Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seekhay
Sep 11, 2001

College Slice
Killed 2 Omahas, a Phoenix and a South Carolina. Still lost. :pubbies:

Edit:

Perick posted:

Reapplied as Perick for hot seamn action.

Also, hot drat thanks for the advice on the Omaha and driving head on into battle, I love this ship now!

Welcome aboard thailor!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Iowa.txt

And I dont care. I will abuse this till the end of time because gently caress you HE.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

DurosKlav posted:

Iowa.txt

And I dont care. I will abuse this till the end of time because gently caress you HE.

This insane.
The way battleships are meant to battleship.
I want an Iowa.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Did you not watch Battleship, or at least that clip? That ship was obviously firing HE. HE kills aliens.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Just lost a battle with a Mogami in my Iowa at 6km and under because dispersion is ridiculous. 4 salvos aimed at the waterline right into his citadels and not a single god drat citadel. They all fly high and just over pen, 11 god drat hits.

I wish I could do a video of it or gif at least. I have the replay but I dont know how to do that poo poo.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 21, 2015

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Just upload the replay to dropbox or somewhere. It's a lot easier than making a video.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Tahirovic posted:

I feel it's not just the fires, HE base damage is too high compared to AP for cruisers too. HE is guaranteed damage while AP actually needs to penetrate, there should be more skill involved there.

There are many battleships that take negligible to zero damage from cruiser AP. If you take out the HE option cruisers are just useless against battleships. I don't think that could possibly make the game more fun, unless you give cruisers enough penetration to citadel hit battleships (which certainly won't happen, and if it did people in this thread would be complaining about dying to citadel hits from overpowered cruiser AP).
You probably weren't playing boats at the time, but they already tried a similar configuration in the first few weeks of CBT. It was not worth playing.

And incidentally, where you hit the enemy ship does matter even with HE. It's just less of a difference.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

grrarg posted:

Just upload the replay to dropbox or somewhere. It's a lot easier than making a video.

The replay.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mkn079osbwawen0/20150821_170031_PASB018-Iowa-1944_20_NE_two_brothers.wowsreplay?dl=0

Yes I know I was alone. That was not the reason I died though. I died because I had to spend far more time than I should have on a single ship because of how ridiculous dispersion is. He never would have gotten more than 1 torpedo salvo off if the game had not screwed me to hell and back. Hell I dont think he should have lived long enough for 1 torpedo salvo had I not gotten screwed.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 22, 2015

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour
that just happened to me in a kongo v kuma, except I at least managed to not die to the laziest torp drop ever as he limped into broadside by ramming his teammate in a loius (because the kuma was a shitlord dumping torps behind him) and making his wrecked hull eat the entire spread. :getin:

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

DurosKlav posted:

The replay.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mkn079osbwawen0/20150821_170031_PASB018-Iowa-1944_20_NE_two_brothers.wowsreplay?dl=0

Yes I know I was alone. That was not the reason I died though. I died because I had to spend far more time than I should have on a single ship because of how ridiculous dispersion is. He never would have gotten more than 1 torpedo salvo off if the game had not screwed me to hell and back. Hell I dont think he should have lived long enough for 1 torpedo salvo had I not gotten screwed.
That sucked, but I don't think you can blame it on dispersion. Your first salvo was fired like two seconds too soon as he started turning so hit too high. The second hit too low because he started angling away. After that you were not leading enough for that close range so your shots were landing aft of the citadel. And it didn't help that the carrier started making GBS threads on you too.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I'm sorry but I completely disagree. My shots were right on the money but dispersion spread them out everywhere but where I was aiming.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Hey wargaming, how about some x3 or x5 weekend events instead of a x2, which isn't much of a bonus given the regular is x1.5...

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
Nerf HE and welcome the glorious ramming meta!

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Hazdoc posted:

You're not getting hit by torps, and the DD is contributing absolutely nothing, so as far as anyone is concerned the DD is a nonfactor. Therefore, he is countered simply by your presence. He'd rather be hitting with his torps and actually doing damage. If he doesn't aim his torps at you, you'll likely detect them early and your BBs will be more than capable of getting safe before they arrive. And if a CV or friendly DD lights up the hostile, your laser accurate HE rounds will give that DD a very bad day. There is a reason why I bitch at my team in every game to focus down CAs... because if they're gone, I can make the battleships start to disappear.
If I sit there and do my "role" of countering DD's by twiddling my thumbs and waiting for them to gently caress up and get shot by me, I'm doing nothing. But just because I'm sitting there waiting to counter the DD doesn't mean his torps arnt doing anything. I was screening for an Iowa and an Amagi in my Ibuki earlier, knowing that an enemy Kagero was there. I spotted and dodges his torps, typed in chat and then watched as the Iowa drove into 4 of them. I didn't counter a loving thing. You counter something by stopping it from happening and I'm not really sure screening BB's is all that effective right now.

