Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Anals of History posted:

In lighter news about unethical behavior in higher education settings:

Top 10 .edu names represented in Ashley Madison registrations
Rank University # of Accounts
1. Michigan State University 696
2. Pennsylvania State University 679
3. Kent State University 653
4. Virginia Tech 561
5. Ivy Tech Community College 560
6. Virginia Community Colleges 541
7. Ohio State University 487
8. University of Minnesota 485
9. University of Michigan 450
10. New York University 438

Go Green :toot:

e: vv We're the SEC of unhappiness and unrealized dreams

What the gently caress is Ivy Tech Community College

Wikipedia posted:

Undergraduates approx. 200,000
Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Crotch Bat posted:

True, forgot he might be in the system already. Regardless, what is Baylor waiting for anyway?
They wanted him to have the world class Baylor strength and conditioning for his prison stay? :shobon:

No idea why the first reaction wouldn't be an auto boot after his previous problems.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

LiquidFriend posted:

No idea why the first reaction wouldn't be an auto boot after his previous problems.

"...but he's really good at football" is always why. Always.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/21/former-baylor-rb-silas-nacita-still-battles-eligibility-issue-in-naia/

gently caress Baylor.

Seriously, gently caress these guys. They go out of their way to make a walk on all academic player ineligible because of where he lived and cover for a guy who transferred with a history of issues.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD

Anals of History posted:

4. Virginia Tech 561

Seeing Penn State up there is just the icing on the cake

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I think this probably falls in a gray area between coverup and plain old incompetence. When you have a system -or lack thereof- that tells the school to self-police and puts these matters in the hands of people who have little incentive and even less ability to conduct this kind of investigation, it's no wonder they're so often mishandled. I'd be surprised if any of this was actually as insidious as it's being portrayed. And to Baylor's credit, the guy never saw the field last year.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 21, 2015

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets
This was not incompetence. If Okwauchu were a regular, non-football student he would have been kicked out of school a year ago.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

E: ^^^ that too

Frackie Robinson posted:

And to Baylor's credit, the guy never saw the field last year.

He never saw the field because he had to sit out a year due to transfer rules.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

DJExile posted:

E: ^^^ that too

He never saw the field because he had to sit out a year due to transfer rules.

Ah, I thought 2013 was his transfer year.

Edit: according to the Texas Monthly article, he was in fact eligible last year

General Dog fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 21, 2015

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Granted, I'm not super well-educated about these issues, but isn't the point of universities' self-policing in matters of sexual harassment to be more sensitive on the matter than the real justice system? You know, catching cases that skip through the cracks and applying appropriate measures to ease the burden on victims when the legally admissible evidence isn't strong enough. If that's the case, then what the gently caress is the point of the system at Baylor if they won't act when the justice system will?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Pakled posted:

Granted, I'm not super well-educated about these issues, but isn't the point of universities' self-policing in matters of sexual harassment to be more sensitive on the matter than the real justice system? You know, catching cases that skip through the cracks and applying appropriate measures to ease the burden on victims when the legally admissible evidence isn't strong enough. If that's the case, then what the gently caress is the point of the system at Baylor if they won't act when the justice system will?

I think that's the theory, but as we've seen countless times it's at best a woefully inadequate supplement to the legal system's shortcomings on the matter, and at worst, well... joepa_shrug.jpg

It's just another example of us mistaking the symptoms for the disease.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 21, 2015

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Spintzel posted:

Seeing Penn State up there is just the icing on the cake

Wow, Michigan State beat out Penn State for something in the realm of sexual immorality. That's a huge upset for anyone, especially Sparty.

HeebHustler
Jan 16, 2007

Frackie Robinson posted:

I think this probably falls in a gray area between coverup and plain old incompetence. When you have a system -or lack thereof- that tells the school to self-police and puts these matters in the hands of people who have little incentive and even less ability to conduct this kind of investigation, it's no wonder they're so often mishandled. I'd be surprised if any of this was actually as insidious as it's being portrayed. And to Baylor's credit, the guy never saw the field last year.

Atleast one person is willing to give Baylor some credit here, well said lol.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Actually scratch all of that, it is pretty damning that he continued participating with the team after his indictment, Baylor's pretty clearly in the wrong here. That's compounded by the fact that he should have had an especially short leash considering his history at Boise State.

But on the other hand go Aggies go Bears AFF rules. I watch college football, I'm not gonna pretend to be a good person.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 21, 2015

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Anals of History posted:

4. Virginia Tech 561

I'm curious which of those schools let you keep your edu email after you graduate. I know Kent does, which could explain why they're so high.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

When I was at OSU, you couldn't log in to the webmail thing after so many months but there was lifetime forwarding available.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Georgia kicked me out of mine about a month after I graduated. And as I have a very common name, my old email address was immediately taken by someone else.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Welp, time to add Baylor to the gently caress 'em list I guess. Let's see...

gently caress 'Em
  • Baylor
  • Notre Dame
  • Ohio State*
  • Penn State
  • FSU
  • South Carolina*

*Added due to general, non-sex crime related hatred.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid
Virginia Tech let you keep your email address for free for life. I still use mine as a secondary address.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Scarf posted:

gently caress 'Em
  • Baylor
  • Notre Dame
  • Ohio State*
  • Penn State
  • FSU
  • South Carolina*

There's that episode of To Catch a Predator with the Ohio State fan, you can remove the asterisk.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

@BruceFeldmanCFB: ex #USC QB Ricky Town to transfer to #Arkansas, according to espn.

