Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

U.S.
AT&T bring your own phone plan

My current phone (iPhone 4s) is the only smart phone I have ever owned, so I am lost on choices. It has just gotten too slow. I did a factory reset and that didn't fix anything.

I am not stuck on Apple especially since I pay full price for a phone with my plan.

I use my phone for texting, GPS, and taking pictures mostly. I listen to podcasts, but I'm sure most phones handle those. I do not want a Windows phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

3rd generation Moto G (16 GB), 3rd generation Moto X (if you can wait a little), Nexus 6, Samsung Galaxy S6, iPhone 6 (but probably wait since there will be an Apple event the start of September)

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Mad Hamish posted:

In Canada (southern Ontario, if it matters), with Telus, currently with a Galaxy S3. I'm going to be up for a contract renewal in September and I'd like to see hat I can manage, plan-wise. Right now I pay about $70 a month for 1 gb of data, unlimited local/long distance to a list of 10 people, something like 200 phone minutes, unlimited texting and, ah, caller ID I think?

I'd like to get more in the way of data because I'm starting to use more than I did when I first got on this plan, but I'd like to not have to pay through the goddamn nose for the privilege. Most of what I do on my phone is some Internet use, heavy forums use, lots of Twitter, and not much in the way of games or video watching. Maybe I'd do more of that if I had more data available and a phone that didn't get crazy hot and burn through its battery in an hour?
I don't know how good Wind's coverage is in Southern Ontario, but that might be something to look at if you're testing the waters.

Otherwise, it looks like Telus/Koodo/Virgin might be your best bet, and (as much as I hate to join the bandwagon) a lot of it has to do with the 3rd gen Moto G. For a couple bucks a month more, you can double your data and get a decent smartphone that you probably won't later regret buying. I just picked up a Moto G last week (Koodo has a $48 activation credit, in addition to a $50 in-store credit right now), and holy poo poo what loving business does a $168CAD phone have to be this good.

If you're using a lot of data, try looking into wifi hotspots. In southern Ontario, your choice might only be Bell, but if you already have Bell as your isp or television provider, then you can connect to any of their wifi hotspots that are scattered across the country. Depending on where you live and where you go, there might be other options (ex. Shaw has set up thousands of wifi hotspots in the west that any shaw customer can securely connect to, for example).

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 20, 2015

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I'm in the US currently on a month-to-month plan with T-Mobile. I love the plan, it's $30/month for 5GB of data, unlimited texting, and 100 minutes talk, however the network sucks. I live in Phoenix (and not on the outskirts) and my connection is abysmal. Most of the time my data reception is at a single bar (either 3G or H+) regardless of my location. I have a Sony Xperia Z3C.

Mainly what I'm looking for is a data-heavy plan on a good network, talk and text can be whatever because I hardly use them. I know it's probably not possible to find such a low monthly price elsewhere, so I don't mind increasing what I'm paying as long as I can be confident in the network.

Alternatively, I'll take recommendations of strong networks, and do the research on plans myself. I just don't know which networks are better than T-Mobile.

Shoren fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 20, 2015

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Shoren posted:

I'm in the US currently on a month-to-month plan with T-Mobile. I love the plan, it's $30/month for 5GB of data, unlimited texting, and 100 minutes talk, however the network sucks. I live in Phoenix (and not on the outskirts) and my connection is abysmal. Most of the time my data reception is at a single bar (either 3G or H+) regardless of my location. I have a Sony Xperia Z3C.

Mainly what I'm looking for is a data-heavy plan on a good network, talk and text can be whatever because I hardly use them. I know it's probably not possible to find such a low monthly price elsewhere, so I don't mind increasing what I'm paying as long as I can be confident in the network.

Alternatively, I'll take recommendations of strong networks, and do the research on plans myself. I just don't know which networks are better than T-Mobile.

I believe Cricket offers 10gb/month for 55$ with auto pay. I got in at 20gb a month for 55$ and have had no service problems anywhere I've gone in the country since they are owned by at&t and are an AT&T mvno. They do cap your speed at like... 8mbps on LTE, but I've never run into any problems, and I can almost guarantee it's faster than what you have now.

electricHyena
Sep 12, 2005

oh no not again
In the US. Need a recommendation for my family. 3 people, currently on an AT&T family plan that has 1400 minutes with rollover, unlimited text, and 3GB data. They also have insurance on all 3 phones. Their total bill is $200 a month. They really need to stay here if not lower.

They all have iphone 4's (not S) and have been out of contract. They REALLY need to upgrade - at least to an iphone 5 if not a 6.

They have never gone over 3GB data. My aunt's big thing is "coverage" and "enough room for my pictures."

