Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Yaws posted:

Could someone explain what the gently caress was going on in Naked Lunch? I just watched it and I'm lost. Admittedly I'm horrible at reading films but this one seemed so obtuse and dense I just nothing out of it.

Heroin use, and a lot of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Naked Lunch as a movie is about William S. Burroughs writing the novel Queer while in Mexico, using Naked Lunch as a filter. Burroughs has admitted he wouldn't have become a great writer if he hadn't killed his wife, which happened the same way it does in the movie - accidentally shooting her while doing a William Tell routine with a handgun. He was convicted in absentia of that homicide, and the reports that Lee is writing in Interzone during the picture are a thin metaphor of him awaiting trial in Mexico City and writing Queer, checking in weekly to keep himself from being imprisoned while his lawyer bribed and cajoled any and every person he could to keep Burroughs out of jail. Him going to Annexia is him skipping out on his trial and returning to the US.

It's a biopic using the fictional narrative (of what narrative there is in Naked Lunch) of an author's most famous book as the lens through which the seminal events of his life - in this case the murder of his wife and a time when he was in between imprisonment and total freedom - are focused on.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The Cameo posted:

Naked Lunch as a movie is about William S. Burroughs writing the novel Queer while in Mexico, using Naked Lunch as a filter. Burroughs has admitted he wouldn't have become a great writer if he hadn't killed his wife, which happened the same way it does in the movie - accidentally shooting her while doing a William Tell routine with a handgun. He was convicted in absentia of that homicide, and the reports that Lee is writing in Interzone during the picture are a thin metaphor of him awaiting trial in Mexico City and writing Queer, checking in weekly to keep himself from being imprisoned while his lawyer bribed and cajoled any and every person he could to keep Burroughs out of jail. Him going to Annexia is him skipping out on his trial and returning to the US.

It's a biopic using the fictional narrative (of what narrative there is in Naked Lunch) of an author's most famous book as the lens through which the seminal events of his life - in this case the murder of his wife and a time when he was in between imprisonment and total freedom - are focused on.

The book was markedly different though. It wasn't all Cronebergian for one.

There was a scene where he explained how he'd saved a little bit of heroin every time he shot up by squirting it on his jeans. That way when he inevitably got locked up he could scrape that residue and cut a vein open to dodge some withdrawals.

Now that I think about it the book and movie have very little in common.

Also it's amazing that he lived to be 80 or 90.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Well yeah, because if you tried to make an actual adaptation of Naked Lunch it wouldn't cohere into anything that would be fulfilling as a film, in either an experimental sense or a traditional narrative sense. So Cronenberg went with inserting aspects of Burroughs' other writings into settings in Naked Lunch, basically filling in enough gaps for there to be something that is a narrative backbone, and then figured that making the whole thing into a quasi-biopic, given the outlandishly weird life Burroughs led, fit into this new narrative that he had managed to cobble together.

Burroughs didn't have a problem with it; he admitted when Cronenberg came on that the book as it was wouldn't work well as a movie (despite having tried before to get it to happen) and that he should go off and do what he thinks Naked Lunch is.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I'm not criticizing the book or the movie. Both are great.

And loving strange.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
It gave us a good Simpsons gag too

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Yaws posted:

Could someone explain what the gently caress was going on in Naked Lunch? I just watched it and I'm lost. Admittedly I'm horrible at reading films but this one seemed so obtuse and dense I just nothing out of it.

It had two insect typewriters loving, what more do you want from a film?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I've just watched the trailer for the new Matt Damon flick The Martian. When did it become commonplace for trailers to give away the entire story from start to finish? It seemed like the trailer was just a super-condensed version of the film for people with attention spans of 2 minutes 35.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

88h88 posted:

I've just watched the trailer for the new Matt Damon flick The Martian. When did it become commonplace for trailers to give away the entire story from start to finish? It seemed like the trailer was just a super-condensed version of the film for people with attention spans of 2 minutes 35.
It predates trailers. Very early films were often advertised with a scene by scene description.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

88h88 posted:

Always. Like literally always:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bBay_1dKK8

The only people who didn't were weirdos like Hitchcock who did something even stranger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTJQfFQ40lI

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
And old trailers used to be longer, like 4-5 minutes long. They went out of their way to give the whole drat movie away.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I've been watching the 42nd Street Forever series recently and older trailers are pretty amazing. Full of spoilers, ~5 minutes long and basically goes over the movie beat-by-beat.

They still made me want to see the hell out of a bunch of those movies though.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The Graduate trailer is my favourite spoilery trailer, it even includes the ending scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxJDOkr_UhE

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

LesterGroans posted:

I've been watching the 42nd Street Forever series recently and older trailers are pretty amazing. Full of spoilers, ~5 minutes long and basically goes over the movie beat-by-beat.

They still made me want to see the hell out of a bunch of those movies though.