WE DIDNT WANT YOU ANYWAYS JERK

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Thoguh posted:

Big Ten supremacy.

I mean some of that is probably just that Big Ten schools tend to be extremely large but still lol

Alcoholism, meth, extramartial affairs, crippling addiction to punting. The Big Ten dominates all vices.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

MourningView posted:

I mean some of that is probably just that Big Ten schools tend to be extremely large but still lol

Alcoholism, meth, extramartial affairs, crippling addiction to punting. The Big Ten dominates all vices.

Punting is truly the worst vice. Every time you punt on 4th and 1, Paul Johnson sheds a single tear.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Scarf posted:

gently caress 'Em
  • Baylor
  • Notre Dame
  • Ohio State*
  • Penn State
  • FSU
  • South Carolina*

Let's not kid ourselves, if Baylor and Notre Dame's scandals set the bar, then this list should probably be about 60 deep.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD

Frackie Robinson posted:

Let's not kid ourselves, if Baylor and Notre Dame's scandals set the bar, then this list should probably be about 60 deep.

Are you an Anne Frank Fan Fic alt account or..?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Frackie Robinson posted:

Ignorance is bliss.

Tad SG
Apr 16, 2003

Here are provided seats of meditative joy, where shall rise again the destined reign of Troy.

Ehud posted:

@BruceFeldmanCFB: ex #USC QB Ricky Town to transfer to #Arkansas, according to espn.

WE DIDNT WANT YOU ANYWAYS JERK

As long as a stud WR doesn't transfer with him like Damian Williams did with Mitch Mustain. I remember when Mustain and Williams came to USC, I was stoked about Mustain and didn't care about Williams. Now, when I think about the 2 of them, I think "Oh yeah, Mustain never really worked out" and I think "HOT drat, DAMIAN WILLIAMS WAS AMAZING".

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
That baylor thing is Tallahassee Police Department levels of what the gently caress are you doing

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Schedule posters if that's your kind of thing: https://sportposterswag.wordpress.com/2015/08/18/2015-posterswag-com-fbs-football-poster-top-50-rankings/

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
the sad thing is Vanderbilt should be on the gently caress Them Forever list but they're so bad at football you'd just feel bad for them

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Hey Briles, don't throw my team's coach under the bus to try and deflect the blame here :mad:

e: unless he knew of course, then :sigh:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

You mean to tell me an organization composed primarily of Southern Baptists is denying at least the knowledge of a horrific event?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

So at best he's saying they bring in guys who have been dismissed from other programs without doing any kind of vetting as to why somebody with that kind of talent was let go.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Thoguh posted:

So at best he's saying they bring in guys who have been dismissed from other programs without doing any kind of vetting as to why somebody with that kind of talent was let go.

Right. Then all you can say is it's an unfortunate event and timing? Get hosed. Reports last night were that Boise coaches tried to blackball the kid.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Neil Armbong posted:

Right. Then all you can say is it's an unfortunate event and timing? Get hosed. Reports last night were that Boise coaches tried to blackball the kid.

Yeah, the fact that Boise wouldn't support a waiver to allow him to play right away kind of flies in the face of Briles saying that Peterson told him that Ukwauchu just wanted to move closer to home.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Raku posted:

the sad thing is Vanderbilt should be on the gently caress Them Forever list but they're so bad at football you'd just feel bad for them

Nah, put me in "gently caress Them Forever." James Franklin ran a dirty program and that fanbase, which had theretofore been the holiest of the holier-than-thous, ignored it because it got 'em a pair of 9-4 seasons. They deserve all the routs-by-Temple that they get.

Hey, remember when one of Franklin's oafish OLs went for the knees of a Georgia defensive player well after the whistle, popped up, and gave his sidelines a thumbs up? Remember when Todd Grantham went batshit nuts on Franklin after the game was over? Remember when all the tut-tutting from hot-taking hacks was in the direction of Grantham? I do. gently caress Vandy.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

This guy is live tweeting Ukwuachu's trial and punishment phase. As you can expect, it's a circus in the courtroom and on the feed.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I know its bad to laugh at possible concussions, but this blurb from an article about USC's practice yesterday made me giggle:

quote:

Offensive tackle Chad Wheeler, who Sarkisian has said was close to being cleared for live contact drills after knee surgery nine months ago, suffered a setback Thursday because of an unrelated injury. The junior was unable to finish practice after getting hit in the side of the head by a medicine ball.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
NDSU kicker does a cool thing: http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2015-08-21/north-dakota-state-kicker-nails-impressive-trick-shot-field-goal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zifnab
Aug 21, 2005

Hope Springs Eternal

Petersen responds, says he told Briles all the details.

• Locked thread