Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
It's basically a sheer cliff that exposes a ton of ores at that z-level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Magres posted:

Mkay. Depends on what you think is easier/cooler, I suppose. My idea takes ~20 mana spreaders and 10 of them need to have bore lenses (it's basically "fire bore burst down the row, pass it over a row with a non-bore spreader into another bore spreader, repeat") and can do ~110 plants (this is all assuming my math and my knowledge of mana spreaders are both correct, which is definitely not guaranteed). I'm hoping to power it with a bunch of hydroangeas so I don't have to mess with it and could basically just black box it with an item pipe coming out and leading into a barrel of reeds.

or just use ME disintegration panes to remove the first block up

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?

ImpactVector posted:

Is the level 2 cooking book recipe busted? It looks recursive.

e: Beaten, but I've got a picture!
The issue has been reported to Talonos. In the meantime, just cheat for it I guess.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

TheresaJayne posted:

or just use ME disintegration panes to remove the first block up

I enjoy the kind of rube goldberg way Botania does things a lot more than straightforward "I have a block that does this for me." Like the MFR tree cutter and planter blocks are really straightforward and incredibly efficient, but they're really, really boring.

Like at this point my tree farm to RF setup involves like four or five different mods daisy chaining back and forth between each other in the dumbest way possible and it is :perfect:

(I've still got 2-3 steps to implement before I'm ready to take pictures and post to the thread)

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Once I clear an entire island of taint with ethereal blooms, is there any risk it would become tainted again? Taint can't spread over the water, correct?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
No, but it can spread through the caverns underneath the water and infect the biome that way.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Cantorsdust posted:

Once I clear an entire island of taint with ethereal blooms, is there any risk it would become tainted again? Taint can't spread over the water, correct?

The biome might change back due to caverns under the islands, but you won't get any fibrous taint. The fibrous taint is what causes damage and corrupts blocks, so it's mostly harmless.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Of course, that just saves you the work of tracking down caverns yourself!

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

McFrugal posted:

The biome might change back due to caverns under the islands, but you won't get any fibrous taint. The fibrous taint is what causes damage and corrupts blocks, so it's mostly harmless.

Can I effectively grow crops, raise animals, etc in a tainted biome?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Cantorsdust posted:

Can I effectively grow crops, raise animals, etc in a tainted biome?

Yep. Animals won't spawn in tainted lands but most of the island won't be overtaken so it'll be fine.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Note that a tainted biome and fibrous taint are not the same thing. Fibrous taint is the stuff that hurts you, taints animals, prevents plants from growing, etc. Tainted biomes affect what sorts of critters spawn (nothing you want), but as long as you keep the fibrous taint itself from covering your area, you'll dodge the worst of it. Fibrous taint can't spontaneously appear, even in tainted biomes, it has to spread from adjacent fibers, so as long as you don't build a land bridge to somewhere with fibrous on it or dig a pit down to a fibrous cavern, your swamp island will be permanently free of the stuff.

The only other source of fibrous taint that I know of is it is vomited up by tainted sheep, so kill those if you see one swimming towards you (or just build a fence on the edge of your island or something).

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Tainted Creepers produce fibrous taint when they explode. I believe tainted nodes will create fibrous taint nearby as well.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

Note that a tainted biome and fibrous taint are not the same thing. Fibrous taint is the stuff that hurts you, taints animals, prevents plants from growing, etc. Tainted biomes affect what sorts of critters spawn (nothing you want), but as long as you keep the fibrous taint itself from covering your area, you'll dodge the worst of it. Fibrous taint can't spontaneously appear, even in tainted biomes, it has to spread from adjacent fibers, so as long as you don't build a land bridge to somewhere with fibrous on it or dig a pit down to a fibrous cavern, your swamp island will be permanently free of the stuff.

The only other source of fibrous taint that I know of is it is vomited up by tainted sheep, so kill those if you see one swimming towards you (or just build a fence on the edge of your island or something).

I've had a decent portion of my purified island become tainted because taint fiber spawned on the top of the island.

Taint fibers CAN spawn from tainted land. It's annoying when it does so because I haven't bothered to make a totem of dawn and I'm playing solo and I'm about burned out on the map from playing solo.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
So you need to clear an area then carefully extend your area but the area inside shouldnt re-taint unless there is a tainted node in it.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

TheresaJayne posted:

So you need to clear an area then carefully extend your area but the area inside shouldnt re-taint unless there is a tainted node in it.

