Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer
The first 20 levels are like hey this is a cool thing they did here, and then the rest is just on repeat and full of bugs no one cares about. It's a bad game, but if you like to play dress up and poo poo it's alright I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

lalaland posted:

yeah he's obviously not as cool as the rest of us

feel the icy sting of truth, jerks

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Bust Rodd posted:

Awesome, thank you.

I like being able to level by myself and I like having non-raid things to do at Endgame.

I like Mounts and Cool Spell effects and neat looking enemies to smash.

I don't care about PvP at all.

Once i ferret out a beta-code (I suspect they'll give some away at their talk today around 1PM) I'll see what my impressions are.

I'm not really interested in other MMO's because I like cartoony graphics and aliens, and I don't really see any others jumping out at me with the right aesthetic balance that WS seems to have in spades.

Go to wildstar-online.com and just sign up for beta. They're passing them out pretty quickly; I signed up and got it within a couple of days. It's a 'closed' beta but I'm betting it's not THAT closed.

If you've ever played an action MMO before then you should know what you're in for; enemies will wind up to telegraph an attack and you have to get out of the way, and as the game progresses the NPCs telegraph more and more, but at the start they still just auto-hit you. Spell effects are pretty bland and I'm giving them the benefit of a doubt and assuming it's by design, since WoW level spell effects would get in the way of the telegraphs a bit.

The game is your normal MMO treadmill, though. Go here, collect X bear asses, kill a specific guy, kill Y of these guys, come back and get pants and some money. Repeat. There's a story there but it's not the most gripping thing in the world and a lot of it is fairly difficult to read since it's in tiny little chat bubbles floating over people's heads.

There's three melee classes, three ranged classes, three tanks, and three healers; basically every single one of the six classes can either tank or heal. There's no pure DPS classes, but they can all beat poo poo up. There's a lot of archaic stats, and the AMP system has not changed and is still a bit 'what the gently caress' but in beta so far I haven't seen much lag, but I also haven't seen very many players.

I'd say give the game a try. I'm enjoying it when I get to play it.

Pierson posted:

Up there I'd say only Engineer and Stalker look any good at all, the rest are bad with no unifying theme (why does the warrior set have a kabuki mask, why do the Stalker shoulders look so huge for a stealth class and why is the idea for spellslinger some kind of cowboy?). Also with the exception of the engineer and mmmmaybe the Medic set, if you said that Wildstar was a fantasy game there would be nothing there to contradict it.

The engineer is okay but I don't like the solid yellow. The warrior's mask I think is supposed to be a skull, not kabuki, and spellslinger is supposed to be a cowboy I guess because he dual-wields magic revolvers and the game is trying to evoke the whole 'literal space frontier' feeling; a lot of the music, at least in some of the Exile zones, sound like they'd have been used in an episode of Firefly.

Still that is the ugliest loving cowboy getup and I think it's hurt by the whole face mask rebreather thing they got going on with the rest of the costume. It's like they're trying to say, 'it's dangerous on Nexus and you might not be able to breathe, but make sure to show off that flabby gut.'

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 20, 2015

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

Awesome, thank you.

I like being able to level by myself and I like having non-raid things to do at Endgame.

Once i ferret out a beta-code (I suspect they'll give some away at their talk today around 1PM) I'll see what my impressions are.

I'm not really interested in other MMO's because I like cartoony graphics and aliens, and I don't really see any others jumping out at me with the right aesthetic balance that WS seems to have in spades.

The art direction of Wildstar is not easily found in other MMOs or least not in the ones that I have tried or seen screenshots/videos for. That alone eliminates most MMOs on the market for you, but that is not all. Aliens and sci-fi focused MMOs in general are also less common than fantasy. So with that in mind, I am going to recommend either Guild Wars 2 or Final Fantasy XIV if WS doesn't do it for you and I honestly do not think that it will. These other choices may not be a perfect fit for you either but I don't think that anything will be and these are both a lot of fun. However, know that I am not a FF XIV expert by any means. It has been a long time since I played that game, but I do know that it gets a fair amount of praise these days. You will have to post in the official thread to learn more about end game content though because I cannot help you there.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Haha holy poo poo. Never have a game and a player deserved each other so much. Shine on you crazy loving diamond.

