Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
And like that, Blip has ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
It's over.

Blip has set sail to the Point of Inaccessibility.

Rest In Piece, Blip. You've had a good run and we'll always remember you.

Well, who's up for booing at Maker Studios for a short while?

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I hope Kyle reviews a movie with Ice Cube in it and does it in the same style as he did the Bowie reviews.

In other words, I want Kyle to gangster rap through a review.

He rapped at the end of his Ghost Dog review, which he's probably not going to hurry to put on his Youtube channel.

Some Russian guy did, though.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Mraagvpeine posted:

And like that, Blip has ended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XATm_XeVfE

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Junior Jr. posted:

It's over.

Blip has set sail to the Point of Inaccessibility.

Rest In Piece, Blip. You've had a good run and we'll always remember you.

Well, who's up for booing at Maker Studios for a short while?

One of the last videos on Blip's front page "Featured":

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Unless something snuck in at the very last minute, this was the last video uploaded to Blip.

I have a new Breaking Spines up, this one on a TSR Choose Your Own Adventure-style gamebook called Dungeon of Fear. It is a spinoff book for Dragonstrike. Yeah, THAT Dragonstrike.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I really hope SF Debris bounces back to his feet after this whole Blip thing. I know some folks recommended Screenwave player and I've had a relatively good experience with it on Linkara's site so that might be the best bet.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

poparena posted:

Unless something snuck in at the very last minute, this was the last video uploaded to Blip.

Cool, also, your monthly reminder to watch Folding Idea's stuff.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Linkara and ChaosD1 talk about their history with Blip.

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

A good poster posted:

He rapped at the end of his Ghost Dog review, which he's probably not going to hurry to put on his Youtube channel.

Some Russian guy did, though.

It's not that I'm in no hurry, it's that the end of that review is suuuuuuper copyright bot triggering.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
I'm steadily engaged in the time consuming task of remastering my old reviews so that I can stick them up on Youtube (trimming back some really overly long clips, fixing some gross edits and so on.) So far very little of what I've put up has been flagged, and fingers crossed that my luck continues. I don't have the original master files so everything's a little bit lo-fi, but..such is the nature of the game.

Oh and along those lines, if anyone would like to see my drag impersonation of Mr Kyle Kallgren, which at the time he was gracious enough to approve, it's now remastered! (I really had no idea how to do an American accent back then.)

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
I suppose I can look back and laugh at Linkara's stupid attempt to get people to stop using AdBlock for his videos and calling Blip "his day job" because it just fired him yesterday.

But seriously is there no other place for reviewers to go other than YouTube? Not even Dailymotion?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Junior Jr. posted:

I suppose I can look back and laugh at Linkara's stupid attempt to get people to stop using AdBlock for his videos and calling Blip "his day job" because it just fired him yesterday.

But seriously is there no other place for reviewers to go other than YouTube? Not even Dailymotion?

Vimeo, as has been stated numerous times by myself and others. Consider reading your av text?

FAKE EDIT: Of course, it's really only an option for people who already have established audiences. Blip was the same, though, but hundreds seemed to be under the impression that they could build an audience on a site nobody visited except for specific content.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

DStecks posted:

FAKE EDIT: Of course, it's really only an option for people who already have established audiences. Blip was the same, though, but hundreds seemed to be under the impression that they could build an audience on a site nobody visited except for specific content.

Which is probably the reason they ultimately went under.

Also, on a related note, we all know by now that that CA is kind of a hot mess and has always been, but it was a convenient hub to catch up with videos. Having three or four sites, with basically now chance to run across new stuff you might like, is still a loss.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

e X posted:

Which is probably the reason they ultimately went under.

Like I said before: content producers are the people who cost you money. Blip's strategy was to cast the biggest net possible for creators, hoping that some of them would attract an audience big enough to pay for all of them, but the internet is really really big, and the vast majority of content producers will never attract a big enough audience to pay for the bandwidth they use. You have three options: 1) be selective about who you let host content (which is what Blip eventually tried but it was too little too late), 2) directly monetize content creators (the Vimeo strategy), or 3) actually cultivate discoverability between creators. If you asked me the secret to YouTube's success, I'd probably say it's the video sidebar.

Blip put the most token effort towards getting people to watch content that wasn't the specific content they were looking for. Look at YouTube's front page: video suggestions categorized by interest type. Blip just had a smattering of recent uploads from "featured channels", which rarely included CA contributors even though I'd bet dollars to donuts that CA was the single largest traffic driver to Blip. The whole site was just a design travesty, created to "look modern and professional" rather than to actually be useful.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Honestly, a lot of youtube's success is probably grandfathered in. It was the first large video sharing site and for many people, it is almost synonymous with watching videos online. Or was at least. A funny thing to do is guessing third party flash players development date by matching them to the youtube gui of any given year. And this kind of branding and market share also puts you into the powerful position that all potential competitor basically has to copy your model and then still has to find a reason why people should use their platform and nor the one that already exists.