Hazdoc posted:

Ok, since my analogies don't seem to work, how about this?
Ships that follow the RPS model have a ship they don't want to see.

When I'm in a DD, I don't want to 1v1 a Cruiser, because he can track me and he's maneuverable enough to keep on me and dodge my torpedoes. His scout plane can foil my smoke screen if I try to retreat from him, and his reload time enables him to continue pouring damage on me, when a battleship would still be twiddling his thumbs. I'm only marginally faster than a CA, so running one down is difficult unless the CA lets me... in which case, he's probably about to show me a broadside full of HE. Long range torpedo strikes are difficult, as CAs are maneuverable enough to turn and avoid the torps, making the run a wash.
When I'm in a BB, I don't want to run into a DD without backup. The DD can easily conceal itself and make my big guns useless, as I can't shoot what I can't see. He can fire torpedoes from concealment, forcing me to duck and weave forever, unable to pursue an objective, while he can freely move around and do as he pleases. If there's cover nearby, he can sneak up on me from it, using his superior speed, and run me down. My guns dispersion, coupled with his high maneuver and small profile, make hitting him difficult, and his lack of a citadel means volleying him is difficult. My strong armor means nothing against a torpedo, and my slow rudder shift and wide ship size means that even if I react perfectly to them, I could still get hit by one or two. If the destroyer pops smoke, there's little I can do to stop him, as trying to approach him inside the smoke is suicidal, while shooting into it is even less likely to hit, and it would put my long reloading guns on cooldown too.
When I'm in a Cruiser... I should fear taking on battleships alone. The other two ship classes have boats they don't want to run into without help, why should the Cruiser be any different? It shouldn't, and that's my point.
Again, this is all super situational. No one is saying that DD's are not easier to hit in cruisers, but its also important to remember that ships and their roles change as the tiers go up. I can absoutely wreck low tier DDs with their poo poo 5km torps in my Kuma or Cleveland - that changes later on when everyone gets 10km+ torps.

Your comparison breaks down because this game is currently mega flawed. There are plenty of situations where the RSP nature of this game does not work at all. For example, situations where DD's and their torps are not all that scary. I'm not worried about that Kagero if my teams Midway perma parks a fighter on top of them. There is nothing funnier in my IJN BB's than realizing a DD is behind me and then just driving away from him while fighting other ships - he only has 8, maybe 10knts on me and it will be very, very hard for him to ever torp me. Again, tier issues come into play. I do fear facing an Iowa alone in my Ibuki because he can citadel me from literally any angle and I don't have my broken Mogami 155's anymore.

I'm not sure the game is really setup in a RSP model right now and I'm not sure forcing it to be more of one is the right call. If anything, I'd rather see more of a WoT model. TDs, heavies and mediums have differences in speed, armor, health, rate of fire, alpha, penetration, etc, but at the end of the day, the % difference tends to be a lot less than in WoWs.

cheese fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 22, 2015

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
I'm surprised at how much better I've gotten with the japanese DDs after playing through the first few US ones. I actually learned how to set up ambushes and to lurk a bit more.

And, oddly enough, I have a cruiser that has decent AA and I've only played against an enemy carrier once. Why this couldnt have happened when I didnt have AA I dont know :smith:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
The battleships that are competent enough to be worth screening aren't usually likely to be hit by long range torpedoes. I have no idea how you'd fix that, but torpedoes as largely a dedicated anti lovely player mechanism is kind of dumb.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Is the weekend bonus really x2 for our first win instead of x1.5? Haha holy poo poo Wargaming.

James Garfield posted:

The battleships that are competent enough to be worth screening aren't usually likely to be hit by long range torpedoes. I have no idea how you'd fix that, but torpedoes as largely a dedicated anti lovely player mechanism is kind of dumb.
I can't wait for XVM :allears:

cheese fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Aug 22, 2015

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

haha, i really like how good tip for playing DDs is to simply :lurkmore:

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

cheese posted:

Is the weekend bonus really x2 for our first win instead of x1.5? Haha holy poo poo Wargaming.

