Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Renegret posted:

Ugh I'm no driving all the way to Maryland. I think their NOC is in Syracuse but that's just as much of a pain to get to.

They just told me over the phone that Union Square isn't part of their service area and...I just can't. I can't do this today. Just no.

Union Square NYC? Isn't one of their big offices up on 23rd?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

PCOS Bill posted:

I bath boozed the other day. Fireball whiskey and red cream soda. Then I took a nap in the tub until the water was nearly cold.

What a good day that was.

This, but beer, a good book about killing things, and the realization I can add more hot water to keep the thing going.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

FireSight posted:

Right before I came onboard, we moved from WebHelpdesk to CA Service Desk. This has been one persons pet project, and... so far it's been a nightmare. Between CA putting us on a beta version instead of the version they demo'd for us, and the HUGE limitations in customization and organization, and all the dropdowns having to query a server every time they want to populate...
We need to find a better solution. I've suggested ZenDesk, but I was told it's too expensive per-user.

How does Jira work for helpdesk ticketing? We use the bugtracker version for bugtracking/ops-ticketing and, in 15 years of using various bugtrackers and ticketing systems, it's the very first I've ever used that almost didn't completely suck maybe. There's apparently a version tweaked for service desks.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

divabot posted:

How does Jira work for helpdesk ticketing? We use the bugtracker version for bugtracking/ops-ticketing and, in 15 years of using various bugtrackers and ticketing systems, it's the very first I've ever used that almost didn't completely suck maybe. There's apparently a version tweaked for service desks.

It's pretty good, and I'm not just saying that because half of my team at my last job got poached to work on it...

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
A sales manager calls ...

He suddenly can't access his exchange account through is iPad. I look into AD, account isn't locked, password doesn't look to be expired. I walk him through a couple of other steps, nothing works. Reset his password, just in case, and give him the new one. It's late at night, so he decides we will just resume in the morning.

The next morning I talk to him on the phone. I walk him through exactly how to put in his password, and it works!

Later that afternoon he calls again, "I can't access my email on my laptop now." I remote into his laptop, pop in his password, boom it works.

This morning he sends me a text. "Email still not working on phone." I ask him if it is asking for his password. "Nevermind it works now."

Where the gently caress do we find these people?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

siggy2021 posted:

Where the gently caress do we find these people?

Where I come from, it's usually the owner's family tree.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Nerdrock posted:

Where I come from, it's usually the owner's family tree.

Does it count as a tree if it's just two twigs sticking out of a dead badger's arsehole?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

DigitalRaven posted:

Does it count as a tree if it's just two twigs sticking out of a dead badger's arsehole?

poor badger :ohdear:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Does skinny p know?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

divabot posted:

Jira Service Desk for 6 agents would be $3000 plus maintenance, or $150/month for hosted, and it sounds like they're price-sensitive. Jira's great, but their pricing model is dumb.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

neogeo0823 posted:

Do shower beers count for this particular thought exercise?

I've been waiting for an excuse to post this.

Dillbag posted:

If you think shower beer is amazing just wait until you have a poo poo smoke.

Alternatively, a poo poo coffee if you're not a filthy nicotine addict.
If you don't smoke, take up vaping. There's even a clever word for vaping on the toilet: voopin.

edit:

divabot posted:

Expensive, but one of the better ones.
IMO, RT is totally acceptable. Then again osTicket isn't terrible either.

oh what about Spiceworks?

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Aug 21, 2015

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I don't get much shower boozing, but shower coffee is amazing.

Also poo poo coffee WHILE poo poo smoking is the height of hedonism and I miss it so much.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Erwin posted:

Jira Service Desk for 6 agents would be $3000 plus maintenance, or $150/month for hosted, and it sounds like they're price-sensitive. Jira's great, but their pricing model is dumb.

I customized the $10/10 users version to handle a simple helpdesk workflow, which wasn't so bad (but it takes a bit to set up)

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I think if a Zendesk setup for them is to expensive that they're going to have a hard time finding anything worthwhile for cheaper. I mean I guess you could use Spiceworks but I wouldn't want to unless it was my last option available.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Our IT guy is so overloaded that instead of submitting a ticket I've taken to running scanpst myself when - like today - the inevitable happens.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I had to teach somehow that's used the internet for years to use the internet today. Like, the very basics, from opening the web browser and going to a web site and logging to in webmail. It was a painful and frustrating experience, and I literally with I was dead.