The interesting thing about the new Man from UNCLE film is that they released a trailer pretty much exactly like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_Ky4KPzKwY

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
What's with Denis Villeneuve and cars? Most of his films seem to involve a car crashing or some meaningful action involving a car, like being trapped under one.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

88h88 posted:

I mean, yes and no. If by "entire story" you mean most of the important plot beats, then yes, this is as old as dirt. Like ever since Cave Man Bob's little cave kid asked them to tell the story about the time they fought a sabertooth.

I would say most people watch stories to see the journey. Name a genre where viewers don't know the destination. If "knowing the ending" ruins a story, it's not a very good story. Spoiler Alert: the ending to almost every mainstream film is that some good guy wins and life isn't horribly depressing. Like does the trailer for Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation give away the fact that Tom Cruises's character survives being stuck outside the door on the airplane? Like is there a single person who went to see that movie that thought "Omg I wonder if Tom Cruise just loving dies because Simon Pegg can't open the door in time!?".

I mean, I used to feel that trailers gave away too much, and sometimes I still do, but since I've seen so many movies, now I think about trailers differently. Now I treat trailers as a chance for a movie to tell me what kind of story it's telling and then sell me on how well it's gonna tell it. Like I've seen enough "good stories" told badly, that the plot of the film is the least of my concerns. Even trailers that "give away everything" lack the context to reveal the actual important character moments. Unless the movie is bad. If scene in a trailer takes away all the emotional weight that's built up to that scene in film, then trailer is basically a better film.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Honest Thief posted:

What's with Denis Villeneuve and cars? Most of his films seem to involve a car crashing or some meaningful action involving a car, like being trapped under one.

I read an interview with him once. Apparently he had a formative sexual experience with a woman in a cinema when he was watching Cronenberg's Crash. I don't know if he explicitly linked that to any themes in his films though.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

therattle posted:

I read an interview with him once. Apparently he had a formative sexual experience with a woman in a cinema when he was watching Cronenberg's Crash. I don't know if he explicitly linked that to any themes in his films though.
That certainly does clear up some things. Heck, it actually makes a lot of sense in some cases like in polytechnique.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

therattle posted:

This on its own nearly entirely explains both Maelstrom and Un 32 Août Sur Terre.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Aug 21, 2015

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
There's always been a little Ballard in his films so that makes perfect sense in a crass sort of way.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
It would make even more sense if I hadn't invented it. Sorry.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

therattle posted:

:golfclap: Well done.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

therattle posted:

Evil.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

therattle posted:

You were just thinking of Salt Cures Ham

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

therattle posted:

Well done

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
I dont get it

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Skwirl posted:

You were just thinking of Salt Cures Ham

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

After reading SubG's The Night of the Hunter post last week I finally got around to rewatching the movie last night.

Does anyone have links to any good resources re: the movie? Blog posts and whatnot. wanted to read more takes on it/discussion about it like that post.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Watching Scarface for the millionth time on IFC and I never noticed this before but is the same chick who's in bed with Manny when Tony calls him to get Lopez the same one who slapped him when he did the tongue thing earlier? They kind of look/sound the same but then again that's probably the point that these random blondes are interchangeable.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer
Are there any sites for managing and rating the movies you've seen? I kind of want to take a systematic approach to watching old movies, and I could really use a way of organizing the effort.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Barracuda Bang! posted:

Are there any sites for managing and rating the movies you've seen? I kind of want to take a systematic approach to watching old movies, and I could really use a way of organizing the effort.

Letterboxd and Criticker are the two most popular I think, it's mostly a matter of layout/feature preference but they both let you track, rate, and review films.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Barracuda Bang! posted:

Check out our Criticker thread!

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer
Criticker seems to be what I'm looking for. Thanks, goons!

Bolek
May 1, 2003

Why oh why do these websites have rankings out of a hundred. What kind of maniac goes "hmm yes, this is a 35"

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Bolek posted:

Why oh why do these websites have rankings out of a hundred. What kind of maniac goes "hmm yes, this is a 35"

I believe it adjusts based on how you rank. So you only have to rank from 1-10 if you want or, hell, 0-1.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Criticker has an amazingly versatile ranking system, and its recommendations are scarily good once you've ranked a fair amount of movies.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Bolek posted:

All the recommendation/comparison mechanics on Criticker go by tiers, so this just gives you the flexibility to use whatever number system you like and makes the most sense to you. Like, I use a letter grading system where C (75) is average, but some people will use a 1-10 number system. With the tier system the algorithm knows how to match up what we actually think about the same film.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Bolek posted:

To change your Criticker rating scale go to your profile, scroll to the bottom, and click on "Manually control the colors & quips applied to your rankings with this tool."

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Also, I'm the kind of maniac who "feels" that a movie is a 35 or a 77.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Bolek posted:

When I first saw the 100 point scale I thought it was overkill but teachers do evaluate papers and school grades on that scale. Most people don't review films rigorously like they're grading a paper doling out specific penalties and infractions however.

I'd never use a numerical scale like that but I do like seeing what films people put at the extreme ends of their lists.