Some of these f2p setup doesn't sound too bad, it's just that after that, it's still Wildstar with its player-hostile devs, bullshit gamebreaks, and lack of any QoL features from the last 7 years of MMOs. Wildstar, in theory, had the potential to be good. The setting was interesting, the combat really isn't awful, and housing was brilliant. But then the devs have undermined players at every turn. Terrible decisions compound ed by even more terrible decisions. Hell, just look at the Stat revamp to learn everything you need to know about how competent the devs are.

F2p is just lipstick on the pig.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Bust Rodd posted:

Awesome, thank you.

You should go ahead and just buy the maximum amount of subscribed time, this game is definitely for you.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Saxophone posted:

Haha holy poo poo. Never have a game and a player deserved each other so much. Shine on you crazy loving diamond.

Some of these f2p setup doesn't sound too bad, it's just that after that, it's still Wildstar with its player-hostile devs, bullshit gamebreaks, and lack of any QoL features from the last 7 years of MMOs. Wildstar, in theory, had the potential to be good. The setting was interesting, the combat really isn't awful, and housing was brilliant. But then the devs have undermined players at every turn. Terrible decisions compound ed by even more terrible decisions. Hell, just look at the Stat revamp to learn everything you need to know about how competent the devs are.

F2p is just lipstick on the pig.

I dunno if I mentioned it but they are at least making some strides forward in doing quality of life poo poo. Whether it'll make the game really worth playing for people who have already left it remains to be seen, since it's mostly poo poo for NEW people and not really returning players.

They've made sprint always on with no meter, so you're always moving at maximum speed unless you get in combat, and it also applies to mounts so huzzah and hooray. You still have the recharge on your dodge roll and it's the only time the stamina bar comes up unless you're sprinting in combat. They've added SWTOR style fast travel where you can teleport to places rather than taking the long, annoying cabs. And I think leveling in general has been smoothed out; I think I hit 10 quicker and easier than I have in the past, and considering I got to about 25 before my free sub ran out, it's still kinda fresh in my mind.

Of course none of that is really that big of a deal to people at max level since I dunno how any of that poo poo has changed or is changing, but right now there's only, what, two raids? But from what I hear they're getting toned down IMMENSELY; one of the patch notes was the removal/reduction of interrupt armor on trash mobs in instanced content. They've added another low level dungeon, though, and they've spread out the levels and difficulties of dungeons a bit more so it's a more steady, level dispersion, but I never got up to a level to try any of those so who knows. v:shobon:v

When I get up to the new poo poo I'll see how it is. I'm trying out a stalker and I wanna see how they tank, and I may make a medic. I did like how spellslingers heal, and how the healing in general works with it not being targeted heals that you fire off and take a nap; last thing I did in WoW was level a paladin healer so it was a nice change of pace to have to be expected to move around to heal.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

As much as the game (deservedly) gets poo poo on, I'm not going to pretend that I didn't see the potential in the game. A lot of us were suckered into buying it, after all, so I think the game had some merits. The art style was fine (but horribly optimized graphics), the music was great, and while the presentation was initially charming and then irritating by cap, I think that's stuff they could have worked on while feeling themselves out. And housing was, surprisingly, a feature that lived up to the hype.

But the rest of the game's design is putrid, the game was riddled with bugs, and their first patch was filled with some of the most backwards ideas (a daily hub where you can only grind rep by doing like three group activities :psyduck:). THAT'S the kind of stuff I don't think f2p can fix. The whole "elder game" is just a bunch of outdated idea done rather poorly.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

The lack of QoL features bugged me a lot when I last played this game and it will probably continue to bug me when I try it again. I have a pretty low tolerance for that sort of thing in my MMOs these days.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Xavier434 posted:

The lack of QoL features bugged me a lot when I last played this game and it will probably continue to bug me when I try it again. I have a pretty low tolerance for that sort of thing in my MMOs these days.
I understand (over year to add a Sell Junk button :v:) but at least they had the foresight to have mods from day one.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Rorus Raz posted:

I understand (over year to add a Sell Junk button :v:) but at least they had the foresight to have mods from day one.

And some of the native UI elements were in the mod list and frequently crashed :jerry:

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe

Rorus Raz posted:

That button was in early beta and was removed by insane assholes who then designed the end-game.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Bust Rodd posted:

I know you are but what am I.

Stop posting yourself, stop posting yourself, stop posting yourself

<Wedgies>
*Flush*

Somethingawful, summed up in one post. I applaud you, goon sir.

