Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

4K restoration

2010 edition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
There's a clear difference in the colors there, but I still don't really know why I should prefer one over the other. So far this 4k thing really hasn't compelled me to upgrade.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

There's a clear difference in the colors there, but I still don't really know why I should prefer one over the other. So far this 4k thing really hasn't compelled me to upgrade.

You don't see a difference in sharpness on those images?

edit: I mean seriously

I'm not saying you should upgrade to the new release if you have the old one, but it does certainly look better.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 18, 2015

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Basebf555 posted:

The texture of the new one is way more detailed. You can see Kirk Douglas's loving pores.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

wa27 posted:

You seriously don't see a difference in sharpness on those images?

edit: I mean seriously

I'm not saying you should upgrade to the new release if you have the old one, but it does certainly look better.

I can see it now that you've zoomed so far in on his eyes, but truthfully I didn't notice any difference in the original image. I guess that level of detail just isn't something I've trained my eyes to notice.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Basebf555 posted:

I can see it now that you've zoomed so far in on his eyes, but truthfully I didn't notice any difference in the original image. I guess that level of detail just isn't something I've trained my eyes to notice.

Are you viewing on a phone? Open the two images in separate tabs on your computer and flick between them, if you can't spot the difference then don't bother upgrading. But it's a massive one, particularly in motion.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lizard Combatant posted:

Are you viewing on a phone? Open the two images in separate tabs on your computer and flick between them, if you can't spot the difference then don't bother upgrading. But it's a massive one, particularly in motion.

Ah, yea that did it. When I made them full screen and flicked between them I could definitely see the difference. I suppose if it were playing on a 40+ inch television it would be very noticeable.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
There we go!

Now, where's my 4k transfer of The Abyss :colbert:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Egbert Souse posted:

4K restoration

2010 edition

Holy poo poo.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Yeah, the original Spartacus Blu has some pretty aggressive image scrubbing on it. It's not Predator levels of awful, but it's bad enough that when you watch it, the weird wax figure look does become distracting. It's the one sore spot in the Kubrick Collection, so I'll probably pick this up and swap the discs.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Is the Tarantino XX set worth the money or should I wait in case a better or more comprehensive set comes out. The only Tarantino films I own on Blu-Ray are Django and Basterds. I own the rest on DVD but they're a bit old and worn.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

kuddles posted:

Yeah, the original Spartacus Blu has some pretty aggressive image scrubbing on it. It's not Predator levels of awful, but it's bad enough that when you watch it, the weird wax figure look does become distracting. It's the one sore spot in the Kubrick Collection, so I'll probably pick this up and swap the discs.

Basically, the old Blu-Ray used a transfer made around 2000 from a 65mm interpositive. So, it was already a few generations away from the negative. They opted to noise reduce the old transfer a bit too much. The HD-DVD used a purer encode of the same transfer, but it's very noisy.

According to Robert Harris (who supervised the restoration), this is just part of Universal's new operations. It looks like they finally took the criticism to heart about their mediocre releases and they're going to be releasing stuff more like this and the new Apollo 13 instead of the ratty old transfers.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
New Christopher Nolan film is up for pre-order!!

Or rather, the Quay Brothers Collected Short Films set, presented by and containing a new short film by Christopher Nolan, is up for preorder. Awesome set, and I hope Nolan's name brings some much-deserved attention to this.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

i just got the Hackers bluray and thank GOD the cover is reversible

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

Is the Tarantino XX set worth the money or should I wait in case a better or more comprehensive set comes out. The only Tarantino films I own on Blu-Ray are Django and Basterds. I own the rest on DVD but they're a bit old and worn.

The discs in there are all 5-10 bucks each if you get them individually so unless you feel a great need to own the box they come in, I'd say no.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lizard Combatant posted:

There we go!

Now, where's my 4k transfer of The Abyss :colbert:
Tell me about it. :sigh:

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Man, sometimes blu ray can be a bit detrimental to the experience. I just watched The Omega Man and the dude riding the bike when they escape from the family the first time is like so not Charlton Heston , lol.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

GhostDog posted:

Man, sometimes blu ray can be a bit detrimental to the experience. I just watched The Omega Man and the dude riding the bike when they escape from the family the first time is like so not Charlton Heston , lol.

This is the case with a LOT of older action movies. It's especially noticeable in the 007 flicks.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

GhostDog posted:

I wouldn't trade the visual quality for the world, but it's sometimes jarring when the clarity that Bluray provides creates a moment in my favourite films where you suddenly get taken out of the film. (Recent examples: You can now see a thin outline of the wires that make the UFO fly in The Day The Earth Stood Still, and the cuts between real actors and animatronic models in movies like The Terminator, The Thing and Alien comes off as way more pronounced then they did on DVD.)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

kuddles posted:

I wouldn't trade the visual quality for the world, but it's sometimes jarring when the clarity that Bluray provides creates a moment in my favourite films where you suddenly get taken out of the film. (Recent examples: You can now see a thin outline of the wires that make the UFO fly in The Day The Earth Stood Still, and the cuts between real actors and animatronic models in movies like The Terminator, The Thing and Alien comes off as way more pronounced then they did on DVD.)

