Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

EmmyOk posted:

Are you saying T-Man chooses which emotion to feel?

I'm saying that if he was just autistic and couldn't figure out what was going wrong with his relationships, I might be inclined to cut him some slack for being socially incompetent; this sequence makes it obvious, though, that he does know how social interaction is supposed to work and he just isn't doing anything to prevent his incompetence from becoming everyone else's problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm saying that if he was just autistic and couldn't figure out what was going wrong with his relationships, I might be inclined to cut him some slack for being socially incompetent; this sequence makes it obvious, though, that he does know how social interaction is supposed to work and he just isn't doing anything to prevent his incompetence from becoming everyone else's problem.

I think we should stop discussing Tony in terms of autism, and I say this as someone who repeatedly called him autismo5000. Autism is a spectrum of disorders and I imagine most if not all of us haven't got a breeze about any of them.

I guess I don't agree with your assertion because I don't think you can use one of a person's relationships to judge their other ones.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Lurdiak posted:

Zimmy is a true hero.

She really is. I wonder what she's been up to. My guess: hanging out with Gamma.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Hanging out with somebody who looks like Jack

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Rand Brittain posted:

Remember that story told earlier where Tony was able to open up to his friend Donald, but froze up and behaved like an emotionless rear end in a top hat to others even though he was so tense he was cutting himself with his own fingernails? Do you think that has any relevance to this story being told now where Tony is able to open up to his friend Donald but is behaving like an emotionless rear end in a top hat to others?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

EmmyOk posted:

I think we should stop discussing Tony in terms of autism, and I say this as someone who repeatedly called him autismo5000. Autism is a spectrum of disorders and I imagine most if not all of us haven't got a breeze about any of them.

I guess I don't agree with your assertion because I don't think you can use one of a person's relationships to judge their other ones.

No one in this thread is discussing things "in terms of autism". They are talking about a character in a story with bad social skills (to put it very generally) and using a slur to refer to it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Patrick Spens posted:

Remember that story told earlier where Tony was able to open up to his friend Donald, but froze up and behaved like an emotionless rear end in a top hat to others even though he was so tense he was cutting himself with his own fingernails? Do you think that has any relevance to this story being told now where Tony is able to open up to his friend Donald but is behaving like an emotionless rear end in a top hat to others?

Obviously. He seemed a lot more confused, then, so it was easier to believe that he thought Stern Robot Father was the way to go because he was just that out of it. Now it seems more like he's sufficiently with it that he ought to know better.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

SHISHKABOB posted:

No one in this thread is discussing things "in terms of autism". They are talking about a character in a story with bad social skills (to put it very generally) and using a slur to refer to it.

All of the following are pretty clearly discussing autism as in the mental disorder and not the slur. Perhaps you could read posts instead of just making them.

Tupperwarez posted:

Well, Surma does say that all he had to do was to just be there. He probably threw himself in his training because he thought it was Important. Then, when Surma called him out on it, he probably brushed it off, or worse, flat out told her the training was Important and silly relationship things could wait. Surma doesn't seem like the type of person who would take well to being patronized or dismissed out of hand.

:geno: By expending all my time and effort to find a solution to my daughter's situation, I am already demonstrating my love for her. Any further declarations would be redundant and a waste of time, of which we have precious little. :geno:

Anthony being somewhere on the autism spectrum might explain a few things.

Dienes posted:

I work with people with autism, schizophrenia, PTSD, brain injury, etc. every day. Its not even close to the behaviors we see from Tony. Flat affect or not, Tony doesn't have a mental disorder. He's just an intelligent introvert with more academic experience than real life experience. Not saying his actions are right, but to say he's autistic is quite a reach.

I'm sure Coyote would be more than happy to give him a replacement arm/hand made of wood.

Cat Mattress posted:

Anthony Carver has autism-like symptoms such as his complete inability to process social situations ("you just know!" "that's an unacceptable answer!"). Doesn't mean it's necessarily autism he has, or that autism is used as an insult against him, or that real-world people with autism behave exactly like Anthony.

