Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Three Olives posted:

No specs and launching in the fall.

I don't understand what Google is doing with Wear, none of the Android Wear tech is exactly cutting edge so I don't understand why they are having such a hard time getting their partners to push out hardware in a timely manner.

I mean take the Urbane, it is physically identical to the G R besides the case and even it trickled out on to the market when the G R was already in mass production on the same line.

Personally I get the impression that right now the partners are waiting for Google. Next rev of Android Wear software based on Android M?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Rastor posted:

Personally I get the impression that right now the partners are waiting for Google. Next rev of Android Wear software based on Android M?

Google said a while back not to expect any super huge Wear updates but they were just going to regularly push improvements as they were finished.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

taqueso posted:

Does Fossil have any watches that aren't boring? That isn't a name I'd expect to be pushing the envelope.

A quick google search found the usual assortment of ornate gaudy things

The one they showed is pretty much exactly a 360-2.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

taqueso posted:

Does Fossil have any watches that aren't boring? That isn't a name I'd expect to be pushing the envelope.

Fossil owns Meta Watch which they seem to be letting die for some reason.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

TollTheHounds posted:

I was very disappointed reading this, I mean why even bother. What differentiates the "Fossil" from an Urbane? or Huawei? Other than an intel proc. Absolutely nothing.

Even though I hate the flat tire of the 360 ( and would never buy one, I don't care if you get used to it, it shouldn't be there in the first place! ), I do like that it has no bezels. It's a neat differentiator ( holy poo poo that is a word ).

Uh, hopefully it has an OLED display? It's still pretty far out so there is a chance that it could have usable fitness tracking/GPS and Wear has to be on track to get NFC payment.

Is Intel even doing anything interesting with watch chips? MediaTek announced a Wear specific chip forever ago and said it was already shipping in quantity but no one is using it yet even though a Wear really needs an optimized SOC instead of a gimped Snapdragon or some chips Motorola found in the back of a warehouse somewhere.

Speaking of the Urbane, what the hell ever happened to the Urbane LTE? It was apparently released in Korea months ago but I haven't seen a mention of it since then. It's actually I watch that I would really like to buy if they release it in the US with a decent running app and subscription music service. Actually if that happened half the people I know that run/bike would beat their door down to buy it for $500.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
So what I picked up a Moto 360 last night, its fully updated and I have everything turned off and its draining the battery like crazy and it stays super warm almost hot to the touch. I've rebooted a few times and it hasn't fixed it. Will I need to nuke everything and reinstall Android wear and everything else to fix this or is it a bug, or possibly defective hardware?

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.

BrownieVK posted:

So what I picked up a Moto 360 last night, its fully updated and I have everything turned off and its draining the battery like crazy and it stays super warm almost hot to the touch. I've rebooted a few times and it hasn't fixed it. Will I need to nuke everything and reinstall Android wear and everything else to fix this or is it a bug, or possibly defective hardware?

I had this same issue the first day I had mine, it took a day or two for everything to normalize.

rt_hat
Aug 3, 2003
YARRRR

BrownieVK posted:

I noticed that too when I first powered up my 360 - I think it's doing a lot of updates/syncing with the phone. Those sort of things combined with me fiddling with watch faces, settings, and applications, made it heat up a lot.

After that initial burst of activity, it seemed to be okay.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
Okay that makes sense, its starting to even out more. Now says I can go 8.5 hours but on the battery use Android wear is taking up 11% while everything below it is at 1-3% including idle time. I feel like something is keeping it from idling and that's why the battery is so bad.
I'll let it do its thing for the next day but if it doesn't improve I'll probably have to wipe and reinstall shouldn't take that long.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
http://officialandroid.blogspot.com/2015/08/android-wear-stay-connected-with.html

Latest Wear update is rolling out starting today.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

quote:

Together: Android Wears Together Watch Face lets two people stay close throughout the day by turning the entire watch face into a space for sharing. Once youve paired your watch face with a partners, youll be able to share things like photos and emoji, as well as your activities (like if youre working out, on the phone, or stuck in traffic).