I can't wait for XVM :allears:
The drama and teamkilling will be hilarious. You can already send people into a frothing at the mouth rage by quoting their player stats from the website.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I already do it when I run into warbeasty. He has a 36.75 win % with 89% of his games played in a carrier. Also nearly sub 1000 xp average.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

grrarg posted:

The drama and teamkilling will be hilarious. You can already send people into a frothing at the mouth rage by quoting their player stats from the website.

I had a few games with this lovely fellow.
He also will NEVER shut up in chat.

EDIT:

DurosKlav posted:

I already do it when I run into warbeasty. He has a 36.75 win % with 89% of his games played in a carrier. Also nearly sub 1000 xp average.
You beat me because I kept thinking he had a vowel replaced by a number in there. It's gone down to 36.61% since you checked.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 22, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

wdarkk posted:

It's weird. I have roughly the same damage-per-battle but I get noticeably less EXP. Is it because I don't have premium/am still lower Tier?

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour

cheese posted:

WG are trying their best to condition tanks players to expect less right out the gate but so far for me XP means absolutely nothing even on a standard account whereas I'm constantly credit starved.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Trying to join SEAMN but it says it is unavailable until August 23 :confused:
My username ingame is Jerjare if anyone can sign me up.

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
So, are the XVM people actually working on a WoWS mod?

If not, they should get on it because it could be really useful for targetting/support purposes.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

UV_Catastrophe posted:

So, are the XVM people actually working on a WoWS mod?

If not, they should get on it because it could be really useful for targetting/support purposes.

I would love to have minimap overlays that show my AA and secondary range.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
The Life and Death of a DD, by me.

Sometimes its the best of times :woop:

:

Sometimes its the worst of times :gonk:

All you can do is try, try, try. :sureboat:

So, fake poetry aside, here's the replays the above came from, if anyone wants to see a bit of DD sneak & ambush going on:

http://www.mreboy.com/wot/20150821_155259_PASD027-Wickes-1918_13_OC_new_dawn.wowsreplay
http://www.mreboy.com/wot/20150821_160910_PASD027-Wickes-1918_17_NA_fault_line.wowsreplay

First round, I did my best to sneak around in the mid area islands before going after the Wyoming. As I went after the Kongo, I'm pretty sure he did spot me at some point - my captain was on transfer retrain at the time so 6th Sense wasn't working. Remember folks, straight lines = death.

Second round, I head towards C. I figured going down the E-W channel at C was suicide, so I duck around to avoid being spotted. Then the Ishizuchi gets spotted. Great, a fairly optimal target ! The last round finished my Capt retrain, so I do have 6th Sense going - not spotted !. Welp, I apparently was the one that got snuck up on - by the 3 other enemy team BBs and company. Being 3km from a Kongo is a bad thing. So I do a 180 and haul rear end out as best I can, dumping torpedoes left and right as I go. Managed to hit the Kongo twice and got the Ishizuchi for most of his HP before going down. I finished the round with 12 torpedo hits and completed 2 torpedo related dailies in 2 missions (these rounds were sequential) and the pubs went on to win.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Panfilo posted:

Trying to join SEAMN but it says it is unavailable until August 23 :confused:
My username ingame is Jerjare if anyone can sign me up.

Huh? I just added wdarkk just now in fact. Did you just leave a clan?

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 22, 2015

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

wdarkk posted:

I don't understand some people. That player went all the way up the tiers even though he does better (as in more damage per game) in his Zuiho than his tier 10.

Also you don't need to bring up stats to make people angry, half of them will get loving livid if you give them advice in a non-insulting way. I've received angry private messages after game for things like "when you show your broadside it makes your ship vulnerable to citadel hits, try pointing your Phoenix straight at the enemy and wiggling."

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

demonR6 posted:

Huh? I just added wdarkk just now in fact. Did you just leave a clan?

Yeah. The 'Apply' button is greyed out and it says "Clan actions are blocked until 8/23/15"

Panfilo fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Aug 22, 2015

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

James Garfield posted:

I don't understand some people. That player went all the way up the tiers even though he does better (as in more damage per game) in his Zuiho than his tier 10.

Also, this article claims that there's a way to launch torps individually by holding down the alt key. Really?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Panfilo posted:

Yeah. The 'Apply' button is greyed out and it says "Clan actions are blocked until 8/23/15"

Dunno man I just added another player not ten minutes ago. I sent you an invite, see what that does.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
Applied as mradebisi

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Added.. go forth and prosper young seaman.