Chriswizard
May 6, 2007

FireSight posted:

Alright guys, I need some help.

Right before I came onboard, we moved from WebHelpdesk to CA Service Desk. This has been one persons pet project, and... so far it's been a nightmare. Between CA putting us on a beta version instead of the version they demo'd for us, and the HUGE limitations in customization and organization, and all the dropdowns having to query a server every time they want to populate...

We need to find a better solution. I've suggested ZenDesk, but I was told it's too expensive per-user.

Note, I'm working for a non-profit, and despite the fact that all 250 employees are on freaking Macbook Airs, we apparently can't afford Zendesk licenses for 6 people.

So somebody toss me suggestions for cheap ticketing software that allows for easy running of reports and decent customization ability. I mean, I love the person who is working on getting CA set up, she's an awesome person, but I think the VP of tech is stuck on the Sunk Costs Fallacy. At this point, she's not been working on tickets for MONTHS because she's been spending all her time getting the ticketing system to work. At some point the savings from CA dissipated into the time she has spent on it.

Atlassian (JIRA Service Desk) offers free community licenses. Non-profits fall into the community license umbrella. Check it out:

https://www.atlassian.com/software/views/community-license-request

I just bought a 15-user license of JIRA Service Desk for similar reasons as yours - as I understand it, it's pretty customizable out of the box, has great reporting built-in, and user-side interface is very friendly. You'll probably want Confluence for an integrated knowledge base, and HipChat for inter-team communication on issues.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
A weird issue came in...

Background: we run a Xendesktop 7.6, Win 7 Pro virtual desktop environment on Wyse thin clients for our users. It is heavily locked-down - users can't use the Run option, can't navigate via Explorer, and important for purposes of this conversation, we have two different scripts that occur:

A) Computer policy has the UpdatePS.bat script running at startup, which first deletes the contents of C:\Redirected, then copies the contents of \\fileserver\usergroupA, \usergroupB, etc. to C:\Redirected\UsergroupA, \usergroupB, etc.

B) User policy script which executes \\domain\netlogon\drivesandprinters.ps1 which maps out network folders and printers based on AD group membership

C) User policy which redirects the Start menu shortcuts to those in C:\Redirected\usergroupA based on AD group membership correlating to the folders copied in step A above

To recap, I gave my notice on Monday and my company is keeping me on for the two weeks.

In an attempt to dig up any unknown dependencies, my boss asked me to make a temporary domain admin account and to disable mine for a day or two.

When my original domain admin account, mjpadmin, is disabled, the part of item A above which copies from the file server to C:\redirected fails to do anything. All other steps work fine, including drivesandprinters.ps1 in item B. The end result is the users' Start menu is completely empty. Since this is how they do anything, it leaves them unable to launch programs.

If I re-enable mjpadmin and reboot the virtual desktop, it executes just fine. I can reproduce the issue by disabling mjpadmin and rebooting the desktop and logging back on.

I copied updateps.bat to the home folder for my test user, which is a normal non-domain admin user set up like a member of usergroupA in AD. If I run updateps.bat manually it copies the files and folders without any issue.

The worst-case scenario might be that they keep my domain admin account active with an incredibly complex password once I leave, but given that I like my boss, and that I'm genuinely curious, I'd like to see if there's a way to resolve this so they can lock me down when I'm gone.

Any advice on what I should be trying?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

An explosion came in:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/explosion-la-building-injures-sends-hospital-33221043

One of the affected buildings is the one where most of our core systems are. Our particular building does have power, but our TW Telecomm internet circuit there is down. Entire enterprise is without email, Deltek (accounting), and Citrix access.

We usually work a half-day on Fridays but it looks like it ain't in the cards today.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MJP posted:

A weird issue came in...

Background: we run a Xendesktop 7.6, Win 7 Pro virtual desktop environment on Wyse thin clients for our users. It is heavily locked-down - users can't use the Run option, can't navigate via Explorer, and important for purposes of this conversation, we have two different scripts that occur:

A) Computer policy has the UpdatePS.bat script running at startup, which first deletes the contents of C:\Redirected, then copies the contents of \\fileserver\usergroupA, \usergroupB, etc. to C:\Redirected\UsergroupA, \usergroupB, etc.