If there's cavers intercepting at any point of your landmass, you either need to plant a bloom there or run over that area with a purification focus every once in a while. Tainted nodes will immediately re-taint the surrounding lands by tainting and growing fiberious taint.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

SugarAddict posted:

If there's cavers intercepting at any point of your landmass, you either need to plant a bloom there or run over that area with a purification focus every once in a while. Tainted nodes will immediately re-taint the surrounding lands by tainting and growing fiberious taint.

Or you could dig down and wall it off.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

reignonyourparade posted:

Or you could dig down and wall it off.

don't the blooms effect extend from 0 to 512 Y level ?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

SugarAddict posted:

I've had a decent portion of my purified island become tainted because taint fiber spawned on the top of the island.

Taint fibers CAN spawn from tainted land. It's annoying when it does so because I haven't bothered to make a totem of dawn and I'm playing solo and I'm about burned out on the map from playing solo.

You're 100% sure of this? I saw people claiming this so I made a test platform hovering three blocks above some tainted land with fibers on it and everything, and it's still fiber-free. The dirt of the platform hasn't become tainted soil either. The platform is right next to my base so it's quite often in a loaded chunk too. If it can happen it's a phenomenally low chance. You sure a tainted sheep didn't just make its way over and barf on your island?

Question: Is it possible to get an emberheart in Blightfall, or is the Nethermind just uncraftable vestigial research?

Mzbundifund fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Aug 21, 2015

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

You're 100% sure of this? I saw people claiming this so I made a test platform hovering three blocks above some tainted land with fibers on it and everything, and it's still fiber-free. The dirt of the platform hasn't become tainted soil either. The platform is right next to my base so it's quite often in a loaded chunk too. If it can happen it's a phenomenally low chance. You sure a tainted sheep didn't just make its way over and barf on your island?

I am 100% sure that this happened without any tainted sheep involved.

I've always had little patches of tainted land without any fiberious taint, I think it's when tainted land reaches a critical mass that taint can spontaneously appear anywhere along the vertical access,

I'm probably mistaken though, I've had near vertical dead end shafts I've purified found later covered with fiberious taint.

I had those pictures wrong.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Aug 21, 2015

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum
Edit: Forgot to refresh. Beaten.

RichardA fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Aug 21, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I finally have stable and self-sustaining power! Here's my setup:

Big overview shot including my base. Basic setup is a thaumcraft golem powered tree farm feeding into an Infernal Furnace feeding into Endoflames, and a spreader firing into a Redstone Fluxfield.

Closer shot of the tree farm and infrenal furnace. There are barrels for wood, apples, and saplings, with a (wholly unnecessary) dense pipe giving the barrels priority over the infernal furnace. The infernal furnace doubles as charcoal production and disposal of excess saplings and apples. The furnace spits out to the left into a Hungry Chest you can just barely see, and the Hungry Chest has a servo on the underside that pumps charcoal out of the chest, underground, over to...

Here! The dense pipe here on the barrel actually matters, as I want feeding the Endoflames to take priority over amassing charcoal at this point. I'm using the simple setup someone posted earlier in the thread to make the open crate self-limiting so it doesn't waste all of my charcoal. Here I need to add some space upgrades and a void upgrade to the barrel, but that's low on my priorities list at the moment.

Finally, REDSTONE FLUX! The Endoflames feed the mana distributor, which feeds four mana pools so I can have a huge mana battery available. There's one final mana spreader that fires at the Redstone Fluxfield. I've currently got a Resonant cell hooked up to it, charging :toot:

The efficiency is atrocious compared to dynamos (it produces half as much RF per charcoal as a steam dynamo) but it's self-sustaining power in Blightfall :getin:

E: A small edit I made, I moved the mana spreader so it only pulls from one pool instead of two.

E2: More updates, added a second, better gathering golem (advanced tallow instead of plain clay, the new tallow guy has two aquas and a terra in him, as well as spectacles, so he's got really good vision range), and a Brain In A Jar right by the Infernal Furnace to capture all the XP from smelting. A few thousand smelts is a loooot of XP

Magres fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Aug 21, 2015

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

SugarAddict posted:

I am 100% sure that this happened without any tainted sheep involved.