And don't forget to join the Teamspeak server you loving savages.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !

demonR6 posted:

Dunno man I just added another player not ten minutes ago. I sent you an invite, see what that does.

Ahem.

https://na.wargaming.net/support/Knowledgebase/Article/View/219/18/why-cant-i-join-a-clan

Wargaming support posted:

A few reasons why you may not be able to join a clan.

Reason 1

If you have just left a clan or have been removed from a clan there will be a 24-72 hour cooldown on your account until you can be accepted into another clan.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

cheese posted:

If I sit there and do my "role" of countering DD's by twiddling my thumbs and waiting for them to gently caress up and get shot by me, I'm doing nothing. But just because I'm sitting there waiting to counter the DD doesn't mean his torps arnt doing anything. I was screening for an Iowa and an Amagi in my Ibuki earlier, knowing that an enemy Kagero was there. I spotted and dodges his torps, typed in chat and then watched as the Iowa drove into 4 of them. I didn't counter a loving thing. You counter something by stopping it from happening and I'm not really sure screening BB's is all that effective right now.

Again, this is all super situational. No one is saying that DD's are not easier to hit in cruisers, but its also important to remember that ships and their roles change as the tiers go up. I can absoutely wreck low tier DDs with their poo poo 5km torps in my Kuma or Cleveland - that changes later on when everyone gets 10km+ torps.

Your comparison breaks down because this game is currently mega flawed. There are plenty of situations where the RSP nature of this game does not work at all. For example, situations where DD's and their torps are not all that scary. I'm not worried about that Kagero if my teams Midway perma parks a fighter on top of them. There is nothing funnier in my IJN BB's than realizing a DD is behind me and then just driving away from him while fighting other ships - he only has 8, maybe 10knts on me and it will be very, very hard for him to ever torp me. Again, tier issues come into play. I do fear facing an Iowa alone in my Ibuki because he can citadel me from literally any angle and I don't have my broken Mogami 155's anymore.

I'm not sure the game is really setup in a RSP model right now and I'm not sure forcing it to be more of one is the right call. If anything, I'd rather see more of a WoT model. TDs, heavies and mediums have differences in speed, armor, health, rate of fire, alpha, penetration, etc, but at the end of the day, the % difference tends to be a lot less than in WoWs.

I'm sure you can manage to be aware of incoming torps and shoot your guns at the same time, right? Then you're not "sitting there twiddling your thumbs". Don't act like you can't do anything about destroyers, that's insane. And your teammates being bad doesn't break my analogy in the slightest. Bad players will be bad, and there's nothing you can do about it. That doesn't make you any less effective at dodging DD torpedoes and keeping them honest and away from the BBs. I can't help if your experience with other players means you think you can't do anything about DDs, but my experience as a DD player definitely lets me know that CAs can be effective and defend allies from me. If my torpedoes aren't landing, then I'm contributing nothing, while you can do DPS and screen bombers off your allied ships. You are still a contribution to your team, and the DD is not, meaning you've got a man advantage.

You worry about facing an Iowa in your cruiser... which is to be expected. This is my point, and I keep trying to make it. This shouldn't be fixed, because it is supposed to happen (well, the getting killed by the BB part, not the part where the Iowa takes no damage, lol bugs). Try to torpedo him, or get help from allies. If its just you two left, well, sucks to be you. There's a lot harder counters in this game than BB > CA.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
So I played this game like a champ in CBT, grinding my way to Des Moines and when open beta came out, I generally couldn't be bothered. (That and Witcher 3 ate up my video game time.) It seems like my Atlanta was taken back and the doubloons refunded. I'm liking the look of the Atago? Is that worth it?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

MoraleHazard posted:

So I played this game like a champ in CBT, grinding my way to Des Moines and when open beta came out, I generally couldn't be bothered. (That and Witcher 3 ate up my video game time.) It seems like my Atlanta was taken back and the doubloons refunded. I'm liking the look of the Atago? Is that worth it?

Really I'd make your decision based on what you want to do with your premium. I got the Atago because I figured I'd want to retrain Japanese captains.

Also supposedly the Des Moines is awful in some unspecified way that gives it a truly atrocious win ratio.

It's even worse than WARBEASTY.

The prevailing theory seems to be that at tier 10 alpha>dpm.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Ah, the Murmask. Gotta love it.

Well, that and the fact all the cruisers i came across seemed to cherish trying to broadside me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

wdarkk posted:

Also, this article claims that there's a way to launch torps individually by holding down the alt key. Really?

Tried it, doesn't work. Guessing that was only in closed beta.