B) User policy script which executes \\domain\netlogon\drivesandprinters.ps1 which maps out network folders and printers based on AD group membership

C) User policy which redirects the Start menu shortcuts to those in C:\Redirected\usergroupA based on AD group membership correlating to the folders copied in step A above

To recap, I gave my notice on Monday and my company is keeping me on for the two weeks.

In an attempt to dig up any unknown dependencies, my boss asked me to make a temporary domain admin account and to disable mine for a day or two.

When my original domain admin account, mjpadmin, is disabled, the part of item A above which copies from the file server to C:\redirected fails to do anything. All other steps work fine, including drivesandprinters.ps1 in item B. The end result is the users' Start menu is completely empty. Since this is how they do anything, it leaves them unable to launch programs.

If I re-enable mjpadmin and reboot the virtual desktop, it executes just fine. I can reproduce the issue by disabling mjpadmin and rebooting the desktop and logging back on.

I copied updateps.bat to the home folder for my test user, which is a normal non-domain admin user set up like a member of usergroupA in AD. If I run updateps.bat manually it copies the files and folders without any issue.

The worst-case scenario might be that they keep my domain admin account active with an incredibly complex password once I leave, but given that I like my boss, and that I'm genuinely curious, I'd like to see if there's a way to resolve this so they can lock me down when I'm gone.

Any advice on what I should be trying?

Are you running these scripts by creating Task Scheduler entries? What user are they set to run as?

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Thanks Ants posted:

Are you running these scripts by creating Task Scheduler entries? What user are they set to run as?

What I was going to say, sounds like its tied to your credentials. Or the scripts themselves are set to use commands using your credentials to copy from the fileserver.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

These scripts run from GPOs.

Item A runs from Computer Configuration -> Policies -> Windows Settings -> Scripts -> Startup.
Item B runs from User Configuration -> Policies -> Windows Settings -> Scripts -> Logon.
Item C runs from User Configuration -> Policies -> Windows Settings -> Folder Redirection -> Start Menu.

Alighieri posted:

What I was going to say, sounds like its tied to your credentials. Or the scripts themselves are set to use commands using your credentials to copy from the fileserver.

Of the script which has the failing part, none of the copy commands involve credentials. They are all just individual xcopy lines to copy from our file server (the folders have NTFS perms that allow List Folder Contents/Read/Execute and share perms for Everyone to have Full Control).

As far as I can tell there isn't an option I'm familiar with in Group Policy Management to force a GPO to execute under specific credentials, but please do correct if I'm wrong.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Just to confirm, the shares are accessible and you can manually copy the files by running the script with regular user account while your mjpadmin account is disabled? The copy only fails when run via GPO with that account disabled?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Just to confirm, the shares are accessible and you can manually copy the files by running the script with regular user account while your mjpadmin account is disabled? The copy only fails when run via GPO with that account disabled?

Confirmed. If I manually run the script by double-clicking a copy of it in the home folder of the test account it works just fine with mjpadmin disabled.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Whoops, a gently caress up came in:
(From me)

Of course I did the cardinal sin of maintenance after hours on a Friday , but anyway.

Since we have a new server it's only this week the rails finally came in for delivery, so I waited until everyone finished and left to power down VMs and shutdown the server and router. The intention was to rack it, and reconnect things to our new UPS so we have some protection, so I get everything reconnected and power everything back up and there's a problem right off the bat; one of the VMs isn't turning on.

Our MSP after hours isn't answering and I'm in a mad google-fu scramble (I've played with virtual box, but this is my first foray into Hyper-V, woo!) I eventually narrow the error code down to something hard disk related, completely baffled I look at the external plugged into the front and notice the light isn't on, plug it into the adjacent USB port and it comes back on. Restart the host just to see what's going on and the VM comes alive, it just about works although there is some kind of connection problem, but I think at least E-mail works.

Either way I left a message for our MSP to fix it in the morning and I peaced out. :ohdear:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

MJP posted:

Confirmed. If I manually run the script by double-clicking a copy of it in the home folder of the test account it works just fine with mjpadmin disabled.

I would try recreating both the script and GPO from the tempadmin account, see if disabling the mjpadmin or tempadmin accounts makes any difference. It might help rule some things out at least.

Also, is the script signed by a cert tied to your user account?

e: Why were you testing a copy of the script instead of just manually running the one sitting in sysvol?