Recommendations?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

electricHyena posted:

In the US. Need a recommendation for my family. 3 people, currently on an AT&T family plan that has 1400 minutes with rollover, unlimited text, and 3GB data. They also have insurance on all 3 phones. Their total bill is $200 a month. They really need to stay here if not lower.

They all have iphone 4's (not S) and have been out of contract. They REALLY need to upgrade - at least to an iphone 5 if not a 6.

They have never gone over 3GB data. My aunt's big thing is "coverage" and "enough room for my pictures."

Recommendations?

The iPhone 6 should come down in price in a few weeks when the new ones come around. Seems like the best choice to me.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

electricHyena posted:

Recommendations?

If no one has unlimited data the new mobile share plans are legit cheaper, even after having to buy future said phones on installments. I would switch to mobile share 15GB, buy whatever phones, and get it set. FYI insurance is debatable, unless they know someone is prone to losing said phone they can save money by dropping it.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Bought a MotoX, babby's 1st Android.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
In the UK on Three (but on a rolling one month contract so provider doesn't need to be an issue). My iPhone 5 is two years old and after dropping it the other day a couple of things are wrong with it and I want to replace it. I use a fair amount of data so I'm on three's unlimited data plan and I'm happy enough just buying a phone outright rather than being locked in for two years. I've been on iPhones for the last six years but I'm not averse to changing to android. I do web browsing, a fair few games, the usual social media assortment. The Galaxy s6 and the iphone 6 are looking pretty good to me, but as I'm a clueless phone idiot are there any other safe bets? Also is the s6 edge worth bothering with or is the edge just a gimmick and not useful?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you're happy using an iPhone, there's not really any good reason to switch. It will certainly be much easier to change phones that going to an Android.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

In the UK on Three (but on a rolling one month contract so provider doesn't need to be an issue). My iPhone 5 is two years old and after dropping it the other day a couple of things are wrong with it and I want to replace it. I use a fair amount of data so I'm on three's unlimited data plan and I'm happy enough just buying a phone outright rather than being locked in for two years. I've been on iPhones for the last six years but I'm not averse to changing to android. I do web browsing, a fair few games, the usual social media assortment. The Galaxy s6 and the iphone 6 are looking pretty good to me, but as I'm a clueless phone idiot are there any other safe bets? Also is the s6 edge worth bothering with or is the edge just a gimmick and not useful?

The conventional wisdom is that if you want the worst possible Android experience, choose Samsung. You should just stick with the iPhone though.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Cheers both, I'll do that then.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

Agreed with the others, and since they didn't mention it, the Edge is incredibly gimmicky. It distorts anything on the edges of the screen and makes the phone harder to hold. Really really dumb.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
Provider: Verizon
Current contract status: More Everything with a mix of month to month and on contract devices
Budget: $150–400
Features I know I want: Android. Expandable memory and a user replaceable battery are major pluses.

After five years of commendable service, my Droid X is getting a little long in the tooth. The replacement battery I got for it is starting to diminish in capacity to the point where it's become noticeable, and the trend towards new phones not having microSD slots or removable batteries has got me a bit concerned about my options moving forward if I wait much longer. It looks like the Note 4 is one of the few available options with both of these features, but the price is a little steeper than I'd like and I'm not entirely sure I need everything that the Note line offers over a regular phone.

I only really use my phone for the Awful app and reading an occasional PDF these days, but Verizon Wireless has also become my only ISP for the foreseeable future, so something with a better web browsing experience than what I currently have and the ability to tether my wifi-only tablet would also be appreciated.

Are there any other alternatives out there that I haven't noticed? Should I just bite the bullet and get a Note 4? Or should I take a gamble and wait it out to see if the features I prefer return to popularity, purchasing a Moto G (or similar) in the meantime?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Verizon Moto G is only intended for prepaid and doesn't have LTE. Don't get that.

Those features you want are going away, but I doubt they'll ever be gone completely. LG is still using them, so you could get a used G3 in your budget or get a G4 under Edge. I can't really understand why you wouldn't be willing to spend the money for the best thing you can get when you clearly keep your phones for a really long time.

Zakath
Mar 22, 2001

I'm currently on Verizon and have a 1st gen Moto X, paying about $70 a month after taxes (450 minutes + 2GB data, and my company's discount). I'd like to switch to Ting's GSM network, but their compatibility checker says that my phone is not compatible, even though I've found people posting on their forums saying that the Verizon Moto X works fine on the GSM network. Anyone have any experience or know anything about this? I guess I could just buy a $9 sim card and take my chances, but I thought I'd check here first.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Check out willmyphonework.net

Edit: sorry dumb phone posted to fast. But seriously, check that site out it will tell you explicitly if your phone will work or not :) it's a great site

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Zakath posted:

I'm currently on Verizon and have a 1st gen Moto X, paying about $70 a month after taxes (450 minutes + 2GB data, and my company's discount). I'd like to switch to Ting's GSM network, but their compatibility checker says that my phone is not compatible, even though I've found people posting on their forums saying that the Verizon Moto X works fine on the GSM network. Anyone have any experience or know anything about this? I guess I could just buy a $9 sim card and take my chances, but I thought I'd check here first.
IIRC, the 2013 Verizon Moto X will have GSM compatibility but not LTE since it only has Verizon's bands, which is probably what it's saying. It'll work, but it might not be the best experience.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
I send you this file in order to have your advice!
I need some advice and I'm too ignorant of the used phone market to know what to do.