Someone told me there was a coffee stain on Spock's shirt in one episode on the Star Trek blurays, but I didn't see it even looking out for it.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

CPL593H posted:

The texture of the new one is way more detailed. You can see Kirk Douglas's loving pores.

Also he doesn't look like a ham roast anymore.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

kuddles posted:

The battle with the giant goblin-mech in Labyrinth at the city wall was when I first noticed the "magic" of blu-ray, when a row of metal spikes just bounced when something hit it.

All of us watching just looked at each other and laughed.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Jack Gladney posted:

Someone told me there was a coffee stain on Spock's shirt in one episode on the Star Trek blurays, but I didn't see it even looking out for it.
I haven't seen the coffee stain, but the stunt doubles are very obvious in the Trek blurays. As are all the scenes where they got the focus wrong and didn't bother re-shooting because who would notice on a 13" tv? And in TNG, the episode where the aliens want to kill Wesley for stepping on some flowers, those outfits were really not designed to be seen in HD.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
The stunt doubles were always obvious, at least on the old DVD masters, since they rarely look like the actors.

As for the focus, I notice that any shot of a woman up close would usually have the soft focus used, which is really jarring.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Evil Dead is really hard to watch on blu-ray due to the focus issues. More of that movie is out of focus than is in.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Dredd (2D+3D) - $4.99
Equilibrium - $4.99
Fast & Furious 6-movie collection - $31.99

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jose Oquendo posted:

This is the case with a LOT of older action movies. It's especially noticeable in the 007 flicks.

Not just the older ones, even.

"Arnold" looks more like Van Damme.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Timby posted:

Not just the older ones, even.

"Arnold" looks more like Van Damme.

To be fair, that's not a blu-ray problem. That poo poo was always glaringly obvious. Terminator 2 is riddled with revealing errors like that.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Less time passed between The Omega Man and Terminator 2 than has passed between us and T2. I think that means T2 now counts as an old movie.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Less time passed between The Omega Man and Terminator 2 than has passed between us and T2. I think that means T2 now counts as an old movie.

Time to come to terms with my mortality.

On that note, should I get Six Feet Under on DVD dirt cheap now or wait a bit and hope for a blu ray release?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

GhostDog posted:

Time to come to terms with my mortality.

On that note, should I get Six Feet Under on DVD dirt cheap now or wait a bit and hope for a blu ray release?

I'd say neither and just watch it on Amazon Prime. Season 3-5 are in HD.

(or I guess do a 30 day trial with HBO Now)

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Sadly it's not part of Prime for german customers. And HBO is only available as a Sky channel, the cheapest package you can get even if you only want HBO is something like 40 Euros a month :argh:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

GhostDog posted:

Sadly it's not part of Prime for german customers. And HBO is only available as a Sky channel, the cheapest package you can get even if you only want HBO is something like 40 Euros a month :argh:

Bummer. There's no way to VPN it?

You'll be safe with the DVD since the first two seasons aren't in HD.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Criterion's 25-film Zatoichi collection on sale for $97.99, more than half-off MSRP

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kino Lorber is releasing a 2-disc set of Jonas Mekas films on Nov. 17.

It includes Lost Lost Lost and Walden, as well as six short films (including Notes on the Circus). Extras include commentary by Mekas on both features, documentary, and a booklet.

edit: Also, The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies Extended Edition is coming on the same date and will be R-rated. :raise:

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 25, 2015

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Call Me Charlie posted:

Bummer. There's no way to VPN it?

You'll be safe with the DVD since the first two seasons aren't in HD.

HBO Go works fine with my DNS service, and I expect HBO Now would work the same way. I don't know when it's available outside of Apple users if you're not one, but I've signed up to things like Adobe to get American pricing without a U.S. Cars with no issues. Worth looking into anyway.

Is six feet under even on HBO Go/Now? I thought it wasn't for some reason.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

EL BROMANCE posted:

HBO Go works fine with my DNS service, and I expect HBO Now would work the same way. I don't know when it's available outside of Apple users if you're not one, but I've signed up to things like Adobe to get American pricing without a U.S. Cars with no issues. Worth looking into anyway.

Is six feet under even on HBO Go/Now? I thought it wasn't for some reason.

I got it on my Fire TV and I think it has a web player.

HBO Go is pretty good at having a show if it was made after Oz.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Call Me Charlie posted:

I got it on my Fire TV and I think it has a web player.

HBO Go is pretty good at having a show if it was made after Oz.

Where is my Larry Sanders :argh:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

bobkatt013 posted:

Where is my Larry Sanders :argh:

Sony Pictures seems to own it.

And I guess Shout licensed out Tales From The Crypt (but where's my Mr Show :argh:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Call Me Charlie posted:

(but where's my Mr Show :argh:)

Was Mr. Show shot in HD?

• Locked thread