I've always had little patches of tainted land without any fiberious taint, I think it's when tainted land reaches a critical mass that taint can spontaneously appear anywhere along the vertical access,

I'm probably mistaken though, I've had near vertical dead end shafts I've purified found later covered with fiberious taint.

I had those pictures wrong.

Well, you could check to see if there's a cave right below the surface where the fiber spawned. I think they can go through a single block if it can be climbed on... Also, tainted soil is an infection vector.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Magres posted:

I finally have stable and self-sustaining power! Here's my setup:

Big overview shot including my base. Basic setup is a thaumcraft golem powered tree farm feeding into an Infernal Furnace feeding into Endoflames, and a spreader firing into a Redstone Fluxfield.

Closer shot of the tree farm and infrenal furnace. There are barrels for wood, apples, and saplings, with a (wholly unnecessary) dense pipe giving the barrels priority over the infernal furnace. The infernal furnace doubles as charcoal production and disposal of excess saplings and apples. The furnace spits out to the left into a Hungry Chest you can just barely see, and the Hungry Chest has a servo on the underside that pumps charcoal out of the chest, underground, over to...

Here! The dense pipe here on the barrel actually matters, as I want feeding the Endoflames to take priority over amassing charcoal at this point. I'm using the simple setup someone posted earlier in the thread to make the open crate self-limiting so it doesn't waste all of my charcoal. Here I need to add some space upgrades and a void upgrade to the barrel, but that's low on my priorities list at the moment.

Finally, REDSTONE FLUX! The Endoflames feed the mana distributor, which feeds four mana pools so I can have a huge mana battery available. There's one final mana spreader that fires at the Redstone Fluxfield. I've currently got a Resonant cell hooked up to it, charging :toot:

The efficiency is atrocious compared to dynamos (it produces half as much RF per charcoal as a steam dynamo) but it's self-sustaining power in Blightfall :getin:

E: A small edit I made, I moved the mana spreader so it only pulls from one pool instead of two.

E2: More updates, added a second, better gathering golem (advanced tallow instead of plain clay, the new tallow guy has two aquas and a terra in him, as well as spectacles, so he's got really good vision range), and a Brain In A Jar right by the Infernal Furnace to capture all the XP from smelting. A few thousand smelts is a loooot of XP

gently caress this is so cool. I'm building this when I get home. What's a good way to move the RF over long distances?

Edit: Can you tell me how your tree farm is set up? Does a wood cutter golem replant?

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Aug 21, 2015

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

gently caress this is so cool. I'm building this when I get home. What's a good way to move the RF over long distances?

Probably trains, otherwise spreader->mana pool->another spreader

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

If you go from spreader to pool, zero mana is lost, right? It's only lost when a beam (whether from your MANA GUN or another spreader) hits a spreader?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

hint: feed all the apples into a dropper pointing up, next to a gourmaryllis, then trigger it every 3 seconds for free mana out of useless apples

(I think automagy has a timer of some sort or failing that use an ethonian hopper clock (fourth third one))

Gwyneth Palpate fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 21, 2015

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Botania has the Hovering Hourglass, and automagy has an even more precise (and slightly more difficult to produce) variety with some extra redstone features. Both are great one-block timed redstone pulsers.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

Edit: Can you tell me how your tree farm is set up? Does a wood cutter golem replant?

Nope, choppers don't replant. It's a Thaumium golem with spectacles (sight upgrade) and an aqua upgrade and a terra upgrade (aqua is another sight upgrade, terra makes him chop faster) doing the chopping. Then I have a straw golem with a use core doing the planting because he's fast. Finally, I have/had a clay golem with spectacles and an aqua upgrade and a gather core. He was a little slow on his own so I went overkill and added an advanced tallow golem with spectacles and an aer (go faster) an aqua and a terra (carry more) upgrade. A regular tallow golem or two with an aqua and a terra upgrade would do the trick though, if you're not into warp research or using commands to circumvent warp.

E: you can also mix in hopperhocks in place of Gather golems, they're much more predictable, work way faster, and are easier to make. And more server friendly! I'm probably gonna switch my farm up when I get home from work and switch the gather golems to harvesters and put them in my wheat fields.