Last October, I upgraded from an S3 to the Note 4 on the Verizon edge plan. I really liked the Note 4 but my dumb rear end lost it in a mall 6 months later and had to go back to my S3. My S3 is fine, but I really want a Note 4 again. I am still paying off my original in monthly installments via my bill, but I don't want to wait to upgrade through Verizon.

Now that the Note 5 is out, can I expect to find a mint condition Note 4 for a reasonable price anywhere? If so, where are the best places to find used phones that aren't Craigslist? Or am I better off waiting and getting a Note 5 when my Note 4 is paid off enough?

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Provider: None
Current Contract Status: None
Budget: <=$60/mo
Desired Features: Skype access, useability anywhere

Hi everyone, I just got back from three years living and working in Japan, and I'd like to request some advice. I'm sorry if this question has been asked a bunch of times already, or if this isn't the correct forum for this question, but here goes:

My wife and I are interested in doing away with cell phone plans, and would just like to use our iPads as our cell phone. We both have iPad2s (which I understand are capable of using 3G when hooked up to a mobile hotspot).
Can anyone recommend a decent mobile hotspot/provider for service? I don't really have any brand loyalty, just so long as it's less expensive than your average smart phone plan.

Again, sorry if this has been answered already.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

So. I get that you want to use your iPads worth Skype or whatever in lieu of cell phones. Are you trying to do this outside the home? If not, you don't need a mobile hotspot assuming you have wifi available.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

So. I get that you want to use your iPads worth Skype or whatever in lieu of cell phones. Are you trying to do this outside the home? If not, you don't need a mobile hotspot assuming you have wifi available.

Yeah, we'd like to be able to use our iPads while we're out and about. The iPads aren't connected to any service provider, so we don't have wifi outside of the odd coffee house or bar. Ideally, we'd want to be able to plug in wherever and be able to send/receive calls through our own mobile hotspots.

I've already got unlimited calls through skype and my own Skype number, so if I could just have some way to be connected to the internet pretty much anywhere, I'd be set.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Yeah, we'd like to be able to use our iPads while we're out and about. The iPads aren't connected to any service provider, so we don't have wifi outside of the odd coffee house or bar. Ideally, we'd want to be able to plug in wherever and be able to send/receive calls through our own mobile hotspots.

I've already got unlimited calls through skype and my own Skype number, so if I could just have some way to be connected to the internet pretty much anywhere, I'd be set.

You might have the best experience just getting a cheap phone and the T-Mobile nerd plan, $30/mo for 100 minutes, unlimited text, 5 or 10gb data, I don't remember exactly.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
I want a cheap smartphone that can run spotify and youtube, don't care about much else. Have a Galaxy S5 but those are the only things I used so I'm going to sell it and get a cheaper phone. Any suggestions?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Infinite Monkeys posted:

I want a cheap smartphone that can run spotify and youtube, don't care about much else. Have a Galaxy S5 but those are the only things I used so I'm going to sell it and get a cheaper phone. Any suggestions?

Moto G 2015 with 2GB RAM

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dungeon Ecology posted:

I guess I don't understand why you don't just buy phones at that point. You can get a pair of Moto G's (or even Moto E's if you don't really care that much about how good the phone is) and $30 T-Mobile prepaid plans and have something vastly more useful and portable than carrying around a mobile hotspot and an iPad everywhere.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Got $99? http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Moto-2nd-Generation-LTE/dp/B00TFAVFLE

Got $220? The 2015 Moto G with 2GB RAM from motorola site.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

I guess I don't understand why you don't just buy phones at that point. You can get a pair of Moto G's (or even Moto E's if you don't really care that much about how good the phone is) and $30 T-Mobile prepaid plans and have something vastly more useful and portable than carrying around a mobile hotspot and an iPad everywhere.

I see your point, I'll check into the Moto Gs and see if there's a decent family plan that my wife and I can get on together. Thanks!

My only gripe I guess is that I'd be carrying around both the smartphone and the iPad, which both have a lot of overlapping features. I'd much rather consolidate all of my devices into one, and if a mobile hotspot means I don't have to buy a $220 phone, that still sounds like a better deal to me.