I have an autistic cousin who is a bit like Tony on some points, always concerned with appearing calm and serious in public, never betraying any emotion or spontaneity, always dressed like he's going to a job interview (even when he was a young child). He never got to have a fire-elemental daughter, though, so I guess the parallel is not perfect.

Rand Brittain posted:

Anthony may not be on the autism spectrum, but he has some kind of severe mental abnormality. His problems go way deeper than being very introverted and unfamiliar with social norms.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Please use the more scientific term: "sperglord"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Get a grip Tony.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I believe the PC term is spastic mentalist

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Am I remembering correctly in that Zimmy is actually the only one who remembers exactly what happened there? It was all like a confusing dream for Kat, Annie had no idea of anything and now Tony has just (mostly correct it turns out) guesses at what he saw.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

He's not autistic, though if he does have an illness of some kind, I'd put my money on an anxiety related condition. Whatever his issue is, it's significant enough to cause him extreme impairment in his interpersonal relationships. It isn't as simple a thing as him being socially incompetent or being obstinate for the hell of it or something like that.

It doesn't help that he took on all that guilt and self-blame after Surma's death. He blames himself and because he blames himself he thinks Annie also blames him and he apparently can't imagine any other reaction from her. Now that he knows he put her in danger, he must feel even worse. It could also explain why he is so focused on her school work and ignores every other subject and consideration. That's a safe area, it has nothing to directly do with his dead wife or how he almost removed his daughter's soul by accident. The rest of it, is probably him trying to protect his daughter from what he sees as threats without understanding what these things mean to her since she is a stranger to him. His understanding of his daughter's situation is really poor in all regards.

This is not a matter of logic or savvy or whatever. The dude has colossal emotional hang ups and they are pretty much wrecking him.

Donnie knows this, which is why he is having Annie spy on their conversation instead of telling him to just talk to her, cause he knows Tony can't. Maybe one day he can, but not today.

^ Yeah, I'm pretty sure the antenna stuff is news to Annie, she was unconscious for most of that chapter and Kat forgot most of it so she couldn't have told her.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I'd guess Gamma would know what happened, too. Annie remembers having a dream where Zimmy showed up and punched her dad in the face, though.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think having heard Tony explain it Annie now has enough context to understand what she previously thought was a dream.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

She really is. I wonder what she's been up to. My guess: hanging out with Gamma.

dragon enthusiast posted:

Hanging out with somebody who looks like Jack

Dressing Gamma as Jack.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Blackheart posted:

Am I remembering correctly in that Zimmy is actually the only one who remembers exactly what happened there? It was all like a confusing dream for Kat, Annie had no idea of anything and now Tony has just (mostly correct it turns out) guesses at what he saw.

Well it's not like Zimmy knows exactly what was going on either. She worked out that the stuff hurting Annie was coming from her dad, but she had no idea why or how he was doing it.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Rand Brittain posted:

i realize this is sort of fringey pseudoscience on Something Awful where literally everyone is literally autistic, but crippling social anxiety is a different thing from autism and hanging around your estranged daughter you barely know and who you think might resent you is sort of a prime situation to set it off

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

wow i really can't get how the guy who freezes up and starts pushing people away in unfamiliar and emotionally fraught situations, like a hot girl asking you out for the first time or seeing your only child for the first time in years, could relax and have a private drink with his childhood buddy at any point in his life, i really hate him now

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

wow i really can't get how the guy who freezes up and starts pushing people away in unfamiliar and emotionally fraught situations, like a hot girl asking you out for the first time or seeing your only child for the first time in years, could relax and have a private drink with his childhood buddy at any point in his life, i really hate him now

Maybe sperglord disease? Makes uyou think

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k
Divine begins with Zimmy running from the mark Jeanne put on Annie as it tries to cling to Zimmy's face in the ether. I wonder what "sent" the message to Zimmy that Annie was in trouble like that?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I hope the bonus page for this chapter is Tony and Zimmy walking past each other on the school ground and locking eyes

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Macaluso posted:

I hope the bonus page for this chapter is Tony and Zimmy walking past each other on the school ground and locking eyes

No the bonus page has to be Kat and Metal Gear Solid V

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Only if followed by a stiff nod, and an exchange of "Mate."