But yes, the way youtube lets you discover new content is pretty great. Going on a youtube crawl is still pretty fun.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I certainly discovered most (but not all) of the music I like via YouTube. I remember a fella on the radio bemoaning how YouTube is the reason the Rolling Stones would never form today - they got together because Keith Richards had a blues record Mick Jagger wanted to listen to, whereas today he could just look it up online. :D

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

e X posted:

Honestly, a lot of youtube's success is probably grandfathered in. It was the first large video sharing site and for many people, it is almost synonymous with watching videos online. Or was at least. A funny thing to do is guessing third party flash players development date by matching them to the youtube gui of any given year. And this kind of branding and market share also puts you into the powerful position that all potential competitor basically has to copy your model and then still has to find a reason why people should use their platform and nor the one that already exists.

Well yeah, of course this is a factor, I'm just saying it's probably the main reason why it won out. Or at least, the discoverability is what led YouTube to become a destination, rather than "the place where my favourite video maker hosts their videos", and that destination status is why YouTube has remained so dominant. It also can't be discounted that much of YouTube's early success was in one-off viral videos, which led very naturally to video crawling. When you build your site around "shows" like Blip tried to, then it's much more of a fight to get users looking at other content.

Facebook wasn't the first social network. Not by a longshot. Being the first is an advantage, but only if you can use it to your advantage, to leverage what exclusivity gives you, and YouTube did that expertly.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
The problem with Dailymotion and Vimeo is that they're not much better than Youtube when it comes to what content is allowed. Vimeo straight up banned anything using video game footage. One reviewer, Isaac the Media Hunter, already got a movie review removed from their Dailymotion page.

Dailymotion's player is also pretty garbage as it likes to skip video frames I've noticed.

Edit: The Rangoons seem to have discovered a new video host altogether: page using the new host here

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Aug 21, 2015

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Junior Jr. posted:

Blip WAS his day job. And making video content still is, though now he's largely financed through Patreon.

God, internet babies got SO MAD at him over that. I still don't get it.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Chimera-gui posted:

Edit: The Rangoons seem to have discovered a new video host altogether: page using the new host here

It looks like the Springboard video player, I know Spoony's been using it for his videos, unless it's a different video player.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chimera-gui posted:

The problem with Dailymotion and Vimeo is that they're not much better than Youtube when it comes to what content is allowed. Vimeo straight up banned anything using video game footage. One reviewer, Isaac the Media Hunter, already got a movie review removed from their Dailymotion page.

Dailymotion's player is also pretty garbage as it likes to skip video frames I've noticed.

Have to admit, I do like the Rangoon's riffs and rifflets :allears:.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I remember when some people like Phelous and Lupa/Allison were using Springboard. And then they went back to Blip. Doesn't exactly inspire much confidence.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Mraagvpeine posted:

I remember when some people like Phelous and Lupa/Allison were using Springboard. And then they went back to Blip. Doesn't exactly inspire much confidence.

How long ago was this? Cause we might see a return to Springboard following Blip's demise depending on how copyright stuff is handled.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

It's been years. Probably 2012.

EDIT: After a quick check, yes it was 2012. Incidentally, the Zen Film incident occurred during this time. I'm wondering if Allison is still sticking to the "no more Zen Films" declaration she made.

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 21, 2015

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

DoctorWhat posted:

I still don't get it.

I think a lot of it was that Blip's ad mechanics were poo poo. Things that come to mind for me were ads not loading, stuff not loading after ads, ads being too fuckoff loud, etc. Every time I decided to disable adblock and be nice, Blip reminded me why no, I'm not disabling ads.

Re: Blip, I think the most salient thing about it was that its identity was all about how it was not certain things. It did not have its own community, it did not bother with copyright quickly, etc.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Mraagvpeine posted:

It's been years. Probably 2012.

EDIT: After a quick check, yes it was 2012. Incidentally, the Zen Film incident occurred during this time. I'm wondering if Allison is still sticking to the "no more Zen Films" declaration she made.

Well a lot can happen in that time span, Springboard's player has definitely improved significantly since then if this video's any indication of how it used to be: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI6tmK2uMUk

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 21, 2015

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Mraagvpeine posted:

Incidentally, the Zen Film incident occurred during this time. I'm wondering if Allison is still sticking to the "no more Zen Films" declaration she made.

For sure. There's no reason to deal with Scott Shaw, who's pretty shady and likes to raise a stink about any criticisms toward his work. He tried to remove my re-edit of my Zen Films video even though the re-edit was just audio and text. Besides, there are other films to talk about anyway, so no loss. :) It was fun while it lasted.