Dungeon Ecology fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 28, 2015

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Dungeon Ecology posted:

I see your point, I'll check into the Moto Gs and see if there's a decent family plan that my wife and I can get on together. Thanks!

My only gripe I guess is that I'd be carrying around both the smartphone and the iPad, which both have a lot of overlapping features. I'd much rather consolidate all of my devices into one, and if a mobile hotspot means I don't have to buy a $220 phone, that still sounds like a better deal to me.

Why would you carry around an iPad 2 everywhere? If you want something to make calls, browse the internet, etc, while you're out and about... you want a smartphone :)

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

I can't really understand why you wouldn't be willing to spend the money for the best thing you can get when you clearly keep your phones for a really long time.
What would you recommend if my budget was higher? Let's say somewhere around $400–650.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

RVProfootballer posted:

Why would you carry around an iPad 2 everywhere? If you want something to make calls, browse the internet, etc, while you're out and about... you want a smartphone :)

Because, although I have an iPad, I don't have a smartphone, and I'm not really interested in getting one if the device I have serves 95% of the same functions as a smartphone does.
I just moved back to the states from Japan and, without a steady source of income or place to live at the moment, putting $220 down on a smartphone, or buying into a several year plan doesn't seem like the best idea.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Because, although I have an iPad, I don't have a smartphone, and I'm not really interested in getting one if the device I have serves 95% of the same functions as a smartphone does.
I just moved back to the states from Japan and, without a steady source of income or place to live at the moment, putting $220 down on a smartphone, or buying into a several year plan doesn't seem like the best idea.

Well, the hotspot won't be free, and I suspect for most carriers, a hotspot only plan isn't going to be any cheaper than a cheap phone plan (I could be wrong though). Definitely compare prices and see, but an iPad 2 + mobile hotspot is going to be super fiddly to use as a phone, and a Moto E for $100 or Moto G for $220 on the T-Mobile $30/month nerd plan might not end up being any more expensive. I would just keep an open mind about it. And if you do decide on a cheap phone, check back here before buying if you can, because there are some awful budget Android phones and some much nicer budget Android phones.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 29, 2015

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I just picked up a burner moto e since my home and possessions were destroyed in a flood. Surprisingly decent device for what it is and it only cost me 48$. Gets my recommendation for "homeless goon phone"

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly
What is the worst, cheapest phone you can get snapchat on? I need to ship one overseas.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

madey posted:

What is the worst, cheapest phone you can get snapchat on? I need to ship one overseas.

Probably some no name Indian or Chinese phone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That you can actually get in the US? A Moto E, I guess. Amazon has 1st gen for $70. Looking at other, cheaper options, you get some combination of 1) doesn't have Play Store access, so getting Snapchat would require sideloading and who knows if it would work or 2) only on Android 2.3, and Snapchat needs 4.0 or higher. Your dick pics will look good enough on a Moto E and I'm sure your mail-order bride is worth at least $70.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Hey phone recommendation thread. I'm on verizon with an off contract unlimited data plan, and broke my 1st gen moto x. I'm considering going to one of their new plans because they are now offering a pretty decent amount of data at a reasonable price. My understanding is that you don't get a good discount on new phones with the new plans so I need a new one not from the verizon store either way.

Looking for an android, new or used, preferably under $200. Seems like a used ver 2 moto x is my best bet? Actually something slightly smaller and water resistant would be better. Looks like the new moto g would fit the bill on all counts except it doesn't work with verizon? I bike a lot and would keep my phone in a ziplock bag in my pocket so it stayed dry, being able to throw it in there and not worry about rain/sweat would be nice.

jamal fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Aug 31, 2015

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
I'm currently on a (grandfathered?) unlimited data/messaging plan from ATT but I'm off contract and willing to switch for something cheaper. I don't have tethering and otherwise use <3gb of data per month so I feel like I'm overpaying.

I have an S2 Skyrocket and I'd like to get a new phone if I can get one with a higher-res screen (S2 has 480x800) and faster processor. Is there that much of a difference between 720 and 1080 screens? The Motorola Moto G (3rd gen) looks good aside from that. I'm not going to be doing gaming or HD video but the resolution on my current phone makes small text pretty awful.

tl;dr:
Contract/Carrier: Off-contract ATT. My area seems to have coverage from Verizon>ATT>Sprint>T-Mobile
Budget: <$80/month for the plan. <$300 for the phone.
Features: Removable SD, high-res, new.

Edit: Anyone have experience with the Verizon 'Switch and Save' promotion? It says that you get $300 for any working smartphone. Can I turn in my HTC Tilt 2/Fortress? It technically fits the description but it appraises at $1 using their tool.

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
So im torn between the z3+ and the galaxy s6 edge right now..I really like Samsung phones and their screens but everyone so far has been telling me to go for the Sony.

Can anyone here confirm which is better or nicer to use?