Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Don Lapre posted:

The dinky cooler and single 8pin power is gonna limit you though. If you want air cooled fury get a fury

If they unlock at all to Fury/Fury X then MSI and ASUS will likely have custom PCB versions for people who want to gamble on a 150$ cheaper Fury/Fury X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I wonder if it will be reference only.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Don Lapre posted:

If you are using Nvidia SLI stay away from Windows 10. its broken.

That's kind of what I figured myself.

Bumped up from 1468 to 1503 and my score went down :( Womp womp. http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/8287269

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

I wonder if it will be reference only.
AMD stops doing that sort of thing about 3-6 months after a card's release.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Don Lapre posted:

If you are using Nvidia SLI stay away from Windows 10. its broken.

Do you mind showing your work on this? I would do it myself, but phone.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

AMD stops doing that sort of thing about 3-6 months after a card's release.

Yield issue where they don't know where the chip is going to end up so they just let em fall where they may?

Then once yields are under control they can afford to cut them for the cheaper stuff?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

SlayVus posted:

Do you mind showing your work on this? I would do it myself, but phone.

A number of games have memory leaks. Battlefield games seem to be the worst offenders. Basically it will eat vram until you get a DX out of memory crash.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

veedubfreak posted:

That's kind of what I figured myself.

Bumped up from 1468 to 1503 and my score went down :( Womp womp. http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/8287269

How much does FS1.1 differ from Firestrike. I get 21600 on my 1300mhz titan x's

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

Yield issue where they don't know where the chip is going to end up so they just let em fall where they may?

Then once yields are under control they can afford to cut them for the cheaper stuff?
I'm guessing it's more of a stability concern more than anything. GIven that the regular Fury got released non-reference and AMD reference PCBs/cooling solutions are often demonstratably bad, the Fury X will probably have non-reference boards pretty soon. Nano might be released reference only to stave off the people unlocking them for a little bit if it's full-core Fiji, but somehow I doubt that, given how the yields on having working chips at all is so bad.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Don Lapre posted:

How much does FS1.1 differ from Firestrike. I get 21600 on my 1300mhz titan x's

I think 1.1 is just an update to the test. Managed to hit 21985. Going to test +200/+400 :)

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/8288024

Welp, looks like 195 is my cap. 200/0 crashes, but 195/400 is clean. Time for a better bios.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 21, 2015

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill
I had this card because my computer had no AGP slot (P2 450mhz with integrated ATI Rage 128 on the mobo iirc). It was poo poo. Well, at least compared to the 3000 version on AGP which ran anything you'd throw at it super smoothly back in the day. I've since wised up on my graphics card buys.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Marinmo posted:

I had this card because my computer had no AGP slot (P2 450mhz with integrated ATI Rage 128 on the mobo iirc). It was poo poo. Well, at least compared to the 3000 version on AGP which ran anything you'd throw at it super smoothly back in the day. I've since wised up on my graphics card buys.

dat 16bit color though

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Don Lapre posted:

dat 16bit color though

22bit colors were enough to heatshot bitches in Tribes :colbert:

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

DrDork posted:

22bit colors were enough to heatshot bitches in Tribes :colbert:

I remember trying to play vengeance on a 5x00 Nvidia PCI card. That was just slow and horrible. Like it was just one step above bare minimum.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

So if I've upgraded to Windows 10, I guess I should disable SLI until they get some driver or DirectX updates that unfuck things? On the bright side, PhysX gonna scream.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Subjunctive posted:

So if I've upgraded to Windows 10, I guess I should disable SLI until they get some driver or DirectX updates that unfuck things? On the bright side, PhysX gonna scream.

Just roll back before you do something stupid like cleaning out old system files to save space.

Once you have upgraded you have a key.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

veedubfreak posted:

ProduKey works for getting your win 10 key to wrote it down on a piece of paper.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

Useful for doing fresh installation from a USB drive.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
ITT: windows 10 support megathread

I'm probably going to image all my systems, roll them forward for the free upgrade, and then restore the images until GPU drivers and stuff stabilize.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

veedubfreak posted:

Just roll back before you do something stupid like cleaning out old system files to save space.

I've got tons of space and a single 980 Ti will still give a decent experience for a month while they figure their poo poo out.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

ITT: windows 10 support megathread

Is there some free key deadline that people are bothering to upgrade just to downgrade again?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SlayVus posted:

ProduKey works for getting your win 10 key to wrote it down on a piece of paper.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

Useful for doing fresh installation from a USB drive.

Every Windows 10 that was upgraded from windows 7 or 8 has the same product key (for pro, it ends is 36VVT). The upgrade process submits a hardware id to microsoft, that then 'blesses' it for use with windows 10, so you can install as much as you like once you have finished the first upgrade.

What constitutes a hardware id MS hasn't said, but likely mainly consists of MB and CPU.

DrDork posted:

Is there some free key deadline that people are bothering to upgrade just to downgrade again?

