Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

ImpAtom posted:

My dark secret is that I never actually could get over the fact that Vegeta murdered literally billions of people and even when he is really funny it's still sort of genuinely weird because he's a horrifying monster who delighted in hurting people until he became a trophy husband.

A lot of his popularity comes from the idea that people who do horrible things and then redeem themselves can be viewed from a certain perspective to be more honorable than someone who was a saint right out of the gate. It's pretty much the driving force behind why anti-heroes are so popular. It reassures us that we can find redemption despite any mistakes we've made in our lives, thus those kinds of characters tend to be very popular.

See also Spike vs. Angel in Buffy. One is a good guy because he was cursed to be, the other fought and bled to become a good guy. Which is the more honorable? Goku is "destined" to be a saviour. Vegeta had to work his way to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

sharktamer posted:

Seeing Vegeta debase himself to save the world is really funny, but no that should not become what this show is exclusively and stop saying "slice of life" every other post.

no and no

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
During my Kai viewing with the wife, I'm becoming increasingly sympathetic for Tien and Yamcha's feelings towards Vegeta. I mean, what the gently caress, he's directly responsible for their deaths and now he's shacking up with Yamcha's girl and palling around with everyone like he didn't show up with a big brute and a bunch of plant monsters with the intent to kill everyone on the planet and sell it for profit? I'm really surprised the two of them don't make a bigger deal out of it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Without Goku, neither of them can actually do anything about Vegeta hanging out on Earth.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

New Leaf posted:

During my Kai viewing with the wife, I'm becoming increasingly sympathetic for Tien and Yamcha's feelings towards Vegeta. I mean, what the gently caress, he's directly responsible for their deaths and now he's shacking up with Yamcha's girl and palling around with everyone like he didn't show up with a big brute and a bunch of plant monsters with the intent to kill everyone on the planet and sell it for profit? I'm really surprised the two of them don't make a bigger deal out of it.

They couldn't at the time. When Vegeta was zapped back to Earth he became de facto most powerful person on the planet. Piccolo might have been able to match him at best but we have no way of knowing what kind of zenkai he got from being wished back from the dead.

It was in everyone's best interest to let Vegeta do whatever the gently caress he pleased until Goku came back. Plus he had won some points with Krillin and Gohan for partnering up with them on Namek.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I'm not saying they should try to fight him. Let's say I got shot by a guy who broke into my house and was in a coma for a year, and when I came out of the coma, all my buddies were there waiting for me in the hospital room with the guy who shot me and put me there in the first place, guess what? They wouldn't be my buddies anymore.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

New Leaf posted:

I'm not saying they should try to fight him. Let's say I got shot by a guy who broke into my house and was in a coma for a year, and when I came out of the coma, all my buddies were there waiting for me in the hospital room with the guy who shot me and put me there in the first place, guess what? They wouldn't be my buddies anymore.

He wasn't one of their best friends, but it's better not to piss off the already terminally angry short man that can destroy your planet.

And having the super powerful angry man even nominally on your side is beneficial when DBZ poo poo goes down.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

New Leaf posted:

But in Dragonball there's a precedent for bad guys becoming good guys. So it'd more like if you woke up and the shooter was there, but three of your buddies had also shot you in the past but felt real bad about it and became your friends.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Bulma isn't Yamcha's girl.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

My dark secret is that I never actually could get over the fact that Vegeta murdered literally billions of people and even when he is really funny it's still sort of genuinely weird because he's a horrifying monster who delighted in hurting people until he became a trophy husband.

To be fair, he kind of spends 75 percent of his screen time getting punished via getting his poo poo ruined/killed by literally everyone who matters.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 21, 2015

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Did he actually kill billions of people?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Also like Piccolo and Tien himself were complete assholes in DB.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I found English Motherfucking Fanlation Beerus kind of hilarious, and would appreciate a gag dub of Battle of the Gods where everything is the same but Beerus is Samuel L Jackson flinging f-bombs like they were candy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

Did he actually kill billions of people?