As for Springboard, yeah, Phelan and I used it, but they didn't monetize videos as much as Blip did and I was making more off of archive videos sitting doing nothing on Blip than Springboard. At a time where I depended solely on ad revenue, it hurt. Not to mention, a lot of people had issues using the player, and that hurt the audience. This might be different now, since it was a while ago, but I am still a little cautious of it since it could easily go the same way Blip did. I suppose that's the same for any kind of alternative player.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Miss Wallace posted:

As for Springboard, yeah, Phelan and I used it, but they didn't monetize videos as much as Blip did and I was making more off of archive videos sitting doing nothing on Blip than Springboard. At a time where I depended solely on ad revenue, it hurt. Not to mention, a lot of people had issues using the player, and that hurt the audience. This might be different now, since it was a while ago, but I am still a little cautious of it since it could easily go the same way Blip did. I suppose that's the same for any kind of alternative player.

While I won't deny that were likely issues years ago, I'm judging Springboard solely by what the player is as of right now. And so far, I haven't seen any issues with the player itself. And while hesitation regarding the host's lifespan is to be expected given recent events, the website seems fairly confident about its chances.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
The Archive Team I mentioned earlier has worked out a special deal with Blip to allow them to continue scraping the site until the servers are physically shut down (which they estimate will happen in a day or so). If you have any spare bandwidth to contribute now is the time to do so since there are still around 100k outstanding videos to download and the Archive Team will not get them all at their current download rate. Here is how you can contribute, if you want to:
  1. Download and install VirtualBox
  2. Download and import the Archive Team Warrior VirtualBox Appliance into VirtualBox
  3. After you import the appliance run it through the VirtualBox Manager
  4. When the appliance finishes booting it will show a screen telling you to navigate to localhost:8001 in a browser, do so
  5. Fill in a name and then (optionally) check the "Show Advanced Settings" box and increase the "Concurrent items" from 2 to 6 and "Rsync threads" from 1 to 2 (these are based on my experience with Blip.tv's bandwidth for download and the Archive Team's servers for uploading). Save you changes.
  6. On the Available Projects screen click the "Work on this Project" button for the Blip.tv project

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

DoctorWhat posted:

Blip WAS his day job. And making video content still is, though now he's largely financed through Patreon.

God, internet babies got SO MAD at him over that. I still don't get it.

I think it's because he's popular, but does a lot of the stuff people hate about internet critics.

I don't really enjoy watching him, but outside of his videos he seems alright.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Chimera-gui posted:

While I won't deny that were likely issues years ago, I'm judging Springboard solely by what the player is as of right now. And so far, I haven't seen any issues with the player itself. And while hesitation regarding the host's lifespan is to be expected given recent events, the website seems fairly confident about its chances.

It definitely seems improved, so I won't rule it out. :)

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Don't the AVGN use Springboard?

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Tired Moritz posted:

Don't the AVGN use Springboard?

I think it's either that or JWplayer.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I believe it's Screenwave actually, the same player Linkara uses on his site.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

e X posted:

Also, on a related note, we all know by now that that CA is kind of a hot mess and has always been, but it was a convenient hub to catch up with videos. Having three or four sites, with basically now chance to run across new stuff you might like, is still a loss.

Speaking of which, jebus flipping crumpets I can't believe this: http://channelawesome.com/goodbye-blip-and-what-it-means-to-channel-awesome/

This was seriously said in 2015 (emphasis mine) posted:

Blip is now gone for good. 95% of Doug’s content has already been swapped and is playable on the site. The rest of the producers will be swapped as we get their embed codes.

They went through all that trouble to create a brand spankin' new website, to "modernize" it-- and it doesn't have the ability for authors to post their own content or edit existing content. Authors have to email their embed codes? To whom, The Webmaster?

I could see there being some sort of posting policy-- like, you can post anything you want, but it gets posted in "to be approved" state and gets scheduled by a super admin. But not being able to log in as an author and edit your archive to, say, change a video link? Wowsies.

Speaking of out-of-date web concepts: all this discussion on which sites have the better player. I can't believe we still are tied to embedded flash players on slow-as-crap web pages. Wouldn't it be amazing if you could click play, and the stream just popped up in your VLC? No layer after layer of abstraction. NO worrying about "full screen mode". No stuttering and skipping. Just a lightweight high quality , standalone video player directly downloading the video. Sigh, perchance to dream.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

lornekates posted:

Speaking of out-of-date web concepts: all this discussion on which sites have the better player. I can't believe we still are tied to embedded flash players on slow-as-crap web pages. Wouldn't it be amazing if you could click play, and the stream just popped up in your VLC? No layer after layer of abstraction. NO worrying about "full screen mode". No stuttering and skipping. Just a lightweight high quality , standalone video player directly downloading the video. Sigh, perchance to dream.

Isn't that what RealPlayer was and video streaming/downloading pre-2005?

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Junior Jr. posted:

Isn't that what RealPlayer was and video streaming/downloading pre-2005?

Ouch.

(In fairness, VLC isn't RealPlayer... but now I have PTSD and can't argue)

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Also flash players are already being phased out in favor of HTML5 players, for what it's worth. Seems to help some speedwise, at least, though maybe that's just me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Flash sucks, but so many websites still use it and gently caress Firefox if they think trying to disable flash in my browser to try and kill it will stop me from using it.

• Locked thread