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.
Did someone just come into the wildstar mock thread, ask for 100% serious advise about how to buy and play the game, then get mad when people called him a cupcake?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Better yet he praised it for the art style just a hand full of posts after people discussed the ugliest pieces of equipment ever devised by man, moose, or sapient lobster like creatures.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I don't get mad at vibeo games... I get even!

Is there a real wildstar thread or is this chode corral the only game in town?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Do you think this thread is down on the game because it's some kind of conspiracy to ruin Carbine? There's a reason it's making literally no money for NCSoft.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It wouldn't be the first time there were multiple threads. Skyrim and Diablo each had like 6-7 threads apiece. I was just curious about the game and don't use reddit (and I like everyone's silly avatars)

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
No, this is the only thread, because Wildstar is a terrible game.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I maintain that no game and person have deserved each other more. Seriously, he even said chode earlier! So extreme, dude. Go play this game, cupcake. Ignore the 97 pages of hate. This actually the best game on the area and totally not all the things you said you hated about other MMOs. We have have been singlehandedly badmouthing this game for no actual reason and you saw right through our clever facade.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

I don't get mad at vibeo games... I get even!

Is there a real wildstar thread or is this chode corral the only game in town?

Please just rename this thread to Wildstar: chode corral

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Bust Rodd posted:

It wouldn't be the first time there were multiple threads. Skyrim and Diablo each had like 6-7 threads apiece. I was just curious about the game and don't use reddit (and I like everyone's silly avatars)

Your wacky form of trolling worked bruh, go take a victory lap.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Even is Wildstar does fix everything that's wrong with it I doubt they'll ever have a big enough team to put out new content at the rate people want from MMOs.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Xavier434 posted:

The art direction of Wildstar is not easily found in other MMOs or least not in the ones that I have tried or seen screenshots/videos for. That alone eliminates most MMOs on the market for you, but that is not all. Aliens and sci-fi focused MMOs in general are also less common than fantasy. So with that in mind, I am going to recommend either Guild Wars 2 or Final Fantasy XIV if WS doesn't do it for you and I honestly do not think that it will. These other choices may not be a perfect fit for you either but I don't think that anything will be and these are both a lot of fun. However, know that I am not a FF XIV expert by any means. It has been a long time since I played that game, but I do know that it gets a fair amount of praise these days. You will have to post in the official thread to learn more about end game content though because I cannot help you there.

Problem is despite being Sci-Fi you spend 90% of your time in Fantasy farms/jungle/desert/snow there are like 2 cools sci-fi zones total.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
"Welcome to the chode corral, cupcake!"

*wedgie*

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

Problem is despite being Sci-Fi you spend 90% of your time in Fantasy farms/jungle/desert/snow there are like 2 cools sci-fi zones total.
Yeah. There's a lot hosed up with Wildstar, but it takes what could be a fun premise and then shits all over it with the most bland banal fantasy MMO tropes. Aside from the occasional techy-looking area you basically wind up doing fetch quests in generic terrain for whatever wacky fantasy race you bump into. I mean literally the first non-tutorial zone for Dominion has you run into a town of not-Arakkoa summoning literal elementals and for gently caress's sake this is literally stuff you could copy-paste directly into Burning Crusade and nobody would notice. It's just lazy as gently caress and I can't imagine how they expected people to give a gently caress about the world or the lore or anything when the designers clearly didn't. :effort:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Some consistency in the tone of a dominion character would have been nice. Are you regretfully pushed into hurting people.for the greater good they don't understand, a total rear end in a top hat that enjoys inflicting pain, or doing what needs to be done because the rebels are even more vicious? With Wildstar it's all three depending on what meds the designer was on that day!

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

SumYungGui posted:

Some consistency in the tone of a dominion character would have been nice. Are you regretfully pushed into hurting people.for the greater good they don't understand, a total rear end in a top hat that enjoys inflicting pain, or doing what needs to be done because the rebels are even more vicious? With Wildstar it's all three depending on what meds the designer was on that day!

So you're telling me the Dominion are a race of Janeways. That explains so much yet so little.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah the only MMO with multiple threads is WoW and maybe games with an active emulation community. Skyrim and Diablo had that many because they have multiple ways to play, build, mods, etc. Big difference.

Wildstar is just Wildstar. It's an overhyped MMO that believed it'd be a WoW killer when it was just 'alright,' and has done a lot of bad poo poo with the community and its end game. It doesn't distinguish itself too well from its competitors beyond its horror stories, and besides the aesthetics, you could get similar gameplay from The Secret World, TERA, and probably a few other free action MMOs out there. Wildstar only deserves one thread, and really not as large of one as it has. If it were a better game with better support and developers that hadn't been stuck in the early 2000's due to their love of old game design, and had better community management to keep the devs from actually, you know, interacting with the players? Then yeah, this would have probably have had only like.. 40 pages.