He destroyed the populations of multiple planets. Even if you give Nappa a full half of that (and discount things like him blowing up an entire planet during a filler story) "billions" is a conservative estimate.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

ImpAtom posted:

He destroyed the populations of multiple planets. Even if you give Nappa a full half of that (and discount things like him blowing up an entire planet during a filler story) "billions" is a conservative estimate.

But he killed "those" people. I don't care about them. Also wasn't that anime filler?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Dexo posted:

But he killed "those" people. I don't care about them. Also wasn't that anime filler?

It was his job as part of Frieza's crew. Go clear out planet populations so we can sell it to other people who want that prime real estate.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dexo posted:

No, that was what all the Saiyans did. Goku was sent to Earth to do that but ended up bonking his head. Radditz even tried to get Goku to pick up his old job.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Torix posted:

My pet theory is that Super Saiyan 3 is NOT the natural follow-up to Super Saiyan 2. It's some weird freakish side effect state caused by an intentional massive power output.

Both Super Saiyan 1 and 2 are attained by fits of rage or frustration. I think the ACTUAL Super Saiyan 3 would be attained the same way, and I think Vegeta touches on this state in BoG when he flips out over Bulma. I don't think there's ever been a non-transformation power jump as large as going from SS2 to stronger than SS3.

I kinda like this idea because it's never really been shown how Goku got SSJ3 is it? He just goes "check this poo poo out" and transforms doesn't he?

Then Gotenks does the same like he just sussed out the way Goku did it.

They both mention how short a time frame they have when using it too, so it could be easy enough to retcon that it's actually like some kind of Kaioken variation which rapidly increases their strength but puts such a strain on their body that it burns through all of their energy really quickly.

If the Vegeta "bulma" powerup gets explored a bit more in the show, they could even say that he knows all about the SSJ3 technique from when he was Vegitto, but out of pride never considered it a true increase of the SSJ form much like his 'advanced' SSJ which more or less failed when fighting Cell.

Then the whole SSJ god stuff kicks in and makes it all redundant anyway, but something along the lines of the above would be a nice way to address all of the crazy transformation poo poo that happened in the Buu saga.

Mind you, i think it would be kinda cool if the series diverted a little bit from the films. So have goku become the SSJ God or whatever and then his blue haired SSGSSJ form, but Vegeta instead goes down the standard SSJ route eventually leading to a 'true' SSJ3 form. It might give the characters a little more variety.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Dexo posted:

The episode showing them doing exactly that is filler, but the fact that that is what they do isn't.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Vegeta being the prince of all saiyans, there's a certain unknown qualifier on how much he actually had to dirty his hands prior to him killing Nappa. He wasn't sent away to another planet like Goku was, after all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

Vegeta being the prince of all saiyans, there's a certain unknown qualifier on how much he actually had to dirty his hands prior to him killing Nappa. He wasn't sent away to another planet like Goku was, after all.

Dude's entire planet was blown up and he was forced into working with Frieza.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

I remember that scene, but it gets a bit of a different mood if you think of it as Vegeta testing Nappas cooking.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

That was anime filler. Vegeta was Freeza's pet, and elite, so he probably got sent on special missions that involved really irritating people. And he probably let Radditz and Nappa do most of the razing while he handled anyone worth actually fighting, if we go by how he acted on earth.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Idgaf that murdered tons of space people because most of the ones we've seen are pretty awful and they're not as cool as Vegeta.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I wonder what went through the animators' minds here.
"Ok so how do I color this guy? Wait what do you mean there's zero references?! Aw gently caress it."

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Fuego Fish posted:

Translation, especially between languages that share no common grammatical structure, is never a case of converting x into y. You can't boil things down into words or even phrases that have a 1:1 version in the language you're translating into. Everything depends on context and the meaning behind the words.

This particular attitude to translation is a mix between "how are we supposed to know the character is angry unless we put the words 'I'll kill you, you motherfucking cocksucker' in huge bold letters, followed by eight exclamation marks" and (predominately) "in this week's issue, a grumpy space cat throws a tantrum at a birthday party after a pink bubblegum genie licks all the pudding. Now, how am I to convince everyone that this comic aimed at literal children is actually intended for grown adults like me".