The free upgrade promotion officially ends July 29th, 2016. MS may choose to extend it, depending on how stabilized windows 10 has gotten.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

EoRaptor posted:

The free upgrade promotion officially ends July 29th, 2016. MS may choose to extend it, depending on how stabilized windows 10 has gotten.
So I'm good to keep waiting a few more months for MS to unfuck themselves with it. Got it.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
poo poo, I'm going to wait until the last possible moment to upgrade, if I upgrade at all. I'm not pleased by the way Microsoft is trying to get people to have a login with them and other assorted eyebrow-raising practices.

And before you ask, if I could, I would, but I can't, because SolidWorks and my CAM software don't work on Linux, even under WINE.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

EoRaptor posted:

What constitutes a hardware id MS hasn't said, but likely mainly consists of MB and CPU.
I changed my motherboard after upgrading and it invalidated my Win10 install. :(

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Mutation posted:

Wait, did he say that their Sandy Bridge software processor is only almost as fast as a Voodoo 3 2000? :psyduck:

CPU-side rendering really, really sucks, especially since the code from 1999 is, at best, using SSE1.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
This fun little article came out a few days ago:
http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2015/08/directx-12-tested-an-early-win-for-amd-and-disappointment-for-nvidia/1/

DX12 made an AMD Radeon R9 290x perform just as well as an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti. Is this just a limitation with NVIDIA's hardware or are they just doing something like translating DX12 calls into DX11? I guess this finally shows just how terrible AMD's DX11 drivers are.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Nalin posted:

This fun little article came out a few days ago:
http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2015/08/directx-12-tested-an-early-win-for-amd-and-disappointment-for-nvidia/1/

DX12 made an AMD Radeon R9 290x perform just as well as an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti. Is this just a limitation with NVIDIA's hardware or are they just doing something like translating DX12 calls into DX11? I guess this finally shows just how terrible AMD's DX11 drivers are.

Mentioned earlier, but yeah. Man, if AMD had anyone worth a drat working on their drivers, Kepler would have been an awful time for Nvidia, while AMD rode Maxwell level success.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Do we know it's actually drivers, or is it architecture, though?

Like, GCN was made for mantle, maybe that's why DX11 performance is poo poo?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Truga posted:

Do you have any more information on this? I'd love to learn more about how Mantle influenced GCN's design.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
DX12 is also supposed to incorporate Mantle like elements in its design, allowing lower level hardware abstraction

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yes, that's basically the whole point of DX12, I think!

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Subjunctive posted:

Do you have any more information on this? I'd love to learn more about how Mantle influenced GCN's design.

E: misunderstood

Iirc mantle was influenced by gcn not the other way around

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Truga posted:

Do we know it's actually drivers, or is it architecture, though?

All that benchmark really shows is what everybody already knew: AMD's DX11 drivers are poo poo and Nvidia puts a lot of effort into optimized app-specific driver paths (especially anything benchmark related). Even on the AMD side, their driver writers can write a DX11 path that beats Mantle if they want to.

Explicit APIs like Vulkan and DX12 are good in that they provide a mostly level field between hardware manufacturers since it gives developers direct control over things the driver used to have to manage. The downside is that it's going to be really hard to optimize things to the same extent as a team of Nvidia smarty-man driver programmers.

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.

EoRaptor posted:

Every Windows 10 that was upgraded from windows 7 or 8 has the same product key (for pro, it ends is 36VVT). The upgrade process submits a hardware id to microsoft, that then 'blesses' it for use with windows 10, so you can install as much as you like once you have finished the first upgrade.

So how do I keep my copy of Win10 if I'm getting a new MB/CPU/RAM? Do i have to install Win8.1 and upgrade again?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

LooKMaN posted:

So how do I keep my copy of Win10 if I'm getting a new MB/CPU/RAM? Do i have to install Win8.1 and upgrade again?

Sounds about right.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

LooKMaN posted:

As far as we know yes, no idea what happens a year from now unless they make win10 free forever.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
You can buy copies of windows 10 in shops (or just buy a key online once you install it). Technically, a new motherboard is a new PC as far as MIcrosoft is concerned, so you should be buying a new copy of windows to go with it. The free offer is only to upgrade existing, activated copies of windows 7/8 to get as many people onto windows 10 as possible.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

It really isn't difficult.

Within the year they give you to upgrade, UPGRADE an eligible OS to Windows 10.

If you swap out components, like you crazy loving people thinking MB/CPU/RAM isn't a new computer, install your OS (7, 8.0, 8.1) and upgrade.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dead Goon posted:

If you swap out components, like you crazy loving people thinking MB/CPU/RAM isn't a new computer, install your OS (7, 8.0, 8.1) and upgrade.
While this isn't an unreasonable statement, when you buy Windows, you buy 1 license. When you replace a computer, you're still only using the 1 license.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Except nearly everyone buys OEM licenses where that statement does not apply. That restriction is why it costs less.