:google: seems pretty squarely aiming at some of the Apple Watch design/marketing with this one...

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Rastor posted:

:google: seems pretty squarely aiming at some of the Apple Watch design/marketing with this one...

Another useless gimmick. This on the other hand I can see using all the time, google voice translate flips the text so you can show people.

In my city it's almost more common for people to not speak English than speak it so this is great.

Chinese is not the best demo choice though since most of us can't even tell when it's upside down.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Android Wear 1.3 interactive watch faces

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Reverse Centaur posted:

Another useless gimmick. This on the other hand I can see using all the time, google voice translate flips the text so you can show people.

In my city it's almost more common for people to not speak English than speak it so this is great.

Chinese is not the best demo choice though since most of us can't even tell when it's upside down.

That, plus like the cut in video angles doesn't make it clear that you're now looking at it from the other side.

Edit: The lug changes sides, that's how you know the watch has been flipped over. It's just not obvious.

V V V V

SpelledBackwards fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 21, 2015

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Reverse Centaur posted:

It's never upside down in that gif, the only way you can tell what's happening is from the watch flipping. Unless you mean people might assume it's upside down, yeah. There's probably a way better video about it

The phone app had this ability for a while though, so the convenience is obviously good but you've been able to do this for a few years!

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 20, 2015

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/08/20/android-wear-lca43-ota-roundup/

Sideloads are popping up now if you don't want to wait "weeks", just the G Watch and the Sony Smartwatch 3 so far, the rest should appear shortly. Also you are poo poo out of luck with the Moto 360 but maybe you won't have to wait months this time.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Three Olives posted:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/08/20/android-wear-lca43-ota-roundup/

Sideloads are popping up now if you don't want to wait "weeks", just the G Watch and the Sony Smartwatch 3 so far, the rest should appear shortly. Also you are poo poo out of luck with the Moto 360 but maybe you won't have to wait months this time.

I updated my G-Watch. For what it's worth it works fine. The translator app works as it does in the gif, and it's good. Same with the watch faces: They are interactive and work fine.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No idea if it's legit but these Moto 360 v2 casing photos match the design from the video that Motorola recently posted on Twitter and then pulled:

https://www.reddit.com/r/moto360/comments/3htu3z/so_i_got_my_hands_on_the_moto_360_v2_watch/

I quite like it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Tunga posted:

No idea if it's legit but these Moto 360 v2 casing photos match the design from the video that Motorola recently posted on Twitter and then pulled:

https://www.reddit.com/r/moto360/comments/3htu3z/so_i_got_my_hands_on_the_moto_360_v2_watch/

I quite like it.

I like it alright, but one of the things I liked about the 360 v1 was the lugless design. It's unique.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The new 360 has also been spotted in the wild on wrists in Chicago.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/08/21/moto-360-2015-in-the-wild/

I'm torn on whether or not I want to upgrade. One one hand, new hotness, on the other hand, my 360 does everything I want it to do so why not just skip a gen and go with a 3rd gen device that will be even better.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I really hoped that leaked case is the bigger version. 45mm is just way too big - I want to see some ~40mm designs.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

bull3964 posted:

I'm torn on whether or not I want to upgrade. One one hand, new hotness, on the other hand, my 360 does everything I want it to do so why not just skip a gen and go with a 3rd gen device that will be even better.

Same.

What will push me over the edge is whether they made the HRM and step counter not-poo poo.

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Jesse Eisenberg fighting Michael Cera. It's supposed to be bundles of twigs topped with brillo pads

bull3964 posted:

Is it just me, or do the lugs look way closer together on that first shot (making for a narrower band)? Because it looks ridiculous in that picture.

One of my issues with many smart watches is that they look so huge. I understand that it helps increase functionality with a touch screen and larger display, not to mention space for a battery, but when you mimic an existing design (like a watch shape) but completely miss the proportions it just ends up looking cartoonish.

VVVVV edit: Ah, that would explain it. But the case doesn't look appreciably smaller, just the lug width. Hard to tell from the one photo.