The latter being a false supposition because if you're worried about how "childish" your favourite entertainment is, it's not going to look any better throwing a few F-bombs in there. It's also why we have things like "Fallout Equestria".
While you won't get a 1:1 version and some concepts are often outright alien, idioms in a lot of cases will get people close enough to ideas coming across (in some ways, literal translations end up becoming less accurate)

Manga-wise, a lot of those characters were pretty rude and they sure say "poop" a lot and Vegeta isn't just going to kill someone, he's going to {rude adverb} kill someone. "rear end in a top hat" was a birdcall in his Dr Slump manga.

"motherfucking cocksucker" though? I haven't run into that one! What I'm guessing is at play is that for the foul mouth to make sense the translator fills it with the rude words we might use. Which typically have four letters. There's other ways to get across in a cartoon someone is polite enough to be creepy (Freeza) rude out of naivette (Goku) or arrogance (Vegeta) plus the whole shonen tough guy talk thing.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

HGH posted:

I wonder what went through the animators' minds here.
"Ok so how do I color this guy? Wait what do you mean there's zero references?! Aw gently caress it."

Good thing they fixed that scene in Kai :v:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bell_ posted:

"rear end in a top hat" was a birdcall in his Dr Slump manga.

Huh?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Some of the first fansubs I had for old DBZ movies went crazy on the loving GODDAMMIT BITCH translation when you hear a character calmly say "kuso," which would translate to crap or poo poo, depending on tone. Reading that brings me back to the old days.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Baal posted:

Idgaf that murdered tons of space people because most of the ones we've seen are pretty awful and they're not as cool as Vegeta.

Hitler was a pretty cool guy, is what you're saying.

It always comes back to Hitler. Always.:godwinning:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darko posted:

That was anime filler. Vegeta was Freeza's pet, and elite, so he probably got sent on special missions that involved really irritating people. And he probably let Radditz and Nappa do most of the razing while he handled anyone worth actually fighting, if we go by how he acted on earth.

No it wasn't. You're thinking of a different episode. This scene is even in DBKai with fixed coloring.

Edit:

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 21, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Toriyama probably just forgot Vegeta killed all those people, so it no longer happened.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

No it wasn't. You're thinking of a different episode. This scene is even in DBKai with fixed coloring.

Edit:

Ah, my fault, I was. Completely forgot about that actually being in the manga.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The latest Super manga is out, and Gohan and everyone else are taken out offscreen (hopefully to account for this upcoming episode actually having them do something?), while Vegeta gets a longer "not my Bulma" scene. Also, Champa and the woman Whis are searching the universe for giant dragon balls.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Darko posted:

The latest Super manga is out, and Gohan and everyone else are taken out offscreen (hopefully to account for this upcoming episode actually having them do something?), while Vegeta gets a longer "not my Bulma" scene. Also, Champa and the woman Whis are searching the universe for giant dragon balls.

Now the real question is whether those are the Namekian Dragon Balls or something else.

Glad we're seeing progress on that front now though.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Darko posted:

Master roshi was right

KoB
May 1, 2009

Fuego Fish posted:

Translation, especially between languages that share no common grammatical structure, is never a case of converting x into y. You can't boil things down into words or even phrases that have a 1:1 version in the language you're translating into. Everything depends on context and the meaning behind the words.

This particular attitude to translation is a mix between "how are we supposed to know the character is angry unless we put the words 'I'll kill you, you motherfucking cocksucker' in huge bold letters, followed by eight exclamation marks" and (predominately) "in this week's issue, a grumpy space cat throws a tantrum at a birthday party after a pink bubblegum genie licks all the pudding. Now, how am I to convince everyone that this comic aimed at literal children is actually intended for grown adults like me".

The latter being a false supposition because if you're worried about how "childish" your favourite entertainment is, it's not going to look any better throwing a few F-bombs in there. It's also why we have things like "Fallout Equestria".

Most importantly, its a comic for kids.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

actually its a comic for MEN

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
i loved Dragon poo poo Ball Motherfucker Z

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
Those scans remind me of the old VHS fansubs that had Vegeta screaming "COME OUT YOU CANDY rear end human being" when searching for Dr. Gero.

Anime is SERIOUSLY for ADULTS, I swear! Look how much they swear in JAPANESE! :holy:

• Locked thread