But it is what it is. I got the game through Humble Bundle, had previously been unimpressed on a friend invite back last year, and came to the thread to see how the game was. The very hate for it made me want to try it and see how bad it really was. So do the same; sign up for the beta, and roll with it. It's really just a medicore action MMO with devs that are too tied up with their vision to make it more player-friendly at the end game.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Anoia posted:

You should go ahead and just buy the maximum amount of subscribed time, this game is definitely for you.

:getin:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

The Moon Monster posted:

Even is Wildstar does fix everything that's wrong with it I doubt they'll ever have a big enough team to put out new content at the rate people want from MMOs.

Sometimes I wonder if the "make game - people play game - make expansion - people play expansion" model is just fatally flawed and you need something a bit more akin to Eve's "players run the world and friction and drama between their factions is what keeps the game alive between expansions" model if you're going to keep people playing the same game for years. Something like WoW was able to do it due to being a runaway success, but it was still a problem for them and their country-sized budget.

Eve's territorial control in an MMO where you control a character rather than a ship, I mean.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Bust Rodd posted:

FFXIV is the second-biggest goon MMO and it has a single thread, Wildstar just sucks immensely

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

Gort posted:

Sometimes I wonder if the "make game - people play game - make expansion - people play expansion" model is just fatally flawed and you need something a bit more akin to Eve's "players run the world and friction and drama between their factions is what keeps the game alive between expansions" model if you're going to keep people playing the same game for years. Something like WoW was able to do it due to being a runaway success, but it was still a problem for them and their country-sized budget.

Eve's territorial control in an MMO where you control a character rather than a ship, I mean.

It's really easy to make a huge game world if that world is just space like in Eve though. You can model some nice celestial objects and stations, make some pretty skyboxes and then have everything else as just massive and empty.

To make a conventional character MMO work like that you would need an insanely massive scale that is not seen outside of procedurally generated landscapes. Eve works because it is huge and on a single server so you can have 40-50000 fuckers all dog piling on one another if they want to. And even then, applied to an MMO like wow I'm pretty sure people would be very frustrated that it took ~30 seconds for their characters to swing a sword during big fights.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ugh, I tried to buy a lifetime sub so I can start grinding rep for space cupcake recipes but it's moving to F2P. I guess I'll just have to buy as many house plants and hats for my dude as possible.

Saxophone, you strike me as a goon of good humors. Would you care for to escort me on my WILDSTARS ESCASPACECAPADES?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Ocrassus posted:

It's really easy to make a huge game world if that world is just space like in Eve though. You can model some nice celestial objects and stations, make some pretty skyboxes and then have everything else as just massive and empty.

To make a conventional character MMO work like that you would need an insanely massive scale that is not seen outside of procedurally generated landscapes. Eve works because it is huge and on a single server so you can have 40-50000 fuckers all dog piling on one another if they want to. And even then, applied to an MMO like wow I'm pretty sure people would be very frustrated that it took ~30 seconds for their characters to swing a sword during big fights.

Announcer for the FIRST WOW ARENA COMBAT here!

HE IS ORBITING HIS OPPONENT AT 5 YARDS!

THE GLOBAL COOLDOWN OF 30 SECOND IS ALMOST UP!

HE SWINGS AND CRITS HIT TARGET FOR 7 DAMAGE! WHAT A DAY!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

Reddit produces some good stuff occasionally.

(and template for shopping)

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The Moon Monster posted:

there are no MMOs with a team big enough to put out new content at the rate people want from MMOs

even WoW cant do that

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

Ugh, I tried to buy a lifetime sub so I can start grinding rep for space cupcake recipes but it's moving to F2P. I guess I'll just have to buy as many house plants and hats for my dude as possible.

Saxophone, you strike me as a goon of good humors. Would you care for to escort me on my WILDSTARS ESCASPACECAPADES?

Instead of spending money on wildstar just send it to me so I can buy a Wii U

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.

Kelp Plankton posted:

there are no MMOs with a team big enough to put out new content at the rate people want from MMOs

even WoW cant do that

Don't say that too loudly, you'll draw people from the FFXIV thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

You deserve vanilla wildstar raid attunement.

• Locked thread