Ethelinda Sapsea fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 21, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

peterjmatt posted:

Is it just me, or do the lugs look way closer together on that first shot (making for a narrower band)? Because it looks ridiculous in that picture.

One of my issues with many smart watches is that they look so huge. I understand that it helps increase functionality with a touch screen and larger display, not to mention space for a battery, but when you mimic an existing design (like a watch shape) but completely miss the proportions it just ends up looking cartoonish.

The watch is likely to come in both 18mm and 22mm variants, so the first shot is likely 18mm.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

bull3964 posted:

Hmm. Well, I won't be leaping to get the new model based on the style. There would have to be some big upgrade to the internals in order to get me interested.

I don't have a problem with the fat tire, but if they added the lugs why not make the lugs a little thicker and hide the sensor in there? You'd never notice on the black model.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I like it and I'm definitely getting one.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
I'm going to keep my 360 until it breaks (assuming that happens in a reasonable time frame. I've been knocking it into beer taps for 9 months and it's still going strong.). 2nd gen 360 isn't tempting me, which I can be thankful for.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kakairo posted:

Hmm. Well, I won't be leaping to get the new model based on the style. There would have to be some big upgrade to the internals in order to get me interested.

I don't have a problem with the fat tire, but if they added the lugs why not make the lugs a little thicker and hide the sensor in there? You'd never notice on the black model.
They put the display driver/connection there too. I imagine it's not practical to have that in a narrow sticky-out lug.

Edit:

peterjmatt posted:

VVVVV edit: Ah, that would explain it. But the case doesn't look appreciably smaller, just the lug width. Hard to tell from the one photo.
18mm and 22mm are strap sizes, so that's exactly what bull means, just narrower lugs on the same case.

I did some quick comparisons and it definitely seems as though the lugs are narrower on the gold watch (or the watch is bigger, can't be certain):

Open these in two tabs and switch between them to see the difference, the top lug is clearly inside the grey one:
[timg]http://i.imgur.com/wmDMfzq.jpg[/img][/timg]
[timg]http://i.imgur.com/B2YdxPh.jpg[/img][/timg]

Or if we match the lugs, the watches are different sizes:
[timg]http://i.imgur.com/T7wegz0.jpg[/img][/timg]

This could just be a trick of the angles but it doesn't seem that way.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 21, 2015

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Well it took me a stupidly long time but I finally figured out how to sideload the file to my GWR and it works perfectly.

I can post easy instructions here if anyone needs help but I'm going to assume you aren't as dumb about this as I am.

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Jesse Eisenberg fighting Michael Cera. It's supposed to be bundles of twigs topped with brillo pads

Tunga posted:

They put the display driver/connection there too. I imagine it's not practical to have that in a narrow sticky-out lug.

Edit:

18mm and 22mm are strap sizes, so that's exactly what bull means, just narrower lugs on the same case.

I did some quick comparisons and it definitely seems as though the lugs are narrower on the gold watch (or the watch is bigger, can't be certain):

Open these in two tabs and switch between them to see the difference, the top lug is clearly inside the grey one:
[timg]http://i.imgur.com/wmDMfzq.jpg[/img][/timg]
[timg]http://i.imgur.com/B2YdxPh.jpg[/img][/timg]

Or if we match the lugs, the watches are different sizes:
[timg]http://i.imgur.com/T7wegz0.jpg[/img][/timg]

This could just be a trick of the angles but it doesn't seem that way.

I haven't read too many rumors or leaks about the new 360. I would hope if they make a version with narrower lugs that the case would be commensurately smaller. As you say, those pics aren't enough to say for sure what's going on. All I know is that the narrow banded watch looks terrible on that guy's wrist.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
For those with a Moto 360, are performance and battery life still an issue after a year of software updates? And is the metal wristband the way to go? I'm thinking about picking one up today for $149.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

The Brazilian-FCC-equivalent filings seem to indicate that there WILL be two sizes - one device was approved with a IIRC ~375mah battery, another with a 270, and the original had a 325. Moving to exterior lugs might have allowed for a little extra room in the case, hopefully meaning the 375 version won't be any bigger than the first model Moto 360, which would make the 270 significantly smaller.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Hughmoris posted:

For those with a Moto 360, are performance and battery life still an issue after a year of software updates? And is the metal wristband the way to go? I'm thinking about picking one up today for $149.