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 21, 2015

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I would try recreating both the script and GPO from the tempadmin account, see if disabling the mjpadmin or tempadmin accounts makes any difference. It might help rule some things out at least.

Also, is the script signed by a cert tied to your user account?

e: Why were you testing a copy of the script instead of just manually running the one sitting in sysvol?

Normal user accounts are heavily locked down by GPO. Run and Explorer access are completely disabled. Right-clicking won't work in anything but application contexts - right-click the desktop, taskbar, Start menu, Explorer windows, etc. and nothing will happen but Word, IE, Chrome, etc. will bring up their normal windows, etc. The only way I can run the script is by copying it to an accessible location from the user's My Computer view with their networked or home drive, and double-clicking it to run.

No certs are really in use within the domain. We have SSL offloaded to our Netscaler appliance for load balancing but this is all purely internal, or even at the VMware console level.

I'll try the recreate on Monday - my boss is leaving for Shabbat observance and that means our no-more-changes window is on, in case poo poo goes south and he's inaccessible.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
A ticket came in from a sister SaaS company support rep.

"CPU is again experiencing extremely high levels, this time it it seems like 'System Idle Process' is taking up most of it. Can you please look into this"

I don't even.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

"CPU is again experiencing extremely high levels, this time it it seems like 'System Idle Process' is taking up most of it. Can you please look into this"

I don't even.

I refuse to believe this.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

I don't even.

Look you just figure out how to make the CPU allocation not add up to 100%. I don't care what you have to do but fix it. While you're at it, my car has these weird wheels on it, the ratio of their circumference to their diameter is 3 and then some other numbers, it should be exactly 3, please fix this ASAP I cannot drive a car with badly designed wheels.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

I don't even.

Screenshot please!

OwlFancier posted:

Look you just figure out how to make the CPU allocation not add up to 100%. I don't care what you have to do but fix it. While you're at it, my car has these weird wheels on it, the ratio of their circumference to their diameter is 3 and then some other numbers, it should be exactly 3, please fix this ASAP I cannot drive a car with badly designed wheels.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Super Slash posted:

Whoops, a gently caress up came in:
(From me)

Of course I did the cardinal sin of maintenance after hours on a Friday , but anyway.

Since we have a new server it's only this week the rails finally came in for delivery, so I waited until everyone finished and left to power down VMs and shutdown the server and router. The intention was to rack it, and reconnect things to our new UPS so we have some protection, so I get everything reconnected and power everything back up and there's a problem right off the bat; one of the VMs isn't turning on.

Our MSP after hours isn't answering and I'm in a mad google-fu scramble (I've played with virtual box, but this is my first foray into Hyper-V, woo!) I eventually narrow the error code down to something hard disk related, completely baffled I look at the external plugged into the front and notice the light isn't on, plug it into the adjacent USB port and it comes back on. Restart the host just to see what's going on and the VM comes alive, it just about works although there is some kind of connection problem, but I think at least E-mail works.

Either way I left a message for our MSP to fix it in the morning and I peaced out. :ohdear:

Wait, why the gently caress are VMs being stored on a USB drive?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Hey, look what I found on our public drive!

Although this was from last year and I'm sure these were just copied onto the share drive and not placed there by cryptowall.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Screenshot please!

Im going to need to get out my redacting tape cause I have it printed out and it contains identifying information I'll have it done up by tonight.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

nexxai posted:

Seconding this. :psyduck:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

nexxai posted:

Thirding(?) this. It is a good idea to do this exactly never.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Aunt Beth posted:

Seconding this. :psyduck:

In case of a fire, so someone can run into the server room and yank it out. It's our only copy and we have no backup policy.

Edit: also does Hyper-V forward the USB port itself and not a specific device-id? That could be the cause of the error if it's that dumb.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Alighieri posted:

In case of a fire, so someone can run into the server room and yank it out. It's our only copy and we have no backup policy.

Edit: also does Hyper-V forward the USB port itself and not a specific device-id? That could be the cause of the error if it's that dumb.

Hyper-V and USB forwarding is something I have had issues with in the past. The only way I could get external drives reading on Hyper-V hosts properly was to insert the drive then mount it to the VM like you would any vhd. The fancy option Microsoft gives for this functionality has never worked for me.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
(Wrong thread)

Malek fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

nexxai posted:

Eh, it could be valid for a USB 3.0 drive.

• Locked thread