY posted:

3) I kinda dig the Revolution, but Dean really seems like an odd choice to lead the group. I'm sure you have your reasons though.

The Revolution was formed before I came in but that's definitely something I would've fought for. The thinking for putting Malenko as the leader was probably pretty simple: He was the most over between him, RVD, and Psicosis. And while Dean Malenko is hardly known for his talking ability, maybe he's gotten better in-game like Benoit has. And who would have a bigger gripe with WCW than Malenko, anyway? The best pure grappler in the company, and how often has he taken a backseat to a mystical ice warrior or dancing robot DJs?

Incidentally, if this hasn't been mentioned before, Malenko and Psicosis are one of the only teams we have that has good (rather than neutral) chemistry. This is great for a couple of reasons: One, that team sounds amazing. Two, Psicosis, like I imagine Nishimura in WWF, needs a team/stable/both to get over because he doesn't speak much English and has little on-camera entertainment value outside of matches.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

DynamiteKidd posted:

Incidentally, if this hasn't been mentioned before, Malenko and Psicosis are one of the only teams we have that has good (rather than neutral) chemistry. This is great for a couple of reasons: One, that team sounds amazing. Two, Psicosis, like I imagine Nishimura in WWF, needs a team/stable/both to get over because he doesn't speak much English and has little on-camera entertainment value outside of matches.

Nishimura actually does speak English, we just can't get a handle on his character so we don't really write much for him.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Well now I'm curious about thoughts on ECDub that everyone has.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I Before E posted:

Nishimura actually does speak English, we just can't get a handle on his character so we don't really write much for him.

So creative has nothing for him? :v:

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

IcePhoenix posted:

Your main event feud is Edge vs Kurt Angle so I pretty much have to love you.

Blue Man Power Trip is also consistently entertaining and I find THE LUMBERTAKER to be funnier than it should be.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Paul E. being a god tier talker has pretty much saved our show ratings since our roster was total garbage at the start of 1997.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

LUMBERTAKER was a team joke we've wanted to do when Brian Lee dropped the TV title, we just didn't have the best excuse for why he should become it. It's when we decided Snow needed a heavy things fell into place, and I like to imagine we've booked Snow's gang as an effective Wyatt family. Sure you've got the two little underlings in Lawler and Diamond but then you've got the big hitter in LUMBERTAKER and Snow has been awesome. He lost his first match when we took over to put over BMPT (teaming with Lawler as an unintended coincidence) but since then he's been undefeated and I think apart from a couple of squash matches he's only wrestled on ppv's and has been undefeated since.

Edit: it's not a joke saying Douglas carried this company on his back while we were getting stable.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

LUMBERTAKER was a team joke we've wanted to do when Brian Lee dropped the TV title, we just didn't have the best excuse for why he should become it. It's when we decided Snow needed a heavy things fell into place, and I like to imagine we've booked Snow's gang as an effective Wyatt family. Sure you've got the two little underlings in Lawler and Diamond but then you've got the big hitter in LUMBERTAKER and Snow has been awesome. He lost his first match when we took over to put over BMPT (teaming with Lawler as an unintended coincidence) but since then he's been undefeated and I think apart from a couple of squash matches he's only wrestled on ppv's and has been undefeated since.

Edit: it's not a joke saying Douglas carried this company on his back while we were getting stable.

As somebody who had Al Snow break HTM's IC title reign record in my own TEW 96 game, I approve of this.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

I Before E posted:

Even then I doubt he's a good enough promo to talk on his own. Some guys can get away with that in a singles context, at least in American wrestling, but that's mostly the Goldbergs and the Lesnars.

Also I just realized how much I wish our version of the Revolution existed in reality. They were all in ECW at one time, it coulda happened!

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
I made this in response to a post on Facebook and figured you guys would find it funny.

In all honesty, I searched for a better thread to post this in.

I didn't search very hard.

I'm not sorry at all.

I realize all my sentences begin with the letter I.

I dunno why that is.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

DynamiteKidd posted:

Speaking of the Slammies, we at WCW don't do that but we're always looking for feedback: What acts or workers in WCW are you most satisfied with or interested in? What feuds have captivated you leading into Starrcade?

- I like Kanyon Enterprises, it makes the most out of an untouchable deadweight deadbeat and gives Bam Bam something to do, but I feel like the stable needs just one more guy to make it feel whole.
- I'm surprised with how much I like motivational speaker Konnan. Konnan helping turn Hogan and X sounds like it should be utterly ridiculous but it works out with how you guys've written it.
- I don't know what's going on with Ron Simmons but I feel he's largely being wasted. NoD flopped hard and Simmons has been pretty much losing nearly every match since he lost the US Title to Waltman. Is his morale in the gutter or is he just rubbish stat-wise?
- I wish Heenan wasn't managing two lumps. I love the Shark and all but it's clear he's never going to get a push.
- I'm completely apathetic to the Flawless Diamonds by now. You guys have slow burned its inevitable cannibalization for so long that I just don't care one bit. The stable feels like it should've been crumbling away about a good handful of (in-game) months ago. The only thing related to the Diamonds that I'm interested in is what rises from its ashes.