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Bonus page is Basil Fun Time.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

I think having heard Tony explain it Annie now has enough context to understand what she previously thought was a dream.

Yeah that's what I think too. I thought she realised that last page, judging by her expression.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Can't wait till next chapter where we find out that the headmaster is actually a super cool dad and Vegeta and Whatsherface are just being over-reactionary kids like most teenagers.

"Be home by 9, dear!"
"GAH DAD I'LL DATE WHO I WANT!"

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Can't wait till next chapter where we find out that the headmaster is actually a super cool dad and Vegeta and Whatsherface are just being over-reactionary kids like most teenagers.

"Be home by 9, dear!"
"GAH DAD I'LL DATE WHO I WANT!"

Well, that would sort of be in line with the story they're based on.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Oh, yeah, the headmaster isn't evil either.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The fact he picked Smitty not Annie to be medium and it turns out to be excellent decision never stops being funny to me because it's initially presented as such an assholish thing.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 23, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

EmmyOk posted:

The fact he picked Smitty not Annie to be medium and it turns out to be excellent decision never stops being funny to me because it's initially presented as such an assholish thing.

His motives for doing so are suspect, regardless of results.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Lurdiak posted:

Maybe he just thinks Smitty is a way cool guy. I mean, who doesn't?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Except they're not at all? Hey who do I want to be my representative between what's basically two countries? Perfect Order Boy who's grown up here and shown 0 signs of being hard to expect or order around, or a Fiery Girl who is descendant of a magical creature who time and time again shown herself to be unstable, untrustworthy, AND unwilling to cooperate with the Court or even just follow the basic order or even the simplest school rules. Annie's a political landmine and honestly it was amazing that she was even considered for medium.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Except they're not at all? Hey who do I want to be my representative between what's basically two countries? Perfect Order Boy who's grown up here and shown 0 signs of being hard to expect or order around, or a Fiery Girl who is descendant of a magical creature who time and time again shown herself to be unstable, untrustworthy, AND unwilling to cooperate with the Court or even just follow the basic order or even the simplest school rules. Annie's a political landmine and honestly it was amazing that she was even considered for medium.

The fact that everyone, including Jones and Coyote, thought Annie was the best person for the job casts doubt on the decision.

Good rationalizing, though.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Blackheart posted:

Oh, yeah, the headmaster isn't evil either.

Wait, people think the headmaster is evil?

I always thought he was just an rear end in a top hat.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah, I don't think anyone accused the guy of being evil.

In fact, I don't think anyone called Tony evil, either. He's just a huge piece of poo poo.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah, not choosing Annie as medium was a totally sensible decision from the Court. Really, the only thing they did wrong was leading everybody on and letting them (including Jones) think it was going to be decided on skill alone and then yanking the rug out from under them at the last minute—which promptly backfired on them, of course.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

The fact that everyone, including Jones and Coyote, thought Annie was the best person for the job casts doubt on the decision.

Solid and upstanding citizen Coyote.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Lurdiak posted:

Coyote thinking something is a good idea isn't really a good sign.

Jones doesn't always understand how humans work or what's best for them.

Smitty was the best person for the job, he's rational and level headed and literally personifies the value of order. He's the perfect diplomat. But it was still a dick move to trick Annie into thinking she might be an chosen and then humiliate her in front of everyone at a public ceremony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Noted Trickster God Coyote agrees with Putting girl who's strangely attached to Forest in charge of political decisions for Forest opponents. Seems pretty legit.

Are you dumb or what?

Jones on the other hand has shown herself to get attached to a few people and do her best to help them along and she's not exactly perfect at understanding how humans do things. She's well intentioned, especially with those she's grown attached too (and it's arguable that Annie is one of those people) but she can do dumb poo poo because of it. There's that whole awkward scene with younger James when he was heart broken to show that off.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 23, 2015