Thanks for the tip on apples, arioch! I'm also considering just straight up adding a second tree farm and adding another 10-15 endoflames :getin:

Magres fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 21, 2015

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Mzbundifund posted:

Botania has the Hovering Hourglass, and automagy has an even more precise (and slightly more difficult to produce) variety with some extra redstone features. Both are great one-block timed redstone pulsers.

oh hey, i had left out the hovering hourglass because I thought the version in blightfall was too old to have it but it turns out it's exactly the version in which it was added

but not the version in which the memory leak associated with it was fixed :iamafag:

so it should probably be avoided

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yikes, thanks for the warning. I was just about to make some. I'll use the automagy version instead.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

to be fair to mod pack makers out there, botania probably gets the most updates of any mod out there so staying on top of that poo poo is probably a fool's errand

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Nah, Talonos had to hit a logical point to content freeze everything in order to polish, keeping on updating mods would cause issues.

FOR EXAMPLE, updating chisel has terrible, terrible consequences!* :haw:

*The entire ship vanishes.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Can you add in a way to get rid of the cosmetic blood block things that are near the spires waypoint and in the upper parts of the obsidian spire? They appear to be indestructible and will persist even if you remove all the blocks adjacent to them.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
So here's my suggestion if you're ever in a mod pack that has more resources than Blightfall or if you're rolling in the Redstone in Blightfall.

Make the Wanderer's Gloves. They don't take a slot (they use one of those tinker's armor slots), they do nothing, and they only cost some leather.

But you can put redstone on them, same as any tool, but it effects every tool that you use.

It's absurd.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Anyone got any ideas for cool poo poo I can do in Blightfall with my RF output? I figure I'll finally get into AE2, and probably use like Cyclic Assemblers and a Rancher to automate some production of Dawn Totem/Machine related materials, but I can't really think of anything else cool to do with RF.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Magres posted:

Anyone got any ideas for cool poo poo I can do in Blightfall with my RF output? I figure I'll finally get into AE2, and probably use like Cyclic Assemblers and a Rancher to automate some production of Dawn Totem/Machine related materials, but I can't really think of anything else cool to do with RF.

I haven't checked if the MFR mining lasers are actually enabled, but that has always been the go-to for pissing away surplus RF. If you can get the right filters on it, you can get it to draw out enough yellorium to self-sustain it with a reactor. Wait... were you the one that didn't want to do that? Well, it can still vomit out various ores for you.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
I've never made a tinker construct's hammer before and when I got lucky with my first sapling being darkwood I decided to try all the advanced tc tools and holy poo poo why are pickaxes necessary again :aaa:

also what's the benefit of angallam? I had my last two gold ingots I was gonna make the spare thaumometer with but I didn't realize that the iron ingot I put in to make some bolts would fuse with one of them meaning I have to wait for the next gold cache to finish it :negative:

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Desperate Character posted:

I've never made a tinker construct's hammer before and when I got lucky with my first sapling being darkwood I decided to try all the advanced tc tools and holy poo poo why are pickaxes necessary again :aaa:

also what's the benefit of angallam? I had my last two gold ingots I was gonna make the spare thaumometer with but I didn't realize that the iron ingot I put in to make some bolts would fuse with one of them meaning I have to wait for the next gold cache to finish it :negative:

angmallen takes a lot less xp to level up, pretty sure

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Desperate Character posted:

Angmallen sucks.

I think it mixes the enchantability of gold with the strength of iron, which I doubt you care about. I think you can also make coins with it and stretch gold as a consequence--if you're playing on a server that does that kind of thing--which I doubt you care about. Failing that, it generally just serves as a way to piss you off and make your YouTube followers laugh at you, which I again doubt you care about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I haven't checked if the MFR mining lasers are actually enabled, but that has always been the go-to for pissing away surplus RF. If you can get the right filters on it, you can get it to draw out enough yellorium to self-sustain it with a reactor. Wait... were you the one that didn't want to do that? Well, it can still vomit out various ores for you.

Yeah, I'm a nuclear engineering grad student by day so I don't really want to think nuclear things when I'm in the mood to relax, drink beer, and screw around with little pixel blocks. I'll probably burn a lot of my RF powering a tesseract so I can have some better mobility to my operations, now that I think about it. I need to make sure I can support a tesseract and all of my plans for automation at the same time if I'm going to do the super dawn machine setup that keeps the thing fueled and juiced up no matter where it is.

If I can figure out a way to get AE2 and the thaumcraft version of AE2 to work across a tesseract, I'm really in business, otherwise I've gotta hope I can figure out a way to cram everything into a 5x5.

Magres fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 21, 2015