IcePhoenix posted:

- Having Copeland as your champ is great because there's so many directions your main event picture can go now. As great as Angle as champ was, it felt like you were treading water with his reign since you're hurting on over babyfaces and had to feed him outside talent to make up the months in between Douglas and Copeland.
- I really like the Sexicools but I wish Savio Vega wasn't such an obvious fall guy for the team.

Honestly there's not a whole lot else to specifically talk about, you guys are doing a great job making the most out of the scraps of WWF and WCW.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
I have a lot of heat on me for giving away booking details so I'm not going to comment on a lot of that stuff but it's true that Ron Simmons is low on the list of guys we want to push. This doesn't mean we won't have anything for him in the future, though.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

NoD was my thing during the few weeks in which I was part of WCW booking. I just couldn't find a compelling angle to sustain for the three-PPV period of NoD vs. Team Xtreme without it getting heavily repetitive. Add to that pretty profound anxiety around not being familiar with most of the roster or even a good bulk of the people I was supposed to consistently write for and I just didn't have the confidence to build characters and make the feud work. So it just kind of came and went. I didn't have the vision or passion it needed.

Beyond my problems, there were a few issues with card position - it was hard to book because most of the workers were jobbers or developmental callups with no heat. Nobody could pin Simmons without pissing him off and the rest of the NoD were too low on the card to pin anybody beyond a small handful of lower midcard faces, and they were jobbers even during their feud, putting over guys in more important feuds. But that's how wrestling booking is, and besides I was the one who suggested a losing streak gimmick, to make Simmons into a sadistic tyrant within NoD (even when I don't think that's what was run with, exactly). My idea was to make NoD into something, gradually, but realistically there was pretty much no way that was going to happen with two openers and a still-directionless Good Hand from the upper card. Mohammed and Nelson couldn't really go anywhere from where they were. One of them needed to be more over for that to happen.

My original idea was to put NoD over Team Xtreme, start booking them strong as midcard monsters, have Simmons encroach the borders of the main event scene with big nefarious plans, and bring in Booker T to challenge his ideology and ultimately go over him. But that wasn't in the cards, because I lacked confidence and besides, I'm not sure there was time or room for all of that to happen. Simmons and Booker remain upper midcard hands and I've got my own game slowly moving forward. Getting guys out of the low card is hard work.

All that said, some good came of that debacle - NoD flamed out but Team Xtreme came out of it pretty well. One of the problems the angle was meant to solve was getting RVD out of the gutter, as he was billed as an Opener* and had a tremendous losing streak that made building him up a challenge. AFAIK by the end of the NoD angle he was out of the low card and he had a good heel turn, which helped his momentum.

* Actually, one thing I learned from lurking the TEW official forums is that while workers in Opener or Enhancement Talent roles will have poo poo momentum as long as they're in them, their losses don't count against the invisible win/loss tally that TEW uses to calculate the rate of heat gain. So they can lose constantly (which is their job, at their rank) but once you bump them up out of the jobber ghetto they'll start with a clean slate and will be able to build momentum MUCH more easily than a lower midcard guy who's jobbed just as often.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Do not even ask posted:

- I like Kanyon Enterprises, it makes the most out of an untouchable deadweight deadbeat and gives Bam Bam something to do, but I feel like the stable needs just one more guy to make it feel whole.
- I'm surprised with how much I like motivational speaker Konnan. Konnan helping turn Hogan and X sounds like it should be utterly ridiculous but it works out with how you guys've written it.
- I don't know what's going on with Ron Simmons but I feel he's largely being wasted. NoD flopped hard and Simmons has been pretty much losing nearly every match since he lost the US Title to Waltman. Is his morale in the gutter or is he just rubbish stat-wise?
- I wish Heenan wasn't managing two lumps. I love the Shark and all but it's clear he's never going to get a push.
- I'm completely apathetic to the Flawless Diamonds by now. You guys have slow burned its inevitable cannibalization for so long that I just don't care one bit. The stable feels like it should've been crumbling away about a good handful of (in-game) months ago. The only thing related to the Diamonds that I'm interested in is what rises from its ashes.

1) Do you mean one more guy other than Brutus Briefcase? He's also in the stable. I'm still rather proud of his current gimmick of "I've been a jobber for so many years in so many companies that I'm owed a billion favors and can get anything I want." I think it fits well with how we're making Champagne Incorporated distinct from Wallstreet and other similar Rich Business Heels.