Depends on who you ask. I've had mine for several months and I don't have an issue with battery life...easily lasts me a whole day. Occasionally, you'll see some stuttering in the UI, but not enough to be a deal-breaker for me. How much that bothers you is likely largely dependent upon how you use the watch. My watch is 90% for reading notifications, and for that use case the UI performance is better than fine.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Hughmoris posted:

Just bought the metal band last week and the battery life is impressive. Plenty for a day. No issues with performance either.

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.

Hughmoris posted:

I've had mine for about a month now and most of the time I go to bed with at least 40% battery left.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.
Same story here, easily lasts over a day with ambient mode off.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
The LG Urbane has dropped to under $300 and Android Wear 1.3 is out for it. Tell me if I am a lunatic for getting one.

I'm 6'3, 230 pounds with large-ish wrists so the size doesn't really bother me. Anyone have one? How is it as a watch? Reviews seem pretty decent. The Huawei Watch gets a lot of press as does the Moto 2 but neither are actually out and by the time they hit there will probably be something else a few months away too - I don't subscribe to the Wait For The Next Big Thing movement but I do like to wait for the second or third pass at new tech and the Urbane looks like a contender with Wear 1.3.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Kakairo posted:

Same story here, easily lasts over a day with ambient mode off.

That's what I'm seeing too. It will only just last me a full day with ambient mode on though.

As for the band I really like the basic leather one but mine hasn't exactly worn well - the side bits are cracked possibly from me trying to do it tight enough to make the heart rate sensor work.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Ixian posted:

The LG Urbane has dropped to under $300 and Android Wear 1.3 is out for it. Tell me if I am a lunatic for getting one.

I'm 6'3, 230 pounds with large-ish wrists so the size doesn't really bother me. Anyone have one? How is it as a watch? Reviews seem pretty decent. The Huawei Watch gets a lot of press as does the Moto 2 but neither are actually out and by the time they hit there will probably be something else a few months away too - I don't subscribe to the Wait For The Next Big Thing movement but I do like to wait for the second or third pass at new tech and the Urbane looks like a contender with Wear 1.3.

I think I'm the only one here with the Urbane. I think it's better than every other smartwatch, by a mile internally (close to the GWR for obvious reasons) and on par with the 360 aesthetically. I've owned most of them. I am having trouble getting a steel band to match tint perfectly, but that's about it. I don't think Huawei or 360-2 are worth waiting for either, although I've had my Urbane for a long time now.

Here's how it looks on my large-ish wrist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Reverse Centaur posted:

I think I'm the only one here with the Urbane. I think it's better than every other smartwatch, by a mile internally (close to the GWR for obvious reasons) and on par with the 360 aesthetically. I've owned most of them. I am having trouble getting a steel band to match tint perfectly, but that's about it. I don't think Huawei or 360-2 are worth waiting for either, although I've had my Urbane for a long time now.

Here's how it looks on my large-ish wrist

Nice. I tried one on at Frys last night, it was actually a little smaller than I thought it would be (I wear a Fitbit Surge for workouts/bike rides so I am used to chunky poo poo I guess). I like the leather strap but the steel band looks nice - seems to be what everyone on Amazon is buying for them.

I'd use mine mostly for fitness tracking, so I'd get a nylon band too probably. Google Fit has come a long way recently while Fitbit seems stuck - not a huge fan of their closed ecosystem so I will probably switch (to Googles' bigger closed ecosystem, I know). Plus I already have my chest strap heartbeat sensor and speed/cadence sensors for my bike hooked up through my phone (neither works with Fitbit) so...It also looks a lot more readable in general, a big drawback of the Surge.

How is it in bright sunlight/outdoors? I read it doesn't have an ambient light sensor?