2) I really like Konnan a lot. He's an incredible asset for multiple reasons, the biggest of which is apparently his mic skills are god-like because his segments always get much higher ratings than his matches. Unfortunatly I wouldn't lay money on him climbing to the Main Event scene. The US audience just doesn't seem to appreciate his wrestling, his matches are almost always just a couple of notches below what I want from him. They love him in Mexico though. One of the weird things about our roster is we have this collection of guys that are main event over down south and far less than that in America, so it gives us opportunities to do crazy stuff when we go there. So maybe he could challenge for a higher level strap the next time we do a tour in Mexico.

3) Simmons has been suffering because of Christian's push, the Diamonds, our Mexican tour, and our choice to make the Nation be three guys, two of which were jobbers. With the laser focus on the Thrillseekers tying up the Tag belts for half a year, there was no chance for Ron to take one of his minions and go after those. With the Diamonds holding the midcard singles belts as part of our overarching storyline, he couldn't go for those without a turn that we didn't really want, and when it was time for those to get dropped we decided to go on our grand tour of Mexico so they got dropped to Konnan and Santo. Add to that the fact that NoD matches and segments weren't producing the ratings we wanted because Homicide and Truth were two jobbers leeching heat from Ron, and you can see why their push has died a bit. That was one of the main reasons we broke Nelson off, to lessen the drain on Ron's heat before it became critical. Now that the midcard belts are open, I have a few ideas for the Nation...

4) Heenan isn't managing Shark anymore, his only client currently is Meng. For the record I still love Meng and Heenan has great(?) manager chemistry with him so he helps the guy a lot. As for other clients, he is good friends with Arn Anderson and helping him take out Hogan. Maybe that'll grow into something. I have few other ideas as well.

5) Man, when Hennig wins his title match, the Diamonds turn everything around, take over the show, and hold their own pay per view FLAWLESS DIAMONDS SOULED OUT you're gonne be pissed.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Do not even ask posted:

- Having Copeland as your champ is great because there's so many directions your main event picture can go now. As great as Angle as champ was, it felt like you were treading water with his reign since you're hurting on over babyfaces and had to feed him outside talent to make up the months in between Douglas and Copeland.

That obvious, huh? :v:

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
Brutus Briefcase is the dead weight guy he was talking about. If it isn't obvious, the only reason we have him is for the sake of keeping Hogan's morale up; I wasn't around for this but since he lost the AWA title Hogan hasn't had a lot of success in the ring so keeping him happy during that time can't have been easy. And we actually use Brutus on TV because Hogan would probably get mad if his buddy got pissed about not being used.

Edit: Speaking of Hogan I just want everyone to know that my idea for a segment where Hogan, whose gimmick is still that he's basically giant George Costanza, is cluelessly insensitive to Booker and Nelson X, was shot down by I think the entire team

DynamiteKidd fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 22, 2015

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Our roster was pretty thin on main event faces for a while so we had to grab people from Japan. But hey, who wouldn't want to see Kurt Angle and Minoru Suzuki in a submission match?

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Senerio posted:

Yeah sure. If the rest of the team and Happy approves.

Go for it.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
We're working on Nitro, so hold tight on that front, should be up i nthe next couple days.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Okay, I'm enjoying the Regal/Benoit stuff, but jesus christ, Chris Benoit having read the epic of Gilgamesh and being able to recall details like that, as well as provide analysis, is the most outlandish thing any of these companies has done.

Even more outlandish than Shawn Michaels' journeys through history, or Goldust and The Undertaker re-enacting Fargo.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I Before E posted:

Okay, I'm enjoying the Regal/Benoit stuff, but jesus christ, Chris Benoit having read the epic of Gilgamesh and being able to recall details like that, as well as provide analysis, is the most outlandish thing any of these companies has done.

Chris Benoit to feud with the movie buffs.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

DynamiteKidd posted:

We're working on Nitro, so hold tight on that front, should be up i nthe next couple days.

HCTV is up first. We've been ready willing and Gable to post RAW for a few days now.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Every time I connect to mibbit I connect to our #mondaynightwars channel and never see anyone else in there. Have we stopped using it? :smith:

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I Before E posted:

Even more outlandish than Shawn Michaels' journeys through history, or Goldust and The Undertaker re-enacting Fargo.

I'm sure they bonded over a love of classic literature at some point during the game's run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happyman
Jul 20, 2011

Say, do you take your mask off when you go to the bathroom?

Basic Chunnel posted:

* Actually, one thing I learned from lurking the TEW official forums is that while workers in Opener or Enhancement Talent roles will have poo poo momentum as long as they're in them, their losses don't count against the invisible win/loss tally that TEW uses to calculate the rate of heat gain. So they can lose constantly (which is their job, at their rank) but once you bump them up out of the jobber ghetto they'll start with a clean slate and will be able to build momentum MUCH more easily than a lower midcard guy who's jobbed just as often.

This makes sense, especially if you want to book Japanese-style. If you're a young guy coming in, you job for a while, and then you get a